If Yamato did not make any Macross products ...

dafunguy

If Yamato did not make any Macross products, what Macross toys would you be collecting? Bandai? Toynami Masterpiece? Vintage items? Honestly, I don't really like any of those choices. Without Yamato, I know I wouldn't have much of the higher priced items (except probably the Wave SDF-1). I would probably have a bunch of CM's figures, Revoltech figures, 1/100 toynami's, and other smaller scaled stuff.

Makes you appreciate Yamato more now, huh? It would be really sad if Yamato was not around. So from now on, I don't want to hear anymore whining and Yamato bashing. Haha. Just be happy they're around producing cool stuff. You never know what you're going to miss until it's gone. OK, I'm going to my display case now to show some sweet love for my Yamato Macross Toys. (Get your minds out the gutter, not that kind of love)!

I simply adore Yamato's Macross collectible figures (or toys if you may). I think that they are just phenomenal! I am very happy that they exist. In fact it is like a dream come true. A dream from 1983 come true, for me in 2001 when I discovered the Macross valks and come true for me again when I got my first in the beginning of this year.

I know that there have been some problems but still I love them. Too much actually.

Edit: I forgot to answer the question. Probably the Bandai reissues, the CMS and the Revoltech like you say which I am collecting as well anyway.

Edited by miriya

if there wasn't yamato i'd have to learn how to make cool looking 1/72 macross models and i'd also have a larger squadron of hcm vf-1's with some being customized. maybe bandai would have made more reissues? <_<

I first noticed Yamato's Valk while browsing through the toys section of the main page. Compared to the VF toys from the other companies the Yamato's were by far the best representations of VF's. If Yamato's weren't around I probably would have forgotten about MW in a couple of weeks and not collect Macross toys or any other toys for that matter.

Funny that you mention that. I gave up toy collecting in about 2002, sold all of my vintage StarWars, Robotech, Macross, Tron, etc. Toys, all my comic books, all that stuff. Sold it all. I was over collecting. Then in 2006 after looking at Valkyrie exchange, Macross world and other sites photos of Yamato Valks I broke down and got one, then two then three then started collecting other toys, transformers, comic books, and got me back in the hobby. Funny the power it had. Like a curse or a blessing.

If YAMATO never came out with anything MACROSS, I would probably be collecting the BANDAI 1/55's. The first time I ever saw the chunky's I fell in love with them but could not afford them back then (damn, I was 9 yrs old at the time!).

IF Yamato wasn't around... i'd be a Sadddddddd Panda.

Seriously who would make my perfect 1/60 YF-21???? WHOOOOOOOOOOOO???? (cries to the skies)

Bandai... i guess that's my only choice.

I do remember as a kid seeing HG's old VF-1S Matchbox and thinking wow coooooollll. But i would doubt as a man now

i'd be interested. Bandai would win, Toynazi wouldn't be around i spose (love the 1/100's), Seriously Yamato live forever!!!!!!!!!

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

If Yamato wasn't doing VFs?

I wouldn't be collecting any of the toys.

But I still would hook up with the Hasegawa model kits and even have lots of money left over. Hasegawa needs to start going bigger scale with their Macross kits. 1/48 would be a good, mainstream, but big scale. But I want 1/32 B))

Edited by Warmaker

ooO yes, SOC's are very nice. But we are talking about Macross toys....

I wonder what would Bandai do if there was no Yamato? Would they have done an SOC Valk?

as far as i know, there still could be a Soul of Chogokin Valk one day. I believe many different companies hold part of the Macross rights, not just Yamato...

im probably wrong...so just ignore me.

If Yamato hadn't done valkyrie toys... I'd be buying everything I am now, minus the valkyries. That means scantily clad anime/manga/videogame figures, Saint Cloth Myth figures, and Star Wars stuff (about done on the Star Wars stuff though).

I'll damned well complain about Yamato and their shortcomings until they get things right a good deal of the time. Just because they're the only place that puts out the VF-0, SV-51, YF-19, and YF-21, doesn't mean I'm going to shut up about QC issues and engineering problems. :p I complain in the hopes that Yamato will listen to all of us complain when something went wrong that needs fixing or shouldn't have gone wrong in the first place.

