LIVE ACTION ROBOTECH (WB gets the rights)

UN Spacy

other posters? reading back, seems like it was all you that posted that line. and this is the third. boy, when you raise an argument, you really keep at it, don't you? ;)

So the more often a fact is repeated the less true it is?

Please.

BOY.

Yeah right. Some Machiavellian comic book crap isn't what I call deep.

Machiavellian?

Mach·i·a·vel·li·an Audio Help /ˌmækiəˈvɛliən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[mak-ee-uh-vel-ee-uhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–adjective 1. of, like, or befitting Machiavelli.

2. being or acting in accordance with the principles of government analyzed in Machiavelli's The Prince, in which political expediency is placed above morality and the use of craft and deceit to maintain the authority and carry out the policies of a ruler is described.

3. characterized by subtle or unscrupulous cunning, deception, expediency, or dishonesty: He resorted to Machiavellian tactics in order to get ahead.

–noun 4. a follower of the principles analyzed or described in The Prince, esp. with reference to techniques of political manipulation.

Also, Mach·i·a·vel·i·an

If you're gonna' use the word.........at least know what it means. Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh. Dee dee deeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!

The story is the protoculture factory on the *SDF-1 is the magic battery for aliens that runs all the mecha in the RT universe and the aliens want it because they are dying and running low on oil...er magic battery juice, extracted from leaves or something.

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!

And man the parallels this gives us to REAL LIFE.

It is poignant at the most BASE level of humanity.

:)

:lol: in that case...

in that case...

QUOTE (daeudi @ Jun 26 2008, 03:52 AM)

Some things I think we can count on in the Robtech LAM....

hair color will be more or less normal, not blue or green (at least for humans). yes, but for tobey maguire (rick hunter) it will be the emo-hair version. and don't forget the dance.

Max will not wear glasses. so he will be played by Shia Labeouf

There will be no knife fight between Max and Miriya, to avoid promoting violence against women. instead it will be an almost violent, aggressive love scene. much like xenia onatopp vs. james bond.

Roy will become Rick's actual genetic brother. rick will be played by (sorry, producer's choice)Tobey Maguire and roy will be played by a CGI-aged Tobey Maguire

Claudia will become either white, or very light skinned (think Alicia Keys) to avoid ticking off bigotted parents. to be played by halle berry

Ben Dixon will be the gratuitous "Black Guy who Dies Heroicly/Early" to be played by anthony anderson, the hacker from the transformers movie.

Gloval will become British. to be played by Ian McKellen. yes, him again.

Minmei and Misa will be roughly the same age. No loli's or cougars. to be played by Kristin Kreuk and Lindsay Lohan, respectively.

The Zentraedi will be a LOT closer to micronian size. Think 'Battlefield Earth" and do i even have to say it? john travolta as bodolza. but his bio implants will all come from his nose.

The flight suits and helmets will be much more like real modern ones. "what did you expect? yellow spandex?"

The mecha will suck. they will get the props from Robot Jox

The flight scenes will suck. and while they fight slo-mo, close-up on a girl bystander screaming... um...what? michael bay's not directing this one? Oh, it's Uwe Boll?

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! *runs screaming*

So the more often a fact is repeated the less true it is?

Please.

BOY.

defensive, much? i was merely pointing out your repetitiveness, i wasn't even attacking your point of view.

sigh. oh well. ok, then:

first off... "fact"? aren't you deluding yourself a bit?

it's an opinion. yours, actually. and the answer would be, in short, YES. if you have to say your "opinion" too many times, it sounds like you're trying to convince yourself.

and what's with the boy in all cap? is that supposed to mean something? :huh:

Machiavellian?

Mach·i·a·vel·li·an Audio Help /ˌmækiəˈvɛliən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[mak-ee-uh-vel-ee-uhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–adjective 1. of, like, or befitting Machiavelli.

2. being or acting in accordance with the principles of government analyzed in Machiavelli's The Prince, in which political expediency is placed above morality and the use of craft and deceit to maintain the authority and carry out the policies of a ruler is described.

3. characterized by subtle or unscrupulous cunning, deception, expediency, or dishonesty: He resorted to Machiavellian tactics in order to get ahead.

–noun 4. a follower of the principles analyzed or described in The Prince, esp. with reference to techniques of political manipulation.

Also, Mach·i·a·vel·i·an

If you're gonna' use the word.........at least know what it means. Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh. Dee dee deeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!

Mach·i·a·vel·li·an:

2...expediency is placed above morality... : Combining 3 series into one through a contrived distortion of a single word, while destroying the story which made these shows worthwhile in the first place.

