Animeigo's or ADV's Remastered SDF Macross

Jepoyako

A friend who steals your Macross DVD's is no friend! You didn't give him the lenticolor card did you?

I did actually - it's not so much that he stole it as just that I haven't been in touch with him lately to ever get it back.

Either way, until I do, I figure it will be nice to get another set in the meantime.

-Zadillo

hey elektrix..if you are going to order the new boxset, you probably should right away, the site says low stock...atleast it did earlier. Im sure at that price, they are flying out of the warehouse.

You can get them all over. I found both at Bestbuy at reduced prices not long ago.

hey elektrix..if you are going to order the new boxset, you probably should right away, the site says low stock...atleast it did earlier. Im sure at that price, they are flying out of the warehouse.
Yeah and once their stock is gone they won't be able to sell anymore since this was just leftover stock from the days Animeigo had the license.

I'm suprised it taken nearly a year for it to completly sellout, hurry up guys, looks like these next months will be most fan's last chance to own this version.

I prefer the much more colorful cover art of the ADV release over both of the Animeigo versions. The issue of box art however is about as subjective of a reason for someone to buy one of these box sets as I think you could possibly come up with.

• 3 weeks later...
I could NOT resist the $40 pricetag.

Neither could I. Saw this thread and ordered on the weekend. Got it today. Outside of getting the shipped notice this morning (and nothing before), had me scratching my head, though. Glad to see it. Liner notes are a nice treat. My first Standard Def DVD purchase in well over a year, if not close to two... but just too good to pass up. Probably go through the whole series again this week. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I just ordered 4 sets. Maybe some day they will be worth something..........or maybe not B))

4 sets! wow... seem like a good investment, but it must be in like 5-10 years or something when they become really rare and the avid collector antique dude will invest in a probably obsolete DVD technology disc set

by the way, sqidd how much have you spend on Macross stuff this past few months, sounds like a fortune

4 sets! wow... seem like a good investment, but it must be in like 5-10 years or something when they become really rare and the avid collector antique dude will invest in a probably obsolete DVD technology disc set

by the way, sqidd how much have you spend on Macross stuff this past few months, sounds like a fortune

Yeah, I was figuring it would take a while but I can wait, the boxes look good. I will put them at the back of some shelves to act as a backdrop for a while. As long as I keep them shrink wraped they should "keep" just fine if they don't get any direct light.....I think. At $40 I couldn't pass it up though. I can be certain of one thing, I can always sell them for the $40/ set I have in them.

You had to go and make me think about how much I have spent didn't ya! :p

I got my first Macross toy late July. I am sitting at my desk right now looking at my collection and my rough guestimate is that I spent somewhere around $6000. I spent a lot in the beginning and have slowed down lately though. I have just about everything that strikes my fancy now. I am just waiting on my two Nora's, VF-1S 25th, VF-19 25th, Max and Millia and one or two YF-21's. After I have those I think I will be done for a while unless I stumble across some mint old collectors stuff.

Once I have everything and I know how much space it will take up I am going to weld up a fancy pants shelving system that does the collection some justice. That should keep me busy for a while :)

I have also started on a model of a YF-19. I am trying to improve my modeling/painting skills. The models are cheap and take a long time to do with my schedule which will reduce the money I spend on Macross stuff considerably.

yeah, I hear ya, I started about a year and a half ago and spend close to 3000 dollars in just a few months and decided to try to slow down, actually, shipping prices were killing me, got me a nice shelf to display and that yelled 'you've run out of space so quit it', and now I've turn to modelling since the selection is much wider... but I keep getting this rare 100+ macross resin models so still spending quite a bit...

I have the Madman version as well, but I was always concerned about the quality of the visuals in the episode "Bye Bye Mars". It appears sub-par when compared to other episodes, and I have compared it with my old Japanese VHS tapes and they have much more vibrant colours in this one episode. I was wondering if the Animeigo release suffers the same problem. I know they SHOULD be the same, but apparently the menus and packaging are all different and stuff...

Someone said the Madman was a six disc set, whereas the Animeigo set in nine. Assuming it's single layer like Animeigo (they need a better icehouse), then you'd definitely chalk up some possible compression issues.

Animeigo is the set to get, better sound, director commentary, cover art that focuses on the characters and doesn't look like Robotech Covers v2.

Hi guys, first time posting in a while. Hopefully I'm not reposting old news, or in the wrong place.

I recently became aware of this Macross boxset. I'm tempted to write it off as bootleg, but then its austrialian and it does link to the robotech website. Has anyone brought this?

Edited by Ork_dreadnought

Hi guys, first time posting in a while. Hopefully I'm not reposting old news, or in the wrong place.

I recently became aware of this Macross boxset. I'm tempted to write it off as bootleg, but then its austrialian and it does link to the robotech website. Has anyone brought this?

It isn't a bootleg - that's Madman's Region 4 release of the Animego remastered Macross talked about up-thread a bit. I've got it (got it off Ebay for £25 or thereabouts which was a pretty good price) and I am pretty happy with it. Can't directly compare it with the Animego version I'm afraid as I haven't owned that one, but I am pretty pleased with it in it's own right. The sound is nice and clean and the picture looks pretty good to my (admittedly only semi-educated) eye. (It is also rather well packaged compared to a lot of stuff I have on my shelves).

