DRYL remastered DVD release

the_foul_fowl

Not too familiar with either DVD or filtering are you? There's more to the new disc than contrast and grain. The G_P is definitely the new DVD. The color balance, presence of the corrected Max and Roy dValkyrie shots, and Bodolza glitch are all proof of that. They simple filtered the grain out.

The raw is indeed horrible.

Bakawolf released a copy. Haven't checked it yet. Animesuki finally re-added it to its list as well, years after I protested its removal.

Actually, no. I'm not too familiar with changing the original DVD source for an AVI. I am familiar with DVD, though.

The G_P file has WAY too high contrast. Why do that when it would ruin the video? Almost none of the new detail present on the DVD (I've seen screen shots) in the shadows is present in this file. The light areas are also without any detail.

Well, the result is a pretty nice subbed (nice karaoke and subtitle effects that cannot be used for a DVD script) version with rather ordinary-looking video (encoding is not optimal here).

So if you just want to see the movie, do get it. It's soft subbed + hard subbed (japanese romanized at the top when Minmay sings).

It's an amazing movie.

Sad that it's not going to be released anywhere on DVD but in Japan any time soon.

ericf

Actually, no. I'm not too familiar with changing the original DVD source for an AVI. I am familiar with DVD, though.

The G_P file has WAY too high contrast. Why do that when it would ruin the video? Almost none of the new detail present on the DVD (I've seen screen shots) in the shadows is present in this file. The light areas are also without any detail.

Well, the result is a pretty nice subbed (nice karaoke and subtitle effects that cannot be used for a DVD script) version with rather ordinary-looking video (encoding is not optimal here).

ericf

Are we talking the same encode here? The QR RAW was the one with the overblown contrast. I have seen both the G_P v1 and v2 and the DVD itself is on my HDD, and the detail and contrast is exactly the same, and they did a good job of cleaning up the grain. The h.264 codec does an awesome job of compressing it as well, so I have no clue why you claim it's "not optimal" My only conclusion is that you're either talking about a different encode, or your video setting are seriously out of whack (seeing as you are using two different mediums for comparison)

I asked about your familiarity with the DVDs as you claimed the G_P was a retouch of the old disc when this is absolutely impossible.

Here are screen shots that prove that the only difference is grain and hardsubbed karaoke. If I still had the B-G, I'd show how smeared it looks. Captured using MPC.

MisaForever, I see you've discovered the joy of softsubs. :lol:

snapshot20080118165040.bmp

snapshot20080118165648.bmp

snapshot20080118165123.bmp

snapshot20080118165734.bmp

snapshot20080118165151.bmp

snapshot20080118170011.bmp

snapshot20080118165159.bmp

snapshot20080118170159.bmp

Are we talking the same encode here? The QR RAW was the one with the overblown contrast. I have seen both the G_P v1 and v2 and the DVD itself is on my HDD, and the detail and contrast is exactly the same, and they did a good job of cleaning up the grain. The h.264 codec does an awesome job of compressing it as well, so I have no clue why you claim it's "not optimal" My only conclusion is that you're either talking about a different encode, or your video setting are seriously out of whack (seeing as you are using two different mediums for comparison)

I asked about your familiarity with the DVDs as you claimed the G_P was a retouch of the old disc when this is absolutely impossible.

Here are screen shots that prove that the only difference is grain and hardsubbed karaoke. If I still had the B-G, I'd show how smeared it looks. Captured using MPC.

MisaForever, I see you've discovered the joy of softsubs. :lol:

Yes. I have the same encode. Probably V1.

G_P info from MediaInfo:

Complete name : D:\(G_P) Macross - Do You Remember Love(x264)(C6F4E95F).mkv

Format : Matroska

File size : 1.57 GiB

PlayTime : 1h 55mn

Bit rate : 1952 Kbps

Movie name : Super Dimension Fortress Macross - Do You Remember Love?

Encoded date : UTC 2007-12-30 13:40:32

Writing application : mkvmerge v2.1.0 ('Another Place To Fall') built on Aug 19 2007 13:40:07

Writing library : libebml v0.7.7 + libmatroska v0.8.1

Cover : BELWEC.ttf / CUSHNGH.TTF / CUSHNGHI.TTF / DOMB.TTF / Essai.ttf / manjiro.ttf / spacg___.ttf / spacgi__.ttf

And if you found these particular scenes that are only in the Remaster, then it is the remaster.

I have the Perfect Edition from earlier on DVD. That's the one with blacks with little detail (and not really black). I was comparing with that. There are snapshots of that at animeondvd too.

Did you watch the last part? The concert footage? It's so blown out that it's extremely hard to watch for me. The Perfect Edition end looks much better to me.

