Your Top Holy Grail Toy

Ratchet

Now that is an absolutely beautiful piece! :wub: I have always wanted one of these and the Apollo 11 Saturn V rocket! Shame they are shockingly expensive now.. -_-

The Apollo 13 Saturn V release was on blowout sale at HLJ last year (around June). Like 60% off.

I have the Apollo 11 release but missed out on the Shuttle Endeavor. I'm also hoping that Bandai releases the shuttle model again.

The Apollo 13 Saturn V release was on blowout sale at HLJ last year (around June). Like 60% off.

homer-doh.jpg

I have the Apollo 11 release but missed out on the Shuttle Endeavor. I'm also hoping that Bandai releases the shuttle model again.

Yes same here! I'd like to pick up all of them! The Shuttle in particular!

Edited by spanner76

Thought I would throw my 2 cents in...

1: Bandai Grand King Ghidrah from Mothra 3 (got serious G toy collectors and friends trying to hunt one down but can never find one less than $400. Nope.)

SOC Voltes V ( had the movie version of the show and the Godaikin toy... lost both😢 want the SOC version, even a reissue!)

3: Microman/Micronauts Giant Acroyear or Mecha Acroyear(will soon hopefully have the Interchangables version from Ebay. The Mecha Acroyear... nope. Too much.)

4. The 1/350 polar lights TOS Enterprise... 2 of em!(on to build as Enterprise and the other to kitbash into the starship from my on hold ST fan comic Flight Of The Condor) and the full lighting and accessory sets for both!

I guess you can look at this as a grail / want list. Although it's probably stuff that no company wants to release so that makes them grails.

1. Macross DYRL VF-1S Valkyrie 1/60 or 1/48 Max version with battle damage. I started a topic about it before. I guess I'll get one customized since Arcadia doesn't seem to want to release one.

2. Rook's Cyclone / Ride Armor. To be so close yet now so far away from a release it's crazy.

3. Priss Motoslave and Highway Star. We didn't get a good Motoslave to me. It wasn't detailed enough. And no one has released the Highway Star. Even though there was a model kit or a one off made in one of the Bubblegum Crisis books. Whoever has that now definitely has a grail piece.

4. Might as well add Dana Sterling's hovercycle. I know that's not happening since most don't like Southern Cross, I know I'm one of the few. I always thought those cycles were cool. And I tend not to like the Harley style cruiser motorcycles. But watching Dana cause trouble on that cycle and ride through the countryside made me fond of it.

5. Voltron Lions. Accurate versions. I was fairly happy with my old toy until someone here mentioned that they weren't anime accurate. And of course knowing what can be created in today's world now makes me want new correct versions even if they don't transform.

6. Saber Rider Vehicles and Ramrod. It should be fairly easy to make this toy / model. I have the Gatchaman God Phoenix and that has mini versions of the vehicles that fit into the Phoenix. Saber Rider, Colt, and Fireball's vehicles will just go in a landing bay.

7. Since I mentioned the God Phoenix, I would take a Gatchaman OVA God Phoenix.

8. Galaxy Rangers Interceptor ship. I think that's what Goose's ship / the Rangers fighter ship is called.

That's it for now.

Edited by JetJockey

A perfect transformation Motoslave and Highway Star would both be awesome. I recently picked up the Yamato Linna Motoslave set on Ebay for abt $50...good deal, considering Priss goes for over $400. But yeah, it's an ok toy, but certainly not perfect , and the Linna fig's arms fall off if you sneeze in her general direction. There's certainly room for improvement.

Galaxy Rangers...now that takes me back. Good show featuring some really good animation for the time. I wouldn't mind having that series on dvd. Goose was the best animated Clint Eastwood representation ever. The episodes focused on him were always my favorites.

I don't see any Priss Motoslaves for $400. But I did read many reviews on the Yamato one and I just wasn't up for that toy. It wasn't big or detailed enough.

They put out a good Galaxy Rangers set on DVD. Two volumes. Really well done. I doubt it will get a Blu-ray since the reception was pretty low. The official site was shut down some years ago, a teased comic cancelled, and overall not enough fans out there for the series to continue I guess.

Watch Amazon during the holidays. When I got the sets they were on sale and I picked up both for under $20 I think.

Edited by JetJockey

I guess you can look at this as a grail / want list. Although it's probably stuff that no company wants to release so that makes them grails.

4. Might as well add Dana Sterling's hovercycle. I know that's not happening since most don't like Southern Cross, I know I'm one of the few. I always thought those cycles were cool. And I tend not to like the Harley style cruiser motorcycles. But watching Dana cause trouble on that cycle and ride through the countryside made me fond of it.

I would have expected a Spartas/Hovertank on here. A toy of the hovercycle though? The cool thing about really wanting that is it seems like it's somewhat obtainable in a different path. I bet it'd be pretty easy for someone to create a 3D printed version.

If this were just wish-lists I'd say a really good 1/35 Legioss and a 1/35 (though it'd be small) Spartas.

I wonder if whoever bought the Beagle Ride Armor Fuke prototype has considered doing a kickstarter to raise the cash to actually make the toy. I'd be interested to see that page and I'd definitely pledge.

