Battle Angel Alita

wolfx

The Target exclusive comes with a USB wristband that I don’t need so I preordered the regular blu-ray release.  It would have been nice if it came with an art booklet instead though.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got my copy last night in the mail and I went straight to the extras cause that's what fascinates me more than most films. I think we got a pretty good idea that Cameron really wanted a well rounded and as faithful as possible film of Alita. It's interesting to hear him say that it was almost like a coin flip between it and Avatar and the only reason he chose Avatar was for the motion capturing mechanics needing to be really put to the test and Avatar being a 99% CGI film made better use than Alita would. Or the 2005 Artistic Reel was kind of interesting....won't go into to much details to spoil it but they were changing some aspects while being very anime.

I mean there was some really cool stuff and I really do hope that Cameron and crew make another film focusing on Alita becoming a member of the Tuned, her encounters with Figure, hell start it out with the end of her motorball championship which ends in a celebration where Zapan comes for his revenge with the help of Nova stealing Alita's beserker body leading to her becoming a member of the Tuned hunting Nova who had recently been banished by Zalum for his illegal experimentations or something. Do THAT and I'd be in it for another 10 years wait. 

They have plans for a trilogy - if the money was there... As is, they are about breaking even. I'm hoping it'll make enough to get at least one sequel to finish off the story with Nova.

I would rather the movie had tied up the ending more tightly, just in case it does end up as a one-shot.

Really hoping for one!

2 hours ago, Thom said:

As is, they are about breaking even.

That's because they so horribly mismanaged the merchandising...

Alita-Battle-Angel-Alita-Dr-Ido-Zapan-Mi

Three weird little statues, and a $250 Hot Toys figure?  <_<

I haven't seen a toyetic property with such wasted potential since Mad Max: Fury Road.  :(

3 hours ago, tekering said:

That's because they so horribly mismanaged the merchandising...

Alita-Battle-Angel-Alita-Dr-Ido-Zapan-Mi

Three weird little statues, and a $250 Hot Toys figure?  <_<

I haven't seen a toyetic property with such wasted potential since Mad Max: Fury Road.  :(

Those are wonderful, they really look like the characters from "The Adventures of Mark Twain."

::Looks at topic again:::

Wait, these were for Battle Angel???

• 3 years later...

I'm all about keeping the flame burning for a sequel. Look how long we we waited for the first movie! Disney needs to loosen their sphincters and let other studios continue to do what they did before they were gobbled up. There's plenty of content in the manga to draw upon too. 

Those are good news. I would totally see a part 2 in cinemas (and buy the physical release too).

While I didn’t like the CG over Alita's face (Rosa Salazar looks like a perfect Alita) it was a good movie.

I'll chime in as well; this was definitely the best live-action adaptation of a manga/anime that I've seen, and on its own, without that foreknowledge, stood above a great many other action flicks. There needs to be at least one more film to tie up the Nova storyline. Anyway, I hope Landau and Rodriguez are able to drum up enough support to get a sequel made.

The only thing I really didn't like about ABA is that they did not give a complete ending. They left the sequel possibilities open, rather than ensuring the movie's main story was done and tied up, which for me has only hurt it in the long run. Vector should have remained the main villain throughout, with only a few moments hinting at another antagonist pulling the strings, and completely out of Alita's perspective. Leaving the Nova plot so exposed at the end leaves such a glaring opening that I'm less likely to watch, esp if it is a one and done.

I really wish movies and series would do that too. Leave the cliffhangers to mid-season, but finish the story out rather than risk having it cut short before it's finished.

8 hours ago, Thom said:

The only thing I really didn't like about ABA is that they did not give a complete ending. They left the sequel possibilities open, rather than ensuring the movie's main story was done and tied up, which for me has only hurt it in the long run. Vector should have remained the main villain throughout, with only a few moments hinting at another antagonist pulling the strings, and completely out of Alita's perspective. Leaving the Nova plot so exposed at the end leaves such a glaring opening that I'm less likely to watch, esp if it is a one and done.

