Yamato GN-U Non-transforming Macross Action Figures

Graham

I am quite disappointed. :( I am a huge YF-19 fan, but this just looks awful. Being a Revoltech fan, it was already decided that I would get those, but I was still planning on picking these up when I had some extra cash, but that motivation has just left me with a harsh Dear John letter. I will still probably get the 21, as it does look much better, but the 19 just has me in awe of how they could mess this up. Seeing as how Yamato is, as Graham stated earlier, kinda jumping on the bandwagon with small, posable figures since they are really getting popular (due to Kaiyodo's plastic magic), it's kinda weird how they have missed the point entirely. The price just voids the deal altogether. What is the point of small, (theoretically) posable figures that cost $50 a pop? It's not the US dollar, as it has only affected import Revoltech purchases for me by about $1.50 a figure. Even at $40-45, this is not worth it.

I know one reason why the GN-U cost more than Revoltechs. They are significantly larger.

I was shown a photo last night of a Revoltech VF-1S standing next to the GN-U YF-19.

The GN-U YF-19 is significantly larger than the Revoltech.

The top of the VF-1S head (head not head lasers) only comes to about the lower chest of the YF-19. Actually, it looked like the top of the VF-1S's head only came to around the bottom of the YF-19's uni-boob (fighter nose cone).

And just to stress, all photos of the GN-Us shown so far are just the rough sculpts. The production versions will have significantly tighter seems and smoother finish.

Graham

One thing I am wondering, Graham. With these GN-U figures, they made it to the front page as breaking news, but some of the Revoltechs have been out for many months, and more upcoming ones have been announced, and they are not even listed on the site's toy menu gallery. Please don't take this the wrong way, but it almost seems as though you are really pushing the GN-U figures, and bashing the Revoltechs at every opportunity, yet the fan reaction very much favors the Revoltechs over the GN-Us.

Edited by GogDog

Graham can answer this best, but I do feel pre production shots never look as nice unless they are really close to the final production. My guess is that the joints and gaps will be much tighter.

And I do like the stylized revoltechs myself, especially the 21, but the feeling of cheap and soft plastic in my hands does not fit with mecha toys. And a further bias (as a customizer) painting details and weathering are way better on hard plastic toys.

Lastly, as much as Graham may not like the revoltechs, I do think they should get some more mention (not necessarily a cover shot, because remeber, the better Graham's relationship with Yamato, the better it is for all of us)

Harry

Meh, Graham's relationship with Yamato hasn't really been that beneficial to us at all. The latest toys, we heard about through regular channels, magazines, conventions, etc. It's not like the old days where Graham was able to bring us insider information.

Graham can answer this best, but I do feel pre production shots never look as nice unless they are really close to the final production. My guess is that the joints and gaps will be much tighter.

And I do like the stylized revoltechs myself, especially the 21, but the feeling of cheap and soft plastic in my hands does not fit with mecha toys. And a further bias (as a customizer) painting details and weathering are way better on hard plastic toys.

The Amiami site description of these GN-U toys have customizability as one of the 3 points. Parts are easy to take off and put on due to a shared internal frame it says.

These GN-U toys look pretty good to me. What's wrong with the YF-19?

Tightness of joints and parts is one thing I'd worry more about these toys than sculpt tho.

Edited by Vifam7

Meh, Graham's relationship with Yamato hasn't really been that beneficial to us at all. The latest toys, we heard about through regular channels, magazines, conventions, etc. It's not like the old days where Graham was able to bring us insider information.

Maybe. But he always stop the avalanche of speculations when it's necesary.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest pics of the GN-U Macross Plus action figures from the new July issue of Dengeki Hobby magazine, just out today (the magazine not the figures, that is).

Notice for the first time the photos of the internal frame (skeleton).

These are really cool figures and should be out within 2-3 weeks.

ABS construction and bigger than Revoltechs.

Graham

post-11-1211535579_thumb.jpg

That's better, action pose of the YF-19. Thanks for the pics G-Man.

I like the box format too. I love the clear stand!

The VF-11 still looks funny with such a huge ass gunpod and stationary pose. :p

ALSO, i don't think its been brought up before, but these don't include FP's do they.

Are we to get FP's at a later date?

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

The skeleton is certainly very impressive but I think it's also the main problem causing the non-dynamic poses: whereas the Revoltech’s are just independent joints that connect different pieces with each other, the GN-U's have a set common skeleton that gets restricted depending on the type of armour you put on it.

I'll still pick up the YF-21 though.

It's a trade off.

With the Revoltechs, you get a wider freedom of movement, at the expense of large, often exposed ball joints.

With the GN-U you get slighly less poseability, but no big ugly ball joints.

Same with cost, it's a trade off.

The Revys are cheaper, but are PVC, which some people (myself included), don't really like.

The GN-U are bigger and made mostly of ABS (with some POM), but are more expensive.

Both are good for what they are.

We should be happy that we have two different companies giving us different options.

Graham

We should be happy that we have two different companies giving us different options.

Very true, corporate competition is to the benefit of customers.

I can't speak for everybody, but these GN-U's lose part of their luster because I already have the transformable versions. Yes, I realize the sculpt and posability beat the older ones, but the fact remains that I still have a larger version already in my collection. However, I would be very tempted to open my wallet if Yamato used the GN-U line to release VF's that have never been released in toy form before, such as the VF-4, VF-9, VF-0D et al.