As for the file encoding not being optimal, check between 13,08 and 17,27. The dark scene with Hikaru and Minmay. LOTS of compression artefacts and blocking. I am rather picky, I guess.

ericf

EDIT: Looking at your snapshots, most of the detail seem to be there in the mkv. The dark scenes seem to get a green tint, though (see files with Minmay: snapshot20080118165159 = DVD snapshot20080118170159 = mkv). And I can see very obvious blocking in snapshot20080118170159. It's there in most encodes but those from HD sources. And even in those when not encoded with enough bits. Anything above 80 minutes with 720p needs more than 4.3 GB to eliminate this kind of blocking. At least that's my opinion. Then again, if it's not HD people might not download such a big file...

Thanks for the snapshots.

Edited by ericf

Well, these aren't HD, and they do have to balance quality and filesize. 4.3 gigs for 80mins is ridiculous in this day and age. 1.5 or so is the norm for two hours. H.264 handles it splendidly. Compare to NLA's xvid encode for artifacting differences.

As for comparison, you made it seem like you were comparing G_P to the remaster, not to the original. I don't see the point in comparing an encode to a different DVD and holding it against it. At least, I think that's what you said... &_&

The concert footage is unremastered. Naturally the better encoding of the new DVD makes this more obvious.

If that's obvious blocking, the Key DVDs must be an absolute nightmare for you then. I know they are for me. ^_^ The only defect there I can see is the horrid EE, which is the DVD's fault. Though maybe I'm not looking hard enough. U'm not seeing a tint either, but oh well.

I assure you, G_P is the remaster. Glad the pics helped.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

Okay. I am a bit finicky when it comes to quality. It's going to be interesting to find out how well I can take the excessive grain of the DVD. Lots of grain does hurt my eyes.

I usually have very little to comment on the Live Action 1,4 GB encodes (other than that some are a bit too soft) but anime compresses quite differently than Live Action. Flat surfaces don't really exist in L A and they are plentiful in anime. Not easy to encode.

I thought it was an encode of the original DVD because of a number of things, but since you pointed out things I didn't really know that were present on the rip, I realized you must be right.

About the concert footage. It was unremastered on the Perfect Edition as well. I just don't remember it looking this bad.

Key DVDs? As in Geneon's Key, the Metal Idol? I had them once but didn't like the show enough to keep them. At that time I didn't have a flatscreen computer screen and I only had a normal 28" CRT TV. Didn't see the problems as easily as now (though I did see them since most of the old DVDs were low quality).

I have a 42" plasma TV now. But I'm using the flatscreen monitor to check for quality.

ericf

Ok, I guess after reading all of this, I'm still a little confused. Which version is the best regarding picture quality? I have the Remastered Matroska version and it looks wonderful but is that the best out there so far? I would really love a nice remastered subtitled version. ^_^

I don't know if V2 of the G_P actually adds anything. Might be a subtitle change.

So this is probably as good as it will get in re-encoded video.

I'm wondering if anyone has a transcription of the japanese lyrics to the version of Cinderella that Minmay is singing in the movie.

There seems to be an english transltion but since the text doesn't conform with the lyrics of the song from the OST, there are a few lines that need japanese words:

This is from Hurin's script:

00:51:00,033 --> 00:51:07,100

When the bell tolls at the midnight hour...

00:51:07,100 --> 00:51:14,266

...the magic will disappear.

kushigina mahou tokete shinaruno????

00:51:14,766 --> 00:51:21,333

At the top of the stairs...

?yubikiru youni kag(t)e onita???

00:51:23,033 --> 00:51:29,966

...is a pair of glass slippers.

?????ainai ???noe GARASE no kuzu???

00:51:30,533 --> 00:51:39,266

Like Cinderella's love affair...

00:51:39,266 --> 00:51:46,266

...mine's all controlled by the clock.

00:51:46,633 --> 00:51:54,233

Everything that can tell the time...

00:51:54,866 --> 00:51:58,533

Please stop...

00:51:58,700 --> 00:52:02,633

...until day breaks.

00:52:02,633 --> 00:52:05,833

Please stop...

00:52:07,166 --> 00:52:14,666

...until day breaks.

This is from the G_P script. They left out a few lines:

Dialogue: 0,0:51:31.93,0:51:39.00,romaji japanese,,0000,0000,0000,,gozen reizino kanega nareba

580-582: Can't really hear what she sings.