If we're doing actual toys, there's a gold MP-1 Optimus Prime raffle toy out there that I'd love to have, as well as that red MP-10Bape toy. There's a couple Votoms toys I want but I wouldn't call them Holy Grail items, I'd call them OCD desires. In the Macross universe I have OCD desires as well.

For years my holy grail toy was the Gakken Mospeada Ride Armor, despite all its flaws it was just the coolest toy I could remember playing with.

Then many other modern toys came along, among whic the most notably amazing were the Yamato Ingrams, the updated Beagle Ride Armors, Yamato YF-21, v2 VF-1D, M&Ms, VE-1 and VT-1 Ostrich, and finally SOCs Grendizer, Arcadia and Gunbuster.

I think the upcoming re-release of the VF-4 G is worthy as well.

Otherwise I wish Arcadia finished their Patlabor run with a proper 1/24 scale Griffon.

And of course the holiest grail of all would be if that Beagle Mospeada Houquet proto turned into toy-reality

I would have expected a Spartas/Hovertank on here. A toy of the hovercycle though? The cool thing about really wanting that is it seems like it's somewhat obtainable in a different path. I bet it'd be pretty easy for someone to create a 3D printed version.

If this were just wish-lists I'd say a really good 1/35 Legioss and a 1/35 (though it'd be small) Spartas.

I wonder if whoever bought the Beagle Ride Armor Fuke prototype has considered doing a kickstarter to raise the cash to actually make the toy. I'd be interested to see that page and I'd definitely pledge.

If we're doing actual toys, there's a gold MP-1 Optimus Prime raffle toy out there that I'd love to have, as well as that red MP-10Bape toy. There's a couple Votoms toys I want but I wouldn't call them Holy Grail items, I'd call them OCD desires. In the Macross universe I have OCD desires as well.

I probably posted in that Southern Cross topic that I would take a hovertank. I can't remember.

9. Dana's Hovertank - All modes of transformation! I had the original and was upset that it only had the tank and robot modes.

How much do you think it would cost to produce a run of the Rook Cyclone / Ride Armor? Some of the parts were the same on the other two bikes. But now I guess they would have to make all new equipment to start production. Or find an established toy manufacturer that could do it at a decent cost.

For years my holy grail toy was the Gakken Mospeada Ride Armor, despite all its flaws it was just the coolest toy I could remember playing with.

And of course the holiest grail of all would be if that Beagle Mospeada Houquet proto turned into toy-reality

I hated that Ride Armor. Always crumbling and making plastic sounds.

But we do need the Rook version. I hope someone checks this forum and notices that people want it. I remember a topic on the Robotech forums that people there wanted it too.

There's only one thing I currently want that is out of my reach:

UCS Millenium Falcon. I didn't have the cash when they were released. Regretted it ever since and now prices are stupid. I'm so hoping it gets a re-release with the new movies.

That price is crazy! What was the original retail price? I thought you were talking about a better version of the Master Replicas Falcon. I heard of expensive Lego toys before but wow. I guess you have to be into it. There are only a few sets that I want just to play around with.

There's only one thing I currently want that is out of my reach:

UCS Millenium Falcon. I didn't have the cash when they were released. Regretted it ever since and now prices are stupid. I'm so hoping it gets a re-release with the new movies.

I also passed on the UCS Millenium Falcon. Maybe where lucky and they release a new UCS Falcon for the new movie trilogy. I heard the old one was a cool looking piece but rather boring to build.

• 2 years later...

I guess I can understand nostalgia as a driving force for wanting these old toys, but personally, I'd take a modern Arcadia 1/60 VF-1 with improved aesthetics and poseability any day. I can't argue with the fact that the old Takas were built like tanks and fun to transform, though. Guess that's the appeal.

For Silverstreak, you have two UCS Millennium Falcons to choose from now. I haven't looked at pricing for the original, although prior to the new improved UCS Falcon, prices were pretty high. The new set is priced at $800 USD, with 7541 pieces. I imagine prices on the original have tapered since the new release.

My grail toys right now are old terrible toys. It's not because they're cool, or even look good, it's just because it's so hard to find them in good condition since they were the cheapy throw-away toys of their day. If you want a Yamato that's rare, you can find it, it's just expensive. My grails, it takes months or years of looking just to see one in remotely good condition. I think the Takatoku chunkies and Mospeada ride armor toys above can be like this. You can find beat up Takatokus pretty easy but to land truly mint ones takes an exceptional effort. I've sworn of Takatoku chunkies, too many people Frankensteined them during the late 90s to get them into selling condition. The more I examined the ones I did buy, the more I could see something just wasn't right. 

There's only one thing I really want, but can't buy, and it actually exists.

Plated Real Grade Destiny Heine Westenfluss model kit. Saw one for sale, 130,000yen, and it sold.

As to grails I have:

VF-31A (x3)

Yamato 1/60 YF-21 (with stand)

Yamato 1/60 VF-11B and VF-11C

Arcadia 1/60 VF-0D

Edited by Sanity is Optional