If bandai gave the valkyrie chunky-monkeys the treatment they gave to the Saint Seiya Chunky-Monkey figures, then I'd be as good as sold! :) Especially if the price was more affordable than Yamato. If Bandai really put dedication into updated Macross and Macross 7 Valkyries, I think they could easily rival Yamato and put them at competitive prices. I'd definitely be in on a bandai take of the VF-1 (updated), VF-11C, VF-17, VF-22, and VF-5000 if done well.

Not that I expect Bandai to do such a thing. :p:(

If Yamato hadn't done valkyrie toys... I'd be buying everything I am now, minus the valkyries. That means scantily clad anime/manga/videogame figures, Saint Cloth Myth figures, and Star Wars stuff (about done on the Star Wars stuff though).

Star Wars collecting gets really expensive, really fast :lol:

If Yamato didn't make Macross transforming products, I likely wouldn't have any Valkyrie toy. So it'd be just like before Yamato came along when I had nothing. I definitely would have collected the Revoltechs though; I wanted one the first time I saw it and now I own the VF-1J Super. Fantastic little figure.

It's possible I may have purchased a Hasegawa model for the fighter mode, but very doubtful I would have painted it. I've assembled and painted models before and they all look like garbage.

The Macross license don't come cheap for an old, poorly maintained anime. I say poorly maintained because it had a wonderful start (SDF & DYRL) but was followed by forgettable sequels (M7, M+ & M0). Kawamori's mecha designs are the only thing that's keeping this franchise afloat. It's also the only reason why Big West priced the license so. It's not the kind of price tag that any smart toy-making marketing team can plan around without loosing sleep over.

Yamato seemed to have the right idea going with the resources as well as balls to gamble at first, but they couldn't keep up the good work of their CAD drawings with better materials choices and product support warranty. You basically have a parasitic license structure maintained by a subpar toymaker, whose products are sustained only by the virtue of great mecha designs and its perpetual adoring fans.

The only thing that is possibly keeping Bandai from making Macross VF toys is that it would be in conflict with Bandai's profitable relationship with Sotsu Sunrise - the master license owner of the Gundam franchise. If there is anything out there that would be as comprehensively diverse, suitably appealing and similar in heritage and in the mecha genre - to threaten the Gundam franchise for respectable market share and profits, it would be Macross VFs.

There are so MANY more worthy, similar-sized companies to Yamato in Japan, that not only delivered better quality products in their first releases. They just saw wisdom in making something else more profitable with less headache.

Big West and Yamato are like dance partners that are passed over and had no choice but to settle for each other, because everybody else in the party met their win-win suitors. They deserve each other.

Being a model builder I would have settled for the Hasegawa valks as this was my intension in the first place. I also would have gone for the bandi kits but not the 1/55's chunkies as they may do it for some but not me. As of november 2006 I was not on the net and never worried about what I was missing, then I spotted hasegawa valks on ebay and thought I have to have them. Once I purchased my first kits from HLJ and when my customers saw them they reverted to thier childhood and I've been building valks none stop since last november and the orders keep comming. So I would have been happy with just the kits but then I took the plunge and purchased a 1/48 VF-1S Roy and have never looked back, but if Yamato was never around I would have been happy just to build kits as my Yammies arrive get transformed and put in a display case to never be touched again, I don't play or transform them, they just get stared at and dusted from time to time when they need it. So I really could just get buy with kits even now if I wanted. Besides that if yamato wasn't around I'd have to find someone else to rant about, but I'm sure that wouldn't be hard. :p

If Yamato didn't make Macross toys I would have 1 Masterpiece Fokker with the Appendix A S&S parts and thats it. I got one off of eBay because I thought it would be neat to have something from tha show I loved as a kid.

After getting it I found this damn place and saw picturs of Yamato stuff. It's been downhill since then.

I got my Masterpiece Fokker the second week of July.

I purchased 21 Yamato Mechs since then :wacko:

Not to mention all the other Macross items like Chara works 1/144's, Doyusha 1/144's Revoltechs (14), Hot Toys figures (8)

..........someone stop me! :p

If Yamato had never gotten into the business of making Macross products I would never have gotten the Anime toy collecting bug and would be several thousand dollars richer today. That's not to say I resent spending all the money I've dumped into this hobby over the last few years, just stating a fact; the same fever that was instigated by Yamato's products has spread to other franchises that would have held little, if any, appeal to me otherwise... strange but true.