Need Advice please HELP!!

carlodibi

Hi all, well I bought 600.00 worth of Macross yamatos on ebay recently. I went to the bank on my lunch break today to go deposit 600.00 cash to my account. 500.00 was in 20 bills and 100.00 in a 100.00 bill. I forgot to add the 100.00 bill into the 500.00 mix.

I thought the total was already 600.00 The banker didnt catch the mistake either even though he counted the bills himself. Will they eventually find out the 100.00 is missing? He printed out my bank receipt and it says that I deposited 600.00

Anybody know?

The teller will be out $100.00 and could loose their job over it. They do reconciliations at the end of every shift, so it is serious for them...

how do you know that did you used to be a teller?

but what if i found out later that I was the one that made the mistake and indeed gave him 600.00

I had so many 20.00 bills but I am quite sure I did give him the 100.00 short. But then again he counted it himself to.

What I am wondering is if he placed my deposited money alone aside from all other transactions he has throughout the day. Then it would be obvious and would catch the mistake later on. Or the money is just mixed like a cash register at the market.

They do count down every drawer after each teller shift. They are responsible for their drawer so missing money is a very bad thing. Depending on the bank, some type of action will be taken. Mistakes happen but they can't ignore it. I can't tell you what will happen but more than likely the teller will at least be written up.

it's a standard protocol for banks to do an end-of-the-day bank reconciliation to properly account cash amount as reflected on their records.. as for possibility of tracing what particular transaction the error similar to yours, it's remotely possible to pin point which..

apparently, it's gonna be a pain in the head for the bank accountant.. geezzz, i used to get this problem back then when i was working over a consultancy firm..

If they work in the U.S as they do in the U.K All the monies are put into a draw and It kinda works like a till in a shop. Theres a float amount put in at the start of the shift and the recipts and monies payed in have to balance out at the end minus the original float. They`ll see that its $100 down but will not be able to pin point which transaction it was due to the teller putting in $600 on the computer and subsiquent recipt. They may have an idea but will not be able to say for definate who`s transaction it was. My friend who works in a bank says his bank would let it slide for a small amount but if it kept hapening then the teller would get disaplined for it. he has had it happen to him once, But they let it go as it was only a few £. Similarly if the foat is up they get just as narked as it means youve short changed a customer.

I think you should go the the bank and ask the manager to tell you if the tellers float was down. Dont say how much you think it is and if he tells you the right figure you can give him the $100, if not just make your excuses and leave happy in the knowledge you have a C bill spare.