Bandai Reissues!

Guld

As for Bandai reissuing the same (Ex IMAI)kits over and over again, I am pretty sure that they don´t even have the molds for the 1/72 destroids, 1/200 Monster, 1/5000 Macross Fortress etc. . On some japanese collectors site I have read that those molds are considered "lost" whatever that means.

I wonder where the Arii molds have gone, none of those except the variable 1/100 Valks have ever found their way to Bandai and Arii themselves have only reissued the small stuff (10 years ago) - where are the 1/5000 Storm Attacker, 1/72 Glaug + Tomahawk and the retooled 1/100 Regults? "Lost" as well? Just curious...

The biggest loss -at least to me- is the IMAI 1/72 VF-1 D Gerwalk - not the transformable one! This one was based on the "raven-nosed" Gerwalk and Super-Fighter kits but they added a completely reshaped nose that looks fantastic. The only old 1/72 Gerwalk kit that looks good out of the box (except the Hands) IMO. I have only ever seen it once on E-Bay but got outbidden.

When IMAI and ARII went into deep financial trouble in the mid 80's after the Mecha Craze in Japan fell off and they were strung out on debt thinking the next 5 shows after Macross were going to sell as MUCH as Macross - Bandai bought the molds at a bank auction. That's why Bandai did a TINY run of Macross Branded kits for the 1984 movie in late 85-86, they had just got the molds.

For whatever reason IMAI had to sell ALL of theirs - but ARII got to keep the 1/100 Valks and 1/100 Destroids ( they were all 300yen kits back in the day - may have had something to do with it.) Thats why those ARII kits never went away, ARII would re-issue them at the drop of a hat.

What happened to the other ones - ALL those DELICIOUS Macross kits? Bodolza only knows. MOST LIKELY some suit at Bandai decided these were the BEST kits to re-issue in 1992 ( their first group package ) and no one has challanged that decision ever sence. The molds are most likely sitting in some warehouse next to the Ark of the Covenant. ( Maybe thats what Indy is doing in the new trailer - rescuing our Macross kits!! :lol: ) The only real change in the line up from 1992 was in 1997 some of the 15th anniversary kits where chromed.

Same batch released in 2002 - now again in 2008. Sad really, what I'd give for $30.00 1/160 Destroid Monster or 1/72 Glaugs......or $20.00 1/100 Battle Pods...

Sucks really......found most of this out back in the day from my friends at the old TCI - we used to be one of their biggest customers in Michigan. Sigh......those were the days....

Fred

As for Bandai reissuing the same (Ex IMAI)kits over and over again, I am pretty sure that they don´t even have the molds for the 1/72 destroids, 1/200 Monster, 1/5000 Macross Fortress etc. . On some japanese collectors site I have read that those molds are considered "lost" whatever that means.

I wonder where the Arii molds have gone, none of those except the variable 1/100 Valks have ever found their way to Bandai and Arii themselves have only reissued the small stuff (10 years ago) - where are the 1/5000 Storm Attacker, 1/72 Glaug + Tomahawk and the retooled 1/100 Regults? "Lost" as well? Just curious...

The biggest loss -at least to me- is the IMAI 1/72 VF-1 D Gerwalk - not the transformable one! This one was based on the "raven-nosed" Gerwalk and Super-Fighter kits but they added a completely reshaped nose that looks fantastic. The only old 1/72 Gerwalk kit that looks good out of the box (except the Hands) IMO. I have only ever seen it once on E-Bay but got outbidden.

Does anyone have a picture of this kit, sounds like something I might like to have?

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, the 1/144 Queadluun Rau is poseable. As a matter of fact, right now I am staring at it's 15th anniversary re-issue (from 10 years ago, still unassembled...)

Since this re-issue is essentially the same kit from 25 years ago (originally by Imai), it doesn't employ poly caps at the joints. So if you play with it too much, the styrene-on-styrene joints will become loose.

The canopy is movable, so you can open and close it as much as you want. Inside is half of a pilot figure with arms bent(no room for the legs.) But if you prefer, you can build the pilot standing upright with arms straight.

You can select the missile hatches on the back-pack to be opened or closed. But the legs missile hatches can only stay closed as there is no part for open hatches.

I've got a Queadluun Rau on the bench right now, taking its first coats of paint... I got the kit a few years ago (as part of one of my early Yahoo! Japan binges) and did some test-fitting back then - fast forward to this February, when I put it together in earnest...

Anyway, I was thinking about what to do with the "missiles open" parts - whether to paint 'em up and use 'em or not, and I discovered I only had one... I thought I must have lost the other one, looked around a bit, and then finally checked the instructions - the damn kit only comes with one "missile open" part! As if any machine in Macross would ever fire only half its missiles at any one time! :D

Personally, I felt that both the figure and the suit interior were total junk. I'm sure somebody could do something nice with all that space in terms of detailing it - if you're not going to go all out, though, it's better to just seal it up... Makes the kit easier to deal with during the painting stages, too, 'cause you have fewer assemblies to deal with and you don't have to hinge everything together right away...

