LIVE ACTION ROBOTECH (WB gets the rights)

UN Spacy

Courtesy of MS Paint: The VF-1Spidey

post-345-1189184572_thumb.jpg

And the stars of the movie

post-345-1189184557_thumb.jpg

I gotta admit that's brilliant! Why break up a good team Tobey as Rick & Kirsten as Lisa. Maybe Kelly Hu as Lynn Minmei, Heath Ledger as Roy Fokker, Toni Braxton as Claudia, & Edward James Olmos as Captain Gloval. Sounds like a winnah!!!

I gotta admit that's brilliant! Why break up a good team Tobey as Rick & Kirsten as Lisa. Maybe Kelly Hu as Lynn Minmei, Heath Ledger as Roy Fokker, Toni Braxton as Claudia, & Edward James Olmos as Captain Gloval. Sounds like a winnah!!!

What about Willem Defoe? Perhaps he can play Breetai~

Hmm, maybe. But Macross is much more likely to attract filmmakers with more serious intentions than Robotech ever would. As for the ancillary benefits in Japan for a successful Robotech film, I have my doubts almost as much as it's success here. But I suppose anything is possible.

I don't really see how a Macross movie will attract filmmakers with more "serious intentions" than Robotech, at least in America. To Hollywood, both stories are just about transforming planes blowing crap up. And even though Macross and Robotech's Macross Saga share mostly the same story, anyone who has seen the original Macross will probably agree that its depiction of characters and specific plot points is superior. However, those differences will probably be lost on a Hollywood studio, which is just seeing $$$$ from Transformers.

You also mentioned earlier your hope that Macross Plus would be the base of a live action movie, but I think that too would have problems. Macross Plus is frequently described as the "Top Gun of anime" (especially by Manga). I think a movie of Plus would be seen as exactly that by most people... a ripoff of Top Gun, but with transforming planes. Basically, as I said before, I think Macross is best suited in the anime world. Japanese studios probably don't have the capital to produce a big budget Macross, and American studios would most assuredly bastardize it into something like the Wing Commander movie to make it a summer popcorn movie.

Well it won't resemble Macross AT ALL.

The intellectual property of the character, Mecha designs and probably the story belong to BigWest.

WB bought rights to the "animation" and Macek's RT story, that is all!

This production could very well end up in a legal quagmire over usage of property and designs owned by Studio Nue & BW. WB will want to have international control over that and it won't have it using original designs.

Granted, Hollywood more often than not ends up creating it's own designs for all it's productions anyway.

However, there very well may be no Minmay, since that character is owned by Studio Nue and Bigwest, not HG. All the other character names were changed, but that one.

The Kite will have to be changed, UN Spacy cannot appear on anything, the SDF-1 and Valkeries have to be redesigned. Unfortunately HG trademarked the name Macross (why BW allowed it is anyone's guess) so that will be able to stay assuming they even want to keep it).

I expect this to be another "Transformers", in that the VF-1 will probably resemble the JSF or Raptor, as opposed to the F-14.

Getting the film rights to a franchise doesn't mean a greenlight for production, so I think we have a some time yet.

What surprises me is that there isn't a big budget Gundam project in the works! :blink:

Considering how bad the Gundam live action turned out to be... <_< I'm sure a Robotech live action will use the Macross Saga since most people would remember that part of RT.

If they create a new franchise out of this (say 2 or 3 movies), it will follow the current Hollywood franchise formula. First movie is the origin movie with the hero "getting his wings". The 2nd movie follows the trials of the hero etc.

How about if Robotech comes out with 3 episodes and years later, with far superior special effects, better cast, and real directing comes "Robotech Begins" (a true "Macross" tribute...) :rolleyes: Now where did I see that before??

You know what the irony is here? I posted a long time ago in the series forum that if i made a Macross movie but called it Robotech because of the legal issues would any of you see it? I was thoroughly chastized and picked on because i knew that that would be the only way we could watch a LA Macross movie is if it was called Robotech. And now a year or so later it is happening and you guys seem to not have as much of an issue as you did when i first brought it up. Bastards, i hate you all :lol:

I hope the story does begin with the Macross story line. If they're thinking of an 80's cartoon franchise, maybe that's why they chose Robotech since it has three separate plot lines they can choose or modify from. With the HG legal battles there's a good chance that instead of Macross they do a version of Mosepeada instead. There's only been a handful of movies that actually stayed true to it's animation origins (even 300 added pieces to the novel) so I hope the "spirit" of Macross/Robotech is kept. The movies Toby has been in besides the Spiderman franchise has always had strong story telling (Cider House Rules, Seabiscuit, Wonder Boys, The Ice Storm, etc.) so hopefully the writing for this movie is top-notch.

