Warhammer 40k

briscojr84

On 12/27/2022 at 11:28 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

That being said, I'm kinda with the pessimists on the subject of Cavill because he's a long-time fan.  It's often not a good thing when fans end up in creative control of the very property they're fans of.  It tends to lead to mindless self-indulgence in the creative process.  Maybe fans are just a little gunshy after what happened when Games Workshop hired Matt Ward in 2002.*  Cavill's a big fan of The Witcher too, and the reports about his departure from the series claim it made him a royal pain to work with because he would argue with the directors and writers about deviations from the source material.

I honestly think that it can go both ways. A show like the boys seems to do well since it strays from the source while straying from the source kinda ruined the lord of the rings show. While being a fan can get something as great as Scott Pilgrim or Invincible made.

10 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

To be fair, that seems to be the new normal for entertainment news.  Streaming-first productions seem to do their utmost to control what information about the production reaches the ears of the press and, through them, prospective audiences.  It's only after production wraps or there's a significant shakeup like recasting or moving the series to a new platform that unfiltered news starts to come out.*  We likely won't hear anything except carefully-vetted press releases about this proposed Warhammer 40,000 series until after the release is over and done with.

(Not sure where you're goin' with the "No, except yes" thing... you say to take it with a grain of salt and then acknowledge that it's true in the very next sentence.)

We'll see what comes of it.  Hopefully there'll be some other producers able to exert a moderating influence on the proceedings.  That always seems to produce the best results when the lead creative's a bit eccentric or too passionate.

* Like how we only learned what a troubled production Star Trek: Discovery was after Netflix took a hard pass on Star Trek: Picard and didn't get a complete picture until Netflix successfully escaped its contract with CBS and the show moved to CBS All Access.

I don’t believe for one moment that Cavil was that hard to deal with during production.   The dude has been in the business for a long time and this is the first time they are complaining about him.   So, I don’t believe the rumors.   Did he try to improve scenes and dialog?  Yes, and most actors do that on set.   Caddy shack is a great example.   The Masters scene with Bill Murray was all made up by Murray.   So that kinda thing happens all the time.  And really isn’t noteworthy at all or problematic.    Well, we all know Discovery was a crap fest from the get go.

9 hours ago, Big s said:

I honestly think that it can go both ways. A show like the boys seems to do well since it strays from the source while straying from the source kinda ruined the lord of the rings show. While being a fan can get something as great as Scott Pilgrim or Invincible made.

Eh... like the earlier reference to The Witcher: Blood Origin, that's a bit of a false equivalency. 

There's quite a bit of difference between producing an adaptation of an existing work like The Witcher or The Boys and producing a for-all-intents-and-purposes original work based on the fragmentary backstory of an existing work like Blood Origin or The Rings of Power.  

That aside, whether straying from the source material is a good thing or not is absolutely on a case-by-case basis.  Having an actor who's constantly at loggerheads with the project's writer(s), director(s), and producer(s) during production is a problem regardless of whether or not some of their feedback helps the production.  Nobody wants to work with someone who's being an arsehole on the job, which is why Netflix's The Witcher production crew don't seem to be at all broken up about Cavill being let go and recast.  It's a big enough issue when it's an actor behaving badly, but when it's a producer - as Cavill will be on this proposed WH40K series - who's being an arsehole on the job it has the potential to have serious impacts on the production.

Spoiler

Because it's my favorite whipping boy, I'll use Star Trek: Discovery as an example again.  Because the show's producers couldn't get along and were at loggerheads over issues of canon and creative direction, the production schedule for the show's first season slipped badly, causing expensive delays later exacerbated by extensive reshoots.  That led to its most troublesome producer, Bryan Fuller, being ejected from the production midway.  It happened again in the second season, with producers Aaron Harberts and Gretchen J. Berg being ejected from the production mid-season because creative differences between themselves and the writers over the show's retool blew up into actual fights, causing expensive delays, extensive reshoots, and massive cost overruns.  And, of course, not only were these problems in and of themselves the cost overruns contributed significantly to the series losing its original platform as Netflix decided the show's cost-performance was hot garbage and tried to cancel it twice.

The concern, which I think is a fairly valid concern, is that if your passion for the project makes you difficult to work with then it'll have negative impacts on the project regardless of how well-intentioned the difficult behavior is.  Cavill's supposedly very passionate about WH40K... will that passion make him a liability for the production?  Time will tell, but it's not exactly an unmerited concern.

3 hours ago, Briandmd said:

Who?  The producers?  🙂.    Harrison Ford came up with the famous “I know” after Leia said, “I love you.”    So was Ford a problem?

