The Transformers 2 Thread--A Michael Bay thread

areaseven

Transformers 2  

238 members have voted

1. 1. Now that you've seen Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, what did you think of it?

• It was better than the first.
    • It was worse than the first.
    • Who cares?! Both movies suck!
    • Me Grimlock still want stomp Michael Bay!
  2. 2. How many times have you seen this film so far?

• Once. That's it.
    • 2-3 times.
    • 4-5 times.
    • I lost count.
    • Zero. I'll just rent it later this year.
    • Zero. You ain't paying me to watch that crap.
  3. 3. Given its current box office numbers, will this film eventually surpass The Dark Knight and/or Titanic in ticket sales?

• It'll overtake The Dark Knight, but that's it.
    • That ship is going down!
    • Not a chance.

Eugimon, for what it's worth, I didn't find it condescending.

As for the rest of it, I was simply trying to say there were a lot of people(who for the sake of the argument are mostly in this thread) who had it dead and buried before it came out and it seems to me that even after seeing it some are hating it just out of principle alone.

We all can't love the same things, that's what makes it interesting. It's just how someone people go about sharing the opposite opinion it is what bugs sometimes.

Edited by Chewie

this is brilliant

TF2 FAQ

Thanks. From the Q&A:

What is the status of the Transformers at the beginning of the film?

The Autobots have joined the military to hunt down the Decepticons. We're told the Decepticons are "doing things," but they appear to be hiding peacefully when the Autobots show up and brutally murder them.

What?

Yeah. The Decepticons aren't apparently doing anything, then the Autobots show up, the Decepticons run for their goddamn lives, and the Autobots hunt them down and brutally murder them. It's kind of weird.

This is my point from a few pages back. Nice to see there are a few more people who thought that was odd.

What is the status of the Transformers at the beginning of the film?

The Autobots have joined the military to hunt down the Decepticons. We're told the Decepticons are "doing things," but they appear to be hiding peacefully when the Autobots show up and brutally murder them.

What?

Yeah. The Decepticons aren't apparently doing anything, then the Autobots show up, the Decepticons run for their goddamn lives, and the Autobots hunt them down and brutally murder them. It's kind of weird.

LOL

Why would I agree with you on that? Why would/should "most people"?

To be clear, I'm with Chewie and the group who's position is summed up as, "despite the film's flaws, watching Revenge of the Fallen was an enjoyable experience for me." I'll go so far as to admit a chuckle when Jetfire farted his chute, and when Simmons found himself staring at Devestator's balls.

But the movie did have its problems. That's not to say that the first one didn't, but I generally found them to be more irritating in RotF. The ones that specifically bothered me the most was the whole using the Allspark fragment to revive Jetfire to find the Matrix to resurrect Prime instead of using the shard to resurrect Prime, the brevity of a lot of the robots' screen time, and the super annoying racist twins. So to that end, I thought the first one was better.

Sorry, when I quoted you, I was really just referring to the quote you posted. I wasn't meaning to associate you specifically with the comments I made. My bad.

I just meant that in general, I think most people say #2 was better than #1, but since #1 was an atrocity, that's not saying much.

Eugimon, for what it's worth, I didn't find it condescending.

As for the rest of it, I was simply trying to say there were a lot of people(who for the sake of the argument are mostly in this thread) who had it dead and buried before it came out and it seems to me that even after seeing it some are hating it just out of principle alone.

We all can't love the same things, that's what makes it interesting. It's just how someone people go about sharing the opposite opinion it is what bugs sometimes.

Yeah, thanks, I thought we were having a friendly conversation. And don't get me wrong, I'm well aware of the "bay sucks bandwagon". I'm not on that wagon, I just didn't like the movie and talking about it is cathartic for me. :lol:

I should point out one thing.

Despite being released 19th June, the earliest in the world (along with the UK and Ireland), as far as I can tell this movie has NOT reached the No.1 spot in Japan, and it is already falling. It entered the chart at No.2, behind "Rookies" which had dominated the top spot for 4 or 5 weeks already (except for a brief instant when "Terminator's Salivation" entered at number 1). I dunno, but that doesn't sound too good.

BTW, "Rookies" was knocked off the top spot recently to be replaced by the new "Evangelion" movie. Thus, I'm guessing the Japanese are more excited by the continuing adventures of that whinging brat Shinji, non-transforming robots, and.. er... baseball, rather than "Toransufoma Ribenji", as they entitled it over here.

call me weird but i actually liked the new movie (dodges bottles and knives)

there are a few reasons why i did, first off the most explosions per minute i have seen in recent memory, the autobots go from defense to offense with lethal results, shia did not say no once in the entire film to my recollection as opposed to 78 times in the last one, it fit as a sequel quite well in regards to the first bay film, it had everything a 12 year old boy would want except for a megan fox side boob shot, the plot except for the whole shard prime resurrection thing went together ok.... and finally better robot designs.

is it a cinematic opus that should win 11 oscars no, was it one of the better sequels put out in the last 9 months or so yes.

the twins remind of the two busboys in waiting more than anything else.

just saying that it was also made to get children to get there parents to buy anything with a transformers logo on it.... :ph34r:

I'm not really surprised, I seem to recall a discussion in one of the TF threads here where we discussed TF by and large being bigger outside Japan. At least that's how I think the line of conversation went.

yeah, it's funny how it flips back and forth, for a while the only pulse the franchise had was in Japan.

