What ever happened.........

1 VF-1 2NV

Pure speculation of marketing strategy:

1. Shows off 1J prototype to whet fans' appetite

2. Long awaited release FAST Packs end of Aug

3. Dangle Hikki 1S as a carrot to enhance sales of FPs for those who want the Strike Valk of their dreams but may not have desire/budget to buy FPs for other 1/48s. No extra development cost for Hikki 1S, just change the paint stripe, and it's "improved" too.

4. Also hope fans will buy it to:

a) Stave off hunger for 1J

b) Get an improved 1S

c) Support the line

d) Complete their collection

e) All of the above

Edited by drifand

Nods Nods :(

What to do? But we cant seem to get rid of these endless addiction for macross goodies.

Must stop myself, but my limbs dun seems to listen to me.

Hey drifand, will you be getting the 1/48 VF-1J or the VF-1S Hikaru, cos the VF-1J is your fav battroid in Macross line? Boy i do hope they would release the GPB armour in the future as an addon. Thats the only thing missing from completing the Dyrl or TV line.

Cheers

Nods Nods :(

What to do? But we cant seem to get rid of these endless addiction for macross goodies.

Must stop myself, but my limbs dun seems to listen to me.

Hey drifand, will you be getting the 1/48 VF-1J or the VF-1S Hikaru, cos the VF-1J is your fav battroid in Macross line? Boy i do hope they would release the GPB armour in the future as an addon. Thats the only thing missing from completing the Dyrl or TV line.

Cheers

Yes, I'd probably get the 1/48 1J as it is my favorite VF-1 design. I had planned to get a VF-1S too but was totally cheesed off by the lazy production effort with regards to the infamous seam line. I've learnt to keep my expectations low for Yamato products. Despite the perfect transformation of the 1/48, I'm more happy with the overall proportions of the 1/60 line-up. But since the 1/48s are the premium product for Yamato, they seem to have decided to shortchange the 1/60s in little bitsy ways: no improvements to bad shoulder design, slightly shorter than ideal FPs, and no news of FP upgrades for quite a while.

Here's another guess: Once the 1/48 FPs are out and they've secured sufficient sales, THEN maybe they'll announce 1/60 FPs, along with the Destroids and Zentradi armor to kick-start the 1/60 line again. This will probably be the same situation with regards to the GBP-1S armor. If the 1/60 version comes out first, some fans will be happy enough to have it and not spend the bigger bucks on the 1/48 version. Although all this speculation is just that - specualtion, it does get me feeling jaded when everything seems to work out so logically. They can get away with it too, because Big-B dropped the ball and left the court. I just tell myself I seriously don't need every single Macross toy ever released to enjoy the franchise. If a company wants my dollars, it's got to meet my standards - strictly my personal opinion.

Yes, I'd probably get the 1/48 1J as it is my favorite VF-1 design. I had planned to get a VF-1S too but was totally cheesed off by the lazy production effort with regards to the infamous seam line. I've learnt to keep my expectations low for Yamato products. Despite the perfect transformation of the 1/48, I'm more happy with the overall proportions of the 1/60 line-up. But since the 1/48s are the premium product for Yamato, they seem to have decided to shortchange the 1/60s in little bitsy ways: no improvements to bad shoulder design, slightly shorter than ideal FPs, and no news of FP upgrades for quite a while.

Here's another guess: Once the 1/48 FPs are out and they've secured sufficient sales, THEN maybe they'll announce 1/60 FPs, along with the Destroids and Zentradi armor to kick-start the 1/60 line again. This will probably be the same situation with regards to the GBP-1S armor. If the 1/60 version comes out first, some fans will be happy enough to have it and not spend the bigger bucks on the 1/48 version. Although all this speculation is just that - specualtion, it does get me feeling jaded when everything seems to work out so logically. They can get away with it too, because Big-B dropped the ball and left the court. I just tell myself I seriously don't need every single Macross toy ever released to enjoy the franchise. If a company wants my dollars, it's got to meet my standards - strictly my personal opinion.

Agree totally. Thats why initially skipped out on the first few 1/48 releases and got myself a low vis and max VF-1A after the improvements were implemented. Its a sort of market strategy to switch between product lines by altenating their frequency of releases to create sufficient interest in the local and overseas market. If they would to release the whole complete range at one go, probably you wouldnt see the 1/48 or 1/60, 1/72 scale doing so well. Im restricting my options to the 1/72 and 1/48 scale at the moment, probably a few 1/60s destroids or zentradi units in the future

Cheers

3. Dangle Hikki 1S as a carrot to enhance sales of FPs for those who want the Strike Valk of their dreams but may not have desire/budget to buy FPs for other 1/48s. No extra development cost for Hikki 1S, just change the paint stripe, and it's "improved" too.

4. Also hope fans will buy it to:

I think of above, more of:

"3. Release Hikaru VF-1S to give fans what they want"

Because I recall clearly that A LOT of fans, not only here on MW, wanted a Hikaru VF-1S.

Also, the seam thing was not an issue at all. It was just a case of some folks having too much free time on their hands and nitpicked every little bit of plastic on a toy.

And the fans are clamouring for... ? GBP-1S.

What do we get? A non-canon VF-1J Super Valk. Whee! Pay more for what you really wanted.

I don't worship blindly at the altar of Yamato.

I'm really fighting with this one, too. I WANT a VF-1S Hikaru, but at the same time, I OWN a 1A. I don't see the point in dropping 140+ for yet another Hikaru valk when I already have one. However, I am considering getting a 1J.

What do we get? A non-canon VF-1J Super Valk. Whee! Pay more for what you really wanted.