Dialogue: 0,0:52:02.13,0:52:10.46,romaji japanese,,0000,0000,0000,,marude Shindurera no koi

Dialogue: 0,0:52:10.46,0:52:18.16,romaji japanese,,0000,0000,0000,,tokei chikakede

Dialogue: 0,0:52:18.53,0:52:26.13,romaji japanese,,0000,0000,0000,,tokiwo kizamu subete no mono

Dialogue: 0,0:52:26.76,0:52:30.43,romaji japanese,,0000,0000,0000,,tomatte ite

Dialogue: 0,0:52:30.60,0:52:34.53,romaji japanese,,0000,0000,0000,,yoakegakurumade

Dialogue: 0,0:52:34.53,0:52:37.73,romaji japanese,,0000,0000,0000,,tomatte ite

ialogue: 0,0:52:39.06,0:52:46.56,romaji japanese,,0000,0000,0000,,yoakegakurumade

I realize that the japanese of those three lines doesn't seem to correspond very well in meaning to the english but it's sort of what she sings.

Can anyone help?

Here's a link to the english lyrics of the full song:

http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/3009/macross.htm#CINDERELLA

I went through all songs and places where there might be sub collisions. I'm having trouble seeing the lyrics for Ai - oboeteimasu ka because I always cry when hearing it. I'm not sure why but it's connected with the images in the movie and the feeling of complete relief.

Thanks.

ericf

Edited by ericf

They released a new version? I wonder if my comments at Boxtorrents played any part in it. They do announce it there.

Sorry 'new' just meaning 'new for me'. I had the NLA DYRL and decided one day that "evirus" was pissing me off. I didn't make that clear in the original post.

"v2" is the one I have:

http://grayphantom.edwardk.info/index.php

So is there going to be a hq release of mac + movie?

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Okay. I am a bit finicky when it comes to quality. It's going to be interesting to find out how well I can take the excessive grain of the DVD. Lots of grain does hurt my eyes.

As am I, we just have different standards or peeves.

About the concert footage. It was unremastered on the Perfect Edition as well. I just don't remember it looking this bad.

Well, you don't have a remastered, better encoded version right before it, and it has been awhile between releases.

Key DVDs? As in Geneon's Key, the Metal Idol? I had them once but didn't like the show enough to keep them. At that time I didn't have a flatscreen computer screen and I only had a normal 28" CRT TV. Didn't see the problems as easily as now (though I did see them since most of the old DVDs were low quality).

I have a 42" plasma TV now. But I'm using the flatscreen monitor to check for quality.

Actually Viz released them. Overloaded each disc and it looks like crap. I've been trying to track down the VHS release, it looks so bad. It's a great series.

MF, while not perfect, the G_P version 2 is probably the best. Actually LowVis Lurker, I had no idea of the v2 until you mentioned it. The v1 had "Evirus". It's a sub correction, Ericf

MF, while not perfect, the G_P version 2 is probably the best. Actually LowVis Lurker, I had no idea of the v2 until you mentioned it. The v1 had "Evirus". It's a sub correction, Ericf

Okay. My version says EBIRUSU, I guess it should say EBIRU SUREIYAA.

Thanks.

ericf

As am I, we just have different standards or peeves.

Well, you don't have a remastered, better encoded version right before it, and it has been awhile between releases.

Actually Viz released them. Overloaded each disc and it looks like crap. I've been trying to track down the VHS release, it looks so bad. It's a great series.

Ah, ok. I'm not sure which version I have but it is the G_P one. Thanks :)

I think they were focused on getting the english right. It still has the "Britai to Macross" error regardless (only NLA got that right)

MF, the new version would have a "v2" at the end of the filename. The Shao Pai Lon subs would be correct in it.

I think they were focused on getting the english right. It still has the "Britai to Macross" error regardless (only NLA got that right)

MF, the new version would have a "v2" at the end of the filename. The Shao Pai Lon subs would be correct in it.

Oh!!! Ok, I gotcha now. Thanks :D

Does anyone know where the Limited Box set is still available? I got screwed by Play Asia who says its no longer in stock and I cannot order it again. I checked the amazon japan and cdjapan links but they seem to be out.

TIA

Amazon JP and US still have them from 3rd party seller. But you may want to wait a bit since their asking price is egregious. :angry:

How about standalone (HD re-master) version? I know all people recommending limited box set. I am probably the only one ordering standalone. But I think it is the one that we fans are craving for. Theatrical release and extra stuffs are nice but in my mind they don’t stand up to the re-master disk.

Amazon JP has standalone version in stock and they offer discount. They only ships via Fedex Express though.

Edited by Super Ostrich

Amazon JP and US still have them from 3rd party seller. But you may want to wait a bit since their asking price is egregious. :angry:

How about standalone (HD re-master) version? I know all people recommending limited box set. I am probably the only one ordering standalone. But I think it is the one that we fans are craving for. Theatrical release and extra stuffs are nice but in my mind they don’t stand up to the re-master disk.

