Meeting Yamato on October 21

Graham

Comment #1 : First and foremost thank you YAMATO for making our childhood favorite and modern valks of Macross. Without you guys I would of never thought about collecting toys much at all if it wasn't for you guys. B))

Questions:

1. Will Yamato ever consider making their valks out of a much stronger plastic or have more diecast content?

2. Will Yamato ever consider using ratchet joints for not only the legs, but the arms, shoulders, etc. The clicking sounds is always a sound of comfort.

3. What is the status of a possible SDF-1 in the works?

4. I would love to see a VF-4 made by Yamato and so many others on this forum would too. So Mr.Graham could you insist the production of a VF-4? 1/60 or 1/48 scale either would be pretty cool.

5. Could we see some pictures of the YF-21 1/60 prototype pretty please?

1-Is there a possibility for a new perfect variable/transformation 1/60 VF-1 under $100? Also, can you suggest to Yamato that if this VF-1 were to be made, we would not need moving flaps, nor removable nosecone with detailed randome. Diecast only in necesary areas for structural durability.

2-Will universal movement ratchets be used instead of balljoints in the future? Some of the ball joints(1/48 VF-1 shoulders) loosen over time.

3-Is a 1/48 VF-1A Max Type TV version being considered? Being that Kakizaki, a much less popular character, had a DYRL 1/48 toy made, why not Max from the TV series? Kakizaki's valkyrie in DYRL barely had any screen time compared to Max's VF-1A in the TV series. Significant and memorable appearancees featuring his VF-1A prominently:first fight with Milia, combat debut saving Kakizaki, saving Kakizaki, Hikaru and Misa, etc. Add to the fact, that Max is a popular character.

4-Are the 1/60 VF-0 shoulders and bicep parts being redesigned for durability in future versions?

5-Of all the 1/48 VF-1 releases, which sold the best?

6-Will 1/48 FAST pack parts be available in the near future?

I'll second SHIN's last query. Would be nice to get some extras, now that they're harder to find at reasonable prices. Oh, and 1/48 MAX 1S, but of course, that's been asked a couple of times already in this thread :lol: . Thanks, GRAHAM!

Oh hey Graham, umm can you ask Yamato if they will be making the 1/48 VF-1D and the TV 1A Max and Ben colors? Its a simple repaint. PLEASE?

I'm hoping the rest of your rant is sarcastic since you proceed to beg for new toys. I'm also hoping you realize the VF-1D is not a simple repaint, it's a two seater. As a two-seater it has an extended canopy and a slightly different chest piece and a few other differences. If you're confused at the differences please research the custom 2 seater 1/48s that were made by an MW member...

Graham, can you please ask for an update on NB4M's 2 seater??? Looked like a beautiful design...

Otherwise I'd want to hear about whether or not any new 1/48 repaints are planned (not necessarily reissues of existing schemes).

Another question, who has the rights to the upcoming Macross series???

Finally, are there any plans to sell NEW toys based on the original Macross TV series???

Edited by jenius

- is there any chance to got an atmospheric booster for 1/60e vf1 valk and armored pack for gerwalk mode ?

- Can they reissue vf1 1/60 from the tv series ?

- Can they make a macross fortress from tv series (min 50 cm taller) ?

Thank you Graham

Can we get some sort of parts diagrams, with part number charts and the ability to order spare parts? Kind of like a car or motorcycle?

This could help out in three ways.

One, people could fix/update what they already have

Second, they will seel more because they know they can fix what they buy opposed to replacing it

Third, it will dramiticaly increase the number of "customs" out there because poeple will not be so afraid to modify something.

The above three reasons are why the Mustang 5.0L is the most popular hot rod on the planet

The above is why Ducati sells 50 times more bikes than the other two motorcycle manufacturers

Any company offering a "toy" in this price range should have replacement parts available. I know it's an exteme analogy, but you don't trow your car away when it's broken do you? Do you make new parts for it when it breaks

I have a humble reply. Before any toy goes into production, they should have a few PRODUCTION models, NOT prototypes or resin models, laying around the office. Someone's job should be to play with that thing for no more than 10 minutes per day. Just have them PLAY with it. Maybe people can switch off on this job. After a month, they should see where the stress marks are, where it's broken, etc, and fix it BEFORE the first run. The last duty of this "everyone switches off and plays with it" model is dropping it off a desk at the end of the month IF it survived that month. Not throwing it, but just an accurate simulation of an accidental nosedive from a shelf, due to (say) accidentally bumping into your shelf.