3...characterized by subtle or unscrupulous cunning, deception, expediency, or dishonesty... : See Harmony Gold marketing and license tactics.

While the word Machiavellian might be inappropriate in discussing Robotech itself, it is thoroughly suited for the company which "created" it.

Please refrain from replying with same manner of :blink: response you recently gave. I do know what I speak of, as I have actually read repeatedly, (and own) the Prince, and the Discourses.

===

EDIT: I know we are talking about a cartoon and toy robots here, but can we at least pretend some maturity?

Edited by daeudi

I do know what I speak of, as I have actually read repeatedly, (and own) the Prince, and the Discourses.

I liked the Discourses on Livy WAAAAY better than The Prince. It's sad that most people associatate Machiavelli ONLY with The Prince, isn't it?

And I really can't believe that someone is going off about how epic Robotech is.

Look, if we're talking about anime, LoGH is epic. Robotech is just long.

(Now repeat that in your head twenty-eight times to make it even MORE true.)

I liked the Discourses on Livy WAAAAY better than The Prince. It's sad that most people associatate Machiavelli ONLY with The Prince, isn't it?

And I really can't believe that someone is going off about how epic Robotech is.

Look, if we're talking about anime, LoGH is epic. Robotech is just long.

(Now repeat that in your head twenty-eight times to make it even MORE true.)

While those with letters may debate it, I have always believed that The Prince was for the paycheck, and the Discourses were his actual viewpoints.

Anyways....

LoGH?

Ah, can you feel the love? I can't. See what happens to us when we talk about Robotech on a Macross forum? S@#t starts to deteriorate into petty nit-picking and finger-pointing. Anyway, although I prefer Macross to Robotech, I do hope that this upcoming movie succeeds, one way or another.

But RT is not "macross only". Remember that. You can make a trilogy and cram in the stories of the tv series in "3 hours per movie" blocks like they did with lord of the rings!

BINGO. RT is more than just Macross. If a franchise is going to be made from this, those other series need to be taken into account.

The parallels between RT and todays society will likely be used, the energy crisis for one. The LOTR perspective is also one that would work too. as long as they dont rush it , then it should be ok not taking into account CGI and character useage. if they go for only slightly bigger than human aliens then the whole point of the VF1 is lost it was after all built with fighting 50ft alien troops in mind. As far as casting its adead cert that they wont get the people who would fit the roles exactly but the will re hash the story to make them fit. Just as long as they dont put it in the blender to re hash it.

BINGO. RT is more than just Macross. If a franchise is going to be made from this, those other series need to be taken into account.

I'm betting they'll go the MOSPEADA route, just like they have been doing with everything else. Besides, you can actually sell a MOSPEADA movie in Japan.

In today's market Hollywood looks at world sales, not just domestic US sales. And when a movie's budget surpasses the $150 million mark (which this movie would have to just to maintain a decent "look") that is pretty much the automatic caution lamp on the writer's dashboard... meaning everything in the plot has to appeal to international audiences, feature no hard line positions or elements that would anger or alienate lucrative audiences in another country and at the same time be 100% legally "open" in every foreign territory the movie is to open into. The last thing Warner Brothers wants is a legal battle in a lucrative market over a property that is "supposed" to be a "money maker".

Rest assured that Robotech: the movie will NOT be Macross... hell, it probably won't even be Mospeada. Chances are high that it will not even be Robotech. It will be something completely new along the lines of "Independence Day 2: War of the Worlds!... This time with Robots!". And perhaps they will even completely ditch the "transforming robots" angle as well feeling that it's "too much like transformers" and that they want this "brand to be unique" so "kids can tell the difference in the toy isle". Anyway at this stage of the game they could attach a real piece of work of a director who has a "vision" for the movie that completely changes everything we "the fans" (using that term loosely) think the movie should have.

I expect only two things from this movie if it even gets past the pre-production stage: the broad, liberal interpretation of character names, appearances and stories and the very loose plot elements of aliens attacking earth. The final product we get will either be something like the new Speed Racer movie or that horrid Thunderbirds movie that came out a few years back or it will be like any of the other modern day remakes: so completely rewritten and re-conceptualized "for today's audiences" that every hint of what made it great originally will be boiled away leaving only a forgettable bloated budget summer brain dead action piece that will be in closeout bins at Target for $4.99 in three years time.

I heard from an inside source that the plot will revolve around alien giants who attack the earth in search of an alien space fortress; and it's up to TWO fighter pilots to save the human race. (I have a friend who works in the Hollywood field and has access to some database featuring movies that are currently being made/in development... no, not imdb.com, but some kind of system that is used in the industry)

Not that this is "official" information or anything.

But, I think it'll be more from the "macross saga" than anything else.

