Terminator Salvation, colon, Really Long Movie Title

bsu legato

Thats always another classic SF stuff up, having technology that is clearly going to take a VERY long time to develop in era's that are a little bit *too* close to the present day. ( In other words, budding SF authors, if you want to have humans with giant robots, battlecruisers, and really fancy ray guns, unless we get the technology from aliens, DONT set your story in 2015!)

Taksraven

yup yup. What's interesting is that if Cameron had planned ahead a little, the terminator universe actually has a handy built mechanism for explaining advanced technology in the near future. He could of had the first judgement day in the like 2050 or something with an old John Conner and then in T2, have judgement day moved up with a middle aged John because people reverse engineered the terminator that came back and so on. So with every sequel, the level of technology gets upgraded as present day scientists get their hands on progressively more complex technology from the future.

yup yup. What's interesting is that if Cameron had planned ahead a little, the terminator universe actually has a handy built mechanism for explaining advanced technology in the near future. He could of had the first judgement day in the like 2050 or something with an old John Conner and then in T2, have judgement day moved up with a middle aged John because people reverse engineered the terminator that came back and so on. So with every sequel, the level of technology gets upgraded as present day scientists get their hands on progressively more complex technology from the future.

Just like Scotty "inventing" transparent aluminium in Star Trek IV!

Taksraven

yup yup. What's interesting is that if Cameron had planned ahead a little, the terminator universe actually has a handy built mechanism for explaining advanced technology in the near future. He could of had the first judgement day in the like 2050 or something

To be fair, 2029 probably seemed like a long way in the future, back in 1984.

And the fact that these flashback/future war scenes are still a decade away from the point in the altered timeline means nothing, then? Huh....some people are really bizarrely selective when it comes to suspending disbelief.

There's T-800s running around in the trailer, which were a later war development. Infiltrators overall were a later development, with the T-800s being the newest, best of these performing the role. Even the first movie blatantly says it with Reese's revelation of the future and describing the Terminators overall.

I was griping originally about the guys producing the props and such as being lazy. Now thanks to you, I'm leaning also towards the writers being lazy since they're disregarding what's been established in the movies :lol:

Edited by Warmaker

again... this is not the same future as seen in terminator and terminator 2 or terminator 3 or in the tv show.... it says so right in the beginning of the trailer.

It's not laziness or whatever, it's just different. Even in terminator 2 and terminator 3 the characters talk about how the specifics regarding judgement day and the future war were changed. In the TV show, two characters outright speculate if they come from different timelines.

when you change things in the past, it changes the future... it's kinda one of the basic plot points of the movies. You can't complain about them not sticking to continuity when the whole point of the movie is not sticking to continuity.

again... this is not the same future as seen in terminator and terminator 2 or terminator 3 or in the tv show.... it says so right in the beginning of the trailer.

Yes, but it's John saying it. And how would he know if he'd never been to the future?

Yes, but it's John saying it. And how would he know if he'd never been to the future?

How would sarah know either for that matter. It's a throw away line designed to tell the audience not to get hung up on continuity.

And even without that line, every terminator sequel including the TV show has made it clear that the specific events in the future gets affected and changed by what happens in the past. There's just no need to get hung up on continuity when it comes to terminator because it's pretty clear they aren't bound to the "rules" of special relativity time travel.

All this kvetching about terminator hand weapons will pretty much evaporate when people see the movie.

SKYNET LOVES US.

with so much that looks questionable to this movie, I too am confused how we settled on plasma weapons as the one thing to hang our coats on.

This movie is in a very unique situation, it can actually be viewed as a Prequel or a sequel. If the terminator franchise turns into a 6 film saga with T4,5 and 6 taking place in the "future" and having Kyle sent to the past in 6 you could actualy watch them in two sequences

T4-T5-T6-T1-T2-T3

or

T1-T2-T3-T4-T5-T6

And it would create an infinity loop that mimicks the paradox of the time travel scenario within the storyline...

Kinda cool...

• 2 weeks later...
Not that I'm looking forward to this movie but this kinda sucks...

Gizmodo has an article with designs and in one of the drawings it shows a terminator model named Markus and then in the next pic is a guy named Markus talking to John Connor.... uhhh gee, you think?

http://i.gizmodo.com/photogallery/terminator4/1006604977

I thought the article was from Wired.. Gizmodo was just dumb enough to copy/paste them.

More Terminator Toys

The A-10 looks nice so long as you don't show the figure inside....whoa......more out of scale than the Rattler! At least the canopy isn't freaking huge, and the proportions are good.

man that looks bad,

this sucker looks awesome though

http://api.ning.com/files/N6d58n31IGT9kDvD.../203214954.jpeg

Edited by anime52k8

wow. they really used the Robocop 2 torso for the giant endo thing?

yup. that pretty much nails the lazy production.

post-2535-1233592931_thumb.jpeg post-2535-1233593055_thumb.jpeg

those look a lot like props from a cheap sci-fi B movie to me.

terrible.

aside from the cheap props, the endo toys look pretty decent.

i think i want a bunch of those T800's. a Terminator squad maybe.

i hope those aren't the hard-to-find ones when they hit the retailers.

I wonder do terminator endo toys sell much though. As a kid, i was really afraid of the endoskeletons and wouldn't even dream of buying the toys (if they had any). I wonder if these toys will be sold well to kids. :lol:

I use to have several of them when the second movie came out. My mom spoiled me, i was one of those when I saw combiner transformers like the stunticons and what not, would have my mom go thru all the pegs to find all the figures so I could it the damn thing together.

She would spend an hour and a half and bugging associates on getting that last piece.

Sort of the same thing with Terminator figures, I was obsessed with the Endoskeleton so she would find me anything related to it including this like playset where you mix in some powder and water and you put one of these two endoskeletons into a mold container and poof you get slick slimey skin, then just peal it off for battle damage.

Sort of the same thing with Terminator figures, I was obsessed with the Endoskeleton so she would find me anything related to it including this like playset where you mix in some powder and water and you put one of these two endoskeletons into a mold container and poof you get slick slimey skin, then just peal it off for battle damage.

Woah....they have a toy like that??? Sounds pretty cool. Was it one of those Kenner toys?

you gotta hear this

John Connor dropping honey bunches of F-Bombs....A.K.A. Christian Bale had a bad day on set

0.o;;

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed.....

wow. that's really something. angry angry Connorbale.

i wanna know which scene this happens on :lol:

i think the endo toys are gonna sell better this time around.

they might not sell to kids, but they will to older fans.

i remember the old T2 toys even had a 2nd run with them being marketed as the good guys.

the good guy endos were gold & had a number or year tattooed on them,

and the bad guys were... aliens.