Terry Pratchett diagonsed with early Alzheimer's

F-ZeroOne

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7141458.stm

:(

I don't know how popular his books are in the US or the rest of the World, but in the UK he was IIRC our biggest-selling author until J.K. Rowling came along. To quote perhaps his most well known character:

THERE IS NO JUSTICE.

(and no, thats not shouting, thats quoting. If you'd like to know where the difference is, might I suggest starting with Terry Pratchetts Mort?)

That's terrible news but I'm inpresssed that he can be upbeat about it.

My Mum has been reading his books since day one and thus my whole household has grown up reading them, fighting over who gets to read the newest once Mum's finished it and listening to the audiobooks on family holidays.

He'd certainly be missed here. :(

I have a few friends who are huge Discworld fans and if the displays at book stores are any indication he was huge a few years ago and is still fairly popular in Canada today.

I myself never got into his books tried to read the first Discworld novel (the colour of magic) but found it a little dull, but sucks to here about that.

Maybe I'll give the books another try.

I have a few friends who are huge Discworld fans and if the displays at book stores are any indication he was huge a few years ago and is still fairly popular in Canada today.

I myself never got into his books tried to read the first Discworld novel (the colour of magic) but found it a little dull, but sucks to here about that.

The later ones pick up.

Honestly, I'm not too fond of the Rincewind books.

I recommend Feet of Clay. That was one of my favorites.

Reaper Man and Soul Music were good too.

Small Gods is still my favorite book ever and, IMHO, a bad Pratchett novel is better than just about anyone else's good one.

Like Fort Max said: At least he's upbeat about it. There's something terribly Pratchettian about his statement. He's a master of gallows humor.

Edited by the white drew carey

"The Colour of Magic" was the earliest book in the Discoworld series, which has gone on to be more and more refined ever since. Everyone has their favourite Pratchett book or sequence, but for me I'd suggest "Guards, Guards!", ""Men at Arms" and "Feet of Clay" as a good starting point.

This is terrible news. Terry Pratchett is such an amazingly talented writer. For God (or fate, or genetics, or what-have-you) to inflict him with Alzheimers' is as horrible a fate as if someone went and smashed his hands. It's a cruel robbing of his greatest gift, the abilty to take the rude material of language and make such wonderful works with them, as much as a sculptor does in clay. As a writer myself, my heart goes out to him. As a fan, I'm concerned for him. But, at least it's still early, and he's relatively young, and there is more and more news every day of a possible cure -- there's still bright hope for him! "Dum spiro, spero" should be everyone's motto!

Personally, of his novels that I've read, my two favorites are "Interesting Times" ("The Hongs, Fangs, Sungs, Tongs and McSweeneys..." "McSweeneys?" "An old, established family..." ) and "Men at Arms" ("When the safety is off, Detritus, Mr. Crossbow is NOT your friend...").