Warhammer 40k

briscojr84

2 hours ago, Kelsain said:

I figured those were Bandai. I’m surprised they went to those chapters, instead of Blood Angels.

That might be the assault interrcesor that just got released in standard scale. Heavy version is either going to be space wolf or iron hands.

• 2 months later...
On 9/17/2020 at 11:07 AM, Focslain said:

That might be the assault interrcesor that just got released in standard scale. Heavy version is either going to be space wolf or iron hands.

super long shot here but... blood Angels vanguard infiltrator please.

BloodAngelsVanguardSpaceMarine.jpg

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, Dax415 said:

Has anyone done a comparison of the Bandai and McFarlane figures yet?  Was curious about the articulation in each.  Thanks

I did way back when I first got one.  The figure isn’t as good as the Bandai in terms of plastic quality and articulation but the Bandai articulation isn’t so much more good that paying an extra $80 is worth it.

• 7 months later...
16 hours ago, levzloi said:

Genestealers! Yes! The Tyranid incursion has begun!

Now we need Tactical Terminator Armours.😀

Seems JoyToy is doing a Incusor squad.  Article from WarCom. They hit pre-order next week.

IW6HhzAPVDPMqSct.jpg

Seems that GW is spreading their IP around to things other then video games.  Also anyone here get in on the Warhammer+ service? I did but wanted to get other opinions that have. 

Edited by Focslain

I really want to like these, I'm trying hard to like them because infiltrators are my favorite space marine unit type. But man do those stupid antenna spikes ruin the look for me. I get that concessions have to be made do to the nature of miniatures but there's no reason to copy those compromises when you're making a significantly larger articulated figure.

2 hours ago, anime52k8 said:

I really want to like these, I'm trying hard to like them because infiltrators are my favorite space marine unit type. But man do those stupid antenna spikes ruin the look for me. I get that concessions have to be made do to the nature of miniatures but there's no reason to copy those compromises when you're making a significantly larger articulated figure.

Yeah, they could do something a bit more realistic at that larger scale, like maybe a flexible more "whip-like" antenna set-up.

One minor beef I have with these is the weathering; it looks a little too mundane and uniform over the entire armor. While I'm not saying they should make them look blood-soaked and dinged to rusted pieces (not to mention each added paint operation would add to the cost), perhaps a dark wash would help.

Something I had in mind while thinking about this (not exactly Incursor Squadron, but still Space Marine):

2 hours ago, Focslain said:

Seems JoyToy is doing a Incusor squad.  Article from WarCom. They hit pre-order next week.

IW6HhzAPVDPMqSct.jpg

Seems that GW is spreading their IP around to things other then video games.  Also anyone here get in on the Warhammer+ service? I did but wanted to get other opinions that have. 

The fact that that GW's is acting like a typical corporation and killing great things like Emperor TTS makes me never want to give them another dollar again.  That series was soooo over the top witty and hilarious, but GW doesn't control it soooooo...... dead. 

54 minutes ago, levzloi said:

The fact that that GW's is acting like a typical corporation and killing great things like Emperor TTS makes me never want to give them another dollar again.  That series was soooo over the top witty and hilarious, but GW doesn't control it soooooo...... dead. 

GW didn't kill TTS, Albafusa rolled over like a fainting goat. He was running on fumes and the discord around the IP gave him an easy out. 

Fact no YT channel has been hit with a C&D from GW since the 'update' outside one that was hit by mistake and they apologized for it.

• 1 year later...

YUGE NEWS for WH40K!! I'm super excited for this as Henry Cavill is obsessed with WH40K plus Prime seems to be pretty good with the series they make based on IP, namely THE BOYS. I expect this to be gorey af!!

Henry Cavill’s Next Play: ‘Warhammer 40,000’ Series for Amazon

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/henry-cavill-warhammer-40000-amazon-1235283251/

I’m super interested in that. Hopefully they find good writers so it doesn’t get to fanboy-y.  Also the writers need to be able to convey that the 40k universe is not a serious setting. They need to subtly capture the irony of the universe.

I wonder what the best approach would be. In my mind diving directly into the Horus Heresy wouldn’t be the best move. Too grand, too many characters and concepts for the average viewer.

Maybe some smaller side story like in the Space Marine game would be the correct approach. Maybe a Firstborn Marine being transformed into a Primaris might be a good start to introduce 40k to people who are not super fans.

4 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

YUGE NEWS for WH40K!! I'm super excited for this as Henry Cavill is obsessed with WH40K plus Prime seems to be pretty good with the series they make based on IP, namely THE BOYS. I expect this to be gorey af!!

Henry Cavill’s Next Play: ‘Warhammer 40,000’ Series for Amazon

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/henry-cavill-warhammer-40000-amazon-1235283251/

This is far from the first time someone in Hollywood has floated the idea of doing a Warhammer 40,000 adaptation.  The idea usually never gets very far, typically because the WH40K franchise is considered too niche to have serious mainstream appeal and too edgy and too cliche to be taken seriously.  Now that someone seems to actually be taking the idea of an actual WH40K adaptation seriously, I have a feeling the biggest roadblock they're going to run into is the setting itself... and how much of it is derivative of other properties which the creators of the game were parodying at the time.  The risk of a faithful WH40K series losing its audience to darkness-induced audience apathy is very real.

