Seriously, who's in charge of these production houses? You'd think that after all the money and all the critical acclaim that the trilogy recieved, The Hobbit would have been an easy movie to set up. They should have had every little book that Tolkien scribbled made already.

Tolkien is probably up in Middle Earth Heaven throwing darts at Stephanie Meyer and J.K Rowling's pictures.

Latest from Slashfilm.com:

Peter Jackson would direct "Hobbit" if able

I'm not sure having PJ do the film is a good idea if the reason he would do it is to protect New Line's and Warners' investment in the series.

Seriously, who's in charge of these production houses? You'd think that after all the money and all the critical acclaim that the trilogy recieved, The Hobbit would have been an easy movie to set up. They should have had every little book that Tolkien scribbled made already.

Tolkien is probably up in Middle Earth Heaven throwing darts at Stephanie Meyer and J.K Rowling's pictures.

In MGM's case, Stephen Cooper is the current CEO. MGM was trying to get bought out but they didn't responded to offers by Warners, or allowing Ridley Scott & Tony Scott to take over. If MGM doesn't sell themselves off, they're gonna enter into bankruptcy proceedings, which would kill any chance of any film from them getting made for at least 10 years. MGM has been on life support since, well 2005/2006. It's hard to get something going when there's practically no money in the bank and they're loaning a majority of the time.

Well this time it is more like the studio is failing and can't afford to make films, especially when looking at the price range for The Hobbit, take the cost of LOTR and subtract one film. Still a good 200 Mil+ easy, and MGM other than Bond hasn't had anything to keep them stable in years.

Maybe it's for the best. I love Del Toro's films and I was curious to see what he could bring to the Hobbit, but I've never been able to forget what he said at Cannes in 2006: "I was never into heroic fantasy. At all. I don't like little guys and dragons, hairy feet, hobbits -- I've never been into that at all. I don't like sword and sorcery, I hate all that stuff." He's a great director for sure, but without a true love for the story and characters or even the genre it might have lacked something. It's too bad Jackson doesn't seem interested anymore. Unfortunately it's starting to seem like the time to make this film has passed. Of course that doesn't mean I don't want to see it made and wouldn't go see it. Regardless of who ends up directing it and when, if it does get made I'll be there on opening night.

Maybe it's for the best. I love Del Toro's films and I was curious to see what he could bring to the Hobbit, but I've never been able to forget what he said at Cannes in 2006: "I was never into heroic fantasy. At all. I don't like little guys and dragons, hairy feet, hobbits -- I've never been into that at all. I don't like sword and sorcery, I hate all that stuff." He's a great director for sure, but without a true love for the story and characters or even the genre it might have lacked something. It's too bad Jackson doesn't seem interested anymore. Unfortunately it's starting to seem like the time to make this film has passed. Of course that doesn't mean I don't want to see it made and wouldn't go see it. Regardless of who ends up directing it and when, if it does get made I'll be there on opening night.

David Warner is supposed to be on record claiming that he hates SF and Fantasy films but he has still played very iconic SF and Fantasy characters in a LOT of films.

Taksraven

Gotta agree.

The parts with the Human, Dwarf and Elf mass murdering a bunch of Orcs was awesome. Long closes up of Hobbits giving their best sad clown faces at eachother was a real snore.

Those movies made super stars of the tall people in it.

The hobbits part sucked...

I rather watch Willow... lol.

Next you'll be saying that you want to watch the Ewoks in ROTJ. Oh, wait......

Taksraven

But since The Hobbit only has ONE Hobbit, the movie would be missing the key sexual tension between little people with hairy feet that made the LOTR such a hit... wait, The Hobbit does have lots of Dwarfs, maybe Lucas could be lured to direct it then.

• 4 months later...

Another casting possibility?

Female Troll Warrior

Concept (Src: http://www.freakygaming.com):

female_troll_warrior.jpg

Reality:

amy-winehouse1.jpg

(FYI, it's Amy Winehouse)

you know I would need to polish my entire bar, do a mountain of coke, smoke the national supply of marijuana and opium and take on an entire batch of Crystal meth before my brain would see amy as anything doable ahahaha gross

now Im going to have nightmares!!!

Anyway I wish they would make the Silmarillion

I am still hating the idea of two movies. I won't mind the idea of doing the Hobbit in one movie and then a second moving bridging the Hobbit with LOTR, but definitely don't want the Hobbit split up.

Unfortunately it's starting to seem like the time to make this film has passed. Of course that doesn't mean I don't want to see it made and wouldn't go see it. Regardless of who ends up directing it and when, if it does get made I'll be there on opening night.

But Hollywood has pretty much banked on this premise for seemingly a generation. Which begs the question: if people continue to buy/support crappy product--when the seller KNOWS it's crappy product--how do you ever motivate them to start offering something better?

And how the fu*k anybody could ever come to the notion of trying to make a TROLL "sexy" in any form or fashion is just beyond me.

Edited by reddsun1