Make sure you post pics. I built this kit 10 years ago now - very poorly. Lost it, and never thought I would be able to do it again, I'm really looking forwards to receiving mine.

Here's hoping I don't botch it. :D

The Rau project is the latest in a series of failed attempts by me to meet my own model contest deadlines... It's going pretty well so far but it seems something always goes majorly wrong at the painting and finishing stage... :D

HLJ reports that the Bandai reissue Macross kits I ordered are processing for shipment, and they've updated their listing pages with some new photos.

If the actual box art is what they've got pictured, they appear to be the same as the last editions, but with the current anniversary logos.

• 3 weeks later...

My Glaugs and Q-Rau came in the mail from HLJ yesterday. They're the same as the 90s re-releases, as far as I can tell - same box-art, instructions, etc. They just have a little 25th anniversary sticker on the face of the box. The box print is also super-duper glossy - much like Hasegawa's boxes...

The Q-Rau is a brighter, more toy-like green than the Imai one I had back in the 80s.

I wish Bandai had tweeked the tooling and made bottom surfaces for the open undersides of the Glaug's 'toes'. Apart from that, however, they're still beautiful kits.

The decals are still water-slide type, unlike what Nichimo did with their kit decals.

I'm happy to have them! Especially at the price, since I don't have my 80s ones anymore.

The VF2XX I ordered hasn't shown up yet, but if the trend is the same I expect it'll be virtually identical to its original issue as well.

Thanks, Bandai, from at least one old-school fan with a limited pocketbook! Nothing special with these editions, sure - but these are classic, workhorse kits that'll come in really handy for modelers, and the reissue prices are great. :D

ADDITIONAL: My MacII Valk arrived today. Seems to be identical to the previous 1992 version, with both paper and waterslide decals, transparent green canopy parts, large poster/instruction sheet (yay!)

Edited by AcroRay

Would the 2SS re-release have the Ishtar/kit instructions poster included?

Yes, it does. The box art is as beautiful as ever, as well. Giant robots and pretty girls - everything a fanboy needs!

Huraayy!! :lol: I just got my Bandai re-release Tomahawk, Phalanx and Glaug kits. I bought two of each from HobbyLink Japan. For around $7 for each destroid and $12 for the Glaug, the prices are reasonable when compare to the prices on eBay.

Now I can build a few as desktop display pieces for my office. Maybe I'll built a 1/100 scale mini-diorama for them too.

I hope Bandai would re-release the 1/72 scale destroids and Zentraedi pods.

• 1 month later...
the tomahawk and the glug and vf-22 still there they just down the page. Set the search for Bandi Macross only they pop up! FYI to those who care

You gotta be kidding me! Carl, I had to go check, and you're right. Five hours ago those exact listings (Feb 2008 issues) were "Discontinued"...!

Maybe someone at HLJ heard my post :ph34r: Bizarre-o Jerry.

VF-22 still comes up discon: http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN953440

Edited by cowie165

Whoa! To think that I got my VF-2SS kit not more than a week ago from hlj. From available to discontinued??? I have no idea why they sell so fast, they're..... well.... *cough*not good*cough*. A lot of work must be done to make this kit shine (or at least glimmer with less work).

• 2 months later...

Looks like Bandai is continuing their reissues of the classic 80's Macross kits from Imai & Arii, judging by the prices. HLJ lists what looks like reissues of the 1/72 Battroid VF-1S & 1J, as well as Fighter 1S 1J & 1A "SP" (probably "Super Pack"), due out next month. Here's a couple:

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN956855

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN956858

Much as I love those old kits, there's absolutely no shortage of them in the world and any serious modeler would probably want Hasegawa's versions instead.

C-mon, Bandai, roll out some 1/72 Destroids or some Glaugs & Regults, or the Queal-Quallie. Yeesh...

Looks like Bandai is continuing their reissues of the classic 80's Macross kits from Imai & Arii, judging by the prices. HLJ lists what looks like reissues of the 1/72 Battroid VF-1S & 1J, as well as Fighter 1S 1J & 1A "SP" (probably "Super Pack"), due out next month. Here's a couple:

Much as I love those old kits, there's absolutely no shortage of them in the world and any serious modeler would probably want Hasegawa's versions instead.

Yes, a serious modeler would no doubt want Hasegawa kits. However, I'm a weekend no-skills modeler and I kinda appreciate the old-school kits that are a bit more easier/forgiving to build and cheap (which is important when screwing up is good possibility) :)