Disliked Mecha...

drkstar00

Oh dizman, thank you for your avatar it made me remember a non-Macross mecha I dislike.

Besides gundams, I dislike the Metal Gears. Armless freaks. :p:lol: So easily taken down by one man that catches monkeys in between important missions. :p

I wasn't too fond of the Scherazard in Escaflowne, although Escaflowne itself and the Alseides units were interesting. The liquid metal weaponry was pretty cool.

Turkey Gundam. it's short, overrated, overpowered, & very very unmanly.

then there's pretty much every gundam outside of UC continuity.

Matrix APU. it's design's about as unintelligent as those of the 1st & 2nd gen 'original' Battletech/Mechwarrior designs. :lol:

yup, VA3. i'd forgotten about that until now

Metal Gear Ray. so girly for a machine of doom. that, & the mini moo-ing metal gears in MGS4

the Koenig Monster's not all bad, it's got a little charm to it... kinda like a "Monster-lite" :lol:

though the title "Koenig" should belong to the real Monster.

VF-1, and I'm being serious. *Mancini Ducks*

VF-4 somewhat.

M7 Valks with the exception of the 11 and 22.

Most of the Zentran mecha actually, with the exception of the Q which is kinda cool.

I've always secretly wished the Zentran mecha resembled Appleseed Landmates a little bit more, especially the Guges-D which is such a bad-ass mecha. Even as a kid the Regults seemed sort of silly and unintimidating to me. It doesn't seem like something practical that a humanoid would actually design for himself. Being a Regult pilot has never looked very appealing to me. If I was a Zentraedi soldier seeing a Regult for the first time I'd be like, "I have to fly this? Can I be micronized and have a Valk instead?"

Edited by Vic Mancini

VF-1, and I'm being serious. *Mancini Ducks*

As punishment, you are forbidden from visiting my website :):lol:

Actually, I can understand if some Macross fans dislike the VF-1. It's simply old; all of the classics of modern science fiction designs are. I love the VF-1 Valkyrie, the Gundam, the X-Wings, the Star Destroyers and even the original Enterprise, but they are all over a quarter century old and they look it. Also in the case of Macross, the original VF-1 Valkyrie has been used and abused in popular culture and merchandising to such a degree, it's easy for some to be sick of the design by now.

Personally, I still adore the VF-1 Valkyrie despite rare bouts of over-exposure (like the opening of my website, hehehe) and will likely love it to the end of my days. But it doesn't appeal to younger anime fans and I can't blame older fans for wanting to just move on.

I just have to say that the VF-17 doesn't do anything for me.

Ban him Graham !!!

The Ball - Come on. The 2001 influence isn't even showing.

It`s the DeathStars anyoing little brother.

Any mecha well then how about anything vaugely Powerranger ish and mecha with metalic gold on them.

Edited by big F

Aww why all the Metal Gear haters, I'll admit it isnt pretty but when it comes down to mild realism, MG Rex is where its at. Also the rest of the series mech werent too great but Rex is a fantastic design. And any man who catches monkys on the side deserves respect :lol: !

VF-19F Kai... VF-11 MAXL!! wtf?!?!?

VF-11MAXL Custom? No. Without the boobs, I could live with it...

VF-19 Kai? Remove the face and the stupid pain job, and it looks like a reasonable production model of the YF-19, essentially the "P" without the nipples on the shoulders. The Blazer does nothing for me.

VF-17 = Stupid, a stealth fighter configured to look like a flock of birds on radar, but wait, if flies primarily in space??!!! However the Battroid mode is quite cool!

VF-4 = Love the fighter mode, GERWALK & battroid are retarded

VF-9 = Love the fighter mode and GERWALK but battroid is retarded

VA-3 = FUGLY variable fighter

Koenig Variable Monster = Not a fan mostly due to the improbability of it and the fact that's is one big ass target...

Battle 7 Storm Attacker Mode = Dumbest idea the producers of M7 came up with, OK 4th dumbest... :p

Regults = most ineffectual enemy mecha.

I only really have a total overall hate on for the VA-3 and the Regults, all the rest have some redeming qualities...

Edited by Zinjo

As punishment, you are forbidden from visiting my website :):lol:

That would be a pretty serious punishment actually.

Actually, I can understand if some Macross fans dislike the VF-1. It's simply old; all of the classics of modern science fiction designs are. I love the VF-1 Valkyrie, the Gundam, the X-Wings, the Star Destroyers and even the original Enterprise, but they are all over a quarter century old and they look it.

Thank you. There are just too many good valks that have been designed since the VF-1 that are just so much more elegant. I can barely even look at the VF-1 anymore. To me, (just my personal opinion), it's F mode is like a stubby brick with stick-wings that point straight out to the sides and it drives me crazy. I've noticed a pattern on macrossworld that a lot of VF-1 lovers are also FAST pack lovers who like to see Valks decked out to the nines with extra armor and weapons. The super/strike configuration of the VF-1 is the only thing that looks good to me anymore and since I'm not really a big FAST pack guy I'm just not into the VF-1 anymore.

What about halfies? The VF-1 is awesome with just the leg FP's in fighter mode, but i like the VF-1, so yeah... :p

But yeah my fav is the SV-51, and YF-21 probably most fav.

Nahhhhhhh still diggin the VF-1's yo with or without FP's......but of course my personal fav is the Chunky...EVERYONE knows that ^_^

Vic Mancini

Wow, that's certainly a lot of distaste for the VF-1 :) I have to say I've personally never seen the VF-1 as a brick. I can understand it's age, but the VF-1 has aged very well, IMO. Of course, I still love the F-15 and many 60s-70s fighter aircraft. Hell, I even have some love for the old P-47 and I'm not even an aviation buff :)

I will say this though (to which I'm sure you can relate): I've never understood the inability of some to truly appreciate the Valkyries that came after the VF-1. I know they are not iconic and can't be because they were not first. But I adore the VF-11, YF-19 and YF-21. They are fantastic and are second to none, IMO. And I have to say, the VF-25 is really shaping up to be one of my all time favorites. I just hope the context in which it's used lives up to it's visual appeal.

