Macross 25th Anniversary and Macross F/Frontier news thread III

azrael

I just watched this last night, I got the shinsen version.

I thought it was really cool, seemed pretty reminiscent of Macross Plus to me stylistically, especially with the music and those guys wooping their hands about, lol.

The new Valks are poo hot, the armoured one was jaw dropping.

Pretty cliched start but it was very well done and not at all boring, I'll be sticking with this one.

I suspect I'm probably the only person in the forum that's not a fan of the FAST packs for the VF-25. Well, the one on the "1J" style didn't bother me so much, need to see more of them before I make an opinion, but the "command" armour just seemed far too busy. Of course, I'm also not a fan of the Stampeed Valkyrie or the early roughs of the VF-3000 that this armour seems to be descended from.

I suspect I'm probably the only person in the forum that's not a fan of the FAST packs for the VF-25. Well, the one on the "1J" style didn't bother me so much, need to see more of them before I make an opinion, but the "command" armour just seemed far too busy.

You're not alone... it seemed awfully busy for me. The beautiful valk was getting lost under all that armor.

I suspect I'm probably the only person in the forum that's not a fan of the FAST packs for the VF-25. Well, the one on the "1J" style didn't bother me so much, need to see more of them before I make an opinion, but the "command" armour just seemed far too busy. Of course, I'm also not a fan of the Stampeed Valkyrie or the early roughs of the VF-3000 that this armour seems to be descended from.

For a transforming GBP, i'd hit it. ;)

Problem is, it looks like it probably needs it to be a bloomin match for these aliens.

The lego model looks like a cross between a SV-51 and a VF-14 Vampire.

To me it looked like a Aliens Power Loader strapped behind a Gundam Seed METEOR unit.

For a transforming GBP, i'd hit it. ;)

To me it looked like a Aliens Power Loader strapped behind a Gundam Seed METEOR unit.

I meant that Kawamori interview one, I have no idea what the hell the one on this page is all about.

Yeah i was thinking the same, it was great hearing as the bgm of the battle between the insects and the VF-171, considering that it was used as the song for the initial trailer of Macross F and for the trailer of episode 2, I think it would be a first one that the intro song is actually sang within the series.

Ok, I have a question regarding Nanase Glass (I think that's how you say/spell her name???). She's the military lieutenant put in charge of Sheryl Norme's security during the concert. Being that I'm a huge Misa Hayase fan (DUH!) does she seem similar to her and do you think she'll play a big role in the series?

To me, the commander armor looks like a huge hunk of wtf with a lil valkyrie attached to it rather than Valkyrie with additional ordinance tacked on like regular fast packs.

I dunno but I think Kawamori wanted to go all silpheed or something on that particular design to make it look badass.

Since Missiles seems to mean diddly with these aliens you'd assume they just tack on a large caliber cannon or something onto to VF's so that they can actually do damage in the future

Then I bet they're going to go all gundam seed and have the BFG swing out from behind the VF so that he can do a badass pose before he fires

Edited by Duymon

To me, the commander armor looks like a huge hunk of wtf with a lil valkyrie attached to it rather than Valkyrie with additional ordinance tacked on like regular fast packs.

I dunno but I think Kawamori wanted to go all silpheed or something on that particular design to make it look badass.

Since Missiles seems to mean diddly with these aliens you'd assume they just tack on a large caliber cannon or something onto to VF's so that they can actually do damage in the future

Then I bet they're going to go all gundam seed and have the BFG swing out from behind the VF so that he can do a badass pose before he fires

ah come on that armor was so bad ass, It was like shoji was reading my mind when he made it. How could you guys not like it, I have a feeling that ozama will need it to tackle that red bug, I also nick named it the sumo armor. B))

Edited by deadghost

Hey, I've been thinking about the bugs. I don't know what you guys think but they don´t look much like bugs in a closer view. I mean, they can walk in 4 or 2 legs, have those strange markings and those enormous cannons on the back like the zentraedi's nosjadeul-ger. I have the feeling that the protoculture or the supervision army, one of them is behind the attack.

The bug reminds me of Neo-Bahamuth from FF7 Advent Children (mouth piece), EVA-02 (eyes). The energy cannon reminds me of this mecha from VFX-2:

gjagravan-va.jpg

Seems like the bug is equipped with a machine gun/cannon on its forearm (or is it energy based). Makes me wonder if its using machine gun, where the ammo came from :lol:

I wonder when they will released the art of this series? My wish list for the lineart:

- VF-171 (all mode)

- Algenicus look alike

- Bugs biomecha

- The new Guantanamo and Stealth frigate class.

The VF-171 pilots do not seem so cannon fodder like now that I think about it. The only reason Ozma was unharmed was because he hid behind an astroid. Not all the VF-171 guys bit the bullet, but most of them did, along with Ozma's wingman. While its obvious Ozma's got some experience and is in a command position, theres no doubt we will see some ass kicking VF-171 pilots with a lot of experience too. The only difference is that they are with NUNS and Ozma is SMS.

