Rob Liefeld vs The Bible

bsu legato

What...the hell...was that? That was the most bizarre thing I've seen today. To be fair, though, I don't think Liefeld was going out of his way to make fun of religion, and personally, I'm not offended. It just looked bloody ridiculous, more than anything. (Though the flying pyramid idea is definetly cool...)

Edited by Pat Payne

HAHAHA! :lol::lol:

Looking at Leifeld drawing the bible is like Guy Ritchie set to direct a remake of The Sound of Music. Could their be anymore of a tragically silly creative dichotomy? :)

Digressing, I don't recall having any strong objection for Liefeld's art, but his work was only ever "kinda good" to me. He was never in danger of becoming a Jim Lee. I do strongly dislike the way Leifeld draws wrists and ankles. I know it makes me sound like a nitpicking fanboy screaming out, but the larger artwork suffered a great deal from the flawed form. The thousand pouches and hundred-tooth grin were just passing fads; notable because they looked different at the time, but annoying for their blatant lack of logic once they become familiar.

Those designs just look wrong. Its not a bad idea to make a cool comic book out of the Bible, but doubted many artist can pull it off. And when you slap on generic designs and comic book cliches, it'll just make the thing look that much more silly. Guess God himself will appear in tight white spandex and a cape, while wearing a piece of underwear on the outside...sigh.

Edited by mpchi

man, i want to reply and say something positive and negative about this Bible work but i cannot.

i was in sophomore in high school when Youngblood #1 was first published, 2nd semester and my friends and i were all like "wow". i think he was in his early 20s.

do you guys know if this Bible renditions are original concepts by Rob Liefeld? of course the stories are not...or do you guys think he's in need of cash really bad?

any of you guys comic artists?

Those designs just look wrong. Its not a bad idea to make a cool comic book out of the Bible, but doubted many artist can pull it off. And when you slap on generic designs and comic book cliches, it'll just make the thing look that much more silly. Guess God himself will appear in tight white spandex and a cape, while wearing a piece of underwear on the outside...sigh.

One thing to note: These are all Hebrew Bible/Old Testament characters.

Actually, there have been daily comic strips of Bible stories in newspapers for decades. Making a comic of Old Testament stories isn't anything new.

Reinterpreting the Old Testaments is always an interesting prospect, as itself is mostly a reinterpretation of older folklore.

But Rob Leifeld still sucks, though.

Image is still around, but Liefield is no longer a part of it. He started Extreme Studios, but even that is gone i think. It's a shame, he has some cool characters, just lame executions and an ego that could sink a battleship.

That said, I htought is Noah was cool.....

That's what i thought, wasn't Rob all cocky?

I guess that's what it takes to make it in the comic business; Moxy! He just lacked the business side and public relations.

So was he a "biter" ? He copied people's work and style?

I don't want to judge the guy...I mean he got accepted to do work by DC and Marvel.

I go to the San Diego Comic Con every year but never had the balls to show my stuff...well actually I don't have much to show.

Image is still around, but Liefield is no longer a part of it. He started Extreme Studios, but even that is gone i think. It's a shame, he has some cool characters, just lame executions and an ego that could sink a battleship.

That said, I htought is Noah was cool.....

actually, as of this past summer when the deal was inked Rob is back at Image. In January 2008, Image comics will release Youngblood #1 written by Joe Casey and art by Derec Donovan.

http://jrients.blogspot.com/2007/02/oh-my-...-seriously.html

You can't make this stuff up. I find this offensive, not because I'm religious (although that would also be a valid reaction to Liefeld's mangling of the subject matter) but because I cannot believe that he's still...STILL getting work in the comic industry.

by the way, these are old sketches...they are from the 2002 Liefeld sketchbook. He is not begging for work either, Marvel has several deals with him lined up after Onslaught Reborn finishes, Killraven being one of them.

and to call the thread Rob Liefeld VS the bible is a bit misleading. Rob is a very religous man, his father was a minister and Rob has always been facinated with the stories of the bible. Being the big sci-fi fan that he is, he thought it would fun to put a futuristic sci-fi take on some bible stories.

Edited by Jeremy007

That's what i thought, wasn't Rob all cocky?

I guess that's what it takes to make it in the comic business; Moxy! He just lacked the business side and public relations.

So was he a "biter" ? He copied people's work and style?

I don't want to judge the guy...I mean he got accepted to do work by DC and Marvel.

I go to the San Diego Comic Con every year but never had the balls to show my stuff...well actually I don't have much to show.

He's a hack. I remember years back when Wizard first pointed it out. Its not the first time its been mentioned on these boards. He copied some gundam and Bubblegum Crisis covers a while back too, and only slightly altered them. Still very obvious he copied them once placed side by side. He got accepted to do work for DC and Marvel at a time when they needed people and his stuff seemed to be new and fresh at the time to them. He might be reliable with regards to deadlines, and as much as people loathe his stuff, he still has a fanbase. That might explain why he still has jobs lined up in comics. Oh btw he also gave Pat Lee his first job. Birds of a feather...

actually, as of this past summer when the deal was inked Rob is back at Image. In January 2008, Image comics will release Youngblood #1 written by Joe Casey and art by Derec Donovan.