Edited by Mr March

meh, I think the Vf-1 has aged very well and continues to set the benchmark for "realistic" mecha in terms of looks versus functionality.

Personally, I find the vf-4 so butt-ugly in anything other than fighter mode I wonder what I'm not seeing every time I see a "yamato make me a VF-4" post.

Vic Mancini

Wow, that's certainly a lot of distaste for the VF-1 :) I have to say I've personally never seen the VF-1 as a brick.

Really? I think it's very stubby, especially compared to the newer valk designs like the 19 and 51 which have long elegant fuselages that flow nicely into the sleek body of the plane. The 21/22 and 11 have some very interesting shapes/angles going on too. The VF-1's bulk in F mode is very squarish/boxy and the fuselage is rather short. I believe the wing span is about equal to, or longer, than the actual length of the F mode, which adds to it's width. And the shapeless thin rectangular wings that point straight out to the sides just turn me right off. Overall it's just not a pleasing shape to me unless it's loaded up with missles and super parts, and like I said I'm not really into that. I loved it to death when I was a kid, and I must've transformed my Jetfire 10,000 times, but I don't think the design has aged as well as most of you seem to think. That's cool though, it's all personal preference.

I will say that the B mode has aged fairly well...better than F mode IMO. But I'm more of an F/G mode guy than a B mode guy. A really good looking F mode is important to me.

VF 25 :ph34r: sorry guys, i'm not connecting well with the design.

i don't actually hate it, it just doesn't "wow" me. :(

oh, and... VF1=bad? Ban the disbelievers !!! :lol: jk

surprisingly for its age, the VF1 blends well beside the new designs.

now, if it was the original Megaroad VF1 design... we have a valid argument :lol:

granted, there are people who have only seen Plus/Zero, it's understandable how the VF1 would be an unfavorable design.

:)

granted, there are people who have only seen Plus/Zero, it's understandable how the VF1 would be an unfavorable design.

That's mostly where my understanding stems from. I never got into Gundam during it's original run, it was only many years later. I find the original Gundam design way too blocky. It wasn't until Gundam 0080 came along that I fell in love with the mobile suit and the Alex became my all-time favorite Gundam even to this day. So I can certainly understand fans who came in later to Macross not having much love for the old VF-1.

So I can certainly understand fans who came in later to Macross not having much love for the old VF-1.

I can't :angry:

Just kidding.......really I am ^_^

IMO, there isnt a better looking macross valk than the VF-1

but if some fans dont like it, they dont like it.

people call me crazy because i think the sv-51 and yf-21 look awful.

not all designs are for all fans.

DAMN STRAIGHT :D

:)

Could be. But I'm looking around this thread and I seem to be the only one who actually admits a dislike for the VF-1, and I grew up on SDFM while every other kid my age was watching TF and GI Joe, so that category doesn't apply to me.

Hmm, for mechs outside of Macross, I have a strong dislike for the mechs in Gundam SEED(specifically, Destiny). They look like overly decorative clowns trying to be pretty with them posing all over the solar system. Not to mention their unrealistic power level that makes them almost like super robots. Sheesh, I can never get why they have to have angel or bird-like wings to fly.

The side-story Astrays in the first manga series, however, are the exception. I'm actually fond of the two main mechs, Blue and Red. Big swords may sound ridiculous where mechs are involved, but they seem to go well with them. I don't know why.

Ok, for Macross, it'll be any Valk with lips and awful color schemes(VF-19 Fire Valkyrie and VF-11MAXL, I'm looking at you both >.< ). And if weren't for its' ugly battroid mode, I would've like the Cutlass. So there.

That said, this is just an opinion of mine, and ain't gonna accuse anyone of liking these designs. It's really a matter of taste(spoiled by the realism the mechs from Front Mission and Armored Core has given out.). :)

the breasts on the female valks in m7 dont bother me as much as other designs. Along with Transformers, GiJoe, Voltron and Robotech, I grew up watching Tranzor Z and Go Nagai and plenty of robots with breasts in that anime.

Minerva X

Dianan

Aphrodai

they all had boobs and fired rockets out of them.

I dont like the Valks with faces, but there others that get to me more than those.

Well I've hated the look of the VF-21 since the day I saw it, the vf-19's from M7 are all fugly, the VF-4 only looks good in fighter mode any zentran mecha( looks good being blow up though). Oh the SV-51 looks like a praying mantus in battroid only looks good in fighter and gerwalk and the list goes on.

Gundam, about 40% look good and the rest look crap and evas look creepy. I'm a heavy armor type of guy, love the VF-1 with super/strike armor the VF-0 looks great in reactive armor and well in gundam the more armor the better such as the Deep strike or statmen, ZZ full armor basicly, look at the gundam fix range to see the gundams I like but not all.

I think that the VF-1 has aged really well and is the most practical for transformation, I'm no fan of the stealth look in fighters even if it is the future. Long Live the F-14 Tomcat we'll never forget you.

There is just so much blasphemy on these pages! Not liking the Mac+ valks??? Or worse hating the VF-1!!! Okay time to call some sniper buddies of mine and take care of a few folks. LOL

Make 'em bleed and suffer!! None of this "quick and painless" crap! :p

Not a big fan of the VF-4's battroid mode. For something so sleek and sexy in fighter mode, the battroid design really looks meh.