Karl

Ah, that's why I'm a newbie, I didn't check the thread before posting.

Thanks

I wouldn't worry about it. Happens to us all (I for one have a bad habit of being unable to spot what is right in front of my nose sometimes - literally. Lost my keys once - only to find them a half-hour later sitting on the coffee table in plain sight....).

Karl

• 6 months later...

So is the aussie madman version the way to go?

If not, I'm probably gonna get this:

http://www.robotech.com/store/viewproduct.php?id=93

The other one that everyone keeps on talking about is too expensive for me.

Also, how is this: http://www.madman.com.au/actions/catalogue...amp;method=view

Compared to the dvd release we have here?

Edited by fifbeat

The other one that everyone keeps on talking about is too expensive for me.

Also, how is this: http://www.madman.com.au/actions/catalogue...amp;method=view

Compared to the dvd release we have here?

:blink:?

:wacko:!

:rolleyes:...

The one that you say you're gonna get? That's the one you want. NOW HURRY UP AND GET IT ALREADY! :p

fifbeat... You do realize Australia is Region 4, and a PAL region, right? So long as you have a TV and DVD player that'll play it...

The one that you say you're gonna get? That's the one you want. NOW HURRY UP AND GET IT ALREADY! :p

It'll make you feeeeeeeeeel gooooood... It'll open your eyeeeeees maaaaaaaaaan.

Just typing that I feel like I need a shower...

Do not deny yourself the 40 dollar set. It's the best around. A real steal. HG made a small fortune selling it at AX 06 (at least, to the people like me that realised that the director was there willing to sign it).

The one that you say you're gonna get? That's the one you want. NOW HURRY UP AND GET IT ALREADY!

I will. I just gotta get through my Mospeada set first. You know, everytime I have a bunch of un-watched DVDs sitting around, they NEVER get watched. So I'm making sure I watch stuff before I buy new stuff. =)

It'll make you feeeeeeeeeel gooooood... It'll open your eyeeeeees maaaaaaaaaan.

Are you saying that Macross (and not Robotech) will get me high? (and get me off?)

Do not deny yourself the 40 dollar set. It's the best around. A real steal. HG made a small fortune selling it at AX 06 (at least, to the people like me that realised that the director was there willing to sign it).

IT's not $40 anymore. :(

fifbeat... You do realize Australia is Region 4, and a PAL region, right? So long as you have a TV and DVD player that'll play it...

Yeah. I have a DVD player that plays any region and converts PAL to NTSC. They gave away these cool dvd players when I was enrolled with the Robotech Defense Force.

"the AnimEigo restoration also went as far as to stabilize frames and remove all film splices!"

What does this mean?? LOL

Edited by fifbeat

Damn I was at that AX, albeit flat broke. It was so convenient badges were falling off left and right that year :blink:

Are you saying that Macross (and not Robotech) will get me high? (and get me off?)

Yes. Quite possibly to the point of going on a roof and yelling something like "I am a golden Valkyrie!!!"

It's enlightening. It might be hard, knowing you've been lied to all those years. It's like finding out dad wasn't really that trucker mom met hitching a ride to Houston, who died fighting a tire fire when you were 3, but actually mom's cousin Jim one night she was hammered off peach schnapps.

You'll probably be a little angry. Anytime you see the word "Robotech" you might vomit a little in your mouth. It's natural. You may cry yourself to sleep, or burn effegies of Carl Macek. But you'll never know, if you don't...

HURRY UP AND GET IT ALREADY! :p

...I'm in a really odd mood today.

It's enlightening. It might be hard, knowing you've been lied to all those years. It's like finding out dad wasn't really that trucker mom met hitching a ride to Houston, who died fighting a tire fire when you were 3, but actually mom's cousin Jim one night she was hammered off peach schnapps.

You'll probably be a little angry. Anytime you see the word "Robotech" you might vomit a little in your mouth. It's natural. You may cry yourself to sleep, or burn effegies of Carl Macek. But you'll never know, if you don't...

LOL! Great way to put it.

I don't know... I'll wait til I see it. But Robotech means a lot to me. The music. Some of the voice acting...

We'll see. =)

It's not 40 any more? (checks site) Wow, they upped it to 60. That's still better than the ADV set.

I know what you mean about the badges. :lol: Though I never had an issue with mine.

The only downside to having him sign it was that I wanted to get one of the MW metal boxes, after which I'd give the box to my friend who was so enamored by it (you can buy it for 10 bucks now! 10 bucks for a lump of cardboard. LOL crazy anime fans). Now that it's signed, no dice on that. (I've seen had Mari Iijima and Hiroyuki Yamaga sign it as well).

As for what stabilizing means, Macross was made in the early 80s. Back then, cels were filmed a frams at a time, and then the film was edited together by hand. As such, both the filming and splicing method, usually done precariously, resulted in a tiny shake in shot changes and maybe a wobbling in scenes. The restorers digitally reframed it so that this didn't occur and painted or cropped out the splices. Evangelion was much the same way.

oh, Stray, that was f-ing hilarious. Thanks.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

What's the deal with some of the episodes of Macross... like, some of the artwork was really crappy. then it went back to good again. And this was just a few episodes....

anyone?

It's because the Macross gods hate you and your indecisive ways.

Edited by Gubaba