I really, really hope you ask this of Yamato. It's not going to cost them much time. Employees can switch off on this so that a different person plays with the model on a different day. Bottom line, it'll just cost them what it takes to make one Valkyrie at the factory. So many QC problems could've been fixed if Yamato just played with their own first-edition products. I know the QC problems won't be obvious on their computers where they design the toys, and I'm sure the resin prototypes and their own molds are flawless, but this clearly doesn't pass on through to production of the product.

I'm so sick of first-edition versions having all the structural integrity of an eggshell.

Edited by Lord of Tetris

First of all, as many mw members said, thanks Graham for sharing all this information with us. And, uhm, well... many thanks in advance for sharing all those nice pictures you're going to share with us... (you will, pretty preety please covered with chocolate? ^_^)

Please send Yamato staff my "thanks" for the macros stuff, specially the 1/48 line and the mac+ valks.

I have a humble reply. Before any toy goes into production, they should have a few PRODUCTION models, NOT prototypes or resin models, laying around the office. Someone's job should be to play with that thing for no more than 10 minutes per day. Just have them PLAY with it. Maybe people can switch off on this job. After a month, they should see where the stress marks are, where it's broken, etc, and fix it BEFORE the first run. The last duty of this "everyone switches off and plays with it" model is dropping it off a desk at the end of the month IF it survived that month. Not throwing it, but just an accurate simulation of an accidental nosedive from a shelf, due to (say) accidentally bumping into your shelf.

I love this! If they don't do this "after 1st production real life testing", they reallyreally do. But if they already do, they should do it better. <_<

My basic concern is now about:

1.- yf-21. Release dates, gimmicks, and photographs. And also if the first run is going to have FAST packs, or they are going to follow yf-19's schedule (first w/o FAST packs, and some months after, yf-21 plus FP's and FP's separately.

2.- vf-11. If they have 'forecasted' it, and if so, as much info as they allow you to provide us.

3.- Pricing policy. Mmmm... this really hurts, IMHO. What I mean with this question is I don't really feel the extra value for a, let's say, a VF-0s or a yf-19, compared to the value of a 1/48 yammie. What I'm trying to say is they have pushed too much our wallets, and 200 bucks for a non-FP yammie is too much, IMO. They should lower prices, because at the end we will buy more! Actually, I would have more than one single vf-0 or yf-19. But those prices are somehow prohibitive to purchase more than one per each... (actually I have three 1/48 Hikaru's -various models; A, S, J, and 4 VF-1 1/60's).

Anyway, thanks again Graham for letting us the chance to speak to Yamato.

Regds,

Manu

Edited by mcpaz

I am another that agrees that yamato should have a good look a thier pricing. If they become to much more expensive I just can't afford to purchase many of thier products and I imagine it's just not me. Bring back the 1/60 VF pricing and no more expensive than the 1/48 VF line. I for one would buy more if the price was a bit lower.

Minmay Guard 1/48 would be nice.

Please make two SDF1 in both DYRL and TV colours.

I'd also like to see a VF-4 and most of all a VF-11.

Thanks Graham.

Graham please ask Yamato the following

- If they can devise a locking mechanism for the chest area of the YF-19 in battroid mode

- If they will make a new and revised VF-1 in 1/60 scale

- About the current state of the Zero line (valks , issues, exchange parts etc.)

Thank you.

1. Smaller Boxes - I don't think Yamato will find a single fan of their large boxes. If they had Tenjin artwork then it would be a different story, but Yamato seems to be a fan of the minimalist design so it makes no sense for the large boxes. They could easily shave off a couple of inches by folding in the wings and tailfins. I doubt it would hurt sales since most stores I've seen display the boxes on their sides or with the window flap closed. I'm sure smaller retailers like Valkyrie Exhange would welcome the smaller boxes too as it would save them storage room.
  2. Tampo Printing - I love how they're including more Tampo printing, but I think the basics such as the UN Spacy logo should always be Tampo printed wherever it appears on the lineart. Nevertheless, extra UN Spacy logos should be included as stickers for customizers.
  3. Crystal Clear Canopies - Yamato's given us better canopies over the years, but I still get a little envious when I see how beautifully clear Hasegawa's canopies are.
  4. VFX2 License - What's up with that? Yamato releases the blue VF-19A and Konig Monster then says "Oops, we might not have been allowed to make these?!"

