Battle Angel Alita

wolfx

At this point, I think the enlarged eyes are a forgone conclusion.  It's a little jarring, but I'm thinking I'll get used to them watching the film; it'll be part of her character, and it's a nod to her anime roots. I can live with it. I'm hoping it doesn't end up being another GiTS; while I thought it was ok, it just wasn't that engrossing. I'm hoping that the writing and plot offer more in Alita.

10 hours ago, Thom said:

Okay, February. February is good. If they need to sharpen some things up or just leave some extra time for marketing, I'm down!

I think it is more to do with competition - there are a surprising number of big movies getting released in December this year.  

Fox moved it back to coincide with the Chinese New Year. Chinese audiences apparently had a very good reception to the X-Men: Dark Phoenix trailer, so that one was moved from the February slot to summer '19 to maximize profit there, and this was moved from December to February to capitalize on being one of the first movies to come out after their new year. Fox may be releasing the PG-13 cut of Deadpool in December to cover that now open spot, I dunno.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Dangard Ace said:

I'm interested in how they're going to get the Hugo story to flow into the Motorball story in 2hrs.  I hope they pace this right.

Yeah, I was wondering the same.

Also, I'm not enthusiastic about changing the main villain from a psychopath reborn as a cybernetic maggot to the black criminal kingpin (who was actually more helpful than harmful to Alita in the manga).

The writing seems a bit simplistic, judging by the few snippets of dialog, but they're getting closer to the mark so far as the visuals emulating anime/manga.  I'm thinking the plot is going to be simple, with lots of tedious explanatory dialog for the uninitiated (kinda like all these shows on History, Travel, Discovery etc where they use ground penetrating radar, and they have to give explanatory exposition every single time- drives me crazy), a weird sappy love story, and lots of goreless violence. 

Still gonna see it, though.:p

21 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Yeah, I was wondering the same.

Also, I'm not enthusiastic about changing the main villain from a psychopath reborn as a cybernetic maggot to the black criminal kingpin (who was actually more helpful than harmful to Alita in the manga).

I think it's too early to tell whether they've actually done that, or it's just a diversion from the actual plot.  Recutting scenes to make it look like two characters are having a conversation is something trailers do all the time, while they may be completely unrelated scenes.  The dialogue makes it seem like he wants her dead, but he could just as easily be setting up someone to die at her hands.

Also, unless they've significantly rearranged things, that character won't last into the latter half of the movie.

I'm not going to get overly excited, because it does seem like the movie's trying to cover too much ground, but I'll be very interested to see how it plays out. :) 

• 2 weeks later...

I recently watched parts one and two of the anime, but I have no connection to the manga, so I'm curious if that's where the arena bit from the trailer is coming. The anime, with good reason, seems a bit dated, and the dialog left a little to be desired (watched the ADV dub) at times. However, the core idea is cool, and perhaps they drew more on the manga roots than the anime. Guess we'll see.

If this proves successful, I'd be down with a live-action adaptation of Megazone 23. I recently watched the anime in its entirety for the first time, and I thought it was something that would translate well to a movie or a series. That said, the Garland almost felt like a shoehorned plot device at times, especially in pt 3 where they use Garland simulators for controlling the network, if only to have a transforming mech in there. Overall, I liked the story arc and the changes in Shogo's character in each part, which I think would be interesting to explore in a series. And though I critique it, I love transforming mecha, and I think the Garland is a cool design, so by all means, keep it in there.

I'm guessing MZ23 was the inspiration for Alex Proya's Dark City, minus the transforming motorcycle.

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 6:12 PM, tekering said:

If this film hadn't already been deep into production when Ghost in the Shell bombed, the project would probably have been abandoned.

I don't think anyone expects this film to make money.  :unsure:

That toy looks gorgeous but that face looks generic and nothing like Alita/Yoko

3 hours ago, Marzan said:

If they didn't insist on the huge eyes, I think this could have a shot at being the first manga adaptation that hits.

What perplexes the large eyes being kept in the movie is that at least half of the comments after the first trailer hit were negative about the design. Enough time has passed that they could have shrunk them and re-rendered the frames by now.

26 minutes ago, Mazinger said:

What perplexes the large eyes being kept in the movie is that at least half of the comments after the first trailer hit were negative about the design. Enough time has passed that they could have shrunk them and re-rendered the frames by now.

You'd think they would... when I went to see Fantastic Beasts: the Crimes of Grindelwald over the Thanksgiving holiday break the people in the theater with us seemed pretty put off by the trailer because of the character's huge eyes.  (One of the people sitting behind me very audibly said "what the f***?" when there was a closeup of her face.)

Edited by Seto Kaiba

42 minutes ago, Petrov27 said:

yeah the eyes are just odd - I never took the manga to imply Alita had larger eyes than anyone else, human or otherwise so it is a weird thing to do in the movie really and a big distraction....

In the manga, she's called "octopus lips" by at least one person, they should have gone with that.

I suspect it was just a (poor) choice to make it seem more anime-eqeue, as well as to make her seem more offputtingly artificial.