New Yamato TV Advertisment with 1/60 YF-21

Graham

geez i must have been under a rock or something not to have seen this. I love that ad, the throwback to the dodgy transformation sequences lol.

very VERY excited..indeed....=-)

By the way, if Yamato can't do the VF-22's nor the game version due to licensing issues (Graham stated that it "might" be an issue with the game licence), wich other non canon schemes are possible? Are they any interesting fan works out there that Yamato could use as "inspiration"?

I'm a fan of this one:

mg-may-page-6.jpg

mg-may-page-5.jpg

Edited by Wicked Ace

I am not a big fan of the YF-21. I like it but I think Macross has better mechas...anyhow I am really excited about this because I will finally have the chance to recreate this image;

plus05de0.jpg

That in my opinion is one of the most beautiful ones in the entire Macross saga. Two friends reunite.

I am not a big fan of the YF-21. I like it but I think Macross has better mechas...anyhow I am really excited about this because I will finally have the chance to recreate this image;

plus05de0.jpg

That in my opinion is one of the most beautiful ones in the entire Macross saga. Two friends reunite.

Agreed Ryoma.

It's why it's been my AV since I've joined Macrossworld.

It's such a beautiful moment in time I'll never change it.

Hey, that 3rd prototype has a TARPS pod. Well, I assume it's intended to be a telemetry pod etc, but it's clearly a slightly modified 1/72 F-14 TARPS pod. Hmmmn. All of us F-14 modelers always have tons of spare TARPS pods, since every kit ever comes with one, but most F-14's can't use them.

Judging form Macross 7 both fighters made it to production, with changes tho'. But we do have the VF-19a from the game wich is cannon and identical to the YF-19. As for the 21, Yamato only would have to change the head and canopy and do repaints ad nauseam.

Edit: Almost forgot: Hey Graham, where are those YF-21 pics? :D

Edited by Lonely Soldier Boy

Edit: By the way, if Yamato can't do the VF-22's nor the game version due to licensing issues (Graham stated that it "might" be an issue with the game licence), wich other non canon schemes are possible? Are they any interesting fan works out there that Yamato could use as "inspiration"?

I bookmarked this forum thread a while back. Some cool VF-22 schemes on it.

http://cs.finescale.com/forums/6/566796/ShowPost.aspx#566796

Actually, the belly plates on the -22 are a little different as well, they hold the gunpods internally (you can see that a little on the model pics above).

What I find a little odd is that even though Bandai has the M7 license, they never attempted a VF-22.. probably too complex compared with the others, but still a little surprising. For now, I'll just hope that the VF-22 appears in Macross Frontier somehow, and Yamato uses that to make a ton of em.

Anyone for an Angel Birds scheme? :p

vf22sab.jpg

Edit: Hmm.. never noticed it before, but looks like that Black Clouds Hasegawa mod has the sliding canopy area to shorten the nose like the Yamato one. Wonder if they based the transformation roughly on that one?

Edited by Chronocidal

Just FYI, every one of those VF-22 schemes are simply your standard F-14, F-15, and F-22 schemes. Plus a few experimental Heater-Ferris schemes (possibly F-14, but they remind me more of the ones F-4's wore).

::minor annoyed rant:: I'm always surprised how every time the standard "Compass Ghost" F-15 camo shows up on a valk, people all go "ooooh" and "aaaahhhh" like it was some amazing artistic masterpiece. No, it took 30 secs to photoshop a pre-existing design. It's the scheme every F-15 wore for 20 years, on a different plane. Nothing more.

PS---the original "Low Vis" VF-1 toy is exactly that---the F-15's Compass Ghost scheme--both pattern, and colors. Nothing more. (Which is why it looks good and realistic--it is one of the most effective and common low-vis schemes in the real world--but it frankly doesn't take much creativity/work to come up with the idea on a valk)

Just FYI, every one of those VF-22 schemes are simply your standard F-14, F-15, and F-22 schemes. Plus a few experimental Heater-Ferris schemes (possibly F-14, but they remind me more of the ones F-4's wore).

::minor annoyed rant:: I'm always surprised how every time the standard "Compass Ghost" F-15 camo shows up on a valk, people all go "ooooh" and "aaaahhhh" like it was some amazing artistic masterpiece.

And the YF-23 scheme you posted is an artistic masterpiece? I'm not sure why low vis and camo schemes annoy you when they are right along the same lines as the black widow scheme you posted.

Honestly I like boring/realistic schemes more than I like artistic masterpieces. And that includes the dull gray 23 scheme you posted. I'd rather own a valk that looks like that than one that looks like a hotrod, (Nora 51).