Now onto some fanboy questions...

5. Model Licensing - How feasible would it be for Yamato to obtain a model license? The only reason I ask is that I think a lot of people would be interested in buying pre-painted unassembled Yamato products, possibly on sprues. My primary reason would be to avoid overtightened screws, cracks and stress marks right out of the factory. Yamato would be able to save money on assembly costs and the packaging would be so much smaller and cheaper. Again, customizers would love it too.
  6. Quality Control Quality Control Quality Control - With rising pricetags, a lot of us are understandably expecting higher quality control. Yamato is getting better, but could you see if Yamato would be willing to send 4 - 5 MW members early production samples for testing? The members chosen should be held confidential and be required to sign NDA's, but this way we can know Yamato toys can withstand "American" handling. All signs indicate that we handle our toys more often, and perhaps more roughly, than our Japanese counterparts. Stuff that may not worry Japanese QC testers Americans may see as a red flag. The members chosen should have already demonstrated a good understanding of toy structure and aircraft design. nightmareB4macross and David Hingtgen come to mind. I know I'd be willing to buy a 1st release if I knew it had been tested by fellow MW'ers, but as it is now I just wait for 2nd or 3rd releases.

My vote for input and questions is.

Thank them for us for all they have done so far.

In the past I think that it had been mentioned that they might be considering an SDF-1 as a grand finale for the Macross line. Will they do it, and if they are giving it serious consideration, will they do it in T.V. or DYRL? style?

Yamato had created a 1/60(?) Destroid Monster several years ago and showed it at a convention booth, has that concept/project been formally cancelled?

Have they given serious consideration to Destroids and Enemy Mecha, such as the Regult Battle Pod?

Graham, please be sure to tell them thank you for continuing to produce Macross toys. Even though some of them may be better received then others, the fact is that they are still Valkyries, and I still love seeing new ones come out. With that having been said:

1. Is there any remote possibility that Yamato might consider negotiating for the Macross 7 license? I don't know how reluctant Bandai may be to relinquish it, but they certainly don't seem to be doing anything with it.

2. I'd like to see more on the upcoming YF-21.

3. Any chance for a reactive armor for the VF-0?

1) Perfect transformation 1/60 VF-1

2) 1/60 VF-11

3) I too would like to know if my scheme SV-51 is a real possibility or just a pipe dream......and if it does happen....could I get one for free? :D or at least put my name on it!!

Chris

Ask them if they are going to produce a 1/60 scale VF-0 with improved shoulder joints. I'm still holding off purchasing any VF-0, hoping the problem is eventually solved.

Other than that, I'd ask if they have any plans to produce a smaller scale line of Macross Valkyries.

1. Have Yamato acquired, or are they in the process of acquiring, or do they even have any plans to try to acquire the license for producing toys of the mecha from the upcoming Macross series?

2. Is there any interest on Yamato's part to acquire a license to M7?

3. Will Yamato be making alternate paint schemes for their current and future crop of 1/60 VF's based on game licenses and/or one-offs like LV1 & 2 and Stealth from the 1/48 line?

4. As many have mentioned, other VFs would be welcome; so, do they even contemplate the possibility of making toys of the VF-4, VF-5000, VF-9, VF-14, etc? After the current possible mechs are exhausted from the licenses they hold, of course.

5. Will they ever consider making the Destroids from M0 and SDF in either 1/48 or 1/60 scale? And how about enemy mecha?

Edited by mechaninac

one can dream, right?

in 1/60

- VF-1 perfect transformation

- a few optional removable service panels

- mini-missile detail in the FPs like in the 1/48

- optional clear fastpacks

the questions raised earlier are probably much more sensible, so mine's probably for after everyone's had a number of beers..

cheers!

Graham master flash,

I forgot one more thing.

I am sure that I am not alone in wanting this, even though no body has mentioned it yet (unless I skipped it by accident).

"Will you please make a TV green colored Quedluun Rau"? Please? That would be nice.

Of course my first question (previously in the thread) about wanting them to make a Regult is my main wish.

I do recall many people wanting more zentraedi, meltraendi and any enemy figures.

Thanks again master....

Anything about 1/60 VF-11B, more zentraedi mecha(I'm a huge fan of DYRL nosjadeul-ger) and the new series. Thank's Graham. Oh I almost forget it! Please ask them why they didn't make the VF-1 exhaust detail lineart accurate?