Well, since I mean people trying to change a story from the source it came from rather than working with it, changing a little wording like Ford did (in a great way!) is hardly a comparison.

Using The Rings of Power as a comparison, there was a lot of things that were jumbled up and changed around, including, so far, characters missing entirely, new characters created in their place, and events that have been ignored. Things, that with just a little bit of work, could have been used and folded into the bigger story in a far more cohesive manner befitting the source material. If you are going to make a series based on the history of The Lord of the Rings, then use its history rather than trying to make changes to. If that's what was happening on the Witcher, then I applaud Cavil for taking a stand.

If producers or directors or actors want to make a story with their own ideas and plans, then they can make their own rather taking over an established story and changing it to suit their own wishes.

• 5 months later...

That’s pretty strange. But it’s neat. I don’t the the modern U.S. postal service would celebrate anything that violent on our stamps. Too many incidents of people going postal in our mail system probably would make them shy away from it.

I guess the most popular table top games here are are more like monopoly and over there it’s Warhammer. It is gaining a bit of popularity over here again lately. More Warhammer/citadel hobby stores are opening up, but a bit pricey unfortunately, but it is getting the word of mouth going.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Haven't seen this before..!

I want !

1/18 scale. 28C0EB46-88CF-4DAF-9430-92AAD3512BC5.jpeg.502f136e8e70c13c04ae5118ad1d0f12.jpegy7E222060-DC42-48F7-A085-B48FEF7DFCBE.jpeg.92f1da3f16ba0d9be29ef74abb8e9c0e.jpegBBCAE57D-4017-42F2-8BEC-5E2C47D63716.jpeg.7013358b1030b04791c9fe51b94bf4fd.jpeg

Yeah, I got a couple a while back when ISAGS had one of their joy toy sales. They’re a bit harder to find these days though, but they’re probably going to do a variant at some point. Or you may luck out somewhere 

TBH, kinda disappointed that all the Space Marine JOYTOYs have been Primaris marines.

Kinda wanna get a Beakie for old times sake.  I ended up getting their (Primaris) Marneus Calgar and an Ultramarines standard bearer to go on the shelves where I keep the WH40K books.

Dark Eldar line when?  (I know we always get the short shrift but c'mon...)

17 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

TBH, kinda disappointed that all the Space Marine JOYTOYs have been Primaris marines.

Kinda wanna get a Beakie for old times sake.  I ended up getting their (Primaris) Marneus Calgar and an Ultramarines standard bearer to go on the shelves where I keep the WH40K books.

Dark Eldar line when?  (I know we always get the short shrift but c'mon...)

They do have the beak ones too.

On 9/3/2023 at 12:20 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

I kinda prefer the beakies to the snubbies personally. It might just be that I’m old, but those were the guys on all the boxes and posters and magazines when I was playing. The pointy face was iconic and then to smoosh it flat kinda felt a little like blasphemy. It took a long while for me to get used to how they appear these days.

28 minutes ago, Big s said:

I kinda prefer the beakies to the snubbies personally. It might just be that I’m old, but those were the guys on all the boxes and posters and magazines when I was playing. The pointy face was iconic and then to smoosh it flat kinda felt a little like blasphemy. It took a long while for me to get used to how they appear these days.

Never been a Space Marine player myself, but I've always liked the Mk.VI helmet.

It's iconic of the older editions of WH40K, and now particularly of the Horus Heresy since the Mk.VI was introduced by the loyalists during the Heresy.

I'd like to see JOYTOY do some Heresy-era stuff so I can maybe get a Garviel Loken, a Sigismund, or maybe someone like Aeonid Theil... the Ultramarines had way more character in the Heresy than the boring pack of starcharses they are in modern 40K, even if the entire galaxy was actively taking the piss out of them in 30K.

18 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Never been a Space Marine player myself, but I've always liked the Mk.VI helmet.

It's iconic of the older editions of WH40K, and now particularly of the Horus Heresy since the Mk.VI was introduced by the loyalists during the Heresy.

I'd like to see JOYTOY do some Heresy-era stuff so I can maybe get a Garviel Loken, a Sigismund, or maybe someone like Aeonid Theil... the Ultramarines had way more character in the Heresy than the boring pack of starcharses they are in modern 40K, even if the entire galaxy was actively taking the piss out of them in 30K.