It's a fun summer movie with lots of explosions and cool visuals. Just enjoy it for what it is and don't think too much about it.

Nah, way too sub-par to even fit into that category......

Taksraven

Edited by taksraven

It's a fun summer movie with lots of explosions and cool visuals. Just enjoy it for what it is and don't think too much about it.

I've heard and read this "Summer Movie Theory" about two hundred times in the last week, even from my wife right after watching ROTF, but it just doesn't work that way. I pretty much loathed ROTF and if it's only because I 'don't enjoy summer movies and can't take them for what they are' then based on that logic I shouldn't have enjoyed Iron Man, Hulk, Hellboy II and Dark Knight last year. But I enjoyed all of those films immensely.

I've heard and read this "Summer Movie Theory" about two hundred times in the last week, even from my wife right after watching ROTF, but it just doesn't work that way. I pretty much loathed ROTF and if it's only because I 'don't enjoy summer movies and can't take them for what they are' then based on that logic I shouldn't have enjoyed Iron Man, Hulk, Hellboy II and Dark Knight last year. But I enjoyed all of those films immensely.

Same thing here - wife & all (although I haven't seen Dark Knight yet).

I can't subscribe to the 'dumb escapist fun' excuse, because I typically find I need to escape FROM Teh Dumb, rather than deeper into it.

No one should feel bad hammering this crap pile of a movie, either. When you've consumed something, the more rotten it is, the longer and more violently you're likely to vomit.

But it's not an all or nothing thing. From your example, we both enjoyed Hulk, Iron Man, and the Dark Knight. I enjoyed RotF, but you didn't. And you liked Hellboy II, but I didn't.

Summer movies have some similarities, like action, a bit of comedic elements, and escapism. That doesn't mean you have to like them all to like any, any more than you have to like all anime or all video games.

No, none of the scout figures aside from Scapel and Ejector appear in the movie.

Knockout appears in the prequel novel.

Like the first movies prequel novel, not bad, but kind of dull, and really lends NOTHING to the movie (in fact, kind of confuses some elements).

But it's not an all or nothing thing. From your example, we both enjoyed Hulk, Iron Man, and the Dark Knight. I enjoyed RotF, but you didn't. And you liked Hellboy II, but I didn't.

Summer movies have some similarities, like action, a bit of comedic elements, and escapism. That doesn't mean you have to like them all to like any, any more than you have to like all anime or all video games.

That was exactly my point. So many people have said, "Just take ROTF for what it is, a dumb summer movie" and I'm saying there is more to it than that because my dislike for ROTF isn't because I'm not taking it for what it is. I'm fully capable of enjoying dumb summer movies or I wouldn't have gotten any enjoyment from the ones I listed (and many others), since they were all essentially dumb summer movies. :)

That was exactly my point. So many people have said, "Just take ROTF for what it is, a dumb summer movie" and I'm saying there is more to it than that because my dislike for ROTF isn't because I'm not taking it for what it is. I'm fully capable of enjoying dumb summer movies or I wouldn't have gotten any enjoyment from the ones I listed (and many others), since they were all essentially dumb summer movies. :)

And that's fine. I'm not trying to change your mind. I'm just saying that "dumb summer movie" might not work for you, but it is apparently working for others, myself included.

It seems to me, at times, that this thread seems like more of a heated debate than it actually is. People are coming in here and saying why they did or didn't like the movie. I think it's important to step back and remember that that's all most of use are trying to do... offer an opinion, and offer the reasoning behind that opinion. I don't think anyone's actually coming here to change anyone else's minds, even though one "I hate it because..." post followed by one "I liked it because..." post appears to be debate.

And that's fine. I'm not trying to change your mind. I'm just saying that "dumb summer movie" might not work for you, but it is apparently working for others, myself included.

The only thing I was trying to convey was that I was tired of being told and seeing other people be told that they didn't enjoy ROTF because they weren't "taking it for what it was - a dumb summer movie". I did take it for that, and I still didn't like it.

The only thing I was trying to convey was that I was tired of being told and seeing other people be told that they didn't enjoy ROTF because they weren't "taking it for what it was - a dumb summer movie". I did take it for that, and I still didn't like it.

Which is fine. I agree; just because it's a dumb summer movie doesn't mean you have to like it, or that you're expecting too much from it or taking it the wrong way. It just means you don't like it.

