Disliked Mecha...

drkstar00

Macross--- Mac 2 Mecha the designs are atrocious. They look nothing like any of the other series mecha. The other series look real world, and they seem to show a natural progression of complexity as the series advance over time.

VF-4 I like the fighter mode, but the battroid mode leaves alot to be desired.

Outside of Macross-- Gundam--I've never seen the attraction to the designs.

VF 14. it looks like it's VF aspect is being forced into it, it doesn't look natural.

Stampeed Valkyrie. while the many many guns is appealing, it just doesn't fit well in a macross universe.

the design doesn't look well thought out & it looks more like something for gundam. plus the weird nosecone.

and VF's with lips... self explanatory :lol:

are we talking about Macross mecha, or anime mecha in general?

Personally, i dont like the SV-51, YF-21, the Macross 7 crap and most of the Zentradi battle mechs.

outside of macross, im not a big fan of the Evangelions, Escaflowne or the original Getter robo's

I'm gonna have to agree with most of what you wrote Jeremy. Something about the Eva's really creep me out.

YEAh crazy talk MONSTERS rule...Koenig maybe not so much... but i still remember freaking the F!!! out when i saw it change in the game..."it can do that?" :blink:

YF21 definately gotta be on list,

The vf-171s head looks cool, but in jet mode looks like S.

PheyosPheyos from the game.and M7- FZ109f

All regular Gundams..except like thisSuper zz maybe it's the paint jobs....

and Evas freak me out too, all lanky and hunched..

Edited by orguss01

Specific to produced Macross mecha designs, I'd have to say the Zentradi Nousjadeul-Ger powered-armor really doesn't do it for me. The design just doesn't look menacing at all. A close second would be the unnecessarily girly VF-11 MAXL. 'MAXL'... what's that? Bra size? <_<

For unproduced designs, no contest: Stampede Valkyrie... what a MESS. :ph34r:

For unproduced designs, no contest: Stampede Valkyrie... what a MESS. :ph34r:

Gotta agree with you there, it's like they took all the stupid over the top weaponry of the worst of gundam and epoxied it on a valk.

I pretty much can't stand any of the Fz mechs either.

Yeha cannot stand the Stampede as well..

Just for sakes, outside Macross (this question was posted in the Macross part of this "Macross" forum afterall), :lol:

i'd have to say anything Gundam (very few i like, and the new series is starting to sway more to Armoured Core which is a PLUS), and alot of those stupid looking Super robots apart from the few (Maz Z and Mazinkaizer etc)

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Hate the VF-9 Cutlass. Fighter mode is meh, gerwalk is butt, and battroid is just downright bfugly.

The VA-3 looks like a bug, I don't like it. I also hated that you had to use in in VFX2 and it took up the spot of the VF-4. :(

The varuta mecha are too chunky and ugly.

Macross II valkyries look wrong.

VF-11kai MAXL, a VF-11 with boobs and a face is just wrong wrong wrong.

The rest of the M7 kai valks. Although the VF-11D Jamming birds are cool. :)

The Pheyos valkyrie from DMVFX and VFX2, it's a freaking flying wedge that sprouts legs and stays a wedge... with legs.

Yeah, I'm going to say the VF-1 Stampede valkyrie. There's just too much stuff piled onto that poor VF-1. The VF-11 Stampede concept sketch is too much as well, totally kills the coolness of the VF-11 (although I like the VF-11 with protect armor).

Not a big fan of the regault, or nousjadeul-ger. The glaug and Q-rau rock.

VF-11kai MAXL, a VF-11 with boobs and a face is just wrong wrong wrong.

The rest of the M7 kai valks. Although the VF-11D Jamming birds are cool. :)

Lol, do those words remind you of anyone?

Actually I take my vote back for the 21.

If there is any valk that is worse in design and aesthetics, it's the Metal Siren and most of the Valks in the Macross II Universe.

The one thing that i hate most of the MacII Battroids is the head sheilds that they don. Metal Siren looks crappy, and the SAP armour is pathetic. (like you'd need it anyways...) wasn't that head sheild supposed to give it better scope for targetting? Or just to protect it? Either way i don't like it.

