LIVE ACTION ROBOTECH (WB gets the rights)

UN Spacy

Again... not a licensing debate thread...

we've heard all this already!!!

*sigh*

The mods always stop us before we REALLY tear each other's throats out with our teeth... :p

But as a last little bit on my part, does anyone know where to go to get the KNOWN FACTS on the case (since everything I've seen has huge dollops of speculation, either pro- or anti-Big West, thrown in as well)?

For the last time! This thread isn't about the licensing issue! It's about how the Robotech movie will suck! :D

Har de har har... sounds like something my gramma would say... B))

I think Gubaba is incredelous because the Licensing thread has been locked for many, many months but still people get directed to it.

I think Gubaba is incredelous because the Licensing thread has been locked for many, many months but still people get directed to it.

Hmmm looks like it was closed because of the whole Tommy Yune incedent and people insisting on talking about. But It's over 60 pages which means it should be in the hall of topics anyway. So if anyone starts a new thread it'll take over that one. And once again this would begin the speculations of would be legal speculators of MWers that watched too much Ally McBeal and Boston Legal.

And once again this would begin the speculations of would be legal speculators of MWers that watched too much Ally McBeal and Boston Legal.

But I only watched Ally McBeal because she was a babe. All the legal stuf went in one ear and out the other....

Besides - I might be wrong, since I actually didn't watch more than a couple of episodes; but didn't shows like Ally McBeal and Boston Legal deal mainly with domestic legal cases?

Anyways - if someone reopens the thread, then we can move our discussion there....

But it's kind'a hard to discuss how much the Robotech movie sucks without discussing the legal underpinings of sucking.

But you know what? I highly doubt this movie is ever going to come out - I just can't believe it would. Hopefully this statement does not come back to haunt me.

Pete

But I only watched Ally McBeal because she was a babe. All the legal stuf went in one ear and out the other....

Besides - I might be wrong, since I actually didn't watch more than a couple of episodes; but didn't shows like Ally McBeal and Boston Legal deal mainly with domestic legal cases?

Anyways - if someone reopens the thread, then we can move our discussion there....

But it's kind'a hard to discuss how much the Robotech movie sucks without discussing the legal underpinings of sucking.

But you know what? I highly doubt this movie is ever going to come out - I just can't believe it would. Hopefully this statement does not come back to haunt me.

Pete

Wouldn't it be funny if it wound up one of those straight to DVD G-Savior quality pieces of trash. "Let's make a live action Gundam movie in Canada," how could we lose!"

Thats why I love Macross. There certainly glances back and nods to the past, but each show is still fresh and new.

Taksraven

You love Macross because it keeps getting worse and worse?

Pshaw, Frontier was far superior to 7.

But it was superior only because of the legacy of 7: it had all the right elements:

1. Totsugeki Love heart in Ozma's truck - very uplifting

2. Ranka super star flying in like Sound Force Mylene on Mikchael's jazzed up VF-25 and singing to win the battle

3. Sheryl also training to be a fighter pilot and, presumably, take up the role of a Sound Force ace (didn't work out so well)

4. Ranka Attack (classic Soundforce)

5. My Soul for You playing all throughout episode 17

So - you see - Frontier is of course superior, but it wouldn't be, if not for Macross 7 laying so much of the groundwork.

:)

Pete

You know growing up...I'd always thought Helen Hunt would make a cool Lisa Hayes.

So do you guys think this movie will be showing off F-14s before being turned into valkyries? I think a bunch of engineers will be involved and will be streamlining the designs; probably say that the fast packs are too bulky and too heavy...or some s**t like that.

Oh yeah, how about Katy Perry as Lynn Minmay? LOL. That would be cool, yah? No? Oh well, check out this live performance:

post-2303-1225031129_thumb.jpg

post-2303-1225031139_thumb.jpg

Yes, I suppose you are right. After 7, it would be hard for anything to be considered worse. :)

At least Macross 7 didn't have to rely on juevenille sexual humour and fanservice (at least not much of it). Mylene never chased Gubaba around for half an episode after he stole her panties.

Don't get me wrong I likes Macross F... but Macross 7 is better in many aspects.

Mac7 features an episode dedicated to Mylene's panties and photos of them... hardly any high ground there.

I don't remember that episode... which one was it (I do have the whole series on my laptop). I mean there are obvious examples of when Mac 7 reached low ground (the pointless lesbian rape scene in Dynamite for example), but it didn't seem to have as much stupid humour based on it... what episode are you talking about?

I too don't remember any Mylene's panties photo episode...

The "lowest" it ever got was the hilarious tabloid article about Basara and Gamlin being gay lovers :)

But it's been a year since I saw the series, so maybe my memory is rusty...

um - and to get back on topic: Robotech the movie sucks! Or at least it will!

Pete

I don't have Mac7 on my laptop, or desktop. I have it on DVD and it would take me forever to find the right episode. It exists though but I can't remember the plot at all. Mylene finds guys selling pictures of her panties so she gets upset, that's all I remember about it. I think it might have been the episode with the little kid? I dunno, been a long time and I refuse to watch Mac7 again.

I don't have Mac7 on my laptop, or desktop. I have it on DVD and it would take me forever to find the right episode. It exists though but I can't remember the plot at all. Mylene finds guys selling pictures of her panties so she gets upset, that's all I remember about it. I think it might have been the episode with the little kid? I dunno, been a long time and I refuse to watch Mac7 again.

YES!! You are right! It is the same episode in which the Basara/Gamlin gay love duo is suggested! The guys are indeed selling pictures of her panties.

You are right.

So there is therefore a panty precendent for High School Queen in Frontier; albeit in Macross 7 the panty thing is a one off incident - Frontier raises it to the level of episode theme.

But yeah - you're right.

