Hellboy II

Kurisama

I did some VFX work on the first one. Guillermo really loves the character and this one has been in the works since. I think the studio wasn't sold on it due to box office perfomance and the fact that it was a hard sell for a new character. Half the places the movie was, the title was changed to Supersapiens or some other cheesy name. After Guillermo did Pan's Labyrinth pretty much on his own with so much acclaim. The movie became an easier pitch for him. Since the dvd sales are good and the new animated series is doing well for them the studios were a lot easier to sway. Hell, the character is already established so it should do way better then the first.

Just let it die already they already overused the series...

Overused? There is a wealth of stories that can be told in the Hellboy universe - plus another Del Toro movie - eeeeee!

But, everyone is entitled to their own opinion...

I did some VFX work on the first one. Guillermo really loves the character and this one has been in the works since. I think the studio wasn't sold on it due to box office perfomance and the fact that it was a hard sell for a new character. Half the places the movie was, the title was changed to Supersapiens or some other cheesy name. After Guillermo did Pan's Labyrinth pretty much on his own with so much acclaim. The movie became an easier pitch for him. Since the dvd sales are good and the new animated series is doing well for them the studios were a lot easier to sway. Hell, the character is already established so it should do way better then the first.

What VFX specifically did u work on in the movie? Did you get to meet Señor Del Toro? Anything with Mignola & Del Toro has gotta be gold (In my book). I think they've worked together since Blade 2? I know Mignola worked on Dracula also.

But yeah - now that Hellboy is more widely known now - i think audiences will be more welcoming.

Edited by Kurisama

The first one was fun and cool, I loved Ron Pearlman. I knew that they planned a second one from the get go but as it was mentioned before it was a hard sell. I think it will be great. Also if anyone follows Kevin Smith he has the secret to constantly making films that arent box office hits. If Del Toro has a low budget and can double the profit off the movie studios will allow him to do whatever he wants. So if he makes it with only 50 mil, and makes a profit then he can make whatever. That's why certain movies have sequels that you don't think they should because they always make back their money. It is when you do a huge production and it fails is when studios become real hesitant about making sequels. Like Superman Returns barely made enough to just break even. Now Clerks 2 only made 10 million dollars and by all accounts is looked at as a failure, but when you see that he only spent 5 mil to make it, it is actually successful in a small way. I think that is why Hellboy worked. It wasn't too expensive and made most of it's money back. So now they can do a sequel, plus Del Toro has critcal acclaim, or rather he has more of it now than he did when he made the first one. Because before the first HB all he had under his belt anyone cared for was Blade 2.

Kanedaestes,

Del Toro also had The Devil's Backbone, Mimic and Cronos before Hellboy. Now he has At the Mountains of Madness in production and soon Hellboy 2. Pan's gave him a name, before Pan's people didn't know him on his own and now his name can sell tickets.

Kurisama,

I did Compositing, roto and a little VFX previs. Yes, I got to meet Del Toro and later Mignola. The company I worked for let me do an illustration piece for the SDCC handout book thanking them for their work. I've worked on over 20 films and two of them were Del Toro films, he's great because he let's the artists go off but he still knows when enough is enough. He has a true vision of what will work for his film. Rodriguez is another director like that but for him the quality level doesn't need to be as high, he knows the subject matter doesn't need the level of VFX that a film like Pan's or Children of Men does. Sin City was especially fun because we would do something we enjoyed and thought looked good and all he would say is "Cool", which to him meant final. Most directors need to make at least a few changes to feel like they were the ones who did the shot, not you.

Kanedaestes,

Del Toro also had The Devil's Backbone, Mimic and Cronos before Hellboy. Now he has At the Mountains of Madness in production and soon Hellboy 2. Pan's gave him a name, before Pan's people didn't know him on his own and now his name can sell tickets.

