Tribute to Dobber camo !!!!!! sv-51 repainting

Ghostkiller

Very nice progression, Ghostkiller. Looks great!

Overall, I still prefer Dobber's scheme but it looks much more complicated (and thus time consuming and expensive). I definitely see Ghostkiller's as more likely for Yamato to give us and Dobber's to remain the customizer's choice.

Hi guys

been looking at the wings today

I ended up not really happy with the camo on the wings

so I have redone it

I have redone the camo on both main wings

I had to use sandpaper to erase the old marks left by the first apply of blue

it helps a lot and thanksfully it looks like it is the first apply of paint now ^_^

the balance of blue is way better now for my taste

dsc02433dn9.jpg

People are calling it the Dobber Camo scheme because of my custom Hasegawa SV-51 I painted a while ago. Graham showed Yamato the pictures of my model and said that it may be a possible repaint in the future.

If you haven't seen it yet here are some pitures. I've been inspired by ghostkiller to pay tribute to myself :p and paint my Yamato like my Hasegawa, if that makes any sense!!

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q222/cd821/TOYS295.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q222/cd821/TOYS292.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q222/cd821/TOYS291.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q222/cd821/TOYS290-1.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q222/cd821/TOYS289-1.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q222/cd821/TOYS288.jpg

Chris

Clap-clap-clap-clap!!!!!!

Wow Ghostkiller! Your SV-51 is really neat! Great paint job!

I have a question though...when you painted this guy...did you have to dismatle every pice of the SV-51? As is remove allt he parts connected with each other?

If yes, how did you tighten back the parts when you put them back together again? When you transform it, how are there any paint chippings happening now on your magnificent creation?

Great work! I wish i could make one...sigh...

Mr March--expanding on that, Dobber based his off of one of the NSWAC F-14 schemes. That NSAWC F-14 scheme was itself (apparently) based off of Ukranian Flanker splinter camo. Ghostkiller based his off of Dobber's version of NSAWC's version of the Ukraine's splinter version of the standard Flanker camo. :)

Which IMHO ended up looking mostly like Ukranian splinter camo pattern in standard Flanker colors.

Regardless, it "looks like a Flanker scheme". :)

Aaahhh, I see. Dobber is just a nickname because of that member's previously posted custom. The real name is the splinter camo for the Ukranian Su-27 Flanker. Dobber's infamy has lead to my misunderstanding :):lol: Thanks Dobber and David Hingtgen for clearing that up. Wow, that sure was quite the round of influences to get to Ghostkiller's version :)

I always loved this color scheme; it's been one of my favorites for years. And it doesn't hurt that it's featured on one of my favorite fighters. It's really quite strange that it's a Ukrainian fighter that has one of my all time favorite color schemes. I'm part Ukrainian myself!

*twilight zone music plays*

:)

Well actually, the REAL name would be "The adversary camo worn by F-14A 161869, while painted up as Black 20 for NSAWC in 1999/2000". :) NSAWC based theirs on the Ukrainian splinter camo, but it's certainly "their own" and Dobber followed that one (AFAIK), not a Ukrainian pattern. But he "splintered" the camo more than it was, and even more than the Ukrainians do. So it's like "super splintered". I posted several camo diagrams and links on the first page of the thread, check my posts on the first page.

Second pic is a different plane in similar camo, but shows the colors better.

Painting a jet in Camoflage makes sense and all, but could someone tell me why they painted the whole noes area white? It probably has something to do with the radar that's inside, but a certain color of paint doesn't interfere with radar does it?

Edited by Dante74

Well actually, the REAL name would be "The adversary camo worn by F-14A 161869, while painted up as Black 20 for NSAWC in 1999/2000". :) NSAWC based theirs on the Ukrainian splinter camo, but it's certainly "their own" and Dobber followed that one (AFAIK), not a Ukrainian pattern. But he "splintered" the camo more than it was, and even more than the Ukrainians do. So it's like "super splintered". I posted several camo diagrams and links on the first page of the thread, check my posts on the first page.

Second pic is a different plane in similar camo, but shows the colors better.

Yes, David is correct, mine is mainly based off of the NSAWC Tomcat but I wanted to use more Flanker like colors..ie they are a little more light. I also "super-splintered" it :lol: to make it more of my own and to try and make it more complex. I should be starting on mine soon but my baby girl is going to be born tomorrow through C-section....soooo......I may have to put it off for a few days ^_^

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Yes, David is correct, mine is mainly based off of the NSAWC Tomcat but I wanted to use more Flanker like colors..ie they are a little more light. I also "super-splintered" it :lol: to make it more of my own and to try and make it more complex. I should be starting on mine soon but my baby girl is going to be born tomorrow through C-section....soooo......I may have to put it off for a few days ^_^

Chris

congrats!

