Macross 25th Anniversary and Macross F/Frontier news thread III

azrael

I actually have that issue but unfortunately I can't scan it since I don't have a scanner. Sorry.

And yes to answer your previous question, it is 71 pages in length and covers the story from the first episode into 1/5 of what would be in the second episode.

I finally managed to snag a copy. While it's true it does cover the events in episode #1 and part of episode 2, events do not happen in exactly the same way as in the anime. In fact there are some significant differences.

• We get to see lots more of the VF-171 in 3 modes.
  • There is some Ranka fan service.
  • There is additional interaction between Alto and Sheryl during the concert.
  • Gillian (the pilot of the white, red & black VF-25) suffers a different fate.
  • Alto is not wearing his X-Gear when he takes over the VF-25

Quite a few other differences as well.

Attached are the color introductory pages. I'll start scanning the actual manga tomorow.

Graham

post-11-1199287825_thumb.jpg

post-11-1199287982_thumb.jpg

I finally managed to snag a copy. While it's true it does cover the events in episode #1 and part of episode 2, events do not happen in exactly the same way as in the anime. In fact there are some significant differences.

Attached are the color introductory pages. I'll start scanning the actual manga tomorow.

Graham

Graham I am sorry i could not find the scans. But I have a proposal. If you can check your private message? thanks

Ali

Manga versions usually take a different view on events from anime so changes made are to be expected. They'll follow the animated events in concept but the details usually change (like Gillian's death sequence). Different media, different way to tell the story.

I'm pretty sure wolfx means the whole hour long special, not just the directors cut "Deculture" edition of episode 1.

Graham

Yeah...that's what I meant.

Manga versions usually take a different view on events from anime so changes made are to be expected. They'll follow the animated events in concept but the details usually change (like Gillian's death sequence). Different media, different way to tell the story.

That's the way it should be. Otherwise they might as well take stills from the anime and put speech bubbles on them.

Thanks for the scans Graham. It's nice to see traditional drawn artwork of the VF-25 in a simplified style. I love the new head units (yes, I know I'm repeating myself, but they are fantastic!) :)

Yes but the'25 is missing a lot of deatils I hope it's just in that drawing.

Oh man this mangaka has some drawing problems. Ranka's face is totally off balance and looks funny.

Damnit, they should have gotten a somewhat decent artist for the MF manga. :(

I totally agree, the style looks very amateur, almost 2nd grade quality. I wonder why they didn't try to contact mikimoto like they did with M7 trash.

I totally agree, the style looks very amateur, almost 2nd grade quality. I wonder why they didn't try to contact mikimoto like they did with M7 trash.

Probably due to the fact Mikimoto has other engagements, namely the manga "Ecole du Ciel". Granted I was surprised when I found out Mikimoto wasn't handling the Frontier adaptation but that was mainly due to the fact I've heard a rumor somewhere that had erroneously named him as handling it.

**The following may be spoiler-ish if you are planning to read the scans Graham is doing of the manga, so proceed at your own discretions**

I do agree with Graham that the manga gave us more shots of the VF-171 in various modes but just don't expect the action sequences in it to match that of the show. Most of the battles had no more than just a page dedicated to it. You also have to remember that this manga is serialised in a shonen (catering to 11-16 year olds) magazine, as a result you can't expect it to be as gritty in it's depictions as it would have if it was in a seinin (16-onwards) magazine. (Granted this may hold no water when you consider this mag had once serialised MPD Psycho)

The story in the manga do happen differently to the show but there is more of a focus to the comedic. Such as when Ranka met Alto for the first time. Maybe it was just me but I was laughing when I read that sequence and the subsequent exchange. Especially when you remember in the special what Ranka said what she was trying to do in that park prior to meeting Alto.

What I'd like to see is the Manga "add" to the existing story of the anime. Such as giving back stories, peripheral events, etc... Things the anime won't have time to dwell on, but are an extention of the existing series of events.

What I'd like to see is the Manga "add" to the existing story of the anime. Such as giving back stories, peripheral events, etc... Things the anime won't have time to dwell on, but are an extention of the existing series of events.

You're looking for a side-story then. The Frontier manga is just an adaption/serialized version of the animation. As far as I know, there haven't been any announcements for a side-story.

I don't know... Even though it's a bit amatuerish, I'm liking the manga character designs more than the anime designs. They seema bit more fleshed out.

I think the anime designs are probably the worst of the Macross projects. In many of the scenes the characters suffer from a phenomenon I like call "flat-face" where the animators can't seem to draw a face from the side without making it look the a cube with a nose on it (this is most evident when the eyes are drawn on the same precise lines).

Its not enough to turn me off of the show, but I do think they're not very good designs.

Yeah, we all miss Mikimoto. :(

True dat, but I think that there's more than enough room for different character designs in Macross. IIRC, a lot of people were irked by the M0 designs, but I thought they were all right. My least favorite behing MF is probably M+.

