Curently Watching SDF Macross TV Series

misterryno

Just finished "bye bye mars" and "longest birthday". Both great episodes. Never realized Max became an ace in one day! On his first combat mission even. Hikaru kicked ass on "bye bye mars". I saw all those battle pods around him, waiting for skull 1 or others to support him, but turns out he destroys them all on his own(awesome sequence with the VF-1J turning and firing at the pods with the head lasers in different directions per angle).

Yeah....Max is REEEEEAAAALLLLLLLLLYYYY BAD A** in that episode. Actually....he's pretty much totally awesome (excuse the 80's lingo) in every episode from then on.

Actually....he's pretty much totally awesome (excuse the 80's lingo) in every episode from then on.

As they'd say in the 80's, Max is "rad."

Best dub imho was Clash of the Bionoids lol. Of course the lines sucked, everyone sounded like their characters. But that's just my opinion.

Clash of the bionoids Roy FTW :p

I agree, the HK Macross dub was far superior to Robotech, even with lines like "NOW WATCH JET JOCKEY!"

Just finished "Miss Macross" and "Blind Game". Hikaru definitely gets better as the series progresses. I thought he was going to hold back and after the recon ship destroyed his GPB armor, but no, instead he shoots his way into the ship! Bad ass. Awesome episode. Seeing Kakizaki get owned is hilarious. I like how Hikaru counters Misa. I also thought it was hilarious that Max threw Breetai into outer space! Too bad Britai caught onto a ledge and held on.

Just finished "Miss Macross" and "Blind Game". Hikaru definitely gets better as the series progresses. I thought he was going to hold back and after the recon ship destroyed his GPB armor, but no, instead he shoots his way into the ship! Bad ass. Awesome episode. Seeing Kakizaki get owned is hilarious. I like how Hikaru counters Misa. I also thought it was hilarious that Max threw Breetai into outer space! Too bad Britai caught onto a ledge and held on.

It's really funny when max is disguised as an Zentradi Troop and all the Zentradi are dumb enough to just walk by a Valk. covered in clothing. LOL :lol:

It's really funny when max is disguised as an Zentradi Troop and all the Zentradi are dumb enough to just walk by a Valk. covered in clothing. LOL :lol:

It's easily explainable:

1) troops don't look each other in the eye and stare at the floor (saves them from any abuse from the officer class, etc.)

2) it's entirely unexpected and not anticipated. How could a weaker foe not only get inside of their ship, let alone walk around in it in their own uniforms? Max was presumed to have been blown out into space, and obviously Zentraedi ship sensors are not fine enough to have detected his VF either floating outside or having climbed back into the ship.

Either way, it says a lot about the Zentraedi, their supperiority believes, and their technical limitations.

It's easily explainable:

1) troops don't look each other in the eye and stare at the floor (saves them from any abuse from the officer class, etc.)

2) it's entirely unexpected and not anticipated. How could a weaker foe not only get inside of their ship, let alone walk around in it in their own uniforms? Max was presumed to have been blown out into space, and obviously Zentraedi ship sensors are not fine enough to have detected his VF either floating outside or having climbed back into the ship.

Either way, it says a lot about the Zentraedi, their supperiority believes, and their technical limitations.

Damn...... :blink: .......you really put that into perspective for me..... :huh: ......THANKS ^_^

Forgot to mention, Kamjin is actually a likeable character. What an ass. :p It was funny how we got the guy that was about to be decommissioned to inadvertently fire at the SDF-1 due to him being a horrible shot. Kamjin has comedy relief and the fact that he seems more willing to risk danger to accomplish a task.

Also, it was awesome how Hikaru managed to hold his own when facing Kamjin and fought to a draw(both lost their mecha's left arms).

It was funny seeing the Zentraedi trio(the spies) argue over what the Miss Macross contest was about and eventually get into a fist fight.