Nosecones often aren't painted at all, they're either molded in color (they're not metal) or covered in urethane, which both only come in certain colors. It is because of radar interference. If it's white, it's probably because it's molded that way. MANY missiles have white nosecones. Planes often have mis-matched nosecones because even if they're lucky enough to get one that "matches"---it almost always fades at a different rate, or it never quite matched in the first place. And it takes years for nosecones to start becoming available in a new color if the camo changes---it's not a very high priority.

The amount of non-metallic nosecone (and types) needed varies by plane and radar, and can change over time as materials and radar improve. Early F-14's had half the nosecone "radome tan" and bare, while newer ones can have all 3 colors of their standard low-vis painted on. (And that's one of the few spots to see all 3 colors in close proximity) F-15's have only the extreme tip molded in color, the rest can be painted--but the entire structure is still non-metallic.

Clap-clap-clap-clap!!!!!!

Wow Ghostkiller! Your SV-51 is really neat! Great paint job!

I have a question though...when you painted this guy...did you have to dismatle every pice of the SV-51? As is remove allt he parts connected with each other?

If yes, how did you tighten back the parts when you put them back together again? When you transform it, how are there any paint chippings happening now on your magnificent creation?

Great work! I wish i could make one...sigh...

Ivanov needs to be dismantled as when he gets shot at the end of macross zero

lol :wacko:

seriously here are the parts that I have unscrewed

the legs were not dismantled I have just masked with tape the knees

dsc02445dd3.jpgdsc02440hu5.jpg

dsc02438vc1.jpgdsc02444py0.jpg

dsc02439bw7.jpgdsc02441pc8.jpg

dsc02452bc6.jpgdsc02448zb4.jpg

knees and articulations taped

dsc02450pj8.jpg

^_^

I should be starting on mine soon but my baby girl is going to be born tomorrow through C-section....soooo......I may have to put it off for a few days ^_^

Chris

Congrats! I think the repaint will have to wait a few weeks instead of a few days. ^_^:)

Nosecones often aren't painted at all, they're either molded in color (they're not metal) or covered in urethane, which both only come in certain colors. It is because of radar interference. If it's white, it's probably because it's molded that way. MANY missiles have white nosecones. Planes often have mis-matched nosecones because even if they're lucky enough to get one that "matches"---it almost always fades at a different rate, or it never quite matched in the first place. And it takes years for nosecones to start becoming available in a new color if the camo changes---it's not a very high priority.

The amount of non-metallic nosecone (and types) needed varies by plane and radar, and can change over time as materials and radar improve. Early F-14's had half the nosecone "radome tan" and bare, while newer ones can have all 3 colors of their standard low-vis painted on. (And that's one of the few spots to see all 3 colors in close proximity) F-15's have only the extreme tip molded in color, the rest can be painted--but the entire structure is still non-metallic.

Damn David, you know just about everything there is to know about aircraft don't you? you should write a book sometime and get some money out of it. :)

Poor little F-16 sitting next to that Su-37, hasn't a chance. Goodluck Ghostkiller, you have alotta parts to dismantle :lol: . Also I agree with Dante74 about David writing an all around aircraft book/encyclopedia, he has too much information to just keep locked away in his head.

Poor little F-16 sitting next to that Su-37, hasn't a chance. Goodluck Ghostkiller, you have alotta parts to dismantle :lol: . Also I agree with Dante74 about David writing an all around aircraft book/encyclopedia, he has too much information to just keep locked away in his head.

job done already Dizman

sv-51 in one piece and repainted all the way

I am just looking for 1/72 scale russian red star

Anyone can send me some ?

Did you use the kit stickers? From what I can tell, Yamato did use Flanker markings.

PS--I would have expected Russian-style modex numbers. Like this:

A big, bold, outlined/shadowed number on the nose would make it look very Russian. Just a suggestion. I have seen ones more like you did on recent Flankers, but a big number with a white border is just so very "Russian" for planes.

Did you use the kit stickers? From what I can tell, Yamato did use Flanker markings.

PS--I would have expected Russian-style modex numbers. Like this:

A big, bold, outlined/shadowed number on the nose would make it look very Russian. Just a suggestion. I have seen ones more like you did on recent Flankers, but a big number with a white border is just so very "Russian" for planes.

u r right I did use yamato stickers on some parts

but wanted to get 01 on this bird that is why

if someone can provide me 01 like real flanker number I will change it but I doubt it does exist

^_^