Halo 3

Oihan

I think the real saving grace of this game (not that it needs to be saved) is the online capabilities of it. Playing Halo 3's campaign with 3 others online is a lot of fun imo; some of the stuff that's pulled off his hilarious.

This is a minor nitpick, but after Gears of War, I expected to be able to join co-op games with random people. The only people you can play co-op games with are people in your friends and recently played friends list, so you have to arrange the match(ie: invite them). There's no way to browse lobbys waiting for people to start co-op games. Gears made it easy to play co-op with random people, and you could even co-op into a running game.

If I missed out how to do this, please tell me. I went to gamefaqs and xbox.com researching this because I was honestly surprised it wasn't in the game.

This is a minor nitpick, but after Gears of War, I expected to be able to join co-op games with random people. The only people you can play co-op games with are people in your friends and recently played friends list, so you have to arrange the match(ie: invite them). There's no way to browse lobbys waiting for people to start co-op games. Gears made it easy to play co-op with random people, and you could even co-op into a running game.

If I missed out how to do this, please tell me. I went to gamefaqs and xbox.com researching this because I was honestly surprised it wasn't in the game.

It can't be done. I don't mind it so much though. I like being able to play with 3 others in co-op (I think it's one of the best features of the game)...so it's a fair trade if anything if you ask me.

So anybody take screen shots yet? Here's one where I beat my friend down badly that he fell in an awkward position. lol and some other beatdowns by yours truly! ;):p:D^_^:lol:

post-219-1191445647_thumb.jpg

post-219-1191445794_thumb.jpg

post-219-1191445809_thumb.jpg

post-219-1191445817_thumb.jpg

Edited by BoBe-Patt

Beauties of the internet here: Raining on ppl's parade and flame wars. My god we cant even have a decent conversation about one thing. If it is about the QC of yamato to Robotech vs Macross to video games. What a tough crowd here... I really dont understand everyone here. If you dont like it, tough. Just deal with it and go on. No need to be an @$$ about it. Sames goes for those defending HALO. Opinions are like @$$holes, everyone has them. Live with it. Even if Bungie is a one trick pony, $170 million in sales of Halo 3 when it released is nothing to even remotely to sneer it. More power to them. Sneering and cursing at them makes you look like you are jealous or envious. Defending them makes you all fanbois. Man o man, what a way to detract the thread.

Do we all argue for the sake of arguing? The thrill of pissing someone off maybe? Some of you all really need to take anger management or grow up or both.

Halo 3 looks good so far, IMHO. After playing R6V and GoW, Halo 3 had to be over the top. Honestly for the entertainment value, I like it so far. I read the books and things make sense. So far the story is good but I only completed level 1.

Waaaaaah. Waaaaah. I voice my opinions on Halo 3 to people in real life as well. So, because I'm inquisitive about Halo's popularity means I need anger management? Give me a break.

The fact that the bozos that does this do it without fear of being recognized. I just enjoy the game or playing with my brand new Valkyrie without caring what these issue-ridden idiots say.

Very well said Godzilla.

On Halo 3: The graphics does look better than the previous games, but I have to check it out next time before I judge it.

What?

And anyway, Halo 3 does look great in the graphics department and it IS fun to play. That doesn't mean I'm someone who calls my detractors "issue-ridden idiots".

Edited by meh_cd

Hahaha, could there possibly be a better time than now to review our favorite Red vs. Blue video? An oldie but a goodie...

The Internet Vs. Real Life

"Halo 3 sucks! I hate you and I hate the games you like!"

:):lol:

Speaking of Red vs. Blue, the RvB guys had voice over parts on Halo 3!

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/10/06/red-vs-b...oles-in-halo-3/

Thanks for posting that because it just blows me away that some people can't see the difference. I think what's confusing some people is that the artwork direction and style remain the same even though it's been bumped up a few more notches (ie. more detailed bitmaps and textures). I think some people need to pop back in their copies of H1 and 2 and then go back to H3 to realize the true difference.

As for those comparing this to Gears, it's an apple and oranges comparisons. With Gears it's a closer in and more intimate game with slower gameplay, less characters, different physics, and smaller environments thus they are able to focus on more detailed graphics. Not to mention different art style.

Sticking to the Halo 3 subject, has anyone here tried Mountain Dew Game Fuel? It's living proof that soft drinks can be addictive.

I'm hooked on the stuff. :D Hopefully Pepsi Co. will continue to make the stuff even if they don't have the Halo license to attach to it.

Regarding the ending for Halo 3, has anyone noticed that it comes full circle with the beginning of the first Halo? At the begging of Halo CE it starts with the Master Chief being revived from one of those hybernation pods. At the end of Halo 3, it ends with him going back into one of those pods. Guess we'll see in a few years what's next in store for MC and Cortana.

I'm too lazy to link to it, but Kotaku has a pretty funny video of what was either painstakingly set up, or the luckiest grenade toss in the history of Xbox Live.

