Macross 25th Anniversary TV Special thread *READ THE 1ST POST*

azrael

Rating  

298 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of the TV special?

• Oh baby! I need new pants.
    • I need to see more or no comment.
    • Boring. Change the channel, NOW .

Time for some VF-171 lovin'.

Graham

Nice!

Really lovin' that fighter already.

Pretty colourscheme aswell.

Seems to me the VF-171 is more geared towards space use than the VF-25, which has better aerodynamic qualities for atmospheric conditions.

Also love the way how the exo-suits interact with the fighters. Really a novel feature that make Macross feel less dated.

The heightened awareness of zero gravity during space flight is also a nice detail. Notice how Ozma uses his verniers to stabilize his mount in the asteroid belt.

Edited for potential spoilers..

Edited by T.V.

The aliens don't look like being only suits for humanoid figures to me. Their behaviour and movement looks very animalistic. "Killer bugs from space" is what pops in my mind when seeing them.

And that's where the Gunbuster and link to Tori no Hito ideas comes from. These aliens may be antibodies, protecting something from human meddling.

Reminder: There is a 48-hour spoiler advisory in effect. PLEASE USE SPOILER TAGS.

D'OH! I edited my posts.

Hello Everyone, I've been visiting Macross World almost weekly for well over 5 years now. It's always a joy to read everyone's opinions and catch up on new info be it on Yamato toys, remastered releases, etc. I still remeber first seeking out this site to find out more information about Macross Zero and have been hooked ever since. Unlike some that discovered Macross from Robotech, I've been under Minmay's spell since '82.

I've never felt compelled to post until tonight!!! I was just able to watch the first episode of Frontier and like you I was completely blown away. I'm really glad we have this community here and my thanks go out to Shawn and Graham. Christmas came alittle early for me this year and the present was more than I could ask for.

Now for some observations:

- Some have asked why the protective dome wasn't closed on the capital ship when the bugs attacked. I caught this freeze frame that seems to suggest that the crew was trying to close it. The computer seems to be saying "Shell Down" and a count down is initiated to do so. My guess is that like Macross's Tranformation Sequence, a certain amount of prep time is needed.

PDVD_001.BMP

- At the beginning of the clip, a projection showed the immigration ships take off from earth. It actually showed Megaroad 1 and Macross Frontier take off in opposite directions. It seems to suggest that Megaroad 1 headed away fromt the galactic core, however, later on it shows Megaroad 1 doing an about face and head toward the center of the galaxy. Thought it was interesting and might shed some light on what happened to the Hikaru, Minmay and Misa. Too bad the scene cut away before it illustrated where Megaroad disappeared.

PDVD_000.BMP

- I think Aruto really does have the Camille syndrome, except in his case it's worse. People aren't making fun of him because his name's femine but rather because he looks femine. Ranka said "Pretty" when she first saw Aruto and later told him that she thought he was a girl.

Overall, I'm amazed with the level of detail and quality of the animation. Can't wait for more!

For all the Gurren Lagann fans that just saw the premiere here's a interesting tid bit.

Katsuyuki Konishi (voice actor):

Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann (TV) as Kamina

Macross Frontier (TV) as Ozma Lee

Kamina IS the new Skull Leader.

No wonder he's so frigging awesome.

The WOW in Macross is back.

This is top-notch anime as far as I can tell. It's pure fun and a visual masterpiece. :D

I only wish I knew Japanese, so that I can truly enjoy it.

It's interesting to see the use of the quasi-Zentraedi intereface in the next generation of VFs.

The cliffhanger brought on a deja vu moment with a new twist. I wonder where we've seen that before.

Will it play out the same? Will Skull Leader come to the day once again?

No one does it better than the original. It's O.K.

Edited by l_e_m

Some points that I've noticed:

Music:

-Sounds really M+ which is good, the concert scene is especially looks like Sharon's performance.

Bugs:

-I love them! give me the red leader bug Yamato, and give me in 1/60 scale hehehehehehehhe

(Five Star Stories aesthetics works very well!) (In fact I'm a big fan of F.S.S.)

Training suit:

-Great idea, we are getting closer and closer to the "Birdman"

Dogfight scene:

-Man! Hiding behind the asteroids (Star Wars Mode: ON) Perfect!

And just a quick question for you... Guess who is our new Zentraedi character?

Some points that I've noticed:

Music:

-Sounds really M+ which is good, the concert scene is especially looks like Sharon's performance.

Well the music is composed (in the case of the closing theme arranged) by Youko Kanno, who did M+ so that makes sense.

And yay! Lord Breetai has a new Breetai Avatar, from MF... ph33r.

Oh great...what a perfect day for the whole of Malaysia to have bandwidth problems. Much Christmas e-greetings cards being sent? ARGH!!!

*looks at 1-2kbps transfer rate and currently at 3%*

*cries*

This show is going to be freakin' awesome. If the animation quality holds, it'd be nice if Macross actually beat out Gundam in ratings for once. What I've seen in this episode far outclasses what I've seen of 00 so far. The VF-171 launch seen alone was insane.

It's also nice to see that despite a clearly bishounen character beng present, everyone around him is making fun of him for it. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he wound up with a haircut at some point.

I'm not sure how I feel about the little exo-flight suits so far. It kinda bugs me that they're required to fly the VF-25's, and as Duke said, they're very Mospeada-ey. Though I do suppose it makes sense as an ejection system that the pilot still be able to fly/fight if necessary, and not be a helpless falling target.

