Macross 25th Anniversary TV Special thread *READ THE 1ST POST*

azrael

Rating  

298 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of the TV special?

• Oh baby! I need new pants.
    • I need to see more or no comment.
    • Boring. Change the channel, NOW .

Welcome to the Frontiers of Macross - 25th Anniversary TV Special Thread (includes Director's cut of episode 1)

Guildlines:

• File requests and offers of any kind are not permitted anywhere on the forum beyond this post. This includes, but is not limited to BitTorrent files/links, YouTube or related video-sharing site links, Rapidshare/Megaupload/etc. links, etc.. We will provide download locations for you. Any user-post in violation of this rule will be deleted without notice. Repeated offenses may result in a ban.
  • This thread only covers the material in 1-hour Anniversary TV special (The special director's cut of Episode 1 included).
  • Please do not ask when the series, Macross F/Frontier will be aired or released.
  • Please use spoiler tags for the first 48-hours after the special airs.
MBS' Macross Frontier Website

Macross F/Frontier Official Website

Macross Official Website

MacrossWorld's Macross F Page

Translation Tools:

Image hosting services Download links Subber LinksAir dates:

Dec. 23, TBS, 2:50AM

Dec. 28, MBS, 1:15AM

TV special (courtesy of Bio):

Macross25thAnniversaryTvSpecial(TBS).part1.rar

Macross25thAnniversaryTvSpecial(TBS).part2.rar

Macross25thAnniversaryTvSpecial(TBS).part3.rar

Macross25thAnniversaryTvSpecial(TBS).part4.rar

Macross25thAnniversaryTvSpecial(TBS).part5.rar

Macross25thAnniversaryTvSpecial(TBS).part6.rar

Macross25thAnniversaryTvSpecial(TBS).part7.rar

Macross25thAnniversaryTvSpecial(TBS).part8.rar

TV Special Part 2 (Kawamori interview) + Extended episode 2 preview

Complete 1-hour special (includes Deculture Edition of Episode 1), total runtime 1-hour

More MacrossWorld Macross Frontier threads will be starting in 2008.

Frontier episode 1 F-ING rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It just finished and boy was it great! First there are many nods to most of all the Macross series. A really cool history time line. All kinds of Valk mecha, New Elint seeker, Ghosts lots of Ghosts. They even have Gubaba pets still for you 7 fans without the camp. The new enemy are crazy kind of like psycho Invid but smart fast killing machines. So much stuff for the first episode. This one is suppose to be different than the on that will air in 2008 and it was called the deculture edition.

More later after sleep but by then I'm sure it will be on the net.

Graham is gonna have a heart attack at the sight of those VF-171s.

- Interesting new ejection system. That would explain the large cockpits on the VF-25.

- Bio Mechs....great this is gonna be fun.

- I don't like the portal effect on folding.... I'm sad they didn't keep the old effect. :(

- Megaroad-04 discovered Eden...LOL

- They had to throw in the fan-service.....

One word : Holy f*cking poo ! :o

(Ok that was three....)

I didn't understood a word they said.... but that was freakenly amazing ! Kawamori really wasn't kidding when he said he wanted OAV quality for this series

:lol:

I like how it feels like sorta like they're blending all the Macross together stylistically.... some things remind of the original series, others of Macross Plus, others then of Macross 7.... and the dynamic for the battles is just mindblowing.

Hopefully someone will release a sub soon ! I can't wait for episode 2 (damn.... four month to go)

-Sergorn

Great, no one is seeding the torrent from TT.

You can download the video from the Stage6 link; I got a steady 900KB/s from them! The file downloaded from Stage6 is standalone player compatible too, I just had to change the file extension from .divx to .avi

Edited by Sketch

Pros -

1) Death and Mayhem (although I think they actually went too far with that guy getting squeezed)

2) Obviously some sweet action

3) Ending with a new version of the DYRL song

4) The music seemed good and not forced

5) The whole episode was familiar with little homages to the original Macross series (like how it ends with Hikaru killing the Zent that stumbled out of his battlepod).

6) The bugs seem more mechanical than biological.

Cons -

1) For some reason no one is speaking english (j/k)

2) I can't understand him but that one guy with the ponytail seems to have a lot of angst and I can't figure out why

3) Tanks in the city. Hey, I got an idea, how about a friggin' destroid???