On the few prior occasions that there's been serious talk of developing a WH40K movie or series, it's always focused on adapting the franchise's most celebrated novels.  Typically the talk about adaptations revolves around Dan Abnett's Eisenhorn trilogy (XenosMalleus, and Hereticus).  The other series that usually comes up in those discussions in Gaunt's Ghosts, also by Dan Abnett, though far less frequently than Eisenhorn.  Sandy Mitchell's Ciaphas Cain series has been bandied about a little bit too.

I think what we're seeing here may actually be the fruition of an announcement made back in 2019.  Producer Frank Spotnitz (The X-FilesThe Man in the High Castle) announced his intention to have his studio, Big Light Productions, work on a live-action adaptation of the Eisenhorn trilogy.  Big Light Productions has a history of working with, and distributing its films through, Amazon including The Man in the High Castle and Leonardo.  Now there are actual contract negotiations in progress, Spotnitz's studio has only one other project that current is in the works (a second season of Leonardo), and Henry Cavill's suddenly voicing interest in doing a WH40K series.

It'd be a good starting point, since Eisenhorn set up a lot of the modern WH40K setting and is less involved in the massive pitched battles side of things and it has two sequel trilogies that could be adapted as well should the series take off.  The Ravenor trilogy (RavenorRavenor ReturnedRavenor Rogue) starring Eisenhorn's star pupil and the new (and rather more overtly lovecraftian) Bequin trilogy that's styled as the final third of a trilogy of trilogies that also features a final showdown between Eisenhorn and Ravenor.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

• 2 weeks later...

I have to admit, for a fanbase that's been wishing for some mainstream exposure for so long I'm kind of surprised how overwhelmingly negative the expectations for this series are on the few WH40K fan communities I'm on.  The inevitable nerdy gatekeeping aside, a lot of fans seem to be pretty worried about the implications.  They're either worried that Cavill will use his Executive Producer credit to ride roughshod over production like he reportedly tried to do on Netflix's The Witcher, or they're worried Amazon will step in and require that the series be toned down to a less-than-authentic level to be more appealing to general audiences.

Cavill's a known longtime fan. I would trust him over most Executive Producers. Or Amazon. I would hope that they wouldn't water down WH40K. As far as weather or not he tried to run "roughshod " on The Witcher. We don't really know the details. For all we know, NETFLIX was losing their way. Fans can be worried. But they still want this 40K franchise to happen. 

14 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Cavill's a known longtime fan. I would trust him over most Executive Producers. Or Amazon. I would hope that they wouldn't water down WH40K. As far as weather or not he tried to run "roughshod " on The Witcher. We don't really know the details. For all we know, NETFLIX was losing their way. Fans can be worried. But they still want this 40K franchise to happen. 

For what it's worth, while I'm going to hold off on having any real expectations of the project until we know whether they plan to develop an original story or adapt one of the more accessible novels.

That being said, I'm kinda with the pessimists on the subject of Cavill because he's a long-time fan.  It's often not a good thing when fans end up in creative control of the very property they're fans of.  It tends to lead to mindless self-indulgence in the creative process.  Maybe fans are just a little gunshy after what happened when Games Workshop hired Matt Ward in 2002.*  Cavill's a big fan of The Witcher too, and the reports about his departure from the series claim it made him a royal pain to work with because he would argue with the directors and writers about deviations from the source material.

Spoiler

... and he plays Custodes, FFS.  If he were to force his personal interest on the project, there'd be no chance for relatable characters at all.  They're a legion of flat characters who are so emotionally (and literally) neutered that the Space Marines consider them nearly as alien and incomprehensible as baseline humans consider the Space Marines to be.  The closest they've had to an actual character in almost twenty years of novels is the implication that...

Spoiler

... Captain-General Constantin Valdor may have become some kind of Lovecraftian horror in the 10,000 years since the Horus Heresy, driving the plot of the third part of the Inquisitor trilogy of trilogies.

* For those unfamiliar, Matt Ward is probably the single most-hated writer to ever touch Warhammer Fantasy or Warhammer 40,000.  He penned several army books for both games that were unbalanced to the point of being literally game-breaking, but is more often remembered for a laundry list of terrible retcons that tended to turn his favorite factions and characters into unstoppable Mary Sues around whom the entire galaxy revolved.  Especially what he did to the Ultramarines and Grey Knights, making the former the Gold Standard to which all Space Marines aspire and the latter an army of Godmode Sues who suckerpunch demigods on the daily.  

48 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

For what it's worth, while I'm going to hold off on having any real expectations of the project until we know whether they plan to develop an original story or adapt one of the more accessible novels.

As exciting as it is to FINALLY have some potentially interesting live action WH40K. I'm in this same boat. Honestly, i have little expectations. But neither am I going to join the haters and poo poo it already.  Even though I'm fairly confident it's going to involve mostly  Space Marines, which I don't even care about. I prefer the Tau. 