Both are good for what they are.

Graham

I almost agree 100%. I think it's great to see more Macross products made by more than just one company. It's really personal preference and for me, if I'm buying a non-transformable, I want the best articulation possible which is Kaiyodo's Revoltechs. I think I'll pass on the GN-U figures and go straight for the NEW 1/60 Scale VF-1. I want that Valkyrie, bad! :)

I almost agree 100%. I think it's great to see more Macross products made by more than just one company. It's really personal preference and for me, if I'm buying a non-transformable, I want the best articulation possible which is Kaiyodo's Revoltechs. I think I'll pass on the GN-U figures and go straight for the NEW 1/60 Scale VF-1. I want that Valkyrie, bad! :)

Well put, I agree.

I also agree with Graham that it's beneficial for us to have options, and this situation it's been beneficial indeed.

In this case, I choose dynamic poseability for a non-transforming valk. :p

Whatever money I have, I'm going to put it towards the 1/60 yf-21 and vf-1 and any upcoming Macross Zero product... hopefully the vf-0d.

I'm a huge fan of the Revoltech YF-21 because their over-exagerated proportions work well for that design, but I'm for bigger, solid plastic toys that can be airbrushed for details and weathering.

And those GNU seems tightened up pretty well, no?

I think I'll get the revy 21 (and I've already ordered 6 revy regults) and all the GNU's

Umm Hi.

I'm being a traitor from my side (in models), but I'm actually really really excited for this series, and I'll actually buy my first macross toy, the YF-21. It looks pretty sweet; and being from a modeler background, I'd rather have good posability but with accuracy; this fits the bill perfectly. TBH I prefer it much more than the Revo stuff... this actually looks like the line art, rather than a stylized version of the line art. You sold me on this one Graham. If I like it enough I might get that VF-11 too.

Umm Hi.

I'm being a traitor from my side (in models), but I'm actually really really excited for this series, and I'll actually buy my first macross toy, the YF-21. It looks pretty sweet; and being from a modeler background, I'd rather have good posability but with accuracy; this fits the bill perfectly. TBH I prefer it much more than the Revo stuff... this actually looks like the line art, rather than a stylized version of the line art. You sold me on this one Graham. If I like it enough I might get that VF-11 too.

LOL :) There is no brand/product loyalty or at least, there shouldn't be. Ideally, we should support what we think are the best products. That way, when some new company comes along with a better product, we recognize it as such. In the end, we the consumer win and not any one company. That's what I think.

If these sell well enough, a version with FAST packs later on is a possibility, as are other mecha from the Macross universe.

Graham

Will these future GN-U releases be in the same scale or will they be like the Revy's non-scale approximate same size?

If the internal frame is the same for all GN-U then guess the releases will be non-scale guess the answer is contained in the Japanese text from the magazine post.

If these sell well enough, a version with FAST packs later on is a possibility, as are other mecha from the Macross universe.

What about that zentradi power armor in macross plus? If you do that, it would be the type of toy people who aren't interested in non-transforming valkyrie toys would buy because this is something that I don't think is ever going to appear as a high end collectors item toy.

My reasons for why I think it's a good idea:

-The fact that it doesn't transform wouldn't worry anyone since it's power armor. Won't cut into savings for the transforming toys that yamato is making.

-The fact that it relates to macross plus might be reason to get it. (like how people want a ghost booster or character models)

-It's of something that hasn't been done before. (yamato made 1/72 macross plus valks already, then the 1/60 versions, now these non-transforming things. Fans like them and aren't ingrateful to be getting it, but they are getting jaded of seeing the same things)

-It gives the good guy action figures something to fight and would work well in a "VS battle "display. (see the pics of the revoltech 19 vs 21 for an example that adds to the appeal when people can display the toys doing something from the show)

Anyway that's what I'd like. I would also like to see a VF-1 so that the yf19 can have it in an arm lock as a hostage while it gets shot at. Maybe they can have paintball shots on the body to indicate that this is the macross plus vf-1 that got shot at from the anime not a "SDF:M" vf-1. :D Again adds to the appeal since nobody would buy something like that as a high end collector toys that costs lots of money. But as a cheap toy, they might consider a paintball paintscheme VF-1 because it reminds them of the anime.

..did I just say "Paintball paintscheme"?

Things they could do to keep with the plus theme:

rogue zentradi

roguezentpapg1.th.jpg

vf-1 hostage valk (plain)

zenthostageba1.th.jpg

vf-1 hostage valk (repaint)

zenthostagepaintedig6.th.jpg

zentradi power armor

zentpowerarmorje5.th.jpg

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Hey Graham, speaking of ''...other mecha from the Macross universe'', are you allowed to tell us what licenses Yamato holds for this line ? Since this is a totally different product line from their transforming toys I would guess they can get different licenses as well, I'm hoping we get some game exclusive valks as well as Zero/M7/Frontier figures as well.

Edited by Aegis!

You'll regret it.

It's nice, very nice.

A very accurate representation of the lineart, far so than the styleized Revy.

Graham

I saw the GNUs today. really nice. I'm totally turned off on the Revolting-techs. The waist on the 19 is ridiculously long. The poseability possibilities are also pretty impressive. (Isn't a Gnu also a kind of Wildebeest?)