...because the YF-21 is based off of the YF-23. It's kinda like the whole "VF-1's painted as F-14's" thing. There is no equivalent for the YF-19 or VF-11 etc. It's the "real life" scheme for the YF-21.

And it's also why Dobber's Flanker-esque camo is so cool on the Sv-51. It's a scheme the "real life eqivalent" wears. (or nearly so, Dobber's camo is his own design/variation, though based/inspired by a NSAWC F-14)

It's not so much the scheme itself, but the fact that a brilliantly *appropriate* pre-existing scheme was used.

If Kawamori ever makes a valk that looks like an F-15, then the Compass Ghost scheme will look very cool on it and be worthy of fawning over. Until then, it's just a misappropriated scheme. (Since each scheme is designed for a certain shape and pattern--F-18 camo doesn't work on an F-16, F-14 camo doesn't work on an F-15, etc) You can sure paint it like that, but it won't "work" like it's supposed to. The shapes on any feathered-edge two/three tone grey scheme is not just random blob shapes. They spend a lot of time testing and designing the pattern. (Admittedly, Hornets and Gripens have very generic, almost identical schemes that do not seem to have been designed for them really---there's no outline masking at all and many straight lines)

David, you are probably the biggest aviation buff on this forum, and I've always respected your opinion, but honestly right now it just sounds like you're being a little elitist and snobby.

Just FYI, every one of those VF-22 schemes are simply your standard F-14, F-15, and F-22 schemes. Plus a few experimental Heater-Ferris schemes

Yeah, duh. You think we couldn't figure that out when the pictures themselves are labeled as such? None of us need to be told that they are F-22 schemes when the pic says "Raptor scheme" or that they are F-15 compass ghost gray schemes when the pic says "compass ghost gray."

And yes, some valks were based (loosely)off of real world aircraft, but whose to say that real world schemes from other aircraft are "misappropriate" and don't belong on the valk? That would be like saying the YF-19 should only be painted like the x-29 and Su-47. We all know low-vis 1 was inspired by the F-15 and not the F-14, Yamato even announced it as such. That didn't stop everyone here from almost unanimously approving of the scheme (except for you who I guess thought it was inappropriate on an F-14 inspired valk). F-14 schemes are gonna tend to look better on an F-14 inspired valk, but I say as long as it looks good anything goes. If an F-4 or an F-15 scheme looks good enough to get oohs and ahs on a YF-21 I say go for it. The light gray YF-23 doesn't look that different from the F-15 compass gray anyway.

I kinda miss seeing the resin prototype first... loved seeing the uncolored version.

same here. I miss the days when we got to see prototypes and we would run aorund making comical claims like:

it can't stand on it's own legs!!! OMG!!!

ah, the good ol days.

...because the YF-21 is based off of the YF-23. It's kinda like the whole "VF-1's painted as F-14's" thing. There is no equivalent for the YF-19 or VF-11 etc. It's the "real life" scheme for the YF-21.

And it's also why Dobber's Flanker-esque camo is so cool on the Sv-51. It's a scheme the "real life eqivalent" wears. (or nearly so, Dobber's camo is his own design/variation, though based/inspired by a NSAWC F-14)

It's not so much the scheme itself, but the fact that a brilliantly *appropriate* pre-existing scheme was used.

If Kawamori ever makes a valk that looks like an F-15, then the Compass Ghost scheme will look very cool on it and be worthy of fawning over. Until then, it's just a misappropriated scheme. (Since each scheme is designed for a certain shape and pattern--F-18 camo doesn't work on an F-16, F-14 camo doesn't work on an F-15, etc) You can sure paint it like that, but it won't "work" like it's supposed to. The shapes on any feathered-edge two/three tone grey scheme is not just random blob shapes. They spend a lot of time testing and designing the pattern. (Admittedly, Hornets and Gripens have very generic, almost identical schemes that do not seem to have been designed for them really---there's no outline masking at all and many straight lines)

Oh, I see what you're saying. Well that's certainly an interesting way of thinking about it. (Do you suffer from OCD?...kidding.)

Well I'm not nearly that picky about Valk schemes coming from the real world aircraft inspirations. That makes sense and there is certainly a logic behind your madness, I'll give you that, but as long as it's some kind of scheme that looks like practical military colours/camo then it works for me. I'd love to see the 21 in a YF-23, F-15, or any type of modern era real world scheme.

anyone translate the japanese from the commercial yet?

What's to translate? "The amazing YF-21 from Macross Plus! Perfect transformation in all three modes! Fighter! Ziiiing! Gerwalk! Ziiing! Battroid! YF-19 also available to recreate the epic battles from the movie! (sold separately). Look out for the Macross Zero line of toys! Collect them all! (Yamato)."