Kurisama,

I did Compositing, roto and a little VFX previs. Yes, I got to meet Del Toro and later Mignola. The company I worked for let me do an illustration piece for the SDCC handout book thanking them for their work. I've worked on over 20 films and two of them were Del Toro films, he's great because he let's the artists go off but he still knows when enough is enough. He has a true vision of what will work for his film. Rodriguez is another director like that but for him the quality level doesn't need to be as high, he knows the subject matter doesn't need the level of VFX that a film like Pan's or Children of Men does. Sin City was especially fun because we would do something we enjoyed and thought looked good and all he would say is "Cool", which to him meant final. Most directors need to make at least a few changes to feel like they were the ones who did the shot, not you.

Sorry i didn't mean to say those weren't as important, honestly i forgot about them and Blade 2 was the only one that came to mind. I too love Rodriguez, i think he is a genius. I look forward to any and all project done by those two. Planet Terror was amazing.

If what I've heard and read about Rodriguez is true then I have kinda lost a lot of love for him. Let's just say he might've bought into his own hype in regards to his personal life and superstardom. It looks like it has affected every facet of his life. I have a problem watching planet terror because it seems like it is one big love letter to Rose. Don't parade yourself as the Anti Hollywood family man then blow all that poo away for a chick who Manson slept with, c'mon.

Kurisama,

Roto... what i've seen of that, well - u must have A LOT of patience! I'm so envious u got to meet the both of them! What other Del Toro film did u work on? I work in the games industry, mostly as a prop builder, and lately i've been delving into the concept art department. It's great.

I also did some work on Pan's Labyrinth. I got pulled off of that early to work on Snakes on a Plane, not much of a trade off but I got to do some cool shots on it.

I also did some work on Pan's Labyrinth. I got pulled off of that early to work on Snakes on a Plane, not much of a trade off but I got to do some cool shots on it.

Awww - shame!

Pan's has gotta rate as one of my top 5 fave films of all time - even my parents enjoyed it (i guess its one of the few spanish language 'mainstream' movies available, so that helped).

Totally agree, I had the worst supe on Snakes on a Plane anyway. That movie pretty much ruined the business for me. Way too much incompetence in Hollywood. Very rarely do you get a chance to work on something good. When you do the experience is almost always ruined by some apeface who thinks it's their movie and forgets they are the hired help. Best experience so far had to be Sin City, Eragon and Shark boy and Lavagirl. Two of them had some shitty experiences but Eragon was pretty cake. It's funny how the shitty movies are sometimes the best experiences. You can do better FX on them when there aren't so many people who get a say in what it should look like.

http://www.hellboymovie.com/

Just had a look at the concept art gallery - very cool!

I love the comic books, love Guillermo Del Toro & Mike Mignola - so i'm super excited about this!

Thoughts?

Discuss!

Why is Universal releasing it instead of Columbia?I have to say I sure hope it's better than animated because that was freakin awful!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah the animated movies were pretty terrile. It's like producers said;

"Hey, Hellboy is all about heavy visual contrast and things in shadows - lets NOT do that... I think it'll really work - oh, oh, ho - AND lets just take snippets of the TPB's and mash them into a crappy cartoon, it'll be ok tho - 'cause we'll use Ron Pearlman for his voice."

• 4 years later...

After this, Perlman was talking about doing Hellboy 3. I am really surprised about that, my understanding is that he dislike being under the makeup so much that he swore he would never do another Hellboy again. Personally I would love to see one, the first two movies are such a pleasure to watch.

I second that. I especially loved how the Hellboy crew told Tambor's character to "Take This Job and Shove It" in the "The Golden Army". I would absolutely love to see a third movie.

This proves that you can't really say "no" to make a wish without looking like a total ass, can you ;) ? (That last comment was made entirely tongue-in-cheek, mind you)

• 2 years later...

This will be a strange post - but watching this piece of trash for the first time - writing this to avoid watching it further. Ugh. Hellboy is holding a baby or something and tossed it in the air while he reloaded - ? Did this make money?

My friend loves these and had me watch part 1 before this. There is something hate able about every 20 seconds. Worst writing, worst screen plays I've seen in a while - all under a huge budget of special effects. This is a little less enjoyable than Green Lantern...