Bandai Macross Frontier toys thread

valhary

Seriously, the first prototype pics had people saying it would be a total disaster, then some people kept faith (like me). Then we saw pictures of it getting better and all those complainers stopped. Now we just have the first colored prototype pic and just because it is going on preorder everyone is finding a reason to complain again. Seriously, this isn't the final model, calm down.

I hope the visor is going to be translucent green plastic and not just green paint on top of the base white plastic.

Graham

I didnt know that was something to be concerned about. I hope its the translucent too. :ph34r:

With the way the toy is turning out, I might settle with the better looking model kits instead :( The wide head and pelvis/leg misplacement is a deal breaker for me atm. *long sigh*

post-2208-1215371351_thumb.jpg

Both Alto's VF-25 toy and model has the wide head. I'm starting to think its either a design choice or it might because we've never seen the head from that angle in the anime before. Either way, I have faith that Bandai is aware of it. Even if it does get released looking like that, Kawamori does "okay" it. So who knows whats going on. I'm just hoping Bandai will release more colored pictures soon. We seem to be getting a lot of the grey prototype pictures.

I personally didnt have too much faith in the beginning but after seeing the changes they did and the job they did on the Aquarion DX toys, I have to admit I was quite impressed. If they can get it looking as accurate as the Aquarion toys, its gonna be good day for us Macross fans. Have a little faith people. :D

Edited by AlphaHX

People are not liking the head just because it doesn't look like the animation model? If that is the only reason that isn't much to cry about I think. Kawamori seems to want the head that way but he didn't make that change in time for the show or something. Designers prerogative people, the toy will end up how Kawamori wants it, not how the fans want it. It is we who choose to go with the designer and find what is good in the design that end up liking it the most it seems. Maybe if you think it should be a certain way, you can design your own version and find someway to have it made. I'll always try look at it from a designers perspective. Kawamori can put a giant hump on the back of the fighter mode for all I care, as long as it has a purpose and he intended it to have one instead of just putting it there for no reason, I'll go with it. It may not be aesthetically pleasing but designers don't design for looks they design for use, even toy designers. Kawamori feels for some reason the head needs to be wider like that instead of the way it ended up in the show, so he is going to have the head that way. Besides... the head looks fine to me.

i have high expectations for bandai for making this vf-25 as accurate as the anime...so far the head is too wide

Maybe if you think it should be a certain way, you can design your own version and find someway to have it made.

ill recast a head

i have high expectations for bandai for making this vf-25 as accurate as the anime...so far the head is too wide

ill recast a head

I agree it will most likely turn out just fine in the end, but my point was that there is no good reason for anyone to complain right now.

As for the head, you go right on and do that.

I agree it will most likely turn out just fine in the end, but my point was that there is no good reason for anyone to complain right now.

As for the head, you go right on and do that.

yup when it comes out wide and and with thick jaw

Ferget it, Dex. If it ain't got "Yamato" written on the side of the box, it isn't going to please some people even if Bandai makes it hop outta the box, Fold itself into the fridge and bring you back a b33r all by itself. That's all there is to it.

Ferget it, Dex. If it ain't got "Yamato" written on the side of the box, it isn't going to please some people even if Bandai makes it hop outta the box, Fold itself into the fridge and bring you back a b33r all by itself. That's all there is to it.

Unfortunately true.

I want to hear the sounds of ratchets all over the place on the new DX. I hope we see more pictures soon.

I want to hear the sounds of ratchets all over the place on the new DX. I hope we see more pictures soon.

Yeah, I have my fingers crossed that there are some nice metal ratchet joints on this thing like some SOC toys have. They make such a soothing sound. :D

Actually I kind of like that ratchet sound too, I'm certainly not against that. However you are all right, Yamato purists as they are will never be pleased, but I find it sad that something that looks as if it will be so well done is being put down so much when it hasn't even gotten a chance yet.

why is it.... if somebody complains something about the dx valk you'd assume a person is a "yamato purist"?

fyi i own some SOC's like most of the people here and i owned chunky monkeys before too.

