Bandai Macross Frontier toys thread

valhary

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying we shouldn't let yamato know about when they frak it up, I was replying specifically to BoB.

Yamato, imo, does deserve a lot of the flak it gets. they have an established history of messing up some minor detail on their "good" releases" and every once in a while, completely screwing up... My point was only that yamato is not alone in releasing poorly constructed or designed toys.

My point was only that yamato is not alone in releasing poorly constructed or designed toys.

They aren't but they screw up more frequently than the likes of Takara and Bandai. Sure Yamato is a much smaller company and is the newbie in comparison, but if they are going to charge high for their toys, and expect to play with the big boys, it would be good if their quality control was up to par.

Sure it might be now with the new guy on board, but its going to make up for the various qc/design problems they've had the last 8 years.

Anyways since the DX was not actually at Shizuoka, I have a feeling Bandai will unveil the first waves of the DX and 1/100 lines at Summer Wonderfest. Damn I hate waiting.

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

Anyways since the DX was not actually at Shizuoka, I have a feeling Bandai will unveil the first waves of the DX and 1/100 lines at Summer Wonderfest. Damn I hate waiting.

Or likely at Tokyo Toy Show, which I think is coming soon.

Graham

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying we shouldn't let yamato know about when they frak it up, I was replying specifically to BoB.

Yamato, imo, does deserve a lot of the flak it gets. they have an established history of messing up some minor detail on their "good" releases" and every once in a while, completely screwing up... My point was only that yamato is not alone in releasing poorly constructed or designed toys.

Yamato ARE THE ONLY ONES that screw-up on the same things they've been working on since day one, many years ago. Other companies don't have that kind of privilege to do over. They were damn lucky nobody else are making the valks from SDF to Mac +.

If Yamato are the sole licensee for the three Macross sequels, I hope to God that sheer bad luck or thru freak disaster will bring an end to their gravy train so other companies will have their chance. If they ain't gonna piss properly and clean up on their first releases without charging for it as a new purchase, they don't deserve use the pot.

Yamato ARE THE ONLY ONES that screw-up on the same things they've been working on since day one, many years ago. Other companies don't have that kind of privilege to do over. They were damn lucky nobody else are making the valks from SDF to Mac +.

If Yamato are the sole licensee for the three Macross sequels, I hope to God that sheer bad luck or thru freak disaster will bring an end to their gravy train so other companies will have their chance. If they ain't gonna piss properly and clean up on their first releases without charging for it as a new purchase, they don't deserve use the pot.

If you hate yamato so much then why do you keep buying their products huh? Sure they may have screwed up on some of their products but for the most part they come out pretty good. Hell even with all their flaws theyre toys are pretty good quality and have alot of detail. Can you do better? I think not...

Can you design a toy as complex as a perfect transforming valk? Most companies either cant or would have a hard time doing so. cut them some slack... Sure theyre a young company but theyre learning and most of the flaws with their products are pretty minor if you ask me. Youll keep getting disapointed by yamato if you keep buying the first mold of every product that comes out to since the first editions are the ones with the most problems. I bought all of my valks late in the game so I havent had any problems so far.

Also if your gonna spend over 100 dollars on a product you should at least wait and find out what other ppl say about it. Just because its expensive doesnt mean itll be perfect... Hell there are plenty of expensive sports cars out there and some of them break down within 30000 miles of driving.

IMO though switching over to bandai is the best thing that could happen for the macross series new products. First of all theyll be cheaper and second they wont have as much quality control issues as yamato has being that theyre a bigger and more expierienced company with this sort of thing. I also hope they bring out a chogokin line for the new vf-25 or at least a similar 1/60 scale product of what yamato has out now with theyre valks.

Actually we've been thru this... the purchase of their first releases some how guarantees future releases. If their first releases don't do well, they could pull the plug on it altogether. Factor this with the fact that the valks are the most beautiful in the market, you get a catch 22 situation. To me, I see it as Yamato making hostage of the valks with their bad manufacturing practice. In other words, if you get a bad piece, it's like being served sh!t at the Lafitte - same gag reflex. But nah, you've only started collecting so I'll cut you some slack. As for Yamato, they can kiss my arse!

