Dragon Ball movie rescued from dev hell?

I wanted to see just how bad the trailer looked, the YouTube comments were in fine form.

The dragonabll characters all "white" Japanese animators use larger eyes for their cartoons, which resemble that of "white" folk

There my be a lot wrong with this film but so what it's still dragonball. I'm a big fan of dragonball and I'm not to happy about the changes but so what. That doesn't mean I won't see it. LOL ... Trailers have a way of tricking you to think its bad. But really it may be good

Well, maybe I'll go see it tuesday or something...I read the article and it said "Fans liked the accuracy of the characters" and I thought "What accuracy? There's practically none." And I haven't even seen trailers on tv for this movie in oregon...this could very well bomb.

Part of me wonders if all of the "fans" hating on this movie are expecting a serious Dragon Ball Z action film, rather than a film based on the original Dragon Ball story which was a stupid, goofy comic. Literature it was not, and this movie captures that pretty well. If anything, the hate reeks of OMG HOLLYWOOD RUINING PRECIOUS JAPANESE CARTOONS, without really taking into consideration how stupid and silly the comic was in the first place.

That works for comments like the "characters aren't accurate," what are you expecting, blue hair on Bulma? Have you seen cosplayers with colored wigs? They look terrible.

Saw the movie and unfortunately it is exactly what the review says.

What saves the movie? Nothing, although I liked the Bulma and the other Asian girl that looks like Asia Carrera (she was going to be for that part I guess)

Dragonball Evolution sucks big time!!!

Part of me wonders if all of the "fans" hating on this movie are expecting a serious Dragon Ball Z action film, rather than a film based on the original Dragon Ball story which was a stupid, goofy comic. Literature it was not, and this movie captures that pretty well. If anything, the hate reeks of OMG HOLLYWOOD RUINING PRECIOUS JAPANESE CARTOONS, without really taking into consideration how stupid and silly the comic was in the first place.

That works for comments like the "characters aren't accurate," what are you expecting, blue hair on Bulma? Have you seen cosplayers with colored wigs? They look terrible.

You really think the humor in this movie is actually funny and comparable to the original? They are not even at the level of the old Street Fighter movie, which was "so bad-it's good". The jokes/humor here are unoriginal, forced, and the character development (if there is any) is even more terrible. There's no denying that the original manga is goofy and stupid but the characters were funny and likable, unlike the guys and gals in this film.

Btw, what's wrong with blue hair Bulma? Isn't this supposed to be a "goofy, stupid, over the top" film? What's wrong with a blue hair girl in a film like that? At least she wouldn't look as bad as the film version of Piccolo anyway. And ha ha, lol @ the Ohzaru form, shouldn't it look like an ape instead of a random monster?

The movie hasn't been shown here yet, I think it would be scheduled on the 16th. Just finished the holy week over here so not much cinema activity.

It's produced by Stephen Chow (of Shaolin Soccer and Kung-fu Hustle) right? An avid dragonball fan. I wonder how did he react to the finished product?

Shonen Jump last month was making it seem like this was the biggest break for anime to live films and well no one seems to agree with it.

I thought I'd watch it lastnight since I got off rather late and didn't wanna go home just yet. So I went to the local theatre by my work place and t hey weren't even showing it. That's the first time I've ever seen a movie theater NOT having a movie that's out.

The movie hasn't been shown here yet, I think it would be scheduled on the 16th. Just finished the holy week over here so not much cinema activity.

It's produced by Stephen Chow (of Shaolin Soccer and Kung-fu Hustle) right? An avid dragonball fan. I wonder how did he react to the finished product?

Strictly speaking, Stephen Chow isn't really involed in it. I don't even think his name is in the credit(Same goes to Shaolin Girls). And yes, he's a fan of DB, cool that u know that.

He's more of something like a consultant from what I know, he doesn't come up with ideas like scenes, plot twists or storyline etc.

Haven't seen it and don't plan to. DB is just one of those many manga/animes that should NEVER be made into live-action. CG, sure, but live-action, NO WAY! This movie didn't even merit an attempt. If most fans weren't even clamoring for a live-action movie in the first place, then why did they bother making it only to lose millions?! Dragonball/DBZ is so out there in just about everything, you could never do a live-action movie that would do it justice. Even if you had Spielberg backing it up and you had an all-star cast, I think it would still suck. When will these movie companies learn?!

Hmm...reminds me of the scene in Macross Plus with Isamu, Myung, and the sour fruit...

At least now you KNOW the movie is bad. :p

Hehe, it's like tubgirl all over again...

"What's all the fuzz about? It can't be that bad..."

"Oh god, my eyes!!!"

:p

Now; Check the reviews of the toys from the DB movie

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/astro-toy/...nball-evolution

It adds to the embarrassment

Like Bandai actually cares. Remember, they made toys for Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, and look where that went. I put an Aki Ross figure up on eBay with a starting bid of $0.01 and no one dared touch it.

I saw the trailer for this trian wreck of a movie.

What I saw basically was the equivilent of pissing on Toriyama Akiria's classic work.

The person they chose to play Son Gouku looked like a total and complete dork.

The setting of the movie looked like modern Earth, wheras the Earth in the anime was set in the far future.

The only redeeming thing about the movie was the actor chosen to play Kame-san.

To rip off a phrase from another movie (a more humorous one, but just as much a train wreck) "Toriyama Akira is rolling in his grave, and the freaking guy isn't even dead yet!"

I think I'll pass on this one.

Edited by Wanzerfan

I think so too. If people would do that here in the US. and got noticed, most likely producers would think it twice before filming anything or at least putting any crap in movie theaters.

I think so too. If people would do that here in the US. and got noticed, most likely producers would think it twice before filming anything or at least putting any crap in movie theaters.

We might be seeing a lot more with other adaptations on the way. Hopefully, it might be a trendsetter and people will notice.

• 5 months later...

Ok - it's pure coincidence that this should go in the DragonBall Z topic, but I'm not going to put it in Gunpla, because even though it's a snap fit model and it's an MG kit - it's not a Gundam... Still, I don't necessarily feel like discussing how accurate a representation of Son Goku it is... but instead... Do people think this has a future?

Bandai made an MG Goku kit - a snap fit model of a human. It looks ok - except the arm joints are extremely robotic. I guess you can photoshop that away for photography purposes....

On the one hand - its quite an achievement. I'm curious if Bandai will make human MG kits from other lines?

On the other hand - I'm sceptical. Good anime human figures are hard enough to make/come by as is...making MODELS of them...that's wierd.

But a welcome novelty to be sure.

DBZ fans can rejoice at least, right?

Pete

Ok - it's pure coincidence that this should go in the DragonBall Z topic, but I'm not going to put it in Gunpla, because even though it's a snap fit model and it's an MG kit - it's not a Gundam... Still, I don't necessarily feel like discussing how accurate a representation of Son Goku it is... but instead... Do people think this has a future?

Bandai made an MG Goku kit - a snap fit model of a human. It looks ok - except the arm joints are extremely robotic. I guess you can photoshop that away for photography purposes....

On the one hand - its quite an achievement. I'm curious if Bandai will make human MG kits from other lines?

On the other hand - I'm sceptical. Good anime human figures are hard enough to make/come by as is...making MODELS of them...that's wierd.

But a welcome novelty to be sure.

DBZ fans can rejoice at least, right?

Pete

Not so strange...I used to have the Imai 1/12 Misa Hayase model kit, and I saw the Hikaru and Focker ones around. I also remember the old Bandai Saint Seiya models.

None of them were Master Grade quality, but, wel...it WAS the '80s, after all.