Yellow Submarine

vt102

This YS kit is a small but pretty detailed kit. It is from the PS game VF-X. It has a pilot (non-scale), base for the valkyrie and the valkyrie. Which can be built either normal or strike variant. Here are a few pictures of the contents.

BOX

post-9-63911-box.JPG

INSTRUCTIONS

post-9-63961-instructions.JPG

post-9-64010-instructions2.JPG

PILOT FIGURE

post-9-64057-pilot.JPG

BASE CONTENTS

post-9-64110-base.JPG

VALKYRIE CONTENTS

post-9-64157-fighterparts.JPG

I am starting to work on the base. I will post more pictures as I progress. I hope things turn out well since this is my first resin kit I am building. Wish me luck.

Here is the base and the launch arm. The launch arm is mostly assembled, only the lower arm has to be connected, after I paint them. I can't believe how detailed the parts are. Especially since they are so small. I am using Snap On side flush cutters to get the pieces off the sprues. There is not too much clean up. I sanded down all the pieces, then gave them a wash in some dish washing soap. For assembling the parts, I am using regular crazy glue. Seems to be holding fine so far.

post-9-34844-baseassy.JPG

Here is the base painted. I am disappointed though. I sprayed it gunmetal, but it looks black. Should I keep it this color, or shoul I use a dark gray instead? Or can I do a highlight wash on it?

post-9-22845-base02.JPG

Well I repainted the base and launch arm a dark gray. It looks alot better. Here is a picture of the lower part of the arm that connects to the nose, and the upper part of the arm. The yellow parts were a bit_h to paint. I had to use a toothpick to paint them. For the black I just used a gundam marker. On the little round pieces I added red dashes to the ends of them to make it look like the anime. Anyway soon I will be starting the valk. More pictures to come.

post-20-82937-launcharm.JPG

Here is another small update. I cleaned up all the pieces and gave them a nice bath. Here is a picture of the pieces I will start to paint.

post-20-86991-prepped.JPG

Here is the fighter painted. I just used the good ole Testors white to paint it. It came out pretty good. Tomorrow I'll paint the armor.

post-20-87114-fpainted.JPG

Ok. I finished the armor. I used Testors model master Grun for the armor. And for the GU-11 and the thrusters I used the model master gunmetal.

post-20-32760-apainted.JPG

Another small update, I painted some of the blue and black on the valk. For the blue I found one that is a pretty close match. It is Grabber blue by Testors Model Master. I just brushed it on, and the black was done by a Gundam marker.

post-20-44838-blue.JPG

Ok. I did alittle more. I added the verniers to the pack and the leg armor. I painted some of the details in the upper legs. I also tried to to a wash on it, but I think it came out alittle too light. I used Tamiya's german grey for the wash.

post-20-81984-parts.JPG

Another small update. I painted the thrusters inside the feet red. I also started assembling some of the parts. I still can't get over the detail resin kits have over regular plastic ones. It is coming along quite well.

post-20-41203-pieces.JPG

OK. I started to assemble some of the parts. I also applied the decals to the leg armor and the booster pack. I remember someone saying that they had to scrape off the paint for the pieces to adhere, so I made sure I scraped off a little section of paint where the crazy glue would be.

post-20-56390-assembly2.JPG

Another angle.

post-20-56550-assembly.JPG

Here it is with the pieces put together. I still have to finish the stripes along the side if the nose. Since this kit I bought didn't have any decals, I have to paint the stripes on the wings and the nose. Then I have to apply the UN symbols, and the 001's. After all that is done I can finally glue the rest of the fighter together.

post-20-43809-fit.JPG

Another angle.

post-20-43875-fit2.JPG

Well here is another small update. I still have to either paint or put decals for the U.N. Spacy symbols, and finish the pilot and the cockpit. I put the launch arm together though. Here is what it looks like with the valk attached.

post-20-99187-base2.JPG

Picture 2. Side view.

post-20-99245-base.JPG

I finally got around to finishing the fighter. The only thing left are the missles. Don't know when I am gonna get time to finish those though. I had a real hard time with the kite symbols. The decals that came with the kit are not the right size. I even tried to use the Imai 1/144 ones, but they are too small. So I had to color them in by hand. Anyway here are some pics.

post-20-52799-done1.JPG

That came out really nice, I can't believe how detailed that tiny thing is. You know you've done a good job when you can't tell what scale something is.

You need to put this in the "How to build a model" section.

Thanks Noel. I figured that it was supposed to be upside down. I don't wanna take a chance and mount it upside down, and have it come loose and smash the valk. I don't think I'll be getting the rest though, I am only fond of the VF-1 series valks. Probably the only way is if they are selling for cheap. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

:D

For 1/144 scale, that is a great job!!!

What happened to the "Zentraedi Size Macross pilot?"

Should have finished and put nearby as tumbs up! That's what I am giving you: 2 tumbs ups!

Paulo

• 9 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm really jealous of that non-scale pilot figure. Does anyone know where I could find one these days? I'd pay a pretty penny for one~!

How serious are you?

post-12411-0-08595300-1436923797_thumb.jpg

All I've done so far is clean it up and prime it. For the right price I'd let him go.