Amazon JP has standalone version in stock and they offer discount. They only ships via Fedex Express though.

Thanks for the info Super O. I really wanted that box set though, but wow, amazon US is pricey

I just came across this web site (http://www.veoh.com/) where someone has posted HD re-mastered version of DYRL. I know its source is from HD version because of its credit scene. The interesting thing about this video post is that it has English subtitle. More interesting thing is that its subtitle has the exactly the same mistakes as Hurin as pointed out from this post this post,a few years ago. It makes me wonder all DYRL video with English subtitle are using the work from Hurin? :blink: :blink:

There are just 2 of many mistakes in English subtitle I notice:

1. Hikaru calls Roy Senpai, not Commanderor Major.

2. During the scene of fake dinner on the ruins of ancient alien city, Misa calls Hikaru Ichijō-kun, not Ichijō.

Hi, this might not be fully apropriate for a first post, but if anyone here have the G_P v2 version of the movie and kind enough to seed it I would be grateful. I'm currently stuck at 92.9% completed and since I got internet only during weekends, I would really appreciate it if somebody seed it for us (there's several other people also stuck there), during the weekends if possible. There's 1 seed visible but he/she does not seem to be transmitting anything. I tried the G_P IRC room but I can't seem to connect there.

Thank you very much if you are willing to help, and I will also frequent this site from now on (I am also a huge Macross fan)

Hi, this might not be fully apropriate for a first post, but if anyone here have the G_P v2 version of the movie and kind enough to seed it I would be grateful. I'm currently stuck at 92.9% completed

I recall having difficulties with this particular file, there were like 10+ leechers, my upload bandwidth was almost maxed out while downloading at a mere 1kb/s, probably due to people having multiple downloads at once or slow connections. I will help but please do your part, do not finish the transfer once it reaches 100%, continue seeding until you get a share ratio of at least 1 (preferably more).

Edited by Strife

I will help but I can only upload at around 25kB a second. Lucky I have it still on my HD so I don't have to go looking for it amongst all the other stuff I burnt.

I will also go into GP chatroom to ask others to help seed too. (since I'm in there now) There were about 3 seeds last time I checked.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I'm just making a post stating that making a subtitled DVD version of the Remastered movie can be problematic.

EDIT: Only if you use DVDdecryter to demux the DVD will you get the correct chapters.

Then you can use ifoedit to update with the menu information. If you don't use DVDdecryter you're in for trouble because of a layer break in the ifo.

ericf

Edited by ericf

For the record, Tobi helped me work out the issues with the mkv, the problem now is one of frame rate. Things are a bit herky jerk when the camera pans. Not quite sure how to fix that issue yet.

Edited by Duke Togo

If you're trying to turn the mkv into a DVD, the problems you're having are partly because this is a terrible idea. Taking an efficient AVC file and converting it to sloppy Mpeg2 just isn't worth the headache for the loss in quality it's going to have (compression atop compression atop compression is never a good thing).

Panning trouble? Sounds like a frame rate issue alright. The film is about 24 fps. It's possible whatever you're using is trying to put it at the video rate of 30 fps. Thats' what happened for one Gunbuster fansub, an it destroyed the pans. Encode at 24, and it should be fine.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

I just came across this web site (http://www.veoh.com/) where someone has posted HD re-mastered version of DYRL. I know its source is from HD version because of its credit scene. The interesting thing about this video post is that it has English subtitle. More interesting thing is that its subtitle has the exactly the same mistakes as Hurin as pointed out from this post this post,a few years ago. It makes me wonder all DYRL video with English subtitle are using the work from Hurin? :blink: :blink:

There are just 2 of many mistakes in English subtitle I notice:

1. Hikaru calls Roy Senpai, not Commanderor Major.

2. During the scene of fake dinner on the ruins of ancient alien city, Misa calls Hikaru Ichijō-kun, not Ichijō.

So if anyone is wondering why I haven't bothered to do anything with the subtitles myself. . . it's because of several reports like this. It looks like there are a lot of people out there who aren't bothered by copyright law who are already subtitling it and releasing it in complete form. My subtitle work was always just that. . . just subtitles. . . and it was up to you to graft them onto your DVD (with no video quality loss) via the instructions I provided.

Some day, I might still get around to screwing around with the subtitles in the same way I did in the past. . . but at this point, there doesn't seem to be a need.

It looks like there are a lot of people out there who aren't bothered by copyright law who are already subtitling it and releasing it in complete form.

I'd like to buy this in the US, I really would. Just not an option for any of us here, hell, anyone outside of Japan.