They are going to do some Horus Heresy later - WarCom Article 

The reason for the heavy Primaris in the 40k line is that is where GW is heading. They are actually slowly replacing the Firstborn, the NOVA reveal of the assault intercessors with jumppacks and scouts kind of confirmed the theory from 8th edition.

With the baby carrier being $400 that is going to place the Imperial Knight at around $600 plus and betting larger then the Tau'nuar model I just got for the same price.

21 minutes ago, Focslain said:

The reason for the heavy Primaris in the 40k line is that is where GW is heading. They are actually slowly replacing the Firstborn, the NOVA reveal of the assault intercessors with jumppacks and scouts kind of confirmed the theory from 8th edition.

Yeah, I saw a lot about that when the news dropped that Games Workshop was discontinuing a whole bunch of legacy Firstborn kits.

I've been on the fence on getting some of these joytoy 40k figures as I didn't really want to start another collection, but after happening upon the custodes and Bobby G figures earlier this week, that pushed me over the edge and I had to order them. The sculpting and paint application, especially on the custodes looked great. Well, G man could be better, but I can fix that myself. Hoping The Lion comes out soon. 

I got my first JoyToys toys. Four Dark Angel marines. They are nice, playable and easily amassable toys.
I already ordered the two Dark Angel captains and I need to resist buying Rowboat Girlyman because that will lead down a dangerous rabbit hole once they start releasing more Primarches. :vava:

Edited by Scyla

So these... Joytoy are now sitting on my mind. Some Marine's and the Panocean got my attention. 

Question, how is articulation? Loose, stiff, will it last? 

If JoyToy made the Aeldari, those would be a purchase from me. Are any planned? 

Edited by Raikkonen

1 hour ago, Raikkonen said:

So these... Joytoy are now sitting on my mind. Some Marine's and the Panocean got my attention. 

I am not much of a toy collector, so please take this as vague guidance at best, but I found them to be a little on the stiff side. The range of articulation is not quite what I would have liked. I'm not sure about the endurance, since I just posed them once and put them on a shelf as knickknacks.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

1 hour ago, Raikkonen said:

Articulation is something that ranges a bit here and there. Most will be able to crouch on one knee and maybe get slightly more than 90 degree bends, but certain figures are more limited like the death korps figures due to the coats blocking the legs a little 

4 hours ago, Raikkonen said:

I've owned both the Bandai and McFarlen versions, and I think the articulation is right in the middle.  the McFarlen feels like an action figure with articulation, and the Bandai feels like an extremely  poseable collectable.  Where the JoyToy really shine, is in the accessories and detail, they are gorgeous.

Lol. These JoyToy versions are really detailed and nice looking. I may pick up a Tau Shadowsun at some point. Though I would love to see a Farsight version.
I got myself the game version of the royal janitor dreadnoughts Telemon  and Achillus. They look like fun to magnetize( for different load outs and pose ability)  and paint. But i may just sell them off now as i have an over abundance of projects. They've already been cleaned up and magnetized. And any time i put into those 40K miniatures, these days, usually goes into building custom conversions of Tau battle suits.B))

On 9/10/2023 at 3:05 PM, Raikkonen said:

The major problem with the toys are that Joy Toy still haven't been able to figure out correct Shoulder/Pauldron articulation despite the fact even Hasbro have been getting it right for the past half decade.  How hard is it to put a shoulder pauldron on a ball joint/lever mounted in the shoulder?  It isn't as if SHF figures aren't in the same relative size category but they do it.  Even their Guilliman, which is the size of a MacFarlane, doesn't do the shoulder joint correct.  Most of the other articulation is so-so depanding on bulk and ornamentation but their shoulders are downright retarded. 

As time goes on they're also getting more and more stingy with weathering and esge highlights too.

Also the torso joint on the Necrons are trash.  They will flop in half at the waist if you try a standing aiming position with a sniper rifle.

Edited by Mommar

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Mommar said:

The Lion?  Yup.  He's pretty much guaranteed to sell well.

Not just because the Dark Angels chapter are one of the most popular either, The Lion is a lot more likeable and heroic in the 41st millennium than he ever was in the Great Crusade and Horus Heresy.  He also didn't do nearly as much jobbing as Guilliman did on his return.

Kinda makes me wonder if we're going to get corresponding figures for the currently-active-in-the-story Daemon Primarchs like Angron, Magnus, Fulgrim, and Mortarion.  (Probably won't be too long before Russ, Vulkan, Corax, Dorn, Jaghatai, Lorgar, and Perturabo get off the dime either.  They won't ruin a good meme by confirming if Alpharius and Omegon are dead or not... even though the Heresy books kinda already did.)