RIP Robert Jordan

Well, this is a damn shame. After being diagnosed with primary amyloidosis with cardiomyopathy he was so upbeat (at least in his postings and blogs to fans) to beat it. He also pushed himself so hard to get tha last and final book in WoT series out while he could.

Here's to an all around great guy, and a fine fantasy novelist.

Wow, that's too bad. I really feel for his fans. I'm sure he had many more stories to tell.

I only read the first book in the Wheel of Time series and, finding it too derivative of Lord of the Rings, I never went further. There's no denying he was a great storyteller though.

:( thats horrible . My condolences. I've read the whole series and its gotten better an better with each book.

Did the last book get done? It'd be a real shame for it to be unfinished.

Edit: Perhaps there will be a series of movies/mini series based on his work.

Edited by Macross73

This is sad to hear/read for both his family and his fans. Like others I only ever read the first Wheel of Time novel but never really finish it. Not that it wasn't good, it was, just didn't like the characters that well save for the male lead and his friend. Kinda hard to continue when many of the supporting characters annoy you.

This is sad to hear. I remember reading many of the earlier books back when I was high school. The long periods between releases got annoying so I always had it in the back of my mind to re-read the whole series when it was completed.

His passing really is a shame.

A) No. Memory of Light, the last book in the series, was not completed. As of yet, there is no indicationas to how much progress was made.

B) Direct quote from WoTmania.com, a fan-site with strong connections to RJ and his family. News here is usually very reliable:

"I talked with Jason about this. He said that Jordan has been dictating outlines and plot lines and everything else related to the final book. He used the phrase "army of writers" to talk about the people that were converting those tapes into written form."

So the last book is still a go. Just that it will probably be a while longer until it is released. I'm fairly sure his editors will be the final word on how the story is written, and his close family, always a big part of his writing, will be the final word on what is written.

WoT is like a guilty pleasure. It's the one series that, every fan I know, likes to complain about it all of the time, but cannot stop reading it.

holy crap! I thought it was more rumour than reality! geez hey, great writer indeed! Im actually reading book 9 at the moment, and its been an enjoyable ride for the most part so far. I know several ppl at work are reading it as well, and some just waiting for 12. What a blow

R.I.P

I guess I made it through several more books than the rest of you all. I couldn't tell you where I actually stopped reading, but it was about a decade ago if that helps place what book I was on. I had actually seen the writing on the wall (in regards to the series' Neverending Storyness) a couple of books earlier, but since there were one or two more in the plastic bag that I had borrowed them in, I trudged onward anyway. It's just too bad he'll mostly be remembered for his half-baked opus and not for his many other pre-WoT books, including some Conan novels in the early 1980's.

A sad day and a huge loss to his loyal fan base.

The Wheel of Time series is what hooked me on the fantasy genre when I started reading like crazy after high school. I've read every book in the series - most of them two or three times.

Unfortunately, a lot of people were put-off by the series after the fifth-or-so book, which became bogged down in details and didn't really advance the plot much.

The news that a last book is in the works is heartening - wasn't expecting that to happen...

R.I.P. Robert Jordan

• 7 years later...