DRYL remastered DVD release

the_foul_fowl

I'm glad I checked back in on this thread. A little late, but still....

Just fought my way through their sign-up process, etc. and put in an order for one of these. I figure if I start picking up more region 2 DVDs, I might as well have an account.

Think mine was like $93 shipped.

Mr. Reagan

You'll be happy with it I'm sure Cypher. It really is an awesome box set. The books have quite a bit of content in them. I wasn't expecting them to be so thick. The entire set is quite heavy you'll find.

In the past I was watching it on my computer before I got my DVD player. I noticed that the Philips DVD players usually have simple hacks to re-set the region code to whatever you want. I bought the cheapest one at Target and it worked great. However, I took it back because I want to get the up-converting one.

Enjoy the box set!

Oh I'm sure I will.

It appears this isn't the only set of its kind. Apparently, there was a mondo release in 2001 of Akira that I would have loved to own. And there's one out now for APPLESEED that I may go back and pick up.

I bought the Philips DVP5982, which upconverts to 1080p, plays DivX files, can be set to region-free and I can plug in my Archos PMP via USB and watch/listen to stuff from it.

The DYRL set will be my first other region set of DVDs that will test whether or not the region-free hack worked.

Mr. Reagan

Got the set today. Noice! Only got to watch a few minutes of the HD version but the region 2 discs apparently work just fine on my DVD player.

Mr. Reagan

Japanese region 2 discs rarely enforce region coding, I believe. Tbh, it's mostly just hollywood that even give a damn about the feature, I think? :unsure:

Japanese region 2 discs rarely enforce region coding, I believe. Tbh, it's mostly just hollywood that even give a damn about the feature, I think? :unsure:

I dunno, it may have more to do with his player in this particular example. I couldn't get it to play on my older Sony player for the reason of not being region 1. Also, scanning the DVD on my computer using AnyDVD it came back as a region 2 disc. Sony players are known for not being hackable without some hard-wired chip. Some of the newer lesser known branded DVD players out there may in fact be able to play most anything, or have very simple hacks you can do right from your remote control.

Cypher mentioned he has a Philips player which typically has a simple hack and are known to play almost every type of media.

Edited by sharky

I dunno, it may have more to do with his player in this particular example. I couldn't get it to play on my older Sony player for the reason of not being region 1. Also, scanning the DVD on my computer using AnyDVD it came back as a region 2 disc. Sony players are known for not being hackable without some hard-wired chip. Some of the newer lesser known branded DVD players out there may in fact be able to play most anything, or have very simple hacks you can do right from your remote control.

Cypher mentioned he has a Philips player which typically has a simple hack and are known to play almost every type of media.

Philips players are very easy to make region-free like most china-brand players, but it is still a low-end player. May or may not be enough for you.

If you want a higher-end dvd-player that's easy to make region-free, get the Oppo brand. A little pricey (avg of $170 and above), but it is one (if not the) best dvd-player right now.

I'm not sure where you got that idea, but Japanese R2-discs do require and enforce region-coding.

Depends on the maker of the disc in question, doesn't it? :unsure: Of course I realize i'm walking on thin ice here since I don't even own the disc in question...

EDIT: Also, realize I'm expressing what I mean very poorly. What I really meant is that a lot of discs (I think) released in Japan, are in fact Region 0. If the disc in question is indeed a R2, then of course it wont play in an untampered region 1 player.

Edited by VF-25 Messiah

In my experience it's DVDs released from CHINA, not Japan, that are usually region 0. And in most cases, they are incredibly well manufactured bootlegs. Otherwise China is normally region 6.

If you wanted to watch anything from Japan or the UK (region 2), you had to buy a pre-hacked DVD player or a brand that left the loophole in there if you just happened to find it. :ph34r:

I'm not going to argue the DVD player brands and features with anyone but, with 1080 upconverting and all the extra features , my $60 unit does exactly what I need. Including allowing me to watch my new DYRL 25th DVDs straight from the Land of the Rising Sun.

Mr. Reagan

I have a 5990 and another Philips DVD player hacked to be region free, and while not the greatest, for $50-60 it's hard to beat for what it does.

