Battle Angel Alita

wolfx

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

Hmm, how do I convince mama bear that this is definitely a Valentine's Day movie we have to see? 

I can't offer any suggestions. My wife empathically told me 'Not interested'.

18 hours ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

Hmm, how do I convince mama bear that this is definitely a Valentine's Day movie we have to see? 

Convince her to do a 2 movie date night. Watch something what she likes and watch something that you like. And you made mama bear happy. Problem solved. :good:;) 

21 hours ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

My solution: Have kids who have had no choice but to develop the same taste in movies that you have.

Nine times out of ten, the movies that my lady doesn't want to go see are the same ones that my son is suggesting that we go see.

1 hour ago, Sanity is Optional said:

It looks good and everything, but I really wish I could find a manga version figure. 

Yeah. There used to be a 5-6in figure of it. Looks nice though. ;)

D824C56D-C806-4BE1-94EA-5C1421617C2F.jpeg.de1511f0d26f5a8cf8ea1d27f41de11d.jpeg

A76F2EC7-D5AA-402E-A5FB-32A584D4FC46.jpeg.c9d84efd00bf86ddbea8a4c1125f12a8.jpeg

FBA48C5D-830B-4BED-96C7-A26D251593AE.jpeg.c0bc026b73e6e85102fb8891aa186ca9.jpeg

08C7AE72-FCDD-4072-B70D-E71F0081CF48.jpeg.747d71df3e70c7aa6e3a32220f606a25.jpeg

I’m pretty sure some customizer will mold a proper anime head to be used in that Hot Toys figure. 

Edited by no3Ljm

10 hours ago, Big s said:

So far the early reviews are not too good. I may just wait and see if it ends up streaming somewhere, unless I hear it’s actually worth seeing.

The reviews will always suck (because the reviewers are always retarded). Just GO: 100 travel books doesn't equal a single trip. ~IAD

5 hours ago, sh9000 said:

When the first trailers came out, I thought they only enhanced the eyes of the original actress and added the cybernetic body, but it looks like it's more than just her eyes.......her nose and teeth look different, her jaw line is slightly different, looks like they added teeth in that chocolate eating scene and she may have lost a few pounds overall in the process.

I haven't watched the vid with audio (at work) so I don't know what the commentary is about, but it appears that she's a complete CGI character. 

I'll go watch this just for the visual effects.

Edited by peter

2 hours ago, Dynaman said:

The last reviewers I really paid attention to were Siskel and Ebert.  Even if I didn't agree with their opinion they gave actual info on the movie that I could base my own opinion on (without giving away the plot).  

"Siskel and Ebert"...  wow, back when 1999 was some incredibly far off day in the future.  Miss those guys.

:good:

4 hours ago, Dynaman said:

The last reviewers I really paid attention to were Siskel and Ebert.  Even if I didn't agree with their opinion they gave actual info on the movie that I could base my own opinion on (without giving away the plot).  

Same, Siskel and Roepert (the actual 2 guys doing the reviews, due to Ebert's cancer) were great at reviewing films. They had different enough tastes, and were objective about not just if they liked the movie, but if there were other types who would like/dislike it.

I think that was Ebert and the other guy since Siskel was ill and passed away, up until Ebert had a stroke. Even after the show Ebert did reviews for a while and if I remember At the Movies still went on for a couple seasons with new hosts, but didn’t last.

The internet was still new and the idea of online reviews was even newer at the time. That show was on on Sundays and as a kid nothing was on on sundays to look forward to before the simpsons era.

I think it would be good to divorce oneself of the notion that this is tightly akin to the anime.

It has a 'based on' feel, wherein they more than likely used aspects within their own interpretation. Not saying that is a bad thing.

But it will more than likely be its own thing.

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 1:23 PM, peter said:

When the first trailers came out, I thought they only enhanced the eyes of the original actress and added the cybernetic body, but it looks like it's more than just her eyes.......her nose and teeth look different, her jaw line is slightly different, looks like they added teeth in that chocolate eating scene and she may have lost a few pounds overall in the process.

I haven't watched the vid with audio (at work) so I don't know what the commentary is about, but it appears that she's a complete CGI character. 

I'll go watch this just for the visual effects.

I thought the same initially, but after comparing pics of Rosa to Alita, I realized the whole face was CG. Turns out, more than just her face, so yeah, the entirety of the character is a construct. I guess I can understand it, although that means they could have hired any decent actress to play the role. 

A little disappointed that they made it PG-13, but I get it from the POV of getting butts in seats; anime and manga translations haven't done well historically, GiTS being the most recent example, so I can understand making it accessible to younger viewers. I think this is going to be one of those films, however, where no prior knowledge of the manga or the anime helps it. I've seen the anime, but never read the manga, so my background is meager, which I think will only enhance my enjoyment. I hope it turns out to be a decent film.

6 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Remember, PG-13 lets you be incredibly violent to cyborgs, as long as it's only mechanical bits being destroyed, due to how the rating system works.

I wonder if the video/dvd formats will have a more visceral version available? its certain the cheesy way to make even more $$$ by releasing both movie PG-13 versions as well as a R version...