Macross 25th Anniversary and Macross F/Frontier news thread III

azrael

Don't mean to cut in on the conversation about VF wing structures. But I've been out of the loop for a while, and want to say that I like what I see on the previews. I can't wait to see the new series. ^_^

But at the same time, for some odd reason, I can't shake this feeling of dread regarding this new series. :unsure:

But at the same time, for some odd reason, I can't shake this feeling of dread regarding this new series. :unsure:

It's that sense of doubt. Perhaps this won't be good as you think. Perhaps it will be a financial mess. Perhaps it won't live up to any expectations. Perhaps....

It's called hype. No one knows how MF will stand up because everything we've seen has been minimal at best. Pictures and a few trailers. No one has actually seen an entire episode or the entire series yet.

The VF-9 Cutlass has only been shown in action in the M3 Dreamcast game as a player selectable mecha. I can't recall if it is shown at all in the opening movie of the game or not, which IIRC features mostly the VF-5000B, VF-4 & Variable Glaug.

Just do a search on YouTube for Macross M3 and I'm sure you can find the movie.

IIRC, the Shoji Kawamori Macross Design Works book features lineart of the VF-9's transformation.

Graham

One thing i tend to wonder is why they are going back to wing mounted ordnance when they always went for internal weapon pallets since the VF-5000.

It's a bane to stealth, altought the fighters can carry more missiles. It's cooler, i know, but storyline wise is just a mess. if instead it was a combination of leg mounted pallets and wing mounted ordnance that would be quite interesting instead.

One thing i tend to wonder is why they are going back to wing mounted ordnance when they always went for internal weapon pallets since the VF-5000.

It's a bane to stealth, altought the fighters can carry more missiles. It's cooler, i know, but storyline wise is just a mess. if instead it was a combination of leg mounted pallets and wing mounted ordnance that would be quite interesting instead.

Well, remember they have active stealth officially for at least a decade now, and with that thing they could have a 747 piggybacking the fighter and still be stealthy (at least, that's the idea). Besides, that we haven't seen the VF-25 or 171 using internal pallets doesn't mean they don't have them.

Well, remember they have active stealth officially for at least a decade now, and with that thing they could have a 747 piggybacking the fighter and still be stealthy (at least, that's the idea). Besides, that we haven't seen the VF-25 or 171 using internal pallets doesn't mean they don't have them.

Agreed.

Active stealth is different from passive stealth which uses the shape of the fighter and deflection to acheive it's small sensor signature.

Just because active stealth is likely used, doesn't mean that a combination of internal and wing mounted ordinance isn't being used. In fact that is the smartest way to do it. It allows maximum payload of missiles while allowing for mini-missiles to be launched as reserve ordinance once all the external pods are depleted...

What we have seen may just be the familiar "oh crap, send as much stuff as you can up against whatever is attacking us."

Stealth is usually used for sneaking around undetected. If you're in the middle of a battle, and the enemy knows you're coming and where you're launching from; stealth is pretty much moot.

Based on what we've seen so far, I'm feeling confidently optimistic that it is going to be a great series.

Graham

Glad you think so! ^_^

But for myself and what I've seen so far I'm fairly underwhelmed and if it positively doesn't blow my socks off on the first episode then I'll pass on it.

Personally, I'm excited about the new series.

I do have some reservations about it being like a school drama, since there has been so many anime recently like that. <_<

On the other hand it's nice that the Macross franchise is not being left to fade away, and I'm happy we get new Valkyries to drool over. ^_^

One thing i wonder is since macross plus we have seen VF on Vf action. do you guys think that at some point we'll see valk on valk combat?

until now it seemed to be the trend that macross would follow.

With private contractors involved, anything is possible. Wouldn't shock me. We know we have colony disputes at this point in time.

Edited by Duke Togo

What we have seen may just be the familiar "oh crap, send as much stuff as you can up against whatever is attacking us."

Stealth is usually used for sneaking around undetected. If you're in the middle of a battle, and the enemy knows you're coming and where you're launching from; stealth is pretty much moot.

Good point. If the enemy already knows where you are, you are pretty much stuck with the situation as it is... Then the added experience of what the Mac 5 & 7 fleets faced and the success / failure of how they dealt with their threat.

Carrying only internal missile ordinance really didn't serve those fleets very well in open battle.

One thing i wonder is since macross plus we have seen VF on Vf action. do you guys think that at some point we'll see valk on valk combat?

until now it seemed to be the trend that macross would follow.

Maybe not so much Valk on Valk, but probably transforming fighter vs transforming enemy mecha... Mac Zero showed us how it should be done and Mac 7 showed us how it shouldn't... <_<

Edited by Zinjo

With private contractors involved, anything is possible. Wouldn't shock me. We know we have colony disputes at this point in time.