Edited by Beware of Blast

Actually we've been thru this... the purchase of their first releases some how guarantees future releases. If their first releases don't do well, they could pull the plug on it altogether. Factor this with the fact that the valks are the most beautiful in the market, you get a catch 22 situation. To me, I see it as Yamato making hostage of the valks with their bad manufacturing practice. In other word, if you get a bad piece, it's like being served sh!t at the Lafitte - same gag reflex. But nah, you've only started collecting so I'll cut you some slack. As for Yamato, they can kiss my arse!

LMAO I like your reply, so basically your saying you will put up with it and buy a first release anyway to keep the company alive? Well while I think it is a noble cause lol I collect based on quality not on company loyalty whatsoever.

So far I have not been disapointed with yamato and I make sure I steer clear of the products that have severe flaws I.E. the sv-51 Ivanov with the parts falling off the wings. But I guess this doesnt affect me as much since im not a hardcore collector and dont buy every new release on the market. Besides even if none of us on this whole site bought another valk... there are plenty of loyal japanese collectors that would keep buying them... therefore a new release or a revised one is almost guaranteed so I dont think you have to worry about that.

Edited by transfan52

I don't buy their first releases anymore; I used to do it cuz they were he only ones around - I think everyone should refrain from buying their first releases. One doesn't need to be a hardcore collector to feel the lost of quality. There is always "something" wrong with each Yamato release, yes even the second and third releases of the same valk. I can't put a Yamato valk next to my Binaltechs and Soul of Chogokins without LMAO.

I don't buy their first releases anymore; I used to do it cuz they were he only ones around - I think everyone should refrain from buying their first releases. One doesn't need to be a hardcore collector to feel the lost of quality. There is always "something" wrong with each Yamato release, yes even the second and third releases of the same valk. I can't put a Yamato valk next to my Binaltechs and Soul of Chogokins without LMAO.

I think thats the main problem people have with quality control right now... and its that there really arent any other options to choose from for a good high quality valk figure... I have to agree with you on some things though... it is annoying to get a bad quality figure especially since you shell out all that money, if there were more competition for valk figures of high quality things would be different and ppl wouldnt complain as much but as of right now all we have are yamato releases... that is until bandai steps in, then well see a difference in quality and possible future competition. Yamato still has their flaws but I wont knock them too much though. At least theyre tring to cater to our interest right?

Never think that just because a company makes a high end product of your favoutite anime, they have your interest at heart but rather your cash as their interest. And I have to disagree that Macross can be solely sustained within Japan alone. The fact that you guys (active collectors) are here along with Graham contributing to this site, as well as robotech.com and a host of other Macross-dedicated fansites and forums tell me that.

If Yamato can have guys like Graham to downplay each flaw that fans point out in a Yamato as perceived panic, I don't see anything wrong with how hard I knock on these fellas - you guys forgive and forget, and loosen your purse strings too easily.

This thread is about MF toys and models from Bandai. I fail to see how complaining about current and past Yamato products in this thread fits considering they don't even have a license to the show.

I also hope they bring out a chogokin line for the new vf-25 or at least a similar 1/60 scale product of what yamato has out now with theyre valks.

They are doing a 1/60 Chogokin VF-25. Also doesn't Yamato have inspectors that are trained to look for defects in the products before they pack?? They should hire Graham to train others to do QC. Lol.

Edited by badboy00z

Maybe Bandai can take a crack at doing the VB-6 Koenig Monster... I know I'd buy a Q-rea, especially if it were 1/60 scale. It doesn't need buttloads of metal either.

Maybe Bandai can take a crack at doing the VB-6 Koenig Monster... I know I'd buy a Q-rea, especially if it were 1/60 scale. It doesn't need buttloads of metal either.

I'd buy a bandai vb-6, couldn't possibly be worse than the yamato.

Edited by eugimon

I've been thinking of getting the König Monster. Is it really that bad? :mellow:

Just off the top of my head.

the arm joints are all friction joints, so they can barely hold a pose.

the arm has little pop up missile launchers that only 1/3rd open

The hips weren't designed right so the legs don't lock against the body properly in shuttle mode. It's not just a matter of the leg being a little loose, there's a big gap between leg/wing and the body. And because the legs don't lock in properly, there's a big hole in the side of the valk that goes clear through... the hole would have been covered by the legs, if they made the hip joint right.