It was funny seeing the Zentraedi trio(the spies) argue over what the Miss Macross contest was about and eventually get into a fist fight.

Yeah those guys are totally wacky :lol:

Lucky for him Misa shot him down, otherwise Milia would have owned him!

Except Milia shot him down, and she did own him. :rolleyes:

Misa shot his wing with a missile, but she couldn't take a bruthah down. It took a Zent chick to do that. <_<

The closing credits preview narrator tells me so. :D

Nope, Misa shot Hikaru down before Milia even appeared, that's why Hikaru was in the hospital watching Max & Milia going at it through the window.

And in the grand scheme of things, maybe that's why their relationship lasted so long. Almost any fight can be derailed with "remember that time you shot me down.." :)

Edited by Keith

And in the grand scheme of things, maybe that's why their relationship lasted so long. Almost any fight can be derailed with "remember that time you shot me down.." :)

Or, if Misa is anything like my last girlfriend (which in fact she is a little bit):-

"Listen Buster, just remember that I'm the one that shot you down."

Karl

I grew up with Robotech too, but it died ever since I saw the original. Nothing beats the original.

I grew up watching Robotech too The Macross Saga was my favourite. After watching Super Dimension Fortress Macross I can see why Carl Macek changed the storyline, trimmed down the violence and the profanity. Do not get me wrong I love Macross but if a cartoon was going to air in North America in the eighties, Macross would not have aired at all. Instead we got the horrible Robotech version.

Recently after watching Super Dimension Fortress Macross with scenes that were cut in Robotech. It had profanity and mature themes and awesome action for a anime cartoon from the eighties. I do not regent buying Super Dimension Fortress Macross DVD Set.

Edited by Thompson134

I grew up watching Robotech too The Macross Saga was my favourite. After watching Super Dimension Fortress Macross I can see why Carl Macek changed the storyline, trimmed down the violence and the profanity. Do not get me wrong I love Macross but if a cartoon was going to air in North America in the eighties, Macross would not have aired at all. Instead we got the horrible Robotech version.

Recently after watching Super Dimension Fortress Macross with scenes that were cut in Robotech. It had profanity and mature themes and awesome action for a anime cartoon from the eighties. I do not regent buying Super Dimension Fortress Macross DVD Set.

There's a difference between trimming for content, and dumbng down for an audience. It wasn't just blood & nudity that was cut out, it was all believability that the show had. Every technical explanation was replaced with "robotech/protoculture," the music was attrocious, and there was pointless exposition out the wazoo.

Just finished Kung Fu Dandy. Kaifun is an ass. I hate that guy. What a prick. Milia shot at Hikaru right after Misa mistakenly shot him down. She's all about getting a kill huh? She was annoyed that Hikaru was following her Qrau. He was going to crash anyways but Milia just added insult to injury. It was awesome seeing Hikaru take the initiative to hunt down Milia, albeit being unsuccessful.

Oh, and I want a fanliner toy, thats one beautiful bird.

Nope, Misa shot Hikaru down before Milia even appeared, that's why Hikaru was in the hospital watching Max & Milia going at it through the window.

Nope. Hikaru was chasing after Milia (Ep.16 - 20:00-forward) before Misa ever got the order to launch the Daedalus Attack (20:30). Misa fires off the missiles (21:20), one of which hits Hikaru in the wing, and he screams in a close-up, "I'm hit!" (21:35).

Then we're given a very brief scene (about 3 seconds total: 21:37-21:40) with a wide angle view of the bow of the Daedalus and the aerial battle going on outside, which shows Milia's Q-Rau zipping about. Hikaru's Valk flies into view, trailing smoke and losing altitude for sure, but still certainly moving forward in a stable manner (21:37). That's when Milia shoots him with her Q-Rau and his plane finally blows up (21:38). It is then that we see a parachute pop and begin to descend (21:39). Lastly, we see his chute and body floating in the water (23:07-23:19).