Since the idea is from Tobey Maguire himself, this could be a good thing. What if he's a huge fan of the TV series? What if he was actually obsessed with it? What if he saw "Transformers" and thought it was crap as much as most of us on the forum did?

You know, just because you haven't watched the original MACROSS or don't buy import toys doesn't mean you can't make a great movie from Robotech. I said it many times, and I'll say it again, as long as Micheal Bay and Jerry Bruckheimer's name isn't on the credits, it might be good.

And what's wrong with the budget bins at Target and Wal-mart? I see films like FIRST BLOOD in there sometimes and that's a great movie!!! (but I do see your point! LOL)

Edited by fifbeat

I heard from an inside source that the plot will revolve around alien giants who attack the earth in search of an alien space fortress; and it's up to TWO fighter pilots to save the human race. (I have a friend who works in the Hollywood field and has access to some database featuring movies that are currently being made/in development... no, not imdb.com, but some kind of system that is used in the industry)

Not that this is "official" information or anything.

Somewhat simplified pitch, but ok... I would still like to see the screenplay treatment and director's vision for this.

Rest assured that Robotech: the movie will NOT be Macross... hell, it probably won't even be Mospeada. Chances are high that it will not even be Robotech. It will be something completely new along the lines of "Independence Day 2: War of the Worlds!... This time with Robots!". And perhaps they will even completely ditch the "transforming robots" angle as well feeling that it's "too much like transformers" and that they want this "brand to be unique" so "kids can tell the difference in the toy isle". Anyway at this stage of the game they could attach a real piece of work of a director who has a "vision" for the movie that completely changes everything we "the fans" (using that term loosely) think the movie should have.

I expect only two things from this movie if it even gets past the pre-production stage: the broad, liberal interpretation of character names, appearances and stories and the very loose plot elements of aliens attacking earth. The final product we get will either be something like the new Speed Racer movie or that horrid Thunderbirds movie that came out a few years back or it will be like any of the other modern day remakes: so completely rewritten and re-conceptualized "for today's audiences" that every hint of what made it great originally will be boiled away leaving only a forgettable bloated budget summer brain dead action piece that will be in closeout bins at Target for $4.99 in three years time.

Amen...

Somewhat simplified pitch, but ok... I would still like to see the screenplay treatment and director's vision for this.

My point was that it's not gonna be based on New Generation (mospeada).

And, still, it's not official. Anything can happen. =)

And perhaps they will even completely ditch the "transforming robots" angle as well feeling that it's "too much like transformers" and that they want this "brand to be unique" so "kids can tell the difference in the toy isle".

That I doubt. The whole reason they're making or even thinking of making Robotech (or any other giant robot movie) IS Transformers.

On the continued negative Robotech movie response:

Remember all those IRON MAN fanboys who didn't like the fact that Robert Downey Jr. was playing him (and Jon Favreau was directing?)

Look at the final product.

Remember all those James Bond fanboys who thought Daniel Craig was gonna be the worse James Bond?

Look at the final product.

Anything is possible.

And to say "don't make it, it will suck" is completely absurd. I expect more from a bunch of Macross admirers. I know Hollywood has let us down, but every once in awhile, something good comes along. And I keep on hearing this stuff about "they just want money... they just wanna cash in...they just wanna this, they just wanna that"... you think Hollywood is in business because it loves us?? It's all about money folks. Wake up.

When you guys are about to ask a chick out, do you have it stuck in your minds that she's gonna say NO or be a B*TCH? Is this your attitude? Every movie you buy a ticket for, whether it's Peter Jackson or Steven Spielberg, there's a chance that it might suck... but you still buy it and you take that chance. Why not do the same here?

Better yet, why don't you guys just stop watching movies. Period.

If this was an official Macross product/movie (Japanese), there'd be 90% less b*tching and moaning. Ever saw Macross II or Macross 7? (yeah, I know the same people didn't exactly do these, and they're not "official" per say, but to some extent, they were closer to the real deal than, say, Spidey making a "Robotech" movie)...

The fanboy is wrong.

The fanboy is ALWAYS wrong.

The fanboy is beneath contempt.

I'm not a fanboy. I'm just a guy who digs Macross/Robotech for whatever reason. =)

Edited by fifbeat

The whole reason they're making or even thinking of making Robotech (or any other giant robot movie) IS Transformers.