I really wish movies and series would do that too. Leave the cliffhangers to mid-season, but finish the story out rather than risk having it cut short before it's finished.

I prefer it the way they did it: Vector was the most immediate and visible antagonist, and he met his demise, as did the lesser antagonists Chiren, Grewishka, and Zapan. So, from that POV, most of the baddies got their just desserts. Nova is the next layer of bad guy, a puppeteer sort of character, and I think it was fine to leave his story for a sequel.  I don't think the film would have been as fulfilling if Vector had gotten away, as he was the most direct threat to Alita and her friends and family, so he, rightly, became Alita's focus.

Anyway, with any luck, a sequel will be greenlighted and we'll get the resolution with Nova.

Just now, M&#x27;Kyuun said:

I prefer it the way they did it: Vector was the most immediate and visible antagonist, and he met his demise, as did the lesser antagonists Chiren, Grewishka, and Zapan. So, from that POV, most of the baddies got their just desserts. Nova is the next layer of bad guy, a puppeteer sort of character, and I think it was fine to leave his story for a sequel.  I don't think the film would have been as fulfilling if Vector had gotten away, as he was the most direct threat to Alita and her friends and family, so he, rightly, became Alita's focus.

Anyway, with any luck, a sequel will be greenlighted and we'll get the resolution with Nova.

Yes. But I think any hint of Nova should have been just that, a hint, and one that Alita never knew about, or was only slightly aware of. Everything else could happen as it did, obviously. Although, I had previously wrote that a better ending would have been showing her going out with Ido as a hunter/warrior rather than the rollerball scene...

Stepping outside, Ido put his arm around her shoulders, giving her a quick hug. One hand lifted to ruffle her hair before he gave her a little push. He was not at all happy about doing this. No, Alita was not his daughter of the flesh, but she was of his heart, and no father would wish such a dangerous life as he himself had chosen to be taken up by his children. But just as much as Alita was not his daughter in truth, was how much he could not stop her. Literally. She had her own mind and her own heart, one that was hurting no matter how artificial it may be. Just as his had, after his own Alita had died. Ido had been alone then, in many ways hoping that he would lose and end his pain. But now he was not. Somehow, he had found what he had not known he had even been looking for. And now, he would not let her be alone in this moment that so mirrored his own.

Come what may, they would stand together...

With a small, still sad smile at her 'father' Alita headed out into the dark street, looking back fondly as Ido followed with his case. Her eyes then lifted up to the dark night, lingering on the full moon and the memories of a past life. Those memories were who she was. This was who she was, a warrior standing against evil. Zalam, as it hung in the sky above their heads, was a false promise of salvation that had taken its last victim if she had her say. No, she would have her say. Soon. Soon Zalam would know that it was not all-powerful in Iron City anymore. Soon, the mysterious Nova would know that Alita would not let him do to any other as he had done Chiren. As he had done to her Hugo.

Her hand tightened around the hilt of the Damascus blade, a spark of blue fire curling around her fingers.

Soon, they would know that Alita was coming...'

Start banging soundtrack, roll credits.

Something like that would have closed the movie up a little tighter, without the challenge shot of her pointing her sword at Zalam/Nova leading into a sequel that, three years later, hasn't happened yet. Just my thoughts on that.

4 minutes ago, Thom said:

Yes. But I think any hint of Nova should have been just that, a hint, and one that Alita never knew about, or was only slightly aware of. Everything else could happen as it did, obviously. Although, I had previously wrote that a better ending would have been showing her going out with Ido as a hunter/warrior rather than the rollerball scene...

Something like that would have closed the movie up a little tighter, without the challenge shot of her pointing her sword at Zalam/Nova leading into a sequel that, three years later, hasn't happened yet. Just my thoughts on that.

Yeah, keeping Nova as a mere footnote or not mentioned at all might have reduced anticipation for a sequel. But if it's any consolation, Cameron's other project, a little film called Avatar, the highest grossing film ever, waited 13 years for its sequel. So, never say never. We just might be well into our grey hair when it finally comes out, though.