So Misa shot him up. But Milia shot him down. B))

Milia shot at Hikaru right after Misa mistakenly shot him down. She's all about getting a kill huh? She was annoyed that Hikaru was following her Qrau. [...] It was awesome seeing Hikaru take the initiative to hunt down Milia, albeit being unsuccessful.

Exactly. Apparently, Hikaru was actually able to give her a run for her money while in pursuit. The chase went on for more than a minute. It seems that Max wasn't the only one who could at least pose a bit of a challenge to her. So as soon as Hikaru was disabled by Misa's missiles, Milia lit into him and took his plane out.

He was going to crash anyways but Milia just added insult to injury.

I think that that is a bit of a presumption on y'all's parts. We don't know that Hikaru was going to crash after the single missile strike. His plane is clearly shown still flying, or at least gliding, forward. That means that it still had positive aerodynamic lift and directional stability. It was losing altitude, but it was coming down in a controlled manner. It might have been able to hover in for a landing somewhere. There was no indication that Hikaru was planning to bail out. That makes me doubt that he was going to crash anyway.

(Realistically, yeah, if you take a missile to a wing, your ass is grass. His wing should've gone completely bye-bye. There's no way he'd've been able to maintain stability like that with such a rapid loss of lift on one side of his plane. But Misa's missile only made a small puncture hole in his wing, rather than removing it. This conveniently set Hikaru up for Milia to take the shot, and the real blame. :rolleyes: )

Milia did more than just insult Hikaru. She actually hit him in vital enough of an area to make his VF explode. That ended its flying stability--hell, it ended his entire freaking plane!--which is what actually finally shot him down and made him eject.

At least, that's my take. :unsure:

I think Roy knew there was nothing that could be done - and he just wanted to die with his guitar and his woman in the kitchen, rather than in a hospital.

Or maybe he was indeed shocked and didn't even "notice" the wounds?

In any case - good question.

VFTF1

Was that a SNL sketch? I think I remember that. It was very funny!

Yeh, SNL. My favorite was when he went to a party and the peoples dog was chewing on the skin coming off of his scalp and he kept saying "Your dog must smell mine"

Great stuff!

I think Roy knew there was nothing that could be done - and he just wanted to die with his guitar and his woman in the kitchen, rather than in a hospital.

Or maybe he was indeed shocked and didn't even "notice" the wounds?

In any case - good question.

VFTF1

I think it was the former.

i definatly think that he knew that there was nothing that could be done and that he just wanted to spend his last moments with the woman he loved and not in the hospital.

he knew that he was in bad shape.

That seems a good and logical explanation to me.

sorry if this has been posted before

I just noticed something for the first time. I was watching SDFM episode 7 "Bye-Bye Mars" when at 5:28 some writing appeared on a screen on the bridge. I paused it, and I found a wierd blurb about mice floating, and a ISBN number. so I did a little snooping and I found that it was for a book called "If mice could fly" by John Cameron. :blink:

pretty wierd, huh? :lol: anyone read this book before?

sorry if this has been posted before

I just noticed something for the first time. I was watching SDFM episode 7 "Bye-Bye Mars" when at 5:28 some writing appeared on a screen on the bridge. I paused it, and I found a wierd blurb about mice floating, and a ISBN number. so I did a little snooping and I found that it was for a book called "If mice could fly" by John Cameron. :blink:

pretty wierd, huh? :lol: anyone read this book before?

