I think he'd do as good or even a better job than Jackson. Jackson really messed up some potentially epic scenes by dumbing them down to Hollywood cheese. Scenes that ought to have carried over well to the big screen.

On the other hand, I'd give At the Mountains of Madness priority. As great as the Hobbit is, I'm a bigger Lovecraft fan. I got the radio drama version of "At the Mountains of Madness" for Christmas. Best Christmas present I've gotten in ages, especially when I had no idea it existed.

• 2 weeks later...
It's funny how they used to not endorse the movie because how it was 'not faithful to the source material' and now they're singing a completely different tune once they see the dollar signs.

I don't see how the two are even remotely related. The Tolkein trust has a responsibility to protect and nurture Tolkein's work and they have the right to be paid for those properties. They sold the rights to newline and they have the right to collect, regardless fo whether they were 100% behind the end product or not.

I'll have to agree. If New Line had agreed to pay people money for getting the green light for the movies, then they have to pay. No ifs, ands, or buts.

Edit to add: If New Line is smart, they'd pay what needs to be paid. Wheel and deal to get the go-ahead to make the new movies. The movie going audience today I believe would still be very willing to go in large numbers for these prequels. RotK was a few years ago, but customers will still have a fond, fairly recent memory of the LotR movies. There is $$$ to be made here.

Edited by Warmaker

I think he'd do as good or even a better job than Jackson. Jackson really messed up some potentially epic scenes by dumbing them down to Hollywood cheese. Scenes that ought to have carried over well to the big screen.

The problem is that Jackson's trilogy has set the tone for all other LotR film works. Since the two stories are set in the same universe, I'm not sure how well another director's vision will mesh with what's come before.

I'll have to agree. If New Line had agreed to pay people money for getting the green light for the movies, then they have to pay. No ifs, ands, or buts.

Welcome to Hollywood accounting. This is why the sequel to Forrest Gump was never turned into a movie.

The problem is that Jackson's trilogy has set the tone for all other LotR film works. Since the two stories are set in the same universe, I'm not sure how well another director's vision will mesh with what's come before.

Welcome to Hollywood accounting. This is why the sequel to Forrest Gump was never turned into a movie.

The Hobbit maybe set in the same universe but the book has a completely different tone compared to the Lord of the Ring books and both are different in tone to the Silmarillion.

• 2 months later...

Guillermo del Toro confirmed, pics arriving in 2011 & 2012:

http://www.variety.com/VR1117984595.html

Guillermo del Toro to direct 'Hobbit'

Filmmaker signs on helm feature and sequel

In a major step forward on “The Hobbit,” Guillermo del Toro has signed on to direct the New Line-MGM tentpole and its sequel.

The widely expected announcement -- which had been rumored for several weeks -- came Thursday afternoon jointly from exec producers Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh, New Line president Toby Emmerich, and Mary Parent, newly named chief of MGM’s Worldwide Motion Picture Group.

Del Toro’s moving to New Zealand for the next four years to work with Jackson and his Wingnut and Weta production teams. He’ll direct the two films back to back, with the sequel dealing with the 60-year period between “The Hobbit” and “The Fellowship of the Ring,” the first of the “Lord of the Rings” trilogy.

New Line is overseeing development and will manage production. Both pics are being co-produced and co-financed by New Line Cinema and MGM, with Warner Bros. distributing domestically and MGM handling international.

Del Toro won’t leave for New Zealand immediately as he’s still in post-production on U’s “Hellboy 2,” due out in July. His previous pic, “Pan’s Labyrinth,” was released through New Line’s Picturehouse and set a record as the highest grossing Spanish language film in U.S. box office history.

The official signing of Del Toro comes four months after New Line settled a lawsuit with Jackson over “The Lord of the Rings” and announced that it had agreed with MGM to turn J.R.R. Tolkien’s “Hobbit” into two live-action films. Sam Raimi had been preceived as the initial front-runner as director but Del Toro had emerged in recent months as the likely candidate.

The studios didn’t give a start date on production and don’t yet have a script. Though no screenplay deal’s been set, it’s expected that the “LOTR” scripting team of Jackson, Walsh and Philippa Boyens will collaborate with Del Toro.

With Del Toro blocking out four years for the project, it’s likely that the studios are aiming at starting shooting next year and releasing the films in late 2011 and 2012.

Jackson’s WETA stages, post-production and visual effects facilities -- built for “The Lord of the Rings” -- will be used for both films. And New Zealand will again be the site of Middle-earth, with the story centering on Bilbo Baggins taking the Ring of Power from Gollum.

Guillermo del Toro confirmed, pics arriving in 2011 & 2012:

[...] with the sequel dealing with the 60-year period between “The Hobbit” and “The Fellowship of the Ring,” the first of the “Lord of the Rings” trilogy.

[...]

It's been awhile since i've read these books, but I really don't remember a whole lot happening in between The Hobbit and LOTR. Am I forgetting something? :huh:

In a nutshell-

The Hobbit:

Thorin Oakenshield and Gandalf visit Bilbo in the Shire. Bilbo joins the Dwarves' quest. Bilbo meets Gollum and finds the One Ring.

Bard slays Smaug the dragon with the aid of Bilbo. The Battle of the Five Armies—Men, Elves, Dwarves, Goblins, and Eagles— is fought over Smaug's treasure. Thorin Oakenshield dies in battle, and Dain becomes King under the mountain.

The White Council meets again and Saruman, hoping to keep Sauron from finding the One Ring, agrees to attack Dol Guldur. Sauron abandons Dol Guldur.

Bilbo returns to the Shire and begins to write his memoirs, the first volume of the Red Book.

Post-Hobbit

Sauron returns to Mordor.