I don't mind the look of the steroid armor on Ozma's valk. I'm happy that there is already more than 1 armor set available for the VF-25.

Damn the valks were beautiful in this episode.

While its obvious Ozma's got some experience and is in a command position, theres no doubt we will see some ass kicking VF-171 pilots with a lot of experience too. The only difference is that they are with NUNS and Ozma is SMS.

I hope so! I think one of the reasons mentioned for the cannon fodderish behaviour of the NUNS pilots was that they weren't expecting the enemy, while the SMS pilots seemed to have been trained and expecting the bugs.

I'd love to see the ghosts in action too. They look really great but were defeated by jamming, of all things... aren't they supposed to be autonomous? I hope they get some software upgrade to improve their combat effectiveness. I also liked how the ghosts were sent first as a screening force rather than sending the NUNS immediately.

"sending the NUNS immediately"... that sounds so... weird... lol

Edited by the_foul_fowl

The bug reminds me of Neo-Bahamuth from FF7 Advent Children (mouth piece), EVA-02 (eyes). The energy cannon reminds me of this mecha from VFX-2:

gjagravan-va.jpg

Seems like the bug is equipped with a machine gun/cannon on its forearm (or is it energy based). Makes me wonder if its using machine gun, where the ammo came from :lol:

Frick you beat me to it.... :p

Thinking about this connection brings alot of possibilities which are too strong to dismiss. If you have played VF-X2 the the Gjagravan-va looks REALLY jarring esthetically. Everything else in the game is bonafide macross universe designs... then this thing emerges as a boss... and you're like WTF where did this come from?

I have a suspicion that the Vindirance group which designed the gjagravan-va might have had some access to Protoculture designs, and that its is a pale copy of the bug we see in Macross F. This would also make sense when you consider the group deploys this advanced jamming system that makes Macross 13 basically unattackable by conventional missiles, which is what we see the Protoculture deploy in Macross F. More and more you think about it, there is a very strong correlation between the two.

I think this is not the first time the UNS or some other group has encountered such a vehicle or technology. Its quite possible that the UNS has salvaged protoculture technology before, maybe something that they found derelict in space... who knows. But this would also fit in with the statement that they knew something was coming.

Edited by Noyhauser

I'd love to see the ghosts in action too. They look really great but were defeated by jamming, of all things... aren't they supposed to be autonomous? I hope they get some software upgrade to improve their combat effectiveness. I also liked how the ghosts were sent first as a screening force rather than sending the NUNS immediately.

Granted this is the wrong thread for this discussion, but it appeared to me that NUNS was actually surprised the Ghosts were taken out by Jamming. Almost as if it was a form of jamming they hadn't anticipated before...

Once would expect that any automated attack fighter deployed in combat would have sheilding against all known jamming signals...

Being UN Spacy you would also expect that your main fighter to be of some use against all possible enemies you face. And yet, as Macross 7 and Frontier show, thats never the case.

To be fair, there is no way to develop a weapon that you know with 100% certainty to be useful against all possible enemies. It would seem the VF-11 would be more than adequate against all known enemies, and there is no reason to spend more money than is absolutely necessary unless you're in the middle of a war. Macross 7 takes place during a period of relative peace and stability, hence the main variable fighter is the VF-11. Not as powerful a weapon as the VF-4 or the VF-14, but serviceable, cost effective, and better than the old VF-1 which had already proved a very capable fighter against Zentradi weapons, which were expected to be the biggest threat.

Macross Frontier takes place shortly after a civil war, unless I'm mistaken. Hence the main fighter in use appears to be an upgraded (or downgraded for cost maybe?) version of the more powerful VF-17.

Of course, it would seem the NUNS pilots behind the controls are inexperienced, and not used to a live combat environment. It's likely they'd never seen actual combat before. A machine's capabilities are limited by the capabilities of its pilot.

=======================================

071228, 2:52 JST

MBS SP confirm MF will be released on Apr. 2008 !!!

by Japanese Fans

WOW that puts things in a better perspective, and I was right mikihail is the new max based upon the color of his valk helmet. And what in Benders name is Brera Sterne, looks like something out of final fantasy. thanks Kresphy

Edited by deadghost

Macross Frontier takes place shortly after a civil war, unless I'm mistaken.

wow that's news to me. that would be a crucial piece of missing info in the prelude if that really were the case.

WOW that puts things in a better perspective, and I was right mikihail is the new max based upon the color of his valk helmet. And what in Benders name is Brera Sterne, looks like something out of final fantasy. thanks Kresphy

Actually, Alto is *supposed* to be the genius pilot of this series.

"Trainee student pilot (main character?). 16 years old.

He was born in the lineage of Kabuki female role and is a genius pilot, so he went against his father's wish and hopes to become a pilot."