Well then, that means history is repeating itself. The main driving reason Robotech was "made" in the first place was to cash in on the big Japanese transforming robot craze that was hitting the states... which ironically was fronted by Transformers. And if history continues to repeat itself, Robotech will be mostly ignored by the general public again and go down as a "Transformers imitator" yet again. A big thing people keep forgetting is that Robotech was more or less a commercial failure in it's heyday. Reviving a "questionable" property for new life on the big screen is a gamble these days. Robotech is not Iron Man... it's more like someone trying to make a new movie about Marvel's "Power Pack" today. Sure a handful of weirdos (us) will remember it and be stoked, but everyone else will just say "so it's an Independence Day and Transformers knock-off"?

True. Good point. And if history does continues to repeat itself, the Robotech movie WILL be good (see, I thought Robotech was good. Sorry. Don't lose any sleep fellas.)

Iron Man...

Unless you were an avid comic book reader, or an Iron Man fan, who the heck gives a crap about IRON MAN? (not the movie, but IRON MAN the character)

Everyone (majority) loves Superman, Spidey and Batman characters. They're a part of our popular culture. And Iron Man isn't them or even half of one. (Iron Man fan boys don't count. Fan boys don't have a grasp on reality.)

The 23 year old girl who saw Iron Man loved it for Downey's performance and because it's a good movie; and now she's gonna tell everyone else she comes across how much she enjoyed it. They'll most likely love it and they'll do the same. And this is not because she is an IRON MAN fan, it's because it's a good movie.

Anything is possible. I don't care how popular or unpopular the licence or name is. That's my whole point.

Edited by fifbeat

And that is my point as well... anything is possible. Right now this "movie" is simply an idea in someone's head. It has no director, it has no real producer. It only has a studio, a possible initial script writer and Toby Mcquire. Those three things do not make a movie, let alone a good or bad one. Arguing about "how good it's going to be" is like trying to debate next year's football season. It's all speculation and guesses because nothing has actually "happened" yet. It's all speculation. The trick is to speculate based on what you know about the market, the subject and the "intricacies" of the license. And from what I know of those things, Robotech: The Movie has an uphill climb ahead of it.

fifbeat,

The difference is, people were worried that crappy actors and directors would make a legendary story into crap.

With RTLAM, some of us are worried that crappy actors and directors would make a remake of a knockoff of a legendary story into worse crap.

I just realized...

the RTLAM can't be based on the Macross saga.

There are only so many times you can have a woman say "Oh, Rick!" in a movie without it being porn by default.

I'm not expecting the second coming of Star Wars. I can only hope it's a good movie. But I'm not knocking the idea, that's for sure.

Robotech isn't a knock off. It's Macross dubbed in english and edited for the American TV network.

Do you even know the definition of knock off?

Now, Robotech II: The Shadow Chronicles.... that's a f'in knock off.

Edited by fifbeat

I just realized...

There are only so many times you can have a woman say "Oh, Rick!" in a movie without it being porn by default.

ROTFLMAO :)

Robotech isn't a knock off. It's Macross dubbed in english and edited for the American TV network.

WHAAAAT

when they changes the concept of protoculture, they alter completely the plot of history, turning her into another thing

I do not have anything against robotech, but my only hope with this movie is that interest arises for the original series and it helps to that we have access to official proper subtitled versions, toys, etc

Robotech is more than "edited". I'll leave it at that. Knock-off may not be the perfect word (let's face it, Robotech is unique in how it is compared to the original source), but knock-off is a lot closer than "merely edited for TV".

Check this out. I'm not sure if I'm fanboy or not. I do collect Macross merchandise and memorabilia with a passion. If that makes me a 'fanboy' than so be it. But I have a firm grasp on reality. If this Robotech movie goes the way of Uwe Boll movie, it won't be the end of the world. Life will go on. I'm not saying don't make the movie. In the grand scheme of things my opinion is worth @#4% anyway. I realize this and accept it. I just don't want to see a cherished childhood memory trampled on and relegated to the '$4.99 bin' at the local Walmart or K-mart or any 'mart.' Regardless of the reviews it gets, I will watch it. I just don't want to have to sit there and feel ashamed that I'm a Macross/Robotech fan in a theatre full of people who are just hoping to see a good film.

fifbeat,

The difference is, people were worried that crappy actors and directors would make a legendary story into crap.

With RTLAM, some of us are worried that crappy actors and directors would make a remake of a knockoff of a legendary story into worse crap.

:lol: what, you didn't like my cast?? :p

I just realized...

oh god, that is so true. porn with giant men watching the whole time. :D

actually its interesting to think about. fifbeat is right; It isnt a know off. But then Davis is right too, its morethan just a re-editing and dub.

Would adaption be the correct term?

thing is, we all know what happened, we just each have our own ways of saying it. knock-off, adaptation, re-editing, hack-job. each one's right, in a way. (although i must admit, the last one is my favorite. hehe.)