4) Don't crucify me here but I felt like some of the action was a bit frantic and too close up (kind of like the Transformers live action movie).

EDIT - holy crap, I'm the only one who said "I need to see more." Isn't anyone worried that the show is going to be brought by Mr Angsty Pants? Still, no sign of a Basara figure so I'm totally optimistic but I'll let it remain a cautious optimism.

Edited by jenius

OMFG!!!!!!!!

that episode was awesome! and the enemy is ruthless, holy crap, sad ending for the pilot of the Hikaru type VF-25, definately LOVED all the refences to ALL the previews Macross shows

also got a like Evangelion vibe from the red enemy mech... was hoping to see a few Destroyed in the city instead of just tanks, but oh well, maybe in future episodes, hehe

I CAN'T WAIT TILL APRIL!! TOO LONG A TIME!

2) I can't understand him but that one guy with the ponytail seems to have a lot of angst and I can't figure out why

I'm not sure since my japanese kind of suck... but I got the impression that he gets angry because he is picked on for looking "too feminine" (seemed like one of his pal nicknamed him "Alto-Hime" ie. Princess)

Also....

Did I get this properly, but Alto seems to be related to Sheryl isn't he ?

BTW... did you noticed ? The military blond chick we saw in trailer ended with brown hair rather the blond hair she had in the trailer. Than and I can't seem to decide what Sheryl's natural air color are supposed to be... they look pink some times, and blond the others

-Sergorn

OMFG!!!!!!!!

that episode was awesome! and the enemy is ruthless, holy crap, sad ending for the pilot of the Hikaru type VF-25, definately LOVED all the refences to ALL the previews Macross shows

also got a like Evangelion vibe from the red enemy mech... was hoping to see a few Destroyed in the city instead of just tanks, but oh well, maybe in future episodes, hehe

I CAN'T WAIT TILL APRIL!! TOO LONG A TIME!

I am so speechless right now, I dont know what to say, everything was more than what I had expected but I found it to be a little short on the combat sequences, it was shame to see that hikaru type pilot die in such a awful death, and I didnt get to see the main character do anything special with his newly piloted valk. DID ANYONE NOTICE THAT THE BUGS LOOK'D MORE MECHANICAL THAN BIOLOGICAL. But still I was blown away and I nearly got teary with such amazement. My god, what a great series. I cant not wait

I think I just crapped my pants. It's way better than I thought it would be. The music was great, both background and vocal. Here's hoping the rest turns out just as good.

Like someone else said, the end song was a great touch.

Edited by Seven

I'm not sure since my japanese kind of suck... but I got the impression that he gets angry because he is picked on for looking "too feminine" (seemed like one of his pal nicknamed him "Alto-Hime" ie. Princess)

Also....

Did I get this properly, but Alto seems to be related to Sheryl isn't he ?

BTW... did you noticed ? The military blond chick we saw in trailer ended with brown hair rather the blond hair she had in the trailer. Than and I can't seem to decide what Sheryl's natural air color are supposed to be... they look pink some times, and blond the others

-Sergorn

I think Ranka thought Alto was a girl when she first saw him. Or my Japanese is just bad. She said, "Wow, so pretty...". If I were him, I'd be pissed (and I'd cut my hair). The rest of his mates are also picking on him because of this.

Wasn't there any info on Alto's family, that he comes from a line of Kabuki actors? Females who dress up as males? That's probably why he gets called "Hime". Poor guy.

By the way, that's one crappy job Alto and gang have.

Someone please do the subs :D

Edited by mike_s_6

I'm now convinced there's a god in this world, an he's a Macross fan too ^_^

To all doubters out there: Don't worry! this project really feels like a macross series. I have to admit, I was a bit cautious about frontier myself, all the new ideas (training exo-armor+bio mechanical enemies+character designs+SMS+not revolutionary valk desings) didn't really convinced me, but the way everything was pulled off just blows my brains.

Animation: I can't believe the level of animation achieved (particularly for a TV series), if you thought Zero was awesome then this will give you visual orgasms. The way they blended 3D and 2D animation was flawless, everything was so fluid and it suited very well the mechanical movements of the valks.

Characters: I'm gonna say i'm still not fond of the art style, but it's not bad at all ( a bit too feminine at times though). The characters are all likable thankfully.