11 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I have to admit, for a fanbase that's been wishing for some mainstream exposure for so long I'm kind of surprised how overwhelmingly negative the expectations for this series are on the few WH40K fan communities I'm on.  The inevitable nerdy gatekeeping aside, a lot of fans seem to be pretty worried about the implications.  They're either worried that Cavill will use his Executive Producer credit to ride roughshod over production like he reportedly tried to do on Netflix's The Witcher, or they're worried Amazon will step in and require that the series be toned down to a less-than-authentic level to be more appealing to general audiences.

Well, the Cavil rumors on The Witcher only started after he quit the show.   So I would only take that with a grain of salt.   Probably just the creators trying to save face.   As far as Cavill trying to roughshod over production, he was the only good part and they admit he rewrote some of the most memorable scenes.  If you want to see how the series is run without Cavil, try watching Blood Origins.   It is complete rubbish.   So yeah, Cavil was the only saving grace for the show.   Rarely do you ever see a true fan run a series.  So I will give it a whirl and see what happens.

Edited by Briandmd

10 hours ago, Briandmd said:

Well, the Cavil rumors on The Witcher only started after he quit the show.   So I would only take that with a grain of salt.   Probably just the creators trying to save face.   As far as Cavill trying to roughshod over production, he was the only good part and they admit he rewrote some of the most memorable scenes.

To be fair, that seems to be the new normal for entertainment news.  Streaming-first productions seem to do their utmost to control what information about the production reaches the ears of the press and, through them, prospective audiences.  It's only after production wraps or there's a significant shakeup like recasting or moving the series to a new platform that unfiltered news starts to come out.*  We likely won't hear anything except carefully-vetted press releases about this proposed Warhammer 40,000 series until after the release is over and done with.

(Not sure where you're goin' with the "No, except yes" thing... you say to take it with a grain of salt and then acknowledge that it's true in the very next sentence.)

We'll see what comes of it.  Hopefully there'll be some other producers able to exert a moderating influence on the proceedings.  That always seems to produce the best results when the lead creative's a bit eccentric or too passionate.

* Like how we only learned what a troubled production Star Trek: Discovery was after Netflix took a hard pass on Star Trek: Picard and didn't get a complete picture until Netflix successfully escaped its contract with CBS and the show moved to CBS All Access.

At this point, I think most warhammer fans are just used to disappointment, given how few and far between the good licensed 40k things have been. Just look at how many crap shovelware 40k video games there are, alongside the few good ones like dawn of war.

At this point I’m more surprised when something 40k licensed is decent. (Goes back to playing dark tide and updating my 40k commander decks).

22 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

At this point, I think most warhammer fans are just used to disappointment, given how few and far between the good licensed 40k things have been. Just look at how many crap shovelware 40k video games there are, alongside the few good ones like dawn of war.

At this point I’m more surprised when something 40k licensed is decent. (Goes back to playing dark tide and updating my 40k commander decks).

The Exodite series was pretty awesome. I'm also keen to build a 40K deck. Haven't started yet , I'm hoping for more diversity before i jump into that pool. I've got plenty of MTG , otherwise.

23 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Well, the older ones maybe... the ones who were with the game through 5th and 6th when Matt Ward was doing his thing.

How used to disappointment fans are with licensed materials would depend which category you're talking about.  Video games, sure... the franchise has had too many minimum effort microtransaction-heavy mobile games and very little in the way of quality since Dawn of War and Fire Warrior.  Not that that's stopped fans from engaging in girlish squeeing over the announcement of Space Marine 2.  It's partly a jealousy thing, since Warhammer Fantasy got a number of actually-good games in that period that even developed factions which were previously fluff-only in the actual (defunct) Warhammer Fantasy game.

Other media is generally more positively received.  The novels and comics are typically well-received by fans.  There are the occasional exceptions, like the novelizations of video game titles and the few stories that do too much character shilling, but on average they're typically greeted with enthusiasm if not vocal excitement.  The much-criticized decision to squash fan films in order to promote official animations initially led to frosty reception of new official animations, but even those have warmed considerably as Games Workshop has started putting more effort into it.

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Well, the older ones maybe... the ones who were with the game through 5th and 6th when Matt Ward was doing his thing.

How used to disappointment fans are with licensed materials would depend which category you're talking about.  Video games, sure... the franchise has had too many minimum effort microtransaction-heavy mobile games and very little in the way of quality since Dawn of War and Fire Warrior.  Not that that's stopped fans from engaging in girlish squeeing over the announcement of Space Marine 2.  It's partly a jealousy thing, since Warhammer Fantasy got a number of actually-good games in that period that even developed factions which were previously fluff-only in the actual (defunct) Warhammer Fantasy game.

Other media is generally more positively received.  The novels and comics are typically well-received by fans.  There are the occasional exceptions, like the novelizations of video game titles and the few stories that do too much character shilling, but on average they're typically greeted with enthusiasm if not vocal excitement.  The much-criticized decision to squash fan films in order to promote official animations initially led to frosty reception of new official animations, but even those have warmed considerably as Games Workshop has started putting more effort into it.

The books are a bit different, in that the writers are writing for GW, rather than paying for a license and then making a book the way the games are done.