I wouldn't be even remotely surprised to find out that the enemy's are piloted mecha. They're way too smart for simple grunts/bugs. It not only went for an absolute kill on the VF-25's pilot, but completely ignored the unpiloted mecha. Your average grunt would have continued going after it & ignored the smaller target.

I definately heard "SMS Skull Shotai," as well as the operator calling out about "Angel & Vermilion," Ranka's resturant is the Nyan Nyan, & new Misa is very no nonsense, just like old Misa.

I'm a bit dissapointed to find out most of Sheryl's fanservice is holographic, while awesome, it takes away some of the splender of seeing her in the S&M garb. Regardless, an awesome concert, Kawamori has definately topped Sharon.

And I'm surprised that no one else has said this yet but..

NEW MISA IS FREAKIN' HOT!! I can't wait to see more of her

:)

My final analysis: Bandai Entertainment, Bandai Visual, ADV, & or Funimation would all be incredibly foolish "not" to challenge HG in licensing this show. This could be the one that finally brings back Macross to the U.S. Put a little marketting behind it, give it an uncensored late night adult swim slot, and it could be about as big as anime gets here.

While it's great we get to see this "DeCulture" directors cut of the first episode, I hope it doesn't hurt the ratings of episode 1 when it finally shows in April.

As most fans will have probably watched the directors cut many times before now and April, they may not bother tuning in for the first ep when it shows and just wait for the second ep.

Graham

IF they can keep track of their battle loses pertaining to fleet strength then this series will be even more spectacular.

I'd hate to see the same ship names and classes showing up during tactical layout segments if they were sunk the previous episode(s).

Let's hope they keep this aspect of the show scrutinized very heavily.

Did you guys enjoy the

fleet migration timeline

scene as much as I did?

When was it made canon that the Frontier fleet launched from Earth in 2012? Was this a recent move made by Kawamori?

I still think that

Mari's

voice coming in to sing the chorus of

Ai Oboteimasuka

after Tanaka Ai had finnished singing it speaks volumes to me, about what's going to happen with the series. I really feel we'll get to

learn the fate of the Megaroad

, it's like

Minmay is calling back to us from the past, asking to be found

If that happens I can die happy. :lol:

Holy crap! This is so awesome my brain exploded!

God damnit. Why did they have to make the VF-171 the new VF-11C CF valk!?

:(

I knew that they were using exo-suits from the trailers! Hah! :D Loving all the easter eggs/tributes. The scene at the end brought back Hikaru, Minmay, and the gerwalk. Also brought back stronger for m, Shin, Mao, and his attempt to take down Nora with that damaged VF-0A (we also saw the pilot get wasted!).

Hot damn the VF-25s are packing some seriously pumped up fast packs! :D

Also noticed the kadun-ish things during the battle. Seemed like they would appear and take out the missiles and get in the way of the VF-25s. Like at 19:02.

And the big ships being taken out. Man, I felt for the crews of those ships.

Guess that tanks are cheaper to keep and maintain than destroids. Destroids probably wouldn't have been effective either, but at least they'd have a chance of dodging fire if they were at least as mobile as the Cheyennes from M0.

Need a Yamato 1/60 VF-171! :D

Edited by Sumdumgai

:angry:

OK guys, i just watched and i have to say this is one of the best "first episode"'s i have ever seen. the cgi looks beautiful and the first combat between the NUNS VF-171 along with the music was just perfect, alsmost like when i first saw the 4th episode of macross puls but better. still i find a little bit too violent the way the space bug kills the VF-25 pilot. at least kakizaki got it easy but this was to much. still i cannot wait till april to satrt catching the upcoming episodes, just another 25.

OK, this is definitely an alternate universe situation, in that the events of DYRL are the canon story not SDFM and clearly a reboot of the franchise history for international consumption.

The NUNS appears to be the reformation of the UNS after the destruction of the Earth and by the brief backstory it appears that mankind colonized the stars "instead" of rebuilding the Earth, each subsequent colony world would then send out more fleets.

The distinct differences to the original timeline are the fact that the Mac 7 colony fleet is a contemporary to the Megaroad 01 as well as the Frontier fleet. How much of the original chronology has been retained is yet unclear. As well as the fact that the City ship didn't have a BattleShip at it's front and the whole ship is called a Space Defense Fortress, no longer a Super Dimension Fortress.

LOVED the VF-171!! I was no fan of the VF-17, but this new one is a beauty so are the 25's.

I found that the NUNS pilots being barely competent a bit of a stretch compared the the mercs, but I can only hope that is because they are so green and will get better as the series progreses.

No destroids? C'mon!!! They were a staple in DYRL and would finally be useful as a civil defense units on the colony ships.

Those bio-mecha bugs are definitely PC or at the very least PC based (possibly SA units) the markings on the hulls are too similar to the Mayan artifact markings in Zero.

Loved the music very techno dance and the new singer is definitely a good choice. Her singing definitely reminded me of Mari's music from SDFM...

I can only think of two reasons for the "space bugs" to attack, either the Macross frontier went to close to their PC/SA/other civilization's terrotories or Sheryl Norme (noomu) is actually descendant of mao and they sense it.

wow i still have goose bumps from all the action...

I agree that those are very real possibilities. I could also be that they are approaching a remanant of a surviving PC outpost and any strangers to the region get attacked in order to preserve it. Lets face it a mecha with an energy bolt as powerful as a Macross cannon? Definitely PC tech level...