It's also not totally the character designs themselves, although the super-long noses are a bit too much, but mistakes by the animators. I mean, look at the angle she is in this shot, and the animators simply couldn't draw it correctly so it looks really, really bad:

MF-55.png

Here is a prime example of that flat-face thing I was talking about. Considering the position of his torso, I'd say his neck would broken right now... :rolleyes:

MF-78.jpg

Overall, tiny errors in the animation can really hurt the show. I hope they fix up some of this stuff... :unsure:

Edited by the white drew carey

You're looking for a side-story then. The Frontier manga is just an adaption/serialized version of the animation. As far as I know, there haven't been any announcements for a side-story.

Not necessarly true as the Eva manga adaptation actually build on the character's back stories, which coincidentaly is also serialized in this mag as well. Though that is neither here nor there since Sadamoto is given carte blanche to take as long as he likes to come out with each chapter, and if you didn't know already, it's still on-going.

I'm pretty sure the artist on this Macross Frontier manga isn't going to be given that much freedom to do just that.

I have to say, Gurren Lagann had some of the most inconsistant artwork and animation of any series I've seen in a long while, but the show was bloody brilliant. Its not going to make or break Macross F.

I don't know... Even though it's a bit amatuerish, I'm liking the manga character designs more than the anime designs. They seema bit more fleshed out.

I think the anime designs are probably the worst of the Macross projects. In many of the scenes the characters suffer from a phenomenon I like call "flat-face" where the animators can't seem to draw a face from the side without making it look the a cube with a nose on it (this is most evident when the eyes are drawn on the same precise lines).

Its not enough to turn me off of the show, but I do think they're not very good designs.

The manga does seem abit more on the "moe" side.

But IMHO this isn't one of the worst char designs in Macross. I feel that category goes to Macross Plus, designed by Masayuki. The sharp noses and flat faces were more evident there giving it a really retro anime look.

True dat, but I think that there's more than enough room for different character designs in Macross. IIRC, a lot of people were irked by the M0 designs, but I thought they were all right. My least favorite behing MF is probably M+.

It's also not totally the character designs themselves, although the super-long noses are a bit too much, but mistakes by the animators. I mean, look at the angle she is in this shot, and the animators simply couldn't draw it correctly so it looks really, really bad:

MF-55.png

Here is a prime example of that flat-face thing I was talking about. Considering the position of his torso, I'd say his neck would broken right now... :rolleyes:

MF-78.jpg

Overall, tiny errors in the animation can really hurt the show. I hope they fix up some of this stuff... :unsure:

I don't know, honestly I've never been so big on animation errors or just sloppy animation - frankly, some of the AnimeFriendliest episodes of Macross are still fine to me because I like the story, etc.

For what it's worth, I didn't really notice either of the issues you mentioned while watching the show, especially since they were so brief.

I have to say, Gurren Lagann had some of the most inconsistant artwork and animation of any series I've seen in a long while, but the show was bloody brilliant. Its not going to make or break Macross F.

Would you recommend Macross fans check it out? I hadn't even heard of it before but I saw some ads for it (which seemed kind of high on the cheesecake factor), and saw a clip, but couldn't tell what to make of it.

-Elektrix

I don't know, honestly I've never been so big on animation errors or just sloppy animation - frankly, some of the AnimeFriendliest episodes of Macross are still fine to me because I like the story, etc.

For what it's worth, I didn't really notice either of the issues you mentioned while watching the show, especially since they were so brief.

i agree, you have to watch the show, ignore the errors and enjoy it. i found a scene in sdf macross (tv) where roy only had half of his head. so i rewinded the scene, watched it again and i laughed ('cause it was funny seein' roy missin' the top half of his head).

I find it very funny that when the special was released everybody liked it in every way, and no one complained about it the first couple of days, but since time has passed I guess we have gotten to the point where we are dissecting it, maybe we are doing this because we are bored or we......I dont know, I just cant get my finger on it, possibly we feel we can do a better job ourselv's but could we, I believe I had the services at my disposal I could, but I can be dead wrong. :p

But heres something, maybe we continue to watch macross F because it is close to our fantasy, remember the word close, if it was exactly what we dreamed about then we would not complain, no matter how good of a anime we watch we will always criticize it.

Edited by deadghost

Actually I'd be surprised if no one critizied the first episode, deadghost. Especially from the Macross fans themselves.

I personally found that while understandable that they try and cater to as many newcomers and old fans alike, ends up looking rushed as they try and touch on as many things as possible before they start blowing things up.

As it is at the moment Ranka is the most fleshed out character at the moment and as a result the one I'm most attached to at the moment. As for Alto, even though he had the most screen time next to Ranka, to me he's just a bland angry young man.

Of course I do understand it's just one episode so far, so it's not fair to judge but just by looking at the commercial for the second episode I could tell that one is going to be the better episode since the characters will be given more screen time to develop and grow.

Edited by Strumvogel

I dunno, I hear people saying this about Alto, and I recall lots of people making the same statements about Shin. Generic young angry man. Meanwhile, in Zero, they really deflated Shin's "generic rage" and gave him a humourous side pretty quickly. It seems they pushed it even further with Alto, giving him a quirk that really brings his brooding side down several notches and even pokes fun at it. He seems to like Ranka, already planning on taking her up on her offer to drop by the restaraunt, and he isn't so much of a loner that he has no friends.

I'm thinking people tend to latch on to an immediate first impression and stick with it, even if that impression is shattered within the same episode, or in the case of Frontier, within that first introductory scene.