My first 1/48 (Or my cherry's been popped! :O )

Kyp Durron

I just got in my like new 1/48 VF-1J Hikaru (TV version) and it's freaking awesome!!! It's super solid in fighter mode with none of the bullshit floppiness that the 1/60 VF-0 had. <_<

VF-1J.jpg

You can literally tell how well made this is just playing around with it. I haven't tried transforming it, but from how stiff every thing is, I don't think this has ever been transformed.

I paid $112 shipped for this from Ebay, and I must say that I am far happier with my purchase than I ever was with my VF-0.

My questions are these :

Why the hell couldn't Yamato have made the 1/60 as well as they apparently did the 1/48 VF-1's? :wacko: Especially when they're charging so damned much for them!

And why are the VF-0/A's suffering from major shoulder issues when I've never heard of any major problems with the shoulders on the 1/48'?

All I know is this, I am now totally focused on the 1/48's and the only 1/60's that I am interested in are variations of the Y/VF-19 and the Y/VF-21/22.

Unless that can perfect the VF-0's design and get rid of the flaws, I don't see myself ever buying another one again....unless I can find then dirt cheap. (Which isn't likely)

End praise/rant. :p

-Kyp

Congrats! Now all you need the GBP-1S. :p

I got my Hik 1J with the armor on, you should see my awesome pose i got it in.

I'll do some piccies tonight, i have been very slack lately with too much work and all my 'new' cool poses

haven't been shared with the lovely peeps on MW yet!!! :p

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

1/48 Hikaru 1J has been my most favorite.

I guess my memory of 1J is much more prominent than any other valk variants.

It is rock solid as a toy, too. (So as any other 1/48)

Although my 1J is now equipped with GBP which is quite nice, but I really want the TV fast pack.

Edited by konimon

Thanks guys, Hikaru's VF-1J is one of the Valks that stands out in my mind the most besides Max's 1J and Roy's 1'S.

It's damned sure better than the VF-0S that I sold...I think my next Valk MUST be either the new Roy 1S or Max's 1J. :)

And of course, I must get the cannon fodder too...and the Angelbird...and the Steath... :p

-Kyp

Congrats on losing your 1/48 virginity. :lol:

Kyp, be very careful with the backpack hinge. Especially if you get fast packs. Never force it even a little bit. Other than the BP-8 part of the backpack, I haven't had any problems with my 1/48s. :)

On the BP8, a BIG factor in causing those to break is often that little triangluar antenna on the back of the vehicle. If you make sure that is collapsed you won't have to add any extra pressure on the BP8 and that should keep you safe. I learned that the hard way.

Congrats on the purchase, I myself got my first yamato in may this year ( 1/48 VF-1s Roy) and I love it to death. I have to say though I just bought a VF-0S and it has none of the problems that have been posted, so I guess I'm either lucky or they have fixed the problems.

Long live the yamato 1/48 VF-1's

Why the hell couldn't Yamato have made the 1/60 as well as they apparently did the 1/48 VF-1's? wacko.gif Especially when they're charging so damned much for them!

The 1/48 is what got me into buying high grade transforming toys thanks to the attention they put into it. Maybe it was the competition around for the VF-1 at the time which made them go to great lengths to make the best thing they could?

You had bandai chunky monkey, the 1/55 toynami masterpiece "veritech", (better than the yamato 1/60?) and so they had to make this 1/48 good enough to beat the other competitors for your money. The vf-1 is well known to people too, so it had to be extra good and because there are so many paint variations for vf-1 it paid to put in all the extra effort. (to milk it later with all the different paint schemes that appear in DYRL and the tv series)

Whereas with macross Zero, it seems like because they are the only game in town yamato may not have as much pressure to be better than anything else out since they have nothing to be compared to. The sculpt is going to be good, but maybe they won't feel the need to go to great lengths to ensure it is the best thing ever and settle for "good enough to profit from". Originally the vf0 wasn't even going to be a 1/60 perfect transformation toy, but a 1/100 swapping parts toy.

Just my theory..

Of course there are more gimmicks like the double jointed knees and stuff, but ultimately I would prefer the money goes towards quality vs features. A feature-rich toy with problems in durability is not as good as a toy with good durability and less features and gimmicks, but manages to do all the basics well. i.e Stiff joints with no cracking, able to be disassembled easily and get replacement pieces for, strong enough to wear armor and fast packs that won't risk drooping the limbs, and the general feeling like the toy is solid and whose parts feel secured and locked into place firmly so that you could actually hold it without anything popping off or flopping out of place. *grumbles about no chest-locking mechanism for yf-19 but remains happy it blows the 1/72 out of the water*

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Hahaha, popped indeed! :) The VF-1J is a fine choice for your first Yamato, as is the 1/48 scale. The 1/48 Yamato is the one major toy purchase with which I've been happiest (though I admit, I'm not a collector by any stretch). I'm sure you won't be disappointed either.

i got the old DYRL 1A, and havent looked back :)

the 1J Hikky is my grail; Trying to find the Fast Pack version (so that i get the TV version Packs) is next to impossible. The few times i HAVE seen it, it's been to pricey for me to get.

*sigh*

One day....

congrats on your buy mate :)

I've known for a while that I was going to eventually get into the 1/48's...and I also knew that the 1J Hikaru was at the top of my list. When I saw that ebay ad for one in like new condition for only $112 shipped, I knew my time had come!

One question though...is the white part of the valk painted, or is it just white plastic? I'm hoping that it's painted, that way I won't end up worrying about it trying to yellow on me later on down the road.

Can anyone post a pic of the differences between the TV fast packs vs. the DYRL version?

-Kyp

I've known for a while that I was going to eventually get into the 1/48's...and I also knew that the 1J Hikaru was at the top of my list. When I saw that ebay ad for one in like new condition for only $112 shipped, I knew my time had come!

One question though...is the white part of the valk painted, or is it just white plastic? I'm hoping that it's painted, that way I won't end up worrying about it trying to yellow on me later on down the road.

Can anyone post a pic of the differences between the TV fast packs vs. the DYRL version?

-Kyp

the tv style packs are lighter in value and the fore-arm pieces have a slightly different design. And the TV style packs don't inlcude the alternate gun nacelle.

post-19-1189561832_thumb.jpg

The white part is molded in color, it's not paint.

Edited by eugimon

It's a bit of work, but you really appreciate the toy when you transform it. As other have mentioned, I'd definitely invest in the GBP-1S armor system. Not only does it include a piece that fills in the gap between the head and back pack, but tis also includes the left/right torso panels. With these three extra pieces in place, it really helps stabilize the Battroid mode and makes the Battroid look really cool without the armor.