I'm guessing this is approximately where the second movie will end. There really isn't much that happens between this point and the beginning of Fellowship, 60 years later. Mostly just Sauron rebuilding his forces and Aragorn ranger-ing about. Gandalf wanders around some and Saruman finds the Palantir.

I'm not really sure how this will play out in the movies. They compressed a lot of time in the 3 LOTR movies. For instance, it was 20 years between Bilbo's birthday party and Gandalf returning to tell Frodo about the true nature of the Ring. The rest of the movies play out over the course of a year, but the movies make it seem like a couple of weeks.

My guess is perhaps they would end the first movie as Dain becomes King, and perhaps have Bilbo returning home and Sauron being driven from Dol Guldur in the second.

Edited by Grand Admiral

It's fantastic news!

I'm still unsure about a Hobbit and after-hobbit movie.

Or are they gonna make the hobbit as a two part movie?

Then maybe next they will think about a silmarillon trilogy?

• 4 weeks later...

There was an online chat held with PJ and del Toro responding to questions.

Online chat transcript

Here are some of the juicy bits:

- Scripting and early conceptual designs will be worked on for the rest of this year.

- Pre-production will take place throughout 2009 and shooting will happen back-to-back throughout 2010 with a short break between films. The first film will hit cinemas in December 2011.

- The second film doesn't have a title yet and won't until after scripting is complete. Rather than focusing on the years between the two tales, it will cover a specific incident that took place between them.

- Casting will not begin until next year, however all the original 'Rings' cast members that can be brought back will be.

- The films will be shot in 2.35:1 aspect ratio with a PG-13 rating. There are no plans for a 3D release yet.

- A lot of the original production team will be brought back, as will composer Howard Shore.

- Ian Holm will participate somehow, even though Bilbo will be recast to reflect the character's younger age.

- del Toro's frequent collaborator Ron Perlman will have a role.

- Location shooting throughout New Zealand will take place with Hobbiton to be rebuilt bigger than before. It's unlikely any locations outside NZ will be used.

- A Blu-ray release of the 'Rings' trilogy is in the works, but NOT this year.

Maybe they're remaking Lord Of The Rings... you know it's all about sequels, remakes and franchises. What's better than a sequel remake of a franchise? I can't believe they waited this long ... it's been seven years. They should have Harry Potter do a fly by on Gandalf, cameos and crossovers are cool!

F*ck no! I don't want Harry Potter ruining a classic. I'm sure people over 30 agree.

• 10 months later...

Yeah, I'm bringing this thread back from the 1-year grave. Only because there's news about it now.

World Excl: Jackson/Del Toro Talk Hobbit (Empire Online)

We’ve known for a while that Peter Jackson and Guillermo Del Toro’s eagerly-awaited adaptation of the Lord Of The Rings prequel, The Hobbit, would comprise two movies, due in December 2011 and 2012. But the make-up of those two movies has been up for debate… until now....(more)

Yeah, I'm bringing this thread back from the 1-year grave. Only because there's news about it now.

World Excl: Jackson/Del Toro Talk Hobbit (Empire Online)

So essentially, they are just going to divide The Hobbit up into two films? Probably a good idea for storytelling and a REALLY good idea financially.

Taksraven

I just want to know if they're finally going to get Zeppelin to do the soundtrack... :)

So... is the end of the first movie that Beaorn Bear dude?

How about they import a little Tom Bombadil into this mutha? Then it's two movies good, one movie bad time.

anyone who has'nt seen ralph bashki's Hobbit cartoon motion picture..should go do so immediately!!!

it's amazing how awsome this cartoon is! +...a kick@ss soundtrack - the songs in it are timeless! -_-

Omg, that movie is so great. that's one of those movie's that really good when board and with friends or High. or both. we actually watched that back to back with the animated version of the lion, the witch and the wardrobe in my scifi lit class last year, good times.

I haven't been following this thread so I have no idea if people think this is a good idea or not. I always liked the hobbit more than LotR.

anyone who has'nt seen ralph bashki's Hobbit cartoon motion picture..should go do so immediately!!!

it's amazing how awsome this cartoon is! +...a kick@ss soundtrack - the songs in it are timeless! -_-

Hmmm? Rankin-Bass did The Hobbit (and Return of the King), Ralph Bakshi did The Lord of the Rings (comprising The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers).

I liked Rankin-Bass The Hobbit TV Special...my only problem is that I also had the story album when I was a kid, and I listened to it incessantly. To this day, I still have Orson Bean and John Huston's voices going through my head when I read the book...

...my only problem is that I also had the story album when I was a kid, and I listened to it incessantly. To this day, I still have Orson Bean and John Huston's voices going through my head when I read the book...

....Ohh..What are you doin', and where are you goin'?

Your ponies need shoein'! The river is flowin'......

Sorry, did I induce a nightmare!?!

:lol:

• 1 year later...

That's a sadness, in itself. Regardless of weather or not the films get made, they've lost an incredible talent to compliment the films. One can only hope they don't settle for someone like Michael Bay, once the films do get the green light (A dubious prospect, at best).

The main problem is MGM is the studio behind the films, and that studio has been having issues keep afloat, hence why the films kept getting pushed back. I am sure they will be green lit but it may have to be by another studio at this point.

They can't even get a Bond film made. You know you're in trouble when you can't even support your flagship title. The hobbit was a boring as hell book anyway. I can't believe they were going to try to make 2 movies out of that. Maybe if they settled for one movie and then just released a 3 hour version SE DVD they could have had it greenlit.

[quote name='Ratchet' date='26 May 2008 - 11:42 PM' timestamp='1211870526'

F*ck no! I don't want Harry Potter ruining a classic. I'm sure people over 30 agree.

lol, I just read this. I can't believe the things people take seriously.