Edited by Vegas Valkyrie

why is it.... if somebody complains something about the dx valk you'd assume a person is a "yamato purist"?

fyi i own some SOC's like most of the people here and i owned chunky monkeys before too.

because some people are unwilling to accept that some of us don't like the Dx on it's own merits and thus we have some sort of hidden yamato agenda.

People have many reasons to complain. Some want to complain so we can all say "ohhhh, he knows what he's talking about, he found a flaw, he's so cool". Some complain cause it's not their preference of manufacturer. Some complain cause life isn't complete without finding something to complain about. Then there are those that complain cause they just want to see a better product in the end. Either way, I'm not about to write it off over minor issues from an early design with color. From what it looked like just a couple months ago and now is a big improvement, and as long as they keep pushing for a better final product, I'm giving my thumbs up.

I wasn't meaning to imply that everyone complaining was a Yamato purist, I was just speaking of those because it was mentioned three post before me. I can tell not all of the unhappy people are Yamato purists.

I did say "some" people.

I hold Bandai's SOC-class entries to a rather high standard myself. My experience, however, also leads me to withhold detailed judgment on the DX Messiah until I see it in all the intended materials, with those materials' appropriate interactive tolerances. Then you'll know what's got a good seam or not, what looks too wide or too skinny, etc etc.

Besides... the head looks fine to me.

Yeah. It is wide in the show too.

snapshot20080707015137dv9.th.jpg

May be it is the 3D art on the magazines that is inaccurate.

More example:

The head looks narrow when it looks down.

snapshot20080707020316sv3.th.jpg

A few frames later, it looks straight and it looks wider.

snapshot20080707020332go6.th.jpg

Edited by CF18

Yeah. It is wide in the show too.

snapshot20080707015137dv9.th.jpg

May be it is the 3D art on the magazines that is inaccurate.

More example:

The head looks narrow when it looks down.

snapshot20080707020316sv3.th.jpg

A few frames later, it looks straight and it looks wider.

snapshot20080707020332go6.th.jpg

Very nice pics. Good catch on that, seems the head is naturally that way and it all depends on angles. The current color picture of the toy the head is looking straight at the camera and by your pics that means it would appear wide and it does. Whether it looks slimmer in a different angle on the toy we will have to wait to see.

Neither does the one holding the knife. I'm sure it'll be fine i the final sculpt. I wouldn't be too woried about the hands at this point, seeing how the sculpt is less than proportionate. The shoulders, antennae, and torso section is all wrong.

This is a rather old set of pics I believe, I know I've seen these before (but not in this size so that is nice). I bet they are already well past these in the prototypes (we know they have colored ones).

I see what you mean Dio, but I think the knife hand is more detailed just to show off the holding of knife capacity. These sculpts here aren't meant to represent a complete workable toy I don't think.

Is it me or does the VF-25 look like something from Sega's Virtua-On?

I haven't seen a single episode of Macross Frontier yet (though that's about to change soon, I hope) so I can't really say I know a lot about the Messiah. But compared to the original valks, the new designs don't seem to appeal to me that much.

I'm looking forward to the toy however. As a chunky fan, I can't wait to see what Bandai does with this new Macross line.

Is it me or does the VF-25 look like something from Sega's Virtua-On?

I haven't seen a single episode of Macross Frontier yet (though that's about to change soon, I hope) so I can't really say I know a lot about the Messiah. But compared to the original valks, the new designs don't seem to appeal to me that much.

There's more Aquarion and Armored Core in Kawamori's designs... :unsure:

There's more Aquarion and Armored Core in Kawamori's designs... :unsure:

That sculpted detail on the VF-25's crotch looks hawt.

/admires the crotch.

As for the hands, we've seen a bunch of different hands, from fists to blade-fist hands, to gun and knife holding hands. I'm sure Bandai in typical fashion will include a plethora of appropriate hands for the 25. I wont even mind if there isn't a poseable one in there; poseable hands have a nasty tendency to have difficulty holding things, anyway.