And I'm sure there will be no panties in the Robotech movie; just proving that the Anime is superior!

Pete

YES!! You are right! It is the same episode in which the Basara/Gamlin gay love duo is suggested! The guys are indeed selling pictures of her panties.

You are right.

So there is therefore a panty precendent for High School Queen in Frontier; albeit in Macross 7 the panty thing is a one off incident - Frontier raises it to the level of episode theme.

But yeah - you're right.

And I'm sure there will be no panties in the Robotech movie; just proving that the Anime is superior!

Pete

And Frontier had grope and slap jokes, food items designed to invoke imagery of breasts. Under aged girls bouncing up and down in skimpy hospital gowns exposing their crotch... etc etc etc

Not that I'm a prude or anything (far from it) but that seemed a tad junvenille.

The problem is Robotech the Movie will probably be a tad juvenille too... but in a less pleasing fashion. :lol:

And Frontier had grope and slap jokes, food items designed to invoke imagery of breasts. Under aged girls bouncing up and down in skimpy hospital gowns exposing their crotch... etc etc etc

Not that I'm a prude or anything (far from it) but that seemed a tad junvenille.

The problem is Robotech the Movie will probably be a tad juvenille too... but in a less pleasing fashion. laugh.gif

If memory serves correctly, DYRL had up-skirt "power of gravity" shots, SDFM had naked Minmey showering, Zero had naked Sarah singing, and on and on and on.

Juvenillie in some cases - bu the word "juvenile" gets a bad rap... if not overused it is amusing and humanizing and fun.

And actually - it is an element that is very much MISSING from Robotech, where everything is always DARK and SERIOUS and underscoring that THIS IS NOT A CARTOON!

This is also why Robotech has nothing to do with the power of song and everything to do with mecha and things that go boom.

Look at Shadow Chronicles - ewww...

It's as if the writers just sat down for a month and recorded ther RPG session and then turned it into a movie :)

Pete

If memory serves correctly, DYRL had up-skirt "power of gravity" shots, SDFM had naked Minmey showering, Zero had naked Sarah singing, and on and on and on.

Juvenillie in some cases - bu the word "juvenile" gets a bad rap... if not overused it is amusing and humanizing and fun.

And actually - it is an element that is very much MISSING from Robotech, where everything is always DARK and SERIOUS and underscoring that THIS IS NOT A CARTOON!

This is also why Robotech has nothing to do with the power of song and everything to do with mecha and things that go boom.

Look at Shadow Chronicles - ewww...

It's as if the writers just sat down for a month and recorded ther RPG session and then turned it into a movie :)

Pete

hmm I have to disagree... Music is just as important in Robotech as it is in Macross, I mean all three sagas had it (of course this is thanks to it being borrowed from the Japanese OSM), Bowie and Musica come to understand each other through their music and through that the Tirolian clones get infected by culture because of Musica's spreading it. While Lancer didn't have a direct impact on the war through his music his singer personae was important (blah I can't stand either New Generation or MOSPEADA).

the Sentinels novels had Minmay getting bullshit psychic singing powers, the Lancers Rockers RPG book had bullshit music weapons. And Shadow Chronicles had Janice Em, who was originally designed as Minmay's singing partner and I have no doubt there will be some importance to her music in the future sequals... remember in none of the series (except Frontier but we didn't understand that until it was revealed later) was singing an important factor in the war right off the bat. Even Basara seemed like he was wasting his time for quite a few of the early episodes. With Shadow Chron we've only got half the movie being original plot, the rest is a rehash of the last couple episodes from a different perspective... So we gotta give it some time to see where it goes, but the pwoer of music (even in stupid ways) is as much a part of the Robotech heritage as the Macross heritage.

Again, I'm not saying I'm a total prude, I don't mind nudity and sex... but it just seemed over the top in Macross F. Yes DYRL had Hikaru trying to sneek a peek on Minmay, DYRL did have the upskirt and the actual naked Zero G shower. But these weren't just silly gags they served to give Minmay an innocent air, which was espcially needed in DYRL where we're already introduced to her as a mega-star of film and music.

The Sara stuff likewise didn't come off as being juevy because to her being naked was being in touch with nature and the spirits and was a natural thing, it showed us Shin's immaturety but didn't have that sorta jeuvenille joking atmosphere.

Hikaru in the lengire store on the other hand...

yes you're right there's nothing wrong with this kinda joke on occasion, humans do get into embarassing situations and there's nothing wrong with laughing about it. But Macross F kinda pushed it too far, into typical anime slapstick humour. That's just my opinion.

Robotech did maintain some of that... it had humour, it just had to cut out the stuff that would obviously not be allowed on TV in the 80s. Did it suffer for it? For sure... but, I don't think the over all product was something super dark and serious that didn't have any sense of lightness. It did keep the Lengire scene after all... :lol:

Yeah the fanservice in Frontier was bad, though it was all in the first half thankfully. i dont mind a joke here and there, but Frontier had HEAPS of it in concentratiopn all in that first 10-15 eps. YRL and SDFM had like... a shot each. For that matter so did Zero and Mac7. Doing something once is a joke. Doing it all the damn time, thats fanservice.

And Lord Bretai is correct; Music was still a very big factor in Robotech.

HAHAHA

It seems to me there's a lot more sexual humour in Macross F's 25 episodes then in Macross 7's 49... and no fanservice in the closing theme dosn't count.

though now that I think about it, that might be cause Basara is largly A-sexual... to an even greater extent that the sky is Alto's love, music is Basara's.

• 3 weeks later...
with the fate of the human race ending up in the hands of two young pilots.

Typical Hollywood Hero-maker <_< How about the fate of human race lies in a ship full with survivor.

Two young pilots, I wonder who that would be.

Edited by Morpheus