That aside they are fine with me, the VF2JA's are boring. Off topic i love the Metal Siren's large wings and without the Spear attached to make the nosecone seem longer and sleeker.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

The one thing that i hate most of the MacII Battroids is the head sheilds that they don. Metal Siren looks crappy, and the SAP armour is pathetic. (like you'd need it anyways...) wasn't that head sheild supposed to give it better scope for targetting? Or just to protect it? Either way i don't like it.

That aside they are fine with me, the VF2JA's are boring. Off topic i love the Metal Siren's large wings and without the Spear attached to make the nosecone seem longer and sleeker.

I never got that atmospheric one. It was really ugly, probably the ugliest, save for that funny one that can only stay in GERWALK-like mode the whole time and has missiles on the tips of it's wings. It only got shown for a few seconds in the anime before getting kamikazed by a Marduk.

Worst Macross VF ever

Zentran VF (from Macross II). It's so bad... the line art for it doesn't even show up in the TIAS:MII booK!

Though... there is one worse... the Marduk transforming mecha from Macross II! (sadly... it does have line-art...)

Going outside of Macross, that rip-off of the Psycho Gundam in Gundam Seed (or Seed Destiny.) Not only is it a retarded rip-off, it's used in a retarded way in the story.

Outside of Macross I find that most animation mecha are far too anthropomorphic for my tastes. Even if I like the show (e.g. Transformers, Voltron) I still think the mecha look like poo in most cases. Maybe because I'm an engineer by trade I need to see somewhat realistic detail in the mechanics of the thing. At least with Transformers the complexity of the toys often times make up for the laziness of the animators. Many mecha (e.g. Getter, Mazinger) look to me like stacks of roughly cylindrical toy blocks connected together with rods of impossibly pliable alloys rather than realistic mechanical joints. And as someone else said... If it has a mouth, GAG!

In the Macross universe I have to say that the VF-11MAXL looks like someone wanted to create a "sexy" battroid. WTF?! It's as bad as when they introduced female Transformers (why does a race of mechanical beings need to be male or female). Arcee and the VF-11MAXL in battroid mode could both be wearing fish tank heels and dancing around brass poles for Megatron's singles. It's absurd to think a machine of war would ever look like a stripper or a call girl. The closest mecha should ever come to being sexy would be a pin-up girl, a la WWII bombers, painted on the outside of a magnificent Battletech mech.

Most MacII valks, all of the unseen in animation valks from the design books, most of those are horrible, and the VF-11 MAXL. I have always liked a sleek valk that changes to an imposing robot and a lot of those designs defeat that purpose.

Disliked mecha, hmmm. Well, when it comes to Macross Mecha I dislike the most, I'd say:

Fieos Valkyrie - Kawamori was slicing up beets and thought it would make a good Valkyrie. Um, no.

Fz-109A Elgerzorene - Say no to cone head mecha.

VF-11MAXL Custom - It's female, its pretty and it's pink. Sounds great, until you realize you can't have a one night stand with it.

VF-9 Cutlass - A mediocre fighter mode, an ugly GERWALK mode and an awful Battroid mode that just had to have a cone head as icing on the cake.

As for other mecha, I like a lot of the Gundam designs, the Evangelions, the Patlabors. Not much to hate there, but some really irk me:

The Ball - Come on. The 2001 influence isn't even showing.

G Gundam - Almost everything here is awful.

Most baroque mecha don't sit well with me unless the setting really works for it (exceptions are the stylish mecha in The Five Star Stories or The Vision of Escaflowne). Mecha with excessive fins/wings/spires/protrusions and other such nonsense don't look all that great to me and mega-guns generally turn me off (think VF-2SS from Macross II or FAZZ from Gundam ZZ).

one thing that i think is very interesting about G Gundam is that unlike previous gundam stories, these actually look different. Yes, they still look like gundams but they have design characteristics based on what country they come from. John Bull Gundam looks like a Royal Guard, God Gundam looks like a Samurai, Speigal Gundam looks like a Storm Trooper (not the SW kind) I think the designs for G Gundam are very clever.