What Private Contractors? Are you referring to Statelight? Or in-universe, such as Stonewell, Bellcom, General Galaxy, or Shinsei Industry?

were talking about black water... j/k.

it seems today that private militias are a new fashion in this troubled time, just look how the news recently cover this type of stories taking place in mid east. even in games like army of two. as long as the SMS aren't like the two main characters from that game...

I don't look at a group like SMS and think Blackwater. Like, oh, these guys must be trouble! But do I think there is potential there for conflict with UNS regulars? Yes. Or, they may not be used as that kind of story device at all, they may indeed just be filling the same role the UNS did in previous stories. Their presence may just be a sign of the times.

I just think the story will be less interesting if some sort of tension or dispute doesn't develop over their independent, private status.

Where is this plural coming from? If there was more than one group or organization, it would be stated in Japanese*.

It's not.

There is only one force. Small or big, we will find out.

You may be inclined to joke and misuse the terms, but keep in mind that using the wrong term results in the wrong meaning, and your point and message not being understood. When I read defence contractor, I think of the people who make toys for the military, such as Boeing, Lockheed-Martin, or Colt Firearms. Defence Contractor is different from Private Military Company (sic. Contractor), which are both very, very different from 民間軍事部隊.

So far, what we can ascertain from the images, is that SMS is part of the Private Military Force (民間軍事部隊), and that General Galaxy is a Defence Contractor for the Frontier Fleet (possibly "the only" Defence Contractor, pending the Defence Contractor responsible for the production of the VF-25 and it's additional parts and munitions.)

* Quickie Japanese lesson: all Japanese words are uncountable and require a quantifier of some kind. In this case, there is no quantifier, thus we arrive at the default of one (1).

I think you are looking too much into my statement, with the "plural". We only know of one in Frontier, yes. And until we hear something else, I think its pretty safe to assume SMS is a private paramilitary force akin to say, Blackwater.

The question is why are they there, and what role will they play in this story? I'd like to see something more complex than just, "In tonight's episode, the role of UN Spacy is being played by SMS...."

Edited by Duke Togo

I'll be pretty disapointed if there's not a plot relevent reason for the SMS... something that has more impact on the story than some throw-away line that hints about the larger political picture and then completely ignored.

I get that Macross is supposed to be about the micro human scale drama set against the backdrop of intergalactic war, but if they're going to keep changing things, at least make them mean something.

I'll be pretty disapointed if there's not a plot relevent reason for the SMS... something that has more impact on the story than some throw-away line that hints about the larger political picture and then completely ignored.

I get that Macross is supposed to be about the micro human scale drama set against the backdrop of intergalactic war, but if they're going to keep changing things, at least make them mean something.

We're still a little more than 4 months away, so there's plenty of time for more info to come.

Active stealth is different from passive stealth which uses the shape of the fighter and deflection to acheive it's small sensor signature.

Passive stealth also makes use of RAM (Radar Absorbent Material) in the construction of the aircraft.

Graham

At like 1 or 2 AM sometime this coming week, I think.

It's tomorrow. The air time info is in the news section of the MW Frontier page (the link in my sig).

The Macross 25th Anniversary Special program that was announced earlier this month will air in Japan on December 23 at 26:50 (effectively 2:50 a.m. the next day) on the Kansai region's MBS station, and on December 28 at 25:15 (1:15 a.m. the next day) on the Tokyo area's TBS station. The one-hour special will include a retrospective of previous Macross projects and a special compilation of clips from the first episode of Macross Frontier. This will be the first new Macross animation footage to premiere on television in over 12 years.

Graham

I think you are looking too much into my statement, with the "plural". We only know of one in Frontier, yes. And until we hear something else, I think its pretty safe to assume SMS is a private paramilitary force akin to say, Blackwater.

I think it's pretty safe to assume that since it's a Japanese show, and most civilized nations are abhorred by the idea of private armies, that it won't actually end up being private defense contractors.

I think it's pretty safe to assume that since it's a Japanese show, and most civilized nations are abhorred by the idea of private armies, that it won't actually end up being private defense contractors.

wow, so many gross elitest political assumptions in such a short post.

It is the worst kept secret that the term "contractors" used in conjunction with Iraq and / or the Blackwater organization is a euphemism for oil company paid "mercenaries".

However I agree with Graham that the SMS will essentially be the equivalent to JSDF which is something very familiar to the Japanese people. Unlike standing armies around the world, it s not a traditional military. It is structured much more like a civil service branch rather than a military organization as most North American and European nations are accustomed to.

Hence why I described that the SMS and Spacy could be Kawamori's commentary on the current Japanese political climate with the Diet considering changing the constitution to step away from the post-WWII position of defensive armed forces. Each "branch" could represent the different positions, one a defensive force the other more militaristic.

Granted that may be a bit deep for a Mac 7 teenie bopper age group, but it hasn't been established what demographic is going to be targeted yet...

If that is indeed SK's plan it could make the show quite compelling indeed...