Misa Hayase with VF-1 cockpit

Ryuji

I just built a Macross costume, so I've studied them well. To add to the stripe bit, the one stripe (which is blue like the rest of her striping, not green) is indeed the TV look.

DYRL changes the coloration and detailing a bit. There are three stripes, and they are red. There is a circular emblem added to the left turtleneck collar.

Note that her uniform does change in DYRL (it may have to do with the award ceremony). The stripes change to two in a pattern like this. |===

The cuff also changes to a single stripe where the top stripe would go, bysected by a vertical stripe to the wrist.

Strangely enough though, it goes back to the first one at the end. I think it's an error though, as it's back to the one I just described in the final scene. This discussion has causerd me to notice this. How very curious.

Personally, I'm more a fan of the TV look myself, as DYRL gets plenty of attention. The only Misa I have is DYRL (though they omitted a stripe). It should be a tad easier too, as you won't have to worry about fitting as many stripes or the circular emblem. Not to mention that the design stays pretty constant, unlike DYRL.

Great to see Misa get some love. I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out no matter what you chose.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

According to the MacrossNexus, Misa is a Commander in the TV series and Captain in the movie. Mechamaniac & Hurin use the actual UN Spacy rank symbols on their forums so they can tell you what the ranks should look like.

Actually, I think this was more a result of different (or inaccurate) Japanese to English translation. If we assume that UN Spacy uses the rank of US Navy, then she went from lieutenant to lieutenant commander in the TV series and DYRL. FYI, Lieutenant commanders are called "commander" in short in real life although they are technically one rank below commander.

Please see attached an image file that shows the USN ranks (or follow this link to http://www.militarybadges.info/images/us-air/usn-ranks.jpg). post-4522-1190865277_thumb.jpg

As you can see, a "captain" in the Navy is an equivalent of a "colonel" in the Army, the Marines and the Air Force. On the other hand, "lieutenant" in the Navy is an equivalent of a "captain" in the Army, the Marines, etc. In Japanese, there is no doubt that Misa went from "大尉" (i.e. "Lieutenant" of Navy or "Captain" of Army) to "少佐" (i.e. "Lieutenant Commander" of Navy or "Major" of Army).

In Flash Back 2012, Misa gets promoted to captain of Megaload 1. But she is literally the captain of a ship and it is not clear what rank she achieved to captain the new Megaload 1, although it would be logical to assume that she achieved at least a rank of "Captain" (of the US Navy) to do so.

Don't feel bad about your English.

It's better than a bunch of people I know who were born, raised, and educated in America ^_^

Technically they speak American not English. :p

I agree with you so many people I have to interact with on a daily basis cant really speak their own mother tounge, it sad especially when many a foreigner can speak it better as a second language.

I agree with you so many people I have to interact with on a daily basis cant really speak their own mother tounge, it sad especially when many a foreigner can speak it better as a second language.

Perhaps it's because the American public school system neglects to teach English "grammar" to students. I spent several years in the US during grade school and came back to Korea when I was in junior high school. My parents and friends thought I would ace in English. What do you know? I was getting things wrong left and right when taking English exams because a lot of the expressions I was used to were just grammatically wrong. It took me a while to fix that.

Let's stay on target people, and not make blanket statements... it could be argued that they teach it, but kids choose not to absorb it. <_< It's not what this thread is about.

Surely, you can't mean that, Skull-1. ^_^

cant .... tounge

:lol:^_^ It's not only a single country. ;)

@ valkyrie13, There is quite a difference between written and the spoken word. Plenty of people out there can speak well, but can't diagram a sentence and vise versus!

------

Man RY! Two models at the same time!! :blink:

In Flash Back 2012, Misa gets promoted to captain of Megaload 1. But she is literally the captain of a ship and it is not clear what rank she achieved to captain the new Megaload 1, although it would be logical to assume that she achieved at least a rank of "Captain" (of the US Navy) to do so.

That's true, if I recall correctly Global was actually an Admiral in Spacy, but is referred to as Captain aboard the Macross.

So in terms of command, the Japanese have things a bit different.

The other thing with Naval Commands and ships, IIRC, is the tradition of calling the Captain of a ship "Captain" regardless of rank (mostly). On smaller vessels, you can have a Commander as the "CO / Captain" of the ship but still be referred to as Captain. Many Navies are like this, simply because Navies across the world have many common traditions, and Navies are recognized in military circles as very, very tradition oriented (just look at the "crackerjack" uniforms that resemble those from hundreds of years ago).

Another thing is that you can have an Admiral aboard a ship, but he won't be it's Captain. For example are US Navy Carriers. You have a bonafied "full bird" Captain as the "Captain" of the ship. It is his command. But an Admiral can be aboard the ship, making the ship his Flagship to administer his duties for a higher level of command.