All in all, at least there's the possibility of more transforming mech in the toy stores when the movie comes out. Let's just see how long it will take in development if it's on track as the Shadow Chronicles....2020!

I don't really see how a Macross movie will attract filmmakers with more "serious intentions" than Robotech, at least in America. To Hollywood, both stories are just about transforming planes blowing crap up. And even though Macross and Robotech's Macross Saga share mostly the same story, anyone who has seen the original Macross will probably agree that its depiction of characters and specific plot points is superior. However, those differences will probably be lost on a Hollywood studio, which is just seeing $$$$ from Transformers.

You also mentioned earlier your hope that Macross Plus would be the base of a live action movie, but I think that too would have problems. Macross Plus is frequently described as the "Top Gun of anime" (especially by Manga). I think a movie of Plus would be seen as exactly that by most people... a ripoff of Top Gun, but with transforming planes. Basically, as I said before, I think Macross is best suited in the anime world. Japanese studios probably don't have the capital to produce a big budget Macross, and American studios would most assuredly bastardize it into something like the Wing Commander movie to make it a summer popcorn movie.

THat's because you're looking at it from the persepctive that only studio bastardized versions of movies are the ones that get made. Take any example from the first The Matrix film to the Lord of the Rings and you'll see how great films are made outside the typical studio fare and interference but utilize that very system to distribute and finance. How is this accomplished? Numerous reasons, but it begins with a desire to take the property seriously. I see no reason why Macross, given similar circumstances, wouldn't be taken seriously by a director/producer with a strong vision beyodn the box office fodder which this Robotech adaptation is likely to become.

As for Macross Plus, Top Gun is ancient history. Most of the movie fans who would ultimately go see a Macross Plus live action adaptation couldn't care less about some cheesy Tom Cruise flick from the 80's, just as Superman Returns banked on an entirely new generation whose only connection to the original Donner film was their knowledge of some guy in a wheel chair named Chris (all due respect to the memory of Mr. Reeve). Macross Plus is also in the enviable position of being both removed from the larger story and franchise as well as being much more western in style and theme already. Could it become another G-Saviour or Wing Commander? Of course, but it could also become something far greater in the right hands.

GCM lends itself remarkably well to a movie because so much of it is disposable (charming... but disposable). If RT is going movie form I'd love to see them treat it like a trilogy with all three parts getting their own movie (but obviously tied much closer together... like have Leonard be Gloval's second in command or something).

I'm at work so I can't scan through but I wonder if the thought of this happening was part of the reason Shadow Chronicles was so deliberately vague. Maia is half "alien" because the aliens might all get new names. Earth's history is summed up in 1 minute because the events might be altered.

Macross Plus is also in the enviable position of being both removed from the larger story and franchise as well as being much more western in style and theme already.

Sadly, if a Macross Plus movie were ever made, it would be labeled as a Stealth rip-off. :lol: Yes, I'm fully aware that Plus predates Stealth by more than a decade, but does Joe six-pack know?

The more I think about this alleged Robotech movie, the less chances I think of it actually happening. We all know how slow HG works. By the time they get their act together, sort out the legal mess and figure out which designs to go with, the giant robot craze in Hollywood will be over.

I threw up in my mouth a little, from this news. So if it gets made, will toynami still handle the toys? Or will the license be given to hasbro or another bigger company to mass produce?

If a Macross movie were to be done, I personally think they should do a new story. That way it avoids raping the original series or movie, wouldn't be held back by adapting absolutely everything, and if it turns out bad it can be written off as Alternate Universe. :)

If this at all makes it difficult to get Yamato Macross toys for any reason, I'll have a fit.

Heh heh heh.

If this ever even makes it out the door, I predict that this is going to make Batman Forever look like Citizen Kane by comparison.

I personally don't think the big robots thing can be translated to live action without adequate budget resources, a la Transformers. Whether you liked the movie or not, the special effects were pretty convincing as far as big metal thingies beating the crap out of each other. I just don't see this generating the kind of interest in the studios to warrant that kind of investment in it.