The head covering doesn't really lock out properly in shuttle or gerwalk mode.

The nose cone doesn't stow properly in gerwalk mode.

The nose cone doesn't really lock properly in shuttle mode.

The nose cone doesn't really stow properly in battroid mode.

The legs in gerwalk don't really lock in place, the whole thing basically collapses in on itself, so almost zero posability in gerwalk mode.

The legs lock stiff in Battroid mode.. you can fiddle with them to give them some semblance of knees... so almost zero posability in battroid mode.

Edited by eugimon

I've been thinking of getting the König Monster. Is it really that bad? :mellow:

only transformed mine to destroid..arms were too loose and sagged

Edited by Vegas Valkyrie

On the other hand, I love the Koenig, it is probably my favourite Yamato. The arms do get loose over time, but you can stiffen the joints using nail polish or something. I did that and mine are fine now. The pegs that hold it together in Monster/Gerwalk mode do break off, that's my main gripe.

Other than that, I had waited years for a toy of that design and even filled and sent in those questionnaires that Yamato includes in the boxes, pleading them to make it. And they delivered. No, the sculpt is not perfect, but I'm very happy to have one. If it breaks to the point of disrepair I will most likely not hesitate to get another.

If Bandai makes one I will get one in a heartbeat. But I just don't see them bothering. As far as toys, the VF-25 and its variants will probably be it for any new sculpts.

a snap together with good joints is do-able right? I'm not that famliar with Bandai's grading format, but i can see them doing one for sure... hope so! I'd love a 1/60 scale...

I could take an interest in some MF snap kits. I have this weird thing with model glue, super glue or pretty much any kind of adhesive where if I so much as touch a bottle there is suddenly glue everywhere. I think I have a special power that actually extracts glue through the sides of the container and releases it into the air in a sort of cloud. I'd be the worst X-Men character ever. :D

lol.. for some reason it came to me..

".. i'm belimic."

Hansel - ".... :o you can read minds??" lol don;t knw why, just powers and stuff your talking about and... maybe it's the rum lol

Drunken posting = win.

My special modeling power is the ability to touch paint before it's fully dried or cured and leave smears or fingerprints, no matter how much I know I shouldn't. Also, futz with things before the glue is dried.

I too, wish Bandai would bring a new Koenig to the market, as I think it's a great looking design (and who doesn't want a Monster of some kind?) but the talk of floppy arms and breaking hips on the yamato version has deterred me from the existing one.

I think we will see VF-25 and 27 in DX form. I think DX will be the meat, 1/100 will be the potatoes. I just hope the 1/100 line comes with launch stands that double as display stands for battroid/gerwalk. I'd love to have a 1/100 display going with Alto taking on Klan Klan's Q-Lea. I hope the 1/100 line has minimal parts swapping(if any...hopefully just the landing gears). I also think Bandai's 1/100 line will blow away Toynami's, and that they might be making a VF-1 too(anyone remember that poll a while back where Bandai asked which license fans wanted for HCMpro, and Macross was one of the ones that people voted for, alongside Lgaim and other animes?).

I'd love to see some DX Q-Leas.

I doubt niether one of them would care. Legally they can't support us. Plus Graham doesn't work for Yamato, so if a review for the DX VF-25 is front paged, it wouldn't really matter.

I think they are handling the 1/72 models that Bandai has announced. The VF-25 in 3 modes sans armor was the 1/72 prototype. The only glimpse we had of the 1/60 was the one with FAST packs in fighter mode only.

Judging by the pics, the VF-25 is close to the size of the YF-19 in 1/72.

My mouth is watering for VF25's in battroid mode...especially an armored ozama special! If they are produced, I'm gonna spend a ton!!!! :lol:

Edited by fhrex

speaking of having no time,

i've been out of the loop so I'm not sure if anyone posted this

courtesy of toysdaily

Wow looks better now that we see a clearer image, thanks for the post! This is the same picture in the ad shown as shizuoka, only this has much better clarity.

Looks like the crotch is mistransformed, and the head lasers need to be angled back, and thats about it. Looks good so far. Not comparable at all to Bandai's DX Fire valk from years ago, this thing is way more accurate to the VF-25 animation model than the DX Fire valk was to the VF-19 animation model.