Example:

Carrier Battle Group

1 Aircraft Carrier - Has a Captain as the ship Captain

Several Cruisers - Each having Captains as the Captain

Several Destroyers - Each having Commanders as the Captain of their respective ships

The Admiral sits aboard the Aircraft Carrier, making it his flagship and leading the Battle Group from there. The Skipper of the Carrier is still the skipper, and runs the ship as he sees fit, provided orders are followed from the Admiral regarding the whole unit's operations.

Heck, we can use even Star Wars as an example! In Empire Strikes Back, Captain Piett is the skipper of the Executor. Admiral Ozzel was the overall commander in charge of Vader's powerful fleet. Ozzel of course croaks and Piett is made Admiral on the spot and is now commander of the entire fleet. When he assumes this position, you will then see him issue orders to the other ships as he did in the film (sorry for the nerd indulgence).

Of course, I'm not in a Navy, but that's how it works as best I understand. Maybe a Sailor will come in and fix it.

As far as Macross goes, it may perfectly be fine for Global to be the Captain of the SDF, even though the overall command it has is quite large. It has a large contingent of VFs, Destroids, etc. We see no one acting above Global as an "Admiral" aboard the ship, either.

Edited by Warmaker

Wow, I totally missed this one until just now!

Looking good so far! Just one thing I hope you'll keep in mind...

The 1/72 pilot's seat you seem to basing your cockpit on is the Block 6 design, which was used in DYRL. All of the VF-1s in the TV series had a Block 5 cockpit, which is quite different from the Block 6. So since you're sculpting the TV series version of Misa, please try to make the tv version of the cockpit to go with it.

I'll definitely be getting one of these, if only for the cockpit!

The 1/72 pilot's seat you seem to basing your cockpit on is the Block 6 design, which was used in DYRL. All of the VF-1s in the TV series had a Block 5 cockpit, which is quite different from the Block 6.

What does that mean ?? Im sure there is a simple explanation.

Unlike Minmay who has her signature "hairdo", Misa will need more than the hair to make it look like Misa. It's hard to tell just from the sculpt, Ryujii. Would you be so kind to let us know if you can post a pic of a painted face/head? With the right eye, the proportions should make the face look like Misa.

By the way, I looked up the Flash Back 2012 book and it says that in 2012, Misa was seen wearing the uniform of an XO (2nd in command) of Megaroad 1 and not that of a "captain".

It's hard to say what is Misa's "trademark" because if you compare tv/movie/Mikimoto illustration version, she looks completly different, but we still recognize her... :mellow:

IMO it's her front and brown hair. :unsure:

post-2149-1192021308_thumb.jpg

post-2149-1192021429_thumb.jpg

post-2149-1192021437_thumb.jpg

It's hard to say what is Misa's "trademark" because if you compare tv/movie/Mikimoto illustration version, she looks completly different, but we still recognize her... :mellow:

IMO it's her front and brown hair. :unsure:

Wow... 2 of the 1st is Movie ver. the remain is TV series.

But I think Misa look nice without the curve hair for both side (TV ver.)

Wow... 2 of the 1st is Movie ver. the remain is TV series.

But I think Misa look nice without the curve hair for both side (TV ver.)

Yes, i think the same... but that detail is her trademark too.

I think everything looks great so far!

As far as making her look more like Misa, I suggest either a smaller forehead (maybe by building up a little more bang coverage), and build up the bridge of the nose a little bit to make her look less like a girley caricature, and more mature. And, of course a bit more sadness in the eyes :huh:

B))

Thanks for comments and references! ^_^

Made basic strip, finished hands,hair detail up and testing face paint.

Something is wrong in her face and still needs some retouch to looks like Misa... :unsure:

post-2149-1192160994_thumb.jpg

post-2149-1192161003_thumb.jpg

post-2149-1192161011_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ryuji

Hihi~~ Just some own opinion~~ hope u dun mind~ :p Actually agree wit Sdf-1, the eyes should be more small n darker.

MisaHead.jpgMisaM01.jpgMisaM02.jpg

I hv try use this as reference then use photoshop make some touch up. So here is wat I hv done"

1) Of cause the eyes will reduce bit small. White area can try bit less also. Or the iris make more darker.

2) The end of the eyebrows can try move bit lower or make it more straight so look more hesitation

3) As well as lips, make more straight or slightly smile~~ Misa lips should be very small i think.

4) Can add more thick for hair behind of her, I saw every reference the back side for her hair look more higher in every angel... not sure how look like if make it to 3D sculpt.

5) Can add few slice of hair to make it more like the reference. Or reduce some or make it short for left hair side .

Hope you dun mind bout it and sorry for my poor english~~~ :p

P/s: by the way today is our country important celebration day so call Hari Raya Aidilfitri (also Hari Raya Puasa, literally "Fasting Day of Celebration") , just hope to share our happiness with all of yours~~~~

By the way i accidentlly duplicate a same post... how to delete it? :unsure::p

Edited by pandaren