Wow that is strange. :wacko:

I like both equally. I grew up with robotech. It got me in to anime. I knew it was a compilation of 3 japanese series but back then it wasn't exactly the easiest thing to find english subtitled versions of the originals so my adulthood has been a nice rebirth in to the original macross and southern cross and mospeada shows, which are cooler than the robotech versions but robotech is sentimental. I even picked up SD: Orguss on the way so I owe homage to Robotech ;)

i grew up on robotech, speed racer and voltron (along with some other dubbed anime in the 80's). i even watched it again on cartoon network i the 90's (the didn't show mospeada 'cause of the fact that one guy dresses up as a girl). but my friend also showed my his dyrl vhs and tellin me what rick's real name was. i bought akira, ninja scroll and ghost in the shell later on and i would watch them dubbed. but after seein' crouching tiger hidden dragon in the theater, i found out that i can watch subs (i read all of the subs of the movie while my friends gave up). so i went back and watched ninja scroll and ghost in the shell subbed. damn, i was surprised, they rewrote entire scenes, the japanese version was alot better (kagero's attitude in ninja scroll is better potrayed in the original dub.) no comment on ghost in the shell 'cause they did ALOT OF UNNECESSARY REWRITIN'. akira was pretty much left intact in the dub (but i have the dub with the new voice actors and not the ninja turtles voices found in the original dub.)

i finally found sdf macross on torrent and i watched the series over. robotech's endin' suxs, they killed off everybody at the end. i was shocked when i found out that the macross was not destroyed in the original version. i have no reason to go back and relive my childhood. now if i could only find hyakujuu-ou golion (voltron) and mach go go go (speed racer) on torrent or even import dvd (i didn't get a region free dvd player for nothin').

to each his own tho', it would be borin' if everybody was like me.

I am Shin, Kieth is another guy here. You're showing your age obviously, because you are so sensitive to the truth.

Macross 7 did not depend on us. Macross Plus did not depend on us. Macross II did not depend on us. Macross Zero did not depend on us. Macross F will not depend on us. There isn't even a guaranteed go ahead for domestic Macross F merchandise here and yet Macross F is still being made. Regardless if we watch or not, it will still be made. Do you honestly think a company or companies would pour in several thousands of dollars into making merchandise for an audience that they cannot legally cater to? Its what we call a waste of money. There is no doubt Yamato wants to sell us stuff domestically, it would be cheaper and easier for everyone and a whole lot easier to get replacement parts. Again they cannot due to the legal hold ups between Big West and Harmony Gold. Big West did not send the cease and desist letters, that was Harmony Gold. Had Harmony Gold not confronted Toycom on one fateful day at SDCC years back, we might have gotten Macross toys domestically from Yamato. It was Harmony Gold that did not give up things, not Big West.

After seeing Macross and liking it more than Robotech, I'm not going to lie here and say Robotech is just as good in my opinion, when it isn't. This is my opinion uninfluenced by what anyone else said prior. Oh and don't even label me as one of the guys who traded in his Robotech stuff for Macross, I am one of the guys who defended the MPC after it came out, and became a fan of the MPC VF-1 & I still like it now.

As mentioned in my previous posts there is a lot of characterization in Macross that did not transfer over to Robotech.

i have a region free dvd player so it doesn't matter to me, i can always buy the import dvd.

yea, sdf macross is great. watchin' it and seein' things in it that anime that is still used today just lets one knows how influential it was. bad animation??? it looks good to me. but then again, i did come up on speed racer, voltron, transformers, g.i. joe, thundercats and ninja turtles and i laugh when ppl complain about naruto and bleach havin' bad animation (b.s., watch the shows that i watched back in the 80's and then come back and complain about the so called bad animation). i like it so much that i plan on buyin' animeigo dvd set, even tho' i already have anime friend's fansub version. i can't say the same about other anime that i like like death note and full metal panic! i tried watchin' akira, ninja scroll and ghost in the shell over again and the subs are TERRIBLE. they could at least add borders to them so that i can read them whenever the background is a light color. plus, i took japanese in college and i pick up new words from import dvds and fansubs sometimes. so i know when my dvd's subs have stupid translations (hoi means hey but you ought to see what they translate it as sometimes. baka means stupid/idiot and they mess up this translation too, they like to translate it as a cuss word. it's not, my friend taught me some "bad words" in japanese).

Edited by DJ Loe Kee