Wow... another Image reboot... woot. :rolleyes: Three issues and then disappears into nothing. How many times have they rebooted WildCats and barely made a splash... and Jim Lee is a well liked guy.

Rob Liefeld also burned a lot of comic book professionals by not paying them...

So he's an a-hole like Pat Lee (who had people working for free while he bought expensive sports cars)?

Anymore bastards that don't pay their workers/collaborators? Need to do a "do not buy from x" list.

Wow... another Image reboot... woot. :rolleyes: Three issues and then disappears into nothing. How many times have they rebooted WildCats and barely made a splash... and Jim Lee is a well liked guy.

Which Pat Lee later did too.

Jim Lee was behind both on Wildcats and All Star Batman & Robin, which is why both series got delayed, and Wildcats got delayed for a LONG time.

For what its worth, Rob Liefeld's reboots never last long.

im a huge comic fan, and Liefeld happens to be my favorite artist. Rob, along with Jim Lee and Frank Miller are my top 3. Im glad most comic artists dont draw photo realistic people...if i wanted realism, id watch the news. These are COMIC books, they are supposed to be over the top. Jack Kirby was so far from being anotomically accurate its not even funny, but do people bash him? Nope. Any comic fan who likes Frank Miller, Jim Lee, Michael Turner, Jim Steranko, John Byrne, Steve Ditko, John Romita, John Romita Jr...etc..cannot complain about photo realism and correct anatomy. No one on that list is critcized except liefeld.

plus..any of you out there who like Manga have got to have all the same complaints about anatomy in those books as you do for liefeld art. Manga has some of the most over the top exaggerated anatomy ive ever seen.

Edited by Jeremy007

im a huge comic fan, and Liefeld happens to be my favorite artist. Rob, along with Jim Lee and Frank Miller are my top 3. Im glad most comic artists dont draw photo realistic people...if i wanted realism, id watch the news. These are COMIC books, they are supposed to be over the top. Jack Kirby was so far from being anotomically accurate its not even funny, but do people bash him? Nope. Any comic fan who likes Frank Miller, Jim Lee, Michael Turner, Jim Steranko, John Byrne, Steve Ditko, John Romita, John Romita Jr...etc..cannot complain about photo realism and correct anatomy. No one on that list is critcized except liefeld.

to each his own. I'm sure many people feel the same way you do, which is fine. Personally, i find his poses to be very stiff and wooden and find his drawings to be, on the whole, rather flat. I don't much care for the way he draws expressions either.

There's a difference between most of the artists you mentioned and rob, most of those guys can draw photo-realistically and they know what a human body looks like and how it moves.. then they tweak it or stylize it. Rob's drawings look like he learned how to draw from those guys and the lack of the basics, really hamper him. But whatever, the guy is successful so good for him.

plus..any of you out there who like Manga have got to have all the same complaints about anatomy in those books as you do for liefeld art. Manga has some of the most over the top exaggerated anatomy ive ever seen.

I think you are missing the point, but to each his own.

and to call the thread Rob Liefeld VS the bible is a bit misleading. Rob is a very religous man, his father was a minister and Rob has always been facinated with the stories of the bible. Being the big sci-fi fan that he is, he thought it would fun to put a futuristic sci-fi take on some bible stories.

Perhaps a better title would have been "Liefeld vs Talent" or "Liefeld vs Creativity" then? How about "Liefeld vs Art?" Look, even if we accept the "poor" grasp of anatomy that Romita, Miller et all supposedly have, Liefeld is worse than them by an order of magnitude. The list of his crimes goes far beyond a mere disproportioned triceps or a gross ignorance of foreshortening. There's the absolute laziness in his backgrounds, his inability to design any prop, costume, or character that doesn't looks identical to everything else he's ever done, but the ultimate mark against him is the copying, copying COPYING.

But don't take my word for it. Take a look at THIS link, indicting him for his 40 worst illustrations ever. The man is anti-talent. He's a black hole for artistry.

It's not that I'm against exaggerations and over the top. I just feel like he lacks flair and any type of artistic merit. His poses are so stiff and his designs are so bland and unoriginal. The faces he draws are usually the same no matter what the dialogue is. There some people like Joe Mad that are masters of the exaggerated body types but still contains a lot of fluidity and style (who I think is another a-hole due to being a flake and never finishing Battle Chasers). Rob Liefeld adds to his demerits not only because he can't draw, but he steals ideas and other people's money... I can't really understand why people would be his fans... I'll just chalk it up to bad taste. His upbringing in a strict family was probably what screwed him up morally. Maybe he thought he was above paying people.