How much light is 'too much light'...

drkstar00

I'm sure even indirect light can cause problems...

My office window faces north so it doesn't get any direct sunlight, but it gets a lot of light because I don't have any shade/curtains. The window has a 12" sill and I have had it full of trophies since I moved into my house three years ago. I just checked the back side of them and the faux gold parts are not faded at all which I would think that if they were in direct sunlight they would have. There are also little "Made in" stickers in the back side of some of them and the sticker material is your standard paper crap sticker. They have not faded in the least either. I'm sure they would have faded in direct sunlight. Probably to the point where they lost all color.

My $.02

I kept my display cases in a room where the window was always shuttered and I made sure that the only side light could come into the cases was the front and the sides that faced other cases. All light is bad. The thing to remember though is sometimes it doesn't matter.... some times plastic just wants to deteriorate.

I wonder... is there some kind of clear coat spray for models/toys that protects agianst this kind of thing? It would have to be really thin to not hinder any transformation etc.

I wonder if this would work. Maybe someday I will do water decal, pencil panel lining, and use this spray coat.

http://krylon.com/main/product_template.cf...product_details

I also heard someone using UV protective film for automobile on the display case windows.

My valks are in storage space so it's perfectly protected, though it's not much fun. :ph34r:

Edited by konimon

My '60 scale Super VF-1J has been in a locked closet since I purchased it, and it's already beginning to yellow. I also have some '55 Strikes that are stored in a similar fashion and they're also yellowing. There's more to this problem than just light...

My '60 scale Super VF-1J has been in a locked closet since I purchased it, and it's already beginning to yellow. I also have some '55 Strikes that are stored in a similar fashion and they're also yellowing. There's more to this problem than just light...

it also depends on the pigments used to color the plastic. It's very likely that the pigments are reacting with the oxygen in the air and breaking down.

Damn, now I gotta check all my YAMMIES! I wonder though how much deterioration the YAMATO valks are prone to? I just don't wanna have to resort to keeping 'em locked up in a(n) airtight vault or something just to keep them all pristine :blink: !

Edited by connor99

Damn, now I gotta check all my YAMMIES! I wonder though how much deterioration the YAMATO valks are prone to? I just don't wanna have to resort to keeping 'em locked up in a(n) airtight vault or something just to keep them all pristine :blink: !

the 1/60 vf-1 series seems to be very prone to yellowing, with or without exposure to UV. my 1/48s seem to be holding up well though.

I wonder... is there some kind of clear coat spray for models/toys that protects agianst this kind of thing? It would have to be really thin to not hinder any transformation etc.

Sunblock? SPF15 :p

And just think, their "skin" will be silky smooth.

ahh duuuudeee, that's an awesome emoticon!!!!!!

I saved it, and i just add it to my photobucket. lol like the others... coz someone won't give me a direct link. :ph34r:

Is that what you did? Save them and re-upload them. :p

Here you go. hmmm, looks like the one you posted is new isn't it?!.

Wait, there's more?!post6641188413844ql8.gif

No..no...there is no direct link, just save all the emoticons as you see them. Save into your hard-drive and insert it as a pic. No tricks or secrets.

ahh duuuudeee, that's an awesome emoticon!!!!!!

I saved it, and i just add it to my photobucket. lol like the others... coz someone won't give me a direct link. :ph34r:

Is that what you did? Save them and re-upload them. :p

I was just wondering if any of you guys use those Compact Fluorescent Lightbulbs, those energy saving ones that have the big base, cost more initially, but save on electricity.

I've replaced most bulbs in the house with the energy saving ones, and was fine with them until I heard somewhere that someone had their collection get messed up because of the light. I went reading around and found that the fluorescent type lightbulbs give off UV, not as bad as the sun, but still a substantial amount. This got me cursing a lot, since I didn't know this and have had that kind of light shining down on a great deal of my collection for I don't know how long. :(

So my question to those of you that have been using this type of lightbulb near your collection, have you noticed any fading/discoloring/sun-type-damage on your figures, valkyries, prop replicas, etc?

you mean before right? :p I always wash my hands before attempting transformation cycles and/or display posing.

I almost was going to invest in some CSI gloves (lol) when i was working heaps and i had cuts and nasty stuff on my hands haha.

Oh yes, sorry man :p I mean before. I can imagine a guy eating cheetos and transforming a brand new DYRL 1/48 at the same time. :lol:

But it's obviously not your case.

Uh-oh. Does the Yamato manual say not to do this? What about Doritos? Does Yamato have anything to say about Doritos? :o

you make a joke now, but sooner or later, some emo will really piss and moan about yamato not being nacho cheese power proof.