On another note, what's up with the poll? I voted in the original way back when, so I automatically can't vote in the two new ones?

On another note, what's up with the poll? I voted in the original way back when, so I automatically can't vote in the two new ones?

Yep. We will need to open a new thread with a new poll to be able to vote again.

I dont understand. Jetfire died a long time ago. But it had to have been AFTER the creation of the SR-71???? How else did he take on the configuration of such a plane? Okay, so that sets his death after the 50's. Now you have to consider how he managed to get away with being disguised as a rather rare military vehicle, especially when they started becoming decommissioned... Where they generally have a lot of components removed, and their internals checked. THEY WOULD HAVE FOUND OUT HE WAS A TRANSFORMER. Not only that, he wouldn't be able to hide from any inspections either... Since he's friggin dead. Even if the government knew about transformers (ala the explanation of frozen megatron in T1), then they wouldn't keep Jetfire in a museum. Instead, they'd lock him up with Megatron... And probably speak about Jetfire's existence in the first movie.

Man this... This is just too much. What the fart. How do you screw up a SR-71, I have no idea. Thanks for making the movie feel like a poor tack on, Bay. Even if Bay cannot be blamed for not doing research on the Transformers beforehand.. You'd think he'd actually think about the real life vehicles they take after.

Edited by Cent

I dont understand. Jetfire died a long time ago. But it had to have been AFTER the creation of the SR-71???? How else did he take on the configuration of such a plane? Okay, so that sets his death after the 50's. Now you have to consider how he managed to get away with being disguised as a rather rare military vehicle, especially when they started becoming decommissioned... Where they generally have a lot of components removed, and their internals checked. THEY WOULD HAVE FOUND OUT HE WAS A TRANSFORMER. Not only that, he wouldn't be able to hide from any inspections either... Since he's friggin dead. Even if the government knew about transformers (ala the explanation of frozen megatron in T1), then they wouldn't keep Jetfire in a museum. Instead, they'd lock him up with Megatron... And probably speak about Jetfire's existence in the first movie.

Man this... This is just too much. What the fart. How do you screw up a SR-71, I have no idea. Thanks for making the movie feel like a poor tack on, Bay. Even if Bay cannot be blamed for not doing research on the Transformers beforehand.. You'd think he'd actually think about the real life vehicles they take after.

It all works. See, there's a UFO conspiracy theory that says that we only learned how to build jet engines from UFOs, well that's what Jetfire is! He actually died in his cybertronian mode and then we found him like that and reverse engineered him and then we hung up his corpse as a trophy to tell other cybertronians not to f@ck with us.

See? Now it makes perfect sense.

It all works. See, there's a UFO conspiracy theory that says that we only learned how to build jet engines from UFOs, well that's what Jetfire is! He actually died in his cybertronian mode and then we found him like that and reverse engineered him and then we hung up his corpse as a trophy to tell other cybertronians not to f@ck with us.

We must have reverse engineered "The Wheel" the same way too. :lol:

... Not much of a 'disguise' if you were found with an alt mode that was the first of a kind. So much for robots in disguise. How about robots as whatever the hell we feel like we wanna be, like a space tank ala Megatron.

Argh. Its hard to hate this movie more than I already do. The only thing good to have come out of it was the OST... Which they basically ripped off entirely for T2 btw.

Edited by Cent

... Not much of a 'disguise' if you were found with an alt mode that was the first of a kind. So much for robots in disguise. How about robots as whatever the hell we feel like we wanna be, like a space tank ala Megatron.

Argh. Its hard to hate this movie more than I already do. The only thing good to have come out of it was the OST... Which they basically ripped off entirely for T2 btw.

To paraphrase something I read in one of the Dune books, when faced with the illogical the only logical choice is to abandon logic.

:lol:

no, I'm even more confused. I thought Jetfire was in the movie and dies at the end, wouldn't he have to be ALIVE at one point to die later? damnit I really need to go see this just so I can understand what the heck you're talking about.

no, I'm even more confused. I thought Jetfire was in the movie and dies at the end, wouldn't he have to be ALIVE at one point to die later? damnit I really need to go see this just so I can understand what the heck you're talking about.

he is alive, right after he was dead and then he's dead again.

His spark was almost runout and the cube fragment basically re-fuled him. So he was kinda dead, then alive and then sadly dead again. Bad move in my opinion, he is one of the favorite characters from G1. So in the next film will the Bay-ticon off another well regarded Autobot ?

So is it safe to say that all Autobots lived in this movie save for Jetfire (who was still pretty much a Con)?

Was Arcee made u of three bikes or just two. I remember seeing three for some reason but there were only two at the end.

There's three Arcee bikes, pink, blue, and purple... one of them takes an absolutely devastating hit while helping Sam and Fox evade the 'Cons, never to be seen from again. It was actually pretty sweet, bc/ with their spindly bot modes, the big hit just trounces the poor Autobot...