Plot: I didn't understand a single F*ing word but the action and drama had me glued to the screen, everything just went smoothly and seems like a well thought series. I'm hoping they actually exploit the potential of the bio-mechanical enemies. I'm still not 100% convinced about the whole ''SMS+Pilot academy thing'' but as long as they make some progress in the overall plot of the franchise (humans+protoculture+colonies+aphos+zents) it'll be ok.

Music: Really enjoyable, although I'm still waiting for that epic Yokko Kano feeling.

I cannot wait until next year

Edited: oops, some mistakes here and there, sorry.

Edited by Aegis!

OK guys, i just watched and i have to say this is one of the best "first episode"'s i have ever seen. the cgi looks beautiful and the first combat between the NUNS VF-171 along with the music was just perfect, alsmost like when i first saw the 4th episode of macross puls but better. still i find a little bit too violent the way the space bug kills the VF-25 pilot. at least kakizaki got it easy but this was to much. still i cannot wait till april to satrt catching the upcoming episodes, just another 25.

I can only think of two reasons for the "space bugs" to attack, either the Macross frontier went to close to their PC/SA/other civilization's terrotories or Sheryl Norme (noomu) is actually descendant of mao and they sense it.

wow i still have goose bumps from all the action...

Anyone else have audio synch issues? If I just play it straight through it's fine, but if I skip forward or ahead--the audio's not even from the same SCENE. Or just silent. I'd like to re-watch some parts, but that's impossible as it is now--the sound gets totally messed up if you skip around at all. I'm just using the standard current Divx player. Maybe it's a codec thing and not the player.

::edit:: Fixed my own problem from a suggestion on the main MF thread. Rename the file to .avi, and play it with Media Player. Works much better.

Can we post images of the first episode here?

Yes you can. BUT...note that there is a 48-hour spoiler advisory in effect. And we are expecting a high volume of traffic so please try to link to an outside source (not 2ch or 4chan). I have listed several image hosting sites in the first post.

Some thoughts:

Planets sending out their own Immigration Fleets?

At first I thought the fleet was using some sort of modified Zentradi insignia, but I'm not quite sure what it is

Sheryl arrived aboard the Galaxy Starliner, no mention of her coming from the Macross Galaxy Fleet

What was going on with that meeting/call in to scramble the SMS? WTF is the SMS, LOL

CGI mecha/ships were gorgeous, but the character art/animation was insconsistant

Can they keep up the quality throughout the entire series?

I got a heavy MOSPEADA vibe watching this. Ride Armor, insectoid enemy, and that scene where

Ranka comes across a bare chested Alto had me thinking of Yellow.

Edited by Duke Togo

Plenty of goodies in the show. I'm loving this first episode. Plenty of action, interesting characters, amazing new mecha, great new music, blah, blah, blah. So far, this is a much stronger and far more interesting opening episode than Macross Zero. I'm much more impressed with the CG work in this first episode than the the clips we've had to digest for the last little while. I hope the rest of the series lives up to this beginning.

i really liked this episode! a++++

i saw several scenes that seemed to be inspired by the reimagined Battlestar Galactica. The combat scenes had the same fluidity that BSG has and what really resonated as BSG inspired was when the enemy went in amongst the fleet ships. AMAZING.

i can't wait for April and fansubs.

my japanese is very barbaric so i am not going to fool myself that i understood even a fraction of the dialogue, haha.

this has me tearing my hair out (well, maybe just one single hair) though because i am working on a fanfic project and now i have to change some things around because SK decided to make the Megaroad 04 discover Eden, when previously, the compendium had the Megaroads as super long distance fleets, not short range.

oh well, his universe, haha.

Amazing, I cannot wait for the rest of the series. And I can't say I felt sorry for the squeezed pilot, that's what happens when a mosquito fights a bazooka. Actually, I'm kinda impressed that they put something like that in there - it was way more tasteful than Guld's or DD's deaths (not that I have any problem with them). If they didn't do it only for the shock factor but because they are not planning to pull their punches in general, chances are that we are going to get some good war drama out of this.

BTW, am I the only one who's getting a little bit of BSG vibe from the fight scenes?

Edit: Guess scottrossi just answered my question.

Edited by Lindem Herz

oh and i also saw shades of MOSPEADA in this. i am interested in seeing where SK is going with this.