Battle Angel Alita

wolfx

Somewhere in my bag of things at my dad's, I have a copy of a GN of Last Order with Cameron's signature in sharpie (I got it when he was touring overseas & visiting military bases and ships to promote Avatar in 2006-7{?} and he visited The Ike. huge lines just to say hello but he had a very large smile when I presented the copy for him to sign on. He was very keen on making it then but he admitted he wasn't sure when he could, because Avatar clearly was going to be a huge time sink for him...)

How popular is Alita? Or rather, how big is the property as part of the (inter)national zeitgeist? She really seems to be time-locked to the 90s, and I'd find it hard to believe that this series specifically resonates with the modern day. It might be better to just make a new story using thematic/design elements from Alita rather than an all-out remake...

I mean, I don't have particularly strong feelings about the series. Do other people here have strong nostalgia for it?

Well right, but I mean how much have you been itching to get more of it? I loved me some Mermaid Saga but I don't really feel like it needs a modern remake. But then again, I wouldn't complain if one came about, so maybe that's the sentiment here.

I think it's solid sci-if that can succeed today. If there is any issue it's because Elysium rips it off pretty blatantly, but does a poor job with the subject matter. I could see people groaning, and wondering why they're making another one of those.

How popular is Alita? Or rather, how big is the property as part of the (inter)national zeitgeist? She really seems to be time-locked to the 90s, and I'd find it hard to believe that this series specifically resonates with the modern day. It might be better to just make a new story using thematic/design elements from Alita rather than an all-out remake...

I mean, I don't have particularly strong feelings about the series. Do other people here have strong nostalgia for it?

Well for starters we don't really know how they're going to make this Alita into some modern day cyberpunk filmage.....since this is all we got, 1 actress to rule them all. As for popularity? Well, the manga is still going after 20 years. So obviously there's still some form of popularity. Yukito did state in his latest tale of the cyborg that he's aiming to conclude it with the Mars Chronicles which after some reading seems to be a blend of past and present storylines of Alita/Yoko since her return to mars at the end of Last Order.

Have they said what rating they are going for. I remember that poor dog in the anime going to pieces and makes me think R, but if they keep it to cyborg and robot fighting it would reduce the blood down to PG, but with Robert directing it could go either way with a lean toward R. Either way I'm more excited about this than most movie news especially after those announcements.

I wasn't aware the manga was still ongoing. Wow.

I think it's solid sci-if that can succeed today. If there is any issue it's because Elysium rips it off pretty blatantly, but does a poor job with the subject matter. I could see people groaning, and wondering why they're making another one of those.

Elysium is bad for many reasons, but I'm not sure I saw much Alita in it. (But then my memories of both are super faded, so... eh.) Either way, I'll take your word for it. I agree it CAN succeed today, just that given the current Hollywood blockbuster culture, I'm a bit more cynical about its chances.

Have they said what rating they are going for. I remember that poor dog in the anime going to pieces and makes me think R, but if they keep it to cyborg and robot fighting it would reduce the blood down to PG, but with Robert directing it could go either way with a lean toward R. Either way I'm more excited about this than most movie news especially after those announcements.

Definitely would think R if they are sticking to the original level of gore at all? Aside from the dog there is a cyborg that eats human brains - there are some quite disturbing panels in the original of that happening....

• 3 months later...

It seems that the live action film project is proceeding as planned and casting is well under way.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-09-22/james-cameron-alita-battle-angel-film-casts-deadpool-ed-skrein/.106755

I love, just love the casting of Christoph Waltz as Ido. I'd love it even more if he was Desty Nova.

Now if we can just get Cameron to replace Rodriguez at the last minute and we can jump for joy.

• 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I’m so psyched for this. I’m gonna be the only one watching this in my town, but I don’t care. It’ll be like seeing an old friend again.

do we know who’s playing Alita?

56 minutes ago, Marzan said:

I’m so psyched for this. I’m gonna be the only one watching this in my town, but I don’t care. It’ll be like seeing an old friend again.

do we know who’s playing Alita?

Yes...Rosa Salazar.

Yeah... one of my all time favs here so some serious trepidation about a movie version but that trailer wasn't too bad - cautiously optimistic I guess. The big CG'ed eyes are a little weird tho but I get what they are trying to emulate (ha just look at my avatar pic lol....)

Edited by Petrov27

Is there a mass brainwash going on? I loved the manga, but they were so full of gore I felt kinda filthy after reading. This looks like a completely sanitized OC YA Disney version of the Scrapyard. And don't even get me started on this Dollfie version of Alita.

I'd rather watch Dany Verissimo in B13. It's closer to the source material...

28 minutes ago, Marzan said:

I don't care about the shape and size of her eyes. As long as there's a good screenwriter and respect for the original story and characters, I'm good.

Analyzing the trailer, they will adapt the 2 ovas from the manga.