Who knows, though - they're loving dredging up crap from the past lately so maybe it will happen. The legal sh*tstorm this is going to set off btwn HG and Studio Nue should be fun to watch, anyway.

Well, for my two cents... i'm with Mr March on the Macross Plus adaptation, it would be easier to do (not to mention ROCK MY SOCKS OFF) but i dont think it will get off the ground, at least not in this form anyway. Say wasnt there a M+ "movie" on the cards a few years back anyway? would have looked something like FF spirits within (in style - i mean a CG movie). With regards to 'serious' interest from hollywood on a Macross SDF movie, i beleive James Cameron was quoted as having the rights to Black Magic M66 by Masamune Shirow so if directors of his style and calibre have an interest in Anime there may be hope for this yet!

serious contenders for a decent Macross OR Robotech (not ideal i know) movie

Ridley Scott

James Cameron

Vincenzo Natali

Guillermo del Toro

and my cat 'spangle' could play Minmay.. she whiny enough! lol :wacko:

Heh heh heh.

If this ever even makes it out the door, I predict that this is going to make Batman Forever look like Citizen Kane by comparison.

I personally don't think the big robots thing can be translated to live action without adequate budget resources, a la Transformers. Whether you liked the movie or not, the special effects were pretty convincing as far as big metal thingies beating the crap out of each other. I just don't see this generating the kind of interest in the studios to warrant that kind of investment in it.

Well, by big CGI summer blockbuster standards, Transformers was rather cheap to make, though it helped that Michael Bay is relatively economical in the way he shoots (gets through scenes quickly and doesn't waste time and money). But what we saw in TF is pretty much all of the robot footage they could afford, apparently.

I could see $150 million or so allocated to it, and human-piloted mecha have one advantage in cost compared to Transformers - they don't have to convey 'living being' movements, or make any expressions. That was a challenge for ILM in TF, to sell the Transformers as living robots, and not just mecha.

I wonder if SK even knows about this. I wonder what he's thinking?

How will Yamato Big west respond to the bastard toys that HG will push?

Do either of them even care?

THat's because you're looking at it from the persepctive that only studio bastardized versions of movies are the ones that get made. Take any example from the first The Matrix film to the Lord of the Rings and you'll see how great films are made outside the typical studio fare and interference but utilize that very system to distribute and finance. How is this accomplished? Numerous reasons, but it begins with a desire to take the property seriously. I see no reason why Macross, given similar circumstances, wouldn't be taken seriously by a director/producer with a strong vision beyodn the box office fodder which this Robotech adaptation is likely to become.

As for Macross Plus, Top Gun is ancient history. Most of the movie fans who would ultimately go see a Macross Plus live action adaptation couldn't care less about some cheesy Tom Cruise flick from the 80's, just as Superman Returns banked on an entirely new generation whose only connection to the original Donner film was their knowledge of some guy in a wheel chair named Chris (all due respect to the memory of Mr. Reeve). Macross Plus is also in the enviable position of being both removed from the larger story and franchise as well as being much more western in style and theme already. Could it become another G-Saviour or Wing Commander? Of course, but it could also become something far greater in the right hands.

I'm looking at it from the bastardized angle, because that's happens most often when it comes to adaptations of books, comics and video games. I wouldn't use the Matrix as an example because it's not an adaptation. Also, while the first Matrix movie was fantastic, the sequels were successively worse. The Lord of the Rings is the exception, as it's had a massive worldwide following for more than half a century, and Peter Jackson was the one in a thousand director who adapted it properly. As much as we all like Macross, the name doesn't really mean anything outside of the anime community. And Robotech, even as an 80s entry title to anime for many, probably doesn't have the name recognition of Transformers, which has a lot more series and constant product releases, as opposed to HG's feeble offerings. Don't get me wrong, I'd be thrilled if someone made a serious, live action Macross movie, but looking at prior movies of this type, I really wouldn't expect it. For every Lord of the Rings or Spider-Man, there's Doom, House of the Dead and Catwoman. Maybe people wouldn't see Macross Plus as a ripoff of Top Gun, but as someone else mentioned, they might equate it to the oft-reviled Stealth. Besides, you look at any movie involving military types and jets made in America, and it's exactly the Top Gun/Iron Eagle type of popcorn, exploding things summer movie. There's not really any standard or expectation for something involving serious character development on the level that Macross does.