:D

http://kotaku.com/gaming/clip/the-best-dam...-yet-306797.php

also

http://kotaku.com/gaming/clip/the-best-dam...-yet-307441.php

Edited by Apollo Leader

Regarding the ending for Halo 3, has anyone noticed that it comes full circle with the beginning of the first Halo? At the begging of Halo CE it starts with the Master Chief being revived from one of those hybernation pods. At the end of Halo 3, it ends with him going back into one of those pods. Guess we'll see in a few years what's next in store for MC and Cortana.

Something interesting in relation to their past is my guess in Cortona's perspective with the MC, they rushed through this info throughout the game and I'm guessing the only things of clue were the disturbances you had through out the game and the sequence from the start.

That just cracks me up so much. :lol:

Edit: Grammar.

Edited by Ishimaru

Anyone happen to have a screen shot of the Chief and the Arbiter standing back to back in the Control room? I think that is one of the coolest images ever. I want it as my Desktop...

If you goto the theater you see the videos it recorded of you playing and dying in each level. It also include the cutscenes. You can take screenshots as well.

Anyone finished the game on Legendary? If so, what the heck was the planet that the ship was drifting to? Reach?

I dont think Bungie will do any more Halo since they only do trilogies. And also in case you didnt know, Bungie will be spun off from Microsoft.

GAHHH!!! I skipped the credits. Stupid movie after credits thing. Is there any way to view the cinematics without playing it again? >_<

EDIT: Ahh....good ol youtube has em.

I had a hard time following the storyline. Maybe its just me. In between blasting my way through enemies, i'm presented with some cinematics that supposedly tell me what's goin on but I couldn't catch most of it. Half the time i'm not sure if i was on earth or some other planet....or the Ark...or Earth. :lol:

I played it on Heroic...and boy was it tough on some levels, especially the flood stages. The machine gun , battle rifle and carbine are useless.....you can't kill anything on a single clip except the lil triangle backpack guys.

Final level running away from exploding Halo was amazing. The last time I remembered playing a "RUN AWAY!" finale was Metal Gear Solid 3."

Good ol' youtube.

Make sure you look for the Legendary ending.

There is a short little film that kinda points to where the story will go next.

I'll see if I can do a highlight spoiler

spoiler:

most people are saying they're floating above the planet Onyx where some more Spartans and Dr. Hasley are trapped from the novel Ghosts of Onyx.

end spoiler:

Abit old news...but i thought this was a hoax at 1s.

I lol-ed when i found out it was true?

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/07/us/07halo.html

Believe it or not, it's because of my involvement with a Christian singles ministry that I'm the owner of a 360 and the whole Halo trilogy today (granted we are a group of mainly 20-30 somethings and not kids). Three years ago I discovered that a group of guys from our group were having a LAN party for the then newly released Halo 2 and I went to check it out. Been hooked ever since. :D Funny thing is until recently, I was the only guy with a 360.

Actually it ties right into the begining of the Marathon Trilogy...also by Bungie.

I could be wrong (it's been a long time since I played Marathon) but doesn't Marathon 1 begin kind of like Doom did with a hollow back story where the player is some sort of soldier or military policeman sent to the colony ship Marathon? I'm almost positive there was no "waking up out of a space coffin" motif.

I could be wrong (it's been a long time since I played Marathon) but doesn't Marathon 1 begin kind of like Doom did with a hollow back story where the player is some sort of soldier or military policeman sent to the colony ship Marathon? I'm almost positive there was no "waking up out of a space coffin" motif.

that's what I recal, you're a security officer on some ship and there's some crazy AI manipulating aliens.

Ok guys, let's all see your halo career records! Here's mine:

http://www.bungie.net/stats/Halo3/CareerSt...yer=BoBe%20Patt

http://www.bungie.net/stats/Halo3/CareerSt...player=Ashmedai

...You guys should check out my "Triple Grave" clip! (Triple Kill from the Grave.)

Edited by Oihan

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone read the novels based on the Halo series? I think there are 5 books. You can buy 3 in a boxed set and the the 2 others are separate. If anyone has read these what order should they be read? Boxed set first or one of the others?

Thanks,

Steve

Box set first I think.

The Halo game itself is done in book #2.

My son has the books, except for the 5th one that just came out.

The 5th one is about Sgt. Johnson, so it might do some backstory, then how he got away from the Covenant.

I believe it goes

The Fall of Reach

The Flood

First Strike

Ghosts of Onyx

The chronological order is

Contact Harvest

Fall Of Reach

The Flood

First Strike

Ghosts Of Onyx

All are good books. I just finished Contact Harvest a few days ago. The story is about Sgt. Johnson's early career & the 1st encounter between the UNSC & the Covenant. First Strike is about how Master Chief, Sgt. Johnson & a few others escape the Covenant after Installation 04 is destroyed by the Master Chief. The Flood elaborates on why Sgt. Johnson was not absorbed by the Flood, & the Halo Graphic Novel shows how he escaped from them. The Halo Graphic Novel is also cool.