Yamato GN-U Non-transforming Macross Action Figures

Graham

I was able to play around with some samples of these today. The 19 is by far the best. Followed by the 21. The least interesting is the 11. It just poses so awkwardly. Huge gun-pod.

The parts were pretty easy to remove so i'm looking forward to Franken-valks. The 21 was a little difficult to pose standing up. the 19 is by far the most flexible.

I like that they have a matte finish.

Actually, I find the 11 very poseable.

Yes, the Gunpod and hands are out of scale, but poseability of the arms and legs is great. Knees and elbows go over 90 degrees, probably around 110 - 120 degrees.

I've got my 11 in some really cool poses.

Actually, I find the 11 very poseable.

Yes, the Gunpod and hands are out of scale, but poseability of the arms and legs is great. Knees and elbows go over 90 degrees, probably around 110 - 120 degrees.

I've got my 11 in some really cool poses.

I think has a lot to do with my not liking this particular version of the 11. I pretty much played around with the 19 anyway.

Not sure when they are out, but I've be given the green light to post me review on June 3rd. Now, I just gotta write the damn thing......LOL.

Will take photos and start on the test tomorrow.

Graham

GAH. I thought it was May 30th/31st.

Looking forward to the review. NOW GET TO WORK!

pwetty pwease.

From the pictures, only the 11 seems nice, and i would be waiting for fps version.

That's funny. I was thinking the exact same thing. Kinda lackluster.

I'll stick to the transformable ones.

Thanks for the photos Graham Master Flash. That VF-11 Looks great! My YF-21 should be shipped soon. Now I will probably have to get the VF-11 as well. Still not liking the YF-21 in the GNU especially since the 1/60 version has such a perfect sculpt in battroid. I still have to get one of those! Blast!

Be careful of the 19 leg fins. One of the fins on mine broke off very easily, two minutes out of the box. It was mostly because it hadn't been glued on properly. Easily fixed though.

And it looks like Yamato made it easier for customizers to work on these things. I can easily see a very talented person making a non-perfect transforming out of the 19.

Thanks for the pics Graham~

Great effort on Graham's part to push these and I've been really trying hard, hard, hard to like them... I really have, but...

sigh~~ :unsure:

I'erno....

For all the hoopla with the skeleton and all, the GNU's poseability is in line with their transforming big brothers...

and although the proportions are more technically "accurate", for a toy like this, accuracy is measured not technically but by their ability to capture the moments of "cool~" that we all remember watching...

and not to say that yamato has to do exactly what Kaiyodo did... but at least have some sort of unique desireable...... something~~

From what I see, they're in some lukewarm place between the 1/60's and the revoltechs... No identity...

Edited by Nani?!

Be careful of the 19 leg fins. One of the fins on mine broke off very easily, two minutes out of the box. It was mostly because it hadn't been glued on properly. Easily fixed though.

And it looks like Yamato made it easier for customizers to work on these things. I can easily see a very talented person making a non-perfect transforming out of the 19.

First run cracking in people's hands. Called it. :lol:

Better this than the 1/60 21.

Edited by GogDog

damn straight!

As it should be though, for $200+ give or take, absolutely nothing should be broken.

Call me crazy, but I'd actually like to see perfect variable versions of the GNU, even if the fighter modes end up looking cartoony in the process. I'm not talking way more expensive, just curious to see what the end result would be. I'm not expecting it to happen.

The VF-2SS would be spectacular for this line. I wish Yamato could have nailed the 1/60 PV YF-19's battroid mode, the way the GNU figure does. Just goes to show the difficulties of balance in each modes and the compromises needed for perfect transformation.

I may pick up a GNU figure but I won't be collecting a lot of them.

The one that had interested me in this line was the VF-11B and even then I was iffy on it. With Graham's pictures all my doubts about this figure have gone away except for that ridiculously over-sized gun. I will probably pick this up one day when I have cash. Can't wait for the review.

http://akibahobby.net/2008/06/yamato_gunyu_yf19_review.html

review from Japan

IMHO:

For:

The painting looks far more better than average of Revlovtech.

There are some details on the elbows.

The panel lines are clear and fine.

Against:

Oversized weapon and hands.

Less exchangable parts.

Surely they are two different toys in the market, but I still think GN-U shouldn't priced that high. 2400Yen(20USD) should be ok to me.

Edited by newca

Surely they are two different toys in the market, but I still think GN-U shouldn't priced that high. 2400Yen(20USD) should be ok to me.

It is significantly bigger though. I understand how you feel though, most releases have been fairly expensive lately. I'd love to see Destroids, and the Guyver Bio Booster Armors handled in this line.

In those "not that much Macross in the market" days, we feel lost;

and these years we feel confused too, don't know which to choose.

We have less space, budget and spare time for them...

Could these big hands been replaced by some HGUC hands?

Can't wait to see some great customize...

GN-U ROCKS!!! Thank you YAMATO!!!!

Today Yamato had their GN-U toy line presentation just outside of Akihabara. They showed off their new line of GN-U toys and what other GN-U toys will come out the rest of this year. It was a small event industry only for about maybe 50 to 60 people and everybody in attendance received a special "Shaded Version" of a GN-U figure. I got the YF-19, and Takashi of Overdrive got the VF-11B. They were give out random so I only know of these two "Shaded Versions", as most other people there didn't take theirs out of the gift bag. I so wanted a YF-21.

So I finally got my hands on the GN-U Macross toys and man they are great. Action Models they are officially called but man they rock, 100 times better than the Revoltech Valks (not counting the new Revoltech YF-19/21 as I yet to pay I mean test them).

If you want to get your hands on a YF-19 "Shaded Verison" attend MacrossWorld Con as I will be sending mine as a prize donation along with other items.

post-3328-1212649596_thumb.jpg

post-3328-1212649626_thumb.jpg

post-3328-1212649635_thumb.jpg

post-3328-1212649645_thumb.jpg

post-3328-1212649653_thumb.jpg

post-3328-1212649663_thumb.jpg

post-3328-1212649671_thumb.jpg

Edited by Save

GN-U ROCKS!!! Thank you YAMATO!!!!

Today Yamato had their GN-U toy line presentation just outside of Akihabara. They showed off their new line of GN-U toys and what other GN-U toys will come out the rest of this year. It was a small event industry only for about maybe 50 to 60 people and everybody in attendance received a special "Shaded Version" of a GN-U figure. I got the YF-19, and Takashi of Overdrive got the VF-11B. They were give out random so I only know of these two "Shaded Versions", as most other people there didn't take theirs out of the gift bag. I so wanted a YF-21.

So I finally got my hands on the GN-U Macross toys and man they are great. Action Models they are officially called but man they rock, 100 times better than the Revoltech Valks (not counting the new Revoltech YF-19/21 as I yet to pay I mean test them).

If you want to get your hands on a YF-19 "Shaded Verison" attend MacrossWorld Con as I will be sending mine as a prize donation along with other items.

Not bad...not bad at all. I'll be a copping a few of these myself. Thanks for the photos!