Well, for my two cents... i'm with Mr March on the Macross Plus adaptation, it would be easier to do (not to mention ROCK MY SOCKS OFF) but i dont think it will get off the ground, at least not in this form anyway. Say wasnt there a M+ "movie" on the cards a few years back anyway?

A Macross Plus project would be best served if done a few years from now, after all this silly garbage of a perceived transforming robot sensation has left the minds of the studios. Five years minimum. If you could attract the right talent and genuine interest to make a quality film rather than serving as blood stock for the vampire that is Hollywood production, it would be brilliant.

ok, I made these back in February after I made my cast wishlist for Metal Gear. Looking at it now, I'd Swap in Eva Green instead of Millla Jovovich. And I'd swap out Gwyneth, but i'm not sure with who yet.

if this movie does get made, i'm really interested who ends up being cast versus what I came up with.

also, if they are planning on a trilogy, i'd like to see them split the Macross saga into the 1st and 2nd movie, it's too big to try and cram into 2.5 hours. Just skip Southern Cross completely IMO.

post-515-1189175502_thumb.jpgpost-515-1189175516_thumb.jpg

post-515-1189175533_thumb.jpgpost-515-1189175551_thumb.jpg

post-515-1189175877_thumb.jpg

Sebastian Bach in drag!!!!

LOL!!!!!!!

:lol:

You really put a lot of thought into that, wow! Nice choices too.

I walked out of the Transformers movie thinking MAYBE now other giant robot themed sci fi might appear. The Battletech universe has such a deep history that it would make for a bunch of decent movies. Robotech Live action.........I have mixed feelings about that. But I it can't be any worse than something like Starship Troopers.

Edited by Capt Hungry

cast

Rick Hunter: Tobey Maguira (Spider-Man)

Roy Focker: Josh Holloway (LOST)

Capt. Gloval: Harrison Ford (Indiana Jones)

Minmay: Jessica Alba (Sin City)

Lisa: Jessica Biel (Stealth)

Max: Jonathan Rhys Meyers (MI3)

Miriya: Maggie Q (Balls of Fury)

Ben: James DeBello (Cabin Fever)

Claudia: Zoe Saldana (The Terminal)

Edited by Ladic

I'm looking at it from the bastardized angle, because that's happens most often when it comes to adaptations of books, comics and video games. I wouldn't use the Matrix as an example because it's not an adaptation. Also, while the first Matrix movie was fantastic, the sequels were successively worse. The Lord of the Rings is the exception, as it's had a massive worldwide following for more than half a century, and Peter Jackson was the one in a thousand director who adapted it properly. As much as we all like Macross, the name doesn't really mean anything outside of the anime community. And Robotech, even as an 80s entry title to anime for many, probably doesn't have the name recognition of Transformers, which has a lot more series and constant product releases, as opposed to HG's feeble offerings. Don't get me wrong, I'd be thrilled if someone made a serious, live action Macross movie, but looking at prior movies of this type, I really wouldn't expect it. For every Lord of the Rings or Spider-Man, there's Doom, House of the Dead and Catwoman. Maybe people wouldn't see Macross Plus as a ripoff of Top Gun, but as someone else mentioned, they might equate it to the oft-reviled Stealth. Besides, you look at any movie involving military types and jets made in America, and it's exactly the Top Gun/Iron Eagle type of popcorn, exploding things summer movie. There's not really any standard or expectation for something involving serious character development on the level that Macross does.

These are some valid concerns and I do understand where you're coming from. I know myself well and I'm a pretty jaded skeptic when it comes to film. Still, I'd rather take the chance myself. Besides, the odds are exactly what makes Macross Plus such a good bet. Some silly mainstream Hollywood summer turd is what we expect will become of something like Robotech. The rarity of Macross and it's relatively smaller North America popularity is exactly what would attract more genuine interest...if none at all. Sad as it is, that's the current state of things. I look at it this way; they can't do any worse with a live action Macross than what the Macross franchise has already done to itself :):lol:

I had a whole idea about what they would put into an RT movie but considering there's no pitch to the studio.....

I will say that if they do pitch RT to the studio, it will be a modern retelling, (much like Bay-formers). There will be elements there to appeal to both old and new fans and a similar story (i.e. alien ship crashes on Earth, transforming planes), but I expect a very different feel (design and probably character-wise)compared to the animation.