Back to the topic at hand though, I got my DYRL memorial box with Frontier BD2, and while kind of pricey OMG is it elegant. I'm seriously having a hard time with whether or not to get the SDFM polka dot box, just to complete my 25th anniversary collection.

the easiest way IIRC is to get a player from a european market that is already region free. last time I was in Denmark, most all of the DVD players for sale were clearly marked on the box specifications as being both multi-region and multi-standard capable. no hacks required - and this included the sony units.

Edited by Shaka_Z

• 2 years later...

Would anyone happen to have the re-timed subtitles, for the HD Remaster, that they wouldn't mind uploading or sharing? The SRT file I had managed to get corrupt somehow and now I'm without. Google hasn't been of much help. Thanks.

Would anyone happen to have the re-timed subtitles, for the HD Remaster, that they wouldn't mind uploading or sharing? The SRT file I had managed to get corrupt somehow and now I'm without. Google hasn't been of much help. Thanks.

Boinger's Macross Share site is the closest to the HD Remaster with subs you'll get, he even used it for my dub project. You'll have to go look him up over at the Fan Works area of the forums to find the film.

3 years later and still no word on a BD release.

*shaking my farting head*

Oh it'll happen, theres absolutely no doubt in my mind. And the timing hasnt been right yet. The bluray release of Wings of Farewell will come first and Im sure DYRL will be high on the release list after that. Japanese fans are still riding the Frontier wave right now.

Oh it'll happen, theres absolutely no doubt in my mind. And the timing hasnt been right yet. The bluray release of Wings of Farewell will come first and Im sure DYRL will be high on the release list after that. Japanese fans are still riding the Frontier wave right now.

I wouldn't be surprised if they begin releasing all the remastered "classic Macross" animes on Blu-Ray next year for the 30 years of Macross actually. This would seem fitting.

-Sergorn

• 5 months later...

What is the concensus right now? What is the best DYRL DVD release?

I have both and I think it's the newer HD Remaster that is better. It doesn't look as vibrant as the Remastered Macross 7 series (which looks amazing, almost as if you were looking at the cels themselves), but it's much better than the old release in my opinion, as I picked out many details I never noticed before.

Maybe I should be more straightforward with my intentions... I want to buy a bunch of em to give to friends. Most friends are NOT the whole 'splice fansubs in digital file watcher' kind of people. I just want to give these things out and I need em to work in US DVD players.

I don't see where my reply was in anyway unclear or difficult to understand, but let's try it this way:

All official DYRL dvd editions (both remastered and not-remastered) are only playable by Region-2 dvd-players.

The only dvd that will play on US-players are bootlegs of the fansubs.

Ok. Not much has changed in the last few years since I bought my Fx dvd... Is there a better bootleg?

If you want to get the HD version to work on a DVD, you'll need to to bittorrent it on your computer with the subs, then use some software to put it all together, so that it plays on your DVD. It can be done, seems like you just need some research, and to download the proper bittorrent and freeware.

MK VII & MK II ready for action! Already order 2 more MK VII kits for custom paint schemes.

I'm waiting for a Blu-ray, high definition edition of Clash of the Bionoids, myself... :rolleyes:

So again, what DVD can I purchase for money that won't look like I made it in my basement so I can give to my friends?

I bolded the important parts.

uhhm, how exactly do you think bootlegs are made of???

that said, you can prolly get better macross-art on your own to silkscreen your own "basement-dvd". better quality translations, too.

unless, of course, you and your friends are so much into spending/buying hk-engrish bootlegs...

:p

I may be wrong, but can you just get legit copies, rip one for each copy you buy, find a subtitle track, and recombine them into a digital track to go alongside the original copy?

I'm not talking about buying one legit DVD and making multiple copies. I mean buying one legit for each digital copy you're going to make.

I've been playing around with doing this in the last few weeks. It's not hard to rip and re-encode into a matroska file. That's all I could figure out how to do with freeware programs, though. It works just fine if you have a good player or WMP with the K-Lite codec pack.