Yamato GN-U Non-transforming Macross Action Figures

Graham

For a non-transformable mecha, the sculpt is average. The posability appears to be slightly above average, but nowhere near the Revoltechs. It's a good effort on Yamato's part, but I would've been more excited if we didn't already have transforming versions of these toys.

These are not supposed to compete with the high-end 1/60 variable toys, they are designed as affordable, fairly low price point toys, priced somewhere between HCM-Pros and Revoltechs.

Posability was never supposed to be on par with Revoltechs. You want that sort of posabilty you gotta have ugly exposed joints like the Revoltechs. Yamato wanted to avoid that. Personally, I can't stand the apperance of the shoulder ball joints on the Revoltech VF-1 series. They are too exposed and cause the toy's shoulders to sit far too high.

Graham

they look good but something about the torso and shoulders of the 19 looks off to me. and they really gotta get rid of those seam lines going down its hips and calfs. i like the the 11 and 21 tho. they look pretty posable too.

I think that 3000 JPY is fine (as long as the dollar does not plunge much more in the next few months!). I am still very excited about these. Especially the 21 and 11 which have great sculpts. Still not incredibly impressed with the 19 sculpt but will still get one.

Too bad they are not in scale.

I'd love a Q-Rau TV and Millia Red. a VF-1 Battroid in scale with the Q-Rau would kick ass.

Yeah it is a shame that scale goes out the window, but I'm hoping on some size difference between valks and again between enemy mecha. Surely they would do the Q-Rau and such, just from these boards the deman for destroids and enemy mecha seems huge. I can understand that making big 1/60 scale enemy mecha might be a bit expensive for Yamato to produce at the moment but at the GNU size it would be a good way to see how popular they will be.

I think I'm gonna pick up these little guys and forgo the 1/60 YF-19 and YF-21 (I know, blasphemy :p ) but my wallet will be alot happier and I think my love for the Mac+ valks is not as great as my love for the VF-1 and all its variants from SDF:M. Now if say Destroids and enemy mecha are made, I may have to buy those as well.

Here's some 'in-action' poses for you to enjoy.

Please bear in mind these are still the rapid prototype samples, not the finished production standard, which is why they appear quite rough.

Graham

Wow, they are rough... I hope they don't come less tame when they finally come out!

I like the yamato YF-21 sort of rounded sculpt better than the lanky sculpt of the revoltech. But I prefer the Revoltech YF-19 skinny sculpt better than the Yamato chunky sculpt! I guess that I am a hard customer to please but lucky for me (and the rest of us) we have several companies busting out!

I'm really trying hard to like the Yamato GN-U figures, but I'm less impressed with each new picture while in contrast I get more excited every time photos appear of Kaiyodo's latest.

The GN-U figures look like they have poor articulation, they have these huge canyons (that some would call seams) right down the center of every forward facing appendage and they have a truly uninspired sculpt with strange ideas of proportion. Dare I say "big hands! big hands!" :):lol:

Personally, I love that "anime" feel of the Kaiyodo Revoltech sculpts. They aren't the proportionally accurate CG models of the VF-25 or VF-171 Valkyries; instead they are the Kawamori line art version of the Valkyries, fat legs/small wings and all. If one were to take a cel from the SDF Macross anime of Hikaru's battle against the Quel-Quallie, it would look like the stylized VF-1J Revoltech. The articulation on the Revoltech figures is a dream and they can almost mimic any pose from the anime (but not quite). The detail is high for such small figures and no matter how much I pose them, the joints stay tight and firm. For me, the only downside of any Revoltech I've purchased is the few awkward, exposed ball joints. If there was an alternative product that gave the articulation, detail and tight joints of the Revoltech without the eye sore of the ball joint, I'd drop Kaiyodo in a heartbeat.

And quite frankly, if I'm buying a non-transforming toy of a Valkyrie, it had better have something going for it. It had best have at least noteworthy articulation (read: better than incremental) above and beyond the best transformable out there. Or fully articulated hands or have a glowing eye piece; something! The last thing I want is a non-transformable action figure version of a Valkyrie that lacks enough lateral ankle articulation to handle the classic "A" stance.

I truly hope I'm wrong and that all the problems I see with the GN-U figures are corrected for the production versions. If someone posts a glowing review of the GN-U figures that tells me...

"Mr March, all your fears about the GN-U figures are unjustified. The production version of the GN-U figures are an absolute win, the articulation - while no revoltech - is high, the seams are hardly noticeable, the detail is comparable and the sculpt is unstylized, but sharp and appealing. These GN-U figures are strong competitors for your action figure dollar"

...then I will be thrilled to purchase them. As it stands right now, these Yamato figures only virtue is a lack of eye sore shoulder joints. But if that's all they have, that's not nearly enough to beat Kaiyodo. I'll stick to purchasing the 1/60 scale Yamato toys and satisfy my action figure needs with Revoltechs.

Edited by Mr March

I've been watching this thread for a while and I was planning on getting all 3 of the Yamato figures, but like sithlord, I will probably only be picking up the VF-11. If the Kaiyodo 19 and 21 are priced anywhere near the same as their VF-1 figures they'll not only be cheaper, but also have a crapload of articulation for those dynamic poses, mutliple hands, and possibly fast pack armor.

I know they're prototypes but I think their potential is vastly overshadowed by the revoltech stuff.

My opinion is completely opposite. I think the GN-U sculpts and proportions look far better than the overy stylized Revoltech sculpts. Yamao gets my money this time.

Graham

I'm gonna have to agree with the Gman on this one. At first I was like, oh damn revoltech 19 and 21, but the more I look at em, the more I'm not that thrilled. The yammies may not pose as well (or they may, I dunno) but they look more accurate to me, and that goes a long way in which gets bought up. That being said, I now own the 1/60 19 (which is amazing) have the 21 on pre-order (which looks amazing) and will buy the 11 when it eventually comes to be. With these large scale versions already out, I may opt out of their smaller counterparts entirely.