It's been happening for years.

no... Peter Jackson is confirmed as executive producer. That has not been happening as PJ and Newline have been in a pissing match over the LoTR films for a while now with newline saying they will never work with PJ again and all sorts of craptacular stuff being said.

Well, this is certainly surprising news. Especially for a skeptic like myself, it's nice to see things do work out from time to time. Of course, with the amount of money to be made from this Hobbit film, I'm sure New Line and Jackson had more than enough incentive to reconcile their little spat :)

Ummm.....the sequel to The Hobbit is The Lord of the Rings. How the f&ck can they make a sequel?

Maybe they're remaking Lord Of The Rings... you know it's all about sequels, remakes and franchises. What's better than a sequel remake of a franchise? I can't believe they waited this long ... it's been seven years. They should have Harry Potter do a fly by on Gandalf, cameos and crossovers are cool!

I'm sure it's just a confusion of terms. I remember Peter Jackson saying long ago that in order to do the Hobbit justice it would need to be three or at least two films. So it'll most likely be The Hobbit Part 1 and Part 2.

Nah... he's said before that the second part will actually be transitional material between The Hobbit and LOTR. I cannot recall, however, whether or not he sid he will be using notes from Tolkien himself or pulling it out of his, now slim, Kiwi bottom.

I'm sure it's just a confusion of terms. I remember Peter Jackson saying long ago that in order to do the Hobbit justice it would need to be three or at least two films. So it'll most likely be The Hobbit Part 1 and Part 2.

yes, this was PJ's plan, to split the book in two. Not making a "sequel".

Though.. that could be funny... bilbo and temple of doom?

Does anything even happen in between the Hobbit and Fellowship? I can't imagine an entire 2 or 3 hour film of Bilbo sitting around Bag End stroking his Precious.

Well Gandolf gets captured by the Necromancer (Sauron in disguise) during the Hobbit... but I think the sequel is supposed to focus more on the LOTR characters.

I sure hope Peter Jackson finds a way to have the Army of the Dead show up at the Battle of Five Armies. It'd be waaaaay better that way. It'll be the Battle of Six Armies with One That is Dead and Invincible.

Well Gandolf gets captured by the Necromancer (Sauron in disguise) during the Hobbit... but I think the sequel is supposed to focus more on the LOTR characters.

yeah, some people are saying the sequel will be about the early days of aragorn.

but I could swear I read an interview or something with PJ about his ideas for the hobbit and that he was going to split the book in two and pad the first movie with a bit on the early days of the ring.

shrug. I would think that newline and PJ would think twice about screwing around with the story after all the flak they caught with their relatively minor changes to LoTR...

Misspell Gandalf again and there will be a banning! :)

Having said that, Gandalf made more than one foray into Dol Guldur. But the one to which you refer (where he met Thrain in the dungeon -- though Gandalf was probably not imprisoned himself) takes place prior to The Hobbit. During The Hobbit, Saruman finally gives in and allows the White Council to assault Dol Guldur and drive Sauron out. Though, this is only referred to and does not actually happen in the book.

/Tolkien Nerd

So are they gonna split The Hobbit into 2 2-hour movies or something? Or is he gonna pull from The Silmarillion to kill a lot of time?

The Silmarillion would be longer than LotR. Though, Jackson can't pull from The Silmarillion. The Tolkien estate still holds the rights to The Silmarillion. Only the rights to The Hobbit and LotR were signed away long ago when Tolkien needed some cash for taxes.

Want to hear something disgusting? Tolkien's family hasn't seen a dime from any of the LotR movies, games, or merchandise.

The law is the law. . . but that just troubles me.

Want to hear something disgusting? Tolkien's family hasn't seen a dime from any of the LotR movies, games, or merchandise.

Jeez...you'd think PJ and crew would at least give them some 'thanks' money.

Misspell Gandalf again and there will be a banning! :)

Having said that, Gandalf made more than one foray into Dol Guldur. But the one to which you refer (where he met Thrain in the dungeon -- though Gandalf was probably not imprisoned himself) takes place prior to The Hobbit. During The Hobbit, Saruman finally gives in and allows the White Council to assault Dol Guldur and drive Sauron out. Though, this is only referred to and does not actually happen in the book.

/Tolkien Nerd

I know it's only referenced but he does tell Bilbo about going into the Necromancer's Dungeon (mind you it's been years since I read the book)

I'm just saying they could develop that into something, I mean the adventures of Gandalf would be awesome.

I know it's only referenced but he does tell Bilbo about going into the Necromancer's Dungeon (mind you it's been years since I read the book)

I'm just saying they could develop that into something, I mean the adventures of Gandalf would be awesome.

Indeed, but he's speaking about years before. It's during the period of the book that he goes to the White Council and they actually assault Dol Guldur (once Saruman can no longer dissuade them). Gandalf's infiltration isn't contemporaneous to The Hobbit. . . it takes place prior.

Christopher Tolkien has found otheways to cash in on his Father's work though...

And I thought that one of the two game licenses did go back to the Tolkien estate, cause there was the movie licnese and the book licenese... and I thought they got money for the Book licenese and book based video games that wern't connected to the movie... no?

Christopher Tolkien has found otheways to cash in on his Father's work though...

And I thought that one of the two game licenses did go back to the Tolkien estate, cause there was the movie licnese and the book licenese... and I thought they got money for the Book licenese and book based video games that wern't connected to the movie... no?

The rights holder (Tolkien Enterprises/Saul Zaentz) owns all mass media rights other than the books themselves. They licensed out the movies to New Line Cinema, who then licensed out the rights to make games based on those movies to EA. Meanwhile, Turbine went straight to Zaentz and licensed the rights to do their online game (LotRO) based only on the books (bypassing New Line and the movies. . . which is a good choice, IMHO). But regardless, the Tolkien estate doesn't see a dime.