Non-cannon VF-1j? you mean the 1/60th version. Graham already mentioned the 1/48 !J is not coming with Fast packs, Yamato just slapped them on for display purposes at the show the 1j was unveiled at.

Non-cannon VF-1j? you mean the 1/60th version. Graham already mentioned the 1/48 !J is not coming with Fast packs, Yamato just slapped them on for display purposes at the show the 1j was unveiled at.

I'm sorry about that - I must have missed it in one of those 20+ page threads back on the old boards. It just seemed to be another case of milking the fans for as much as they can. I sincerely hope the 1J is released without the superfluous FPs. If anything the "special" TV FPs should be sold with Hikaru's 1S.

Yes, and it's only a matter of time that we see one.

Someone already answered this one :p

Awww...you make it sound as if I do. :blink:

I'm a fan of theirs, yes, but I do acknowledge any problems that their toy has.

I just don't make it my personal mission to slam the brand, and nitpick about every seam, peg, screw, paint chip, hole, color, plastic thickness, head size, hand size, ball joint, shoulder/elbow movement range, materials used for certain parts, the color of the intakes, whether or not it is canon, and just about every minute issue I can find about it, everytime there is a topic to be said about it, and all of that, just because I had a bad first or second experience about one of their products.

I have better things to do with my time, and my toys than to sit on a table and look at it under a microscope all the time. :rolleyes:

Awww...you make it sound as if I do. :blink:

I just don't make it my personal mission to slam the brand, and nitpick about every seam, peg, screw, paint chip, hole, color, plastic thickness, head size, hand size, ball joint, shoulder/elbow movement range, materials used for certain parts, the color of the intakes, whether or not it is canon, and just about every minute issue I can find about it, everytime there is a topic to be said about it, and all of that, just because I had a bad first or second experience about one of their products.

I have better things to do with my time, and my toys than to sit on a table and look at it under a microscope all the time. :rolleyes:

AMEN OMNI! *Stands and claps*

I think some people need to accept the fact that Yamato clearly hates them, and produces cetain variants just to spite them.

Bah! I think they hate us all just because they leave the best looking valk with a fricking seam line on its face just so the other ugly duckling can compete with its beauty. <_<

Let me get this straight....

Fans bitch and moan about "too much DYRL"

Yamato produces a TV VF-1J

Fans scream "OMG, are those FAST packs? That's not canon!"

And that was just in the 1/60 days...Fast forward a year or so:

Fans bitch and moan about "too much 1/48 DYRL"

Yamato produces a TV VF-1J, with TV correct Fast packs just for show.

Fans scream "OMG, are those FAST packs? That's not canon!"

Graham's already explained that there's plenty of new stuff a'comming. In the meantime, they release variants that fans have asked for and it's still not good enough? Some folks should just stick to Bandai.

I have better things to do with my time, and my toys than to sit on a table and look at it under a microscope all the time. 

Bingo.

Thanks, Omni. B)

Why isn't the Super 1J canon? If Hikaru wasn't such a screw up, his 1J would've survived untill the time Fast Packs were around. And I doubt there wasn't anyone with that color scheme flying around at that time.

If Max and Mirias 1J can have Fast packs.... so could Hikarus. :ph34r:

I think some people need to accept the fact that Yamato clearly hates them, and produces cetain variants just to spite them.

I heard that Yamato was also known to sneak over to those peoples' houses and steal all their beer. :p

I heard that Yamato was also known to sneak over to those peoples' houses and steal all their beer.  :p

So that's what happened to my beer last weekend! You know what...the bastards must have hit me on the head while I was sleeping too, becasue when I woke up I had a killer headache.

Edited by bsu legato

Mr Toiletbowl, Mr toiletbowl, your my only friend! BLAAARRGGGHHHH, Oh my god, I want to die! :rolleyes:

Honestly guys, lets not rehash old arguments, you can do nothing to change peoples opinions, so debating it is pointless....for those of us who have been around a while, we all know each others stances on these issues, let us just accept it and agree to disagree and move on.

Larry :lol:

Mr Toiletbowl, Mr toiletbowl, your my only friend! BLAAARRGGGHHHH, Oh my god, I want to die! :rolleyes:

Honestly guys, lets not rehash old arguments, you can do nothing to change peoples opinions, so debating it is pointless....for those of us who have been around a while, we all know each others stances on these issues, let us just accept it and agree to disagree and move on.

Larry :lol:

Right on!

Aw OK. I'll learn to change my standards and be one of the crowd. Give me another VF-11B scenario! Broken hips are no problem at all. And while you're at it, keep making bad joints and poor fitting parts. No need to check if a gimmick actually works properly before producing it.. Fix it later and make the fans buy it all over again. No need to go the extra mile for us fans right from the start - "good enough" is fine for the majority here, even at 120 a pop.

I guess some of us here will never see eye to eye with regards to Yamato. Never will. Yup.

well, I only have a 1S 1/48, I figured since I have every other Focker 1S, I might as well be complete. I was planning on getting a 1/48 Max for the improvements, but I am going to wait for the 1J Hikaru as my last 1/48 VF-1. I just can't afford to have the same thing sitting next to each other. I'm looking at my collection now and I am VF-1'd out, I just moved stuff around to rearrange and I count 21 VF-1s, from Bandai/Yamato/Toynami, that's not even counting the Banprestos or model kits I'm not done putting together yet. But I must have ol' pointy chin in 1/48 when it's released.

All I really want for the VF-1 now is GBP armor.

* grammar getting worse...no sleep.... or is that grammer getting worser * :p

Edited by Chowser

Aw OK. I'll learn to change my standards and be one of the crowd.

Well, we can't all be "discerning toy snobs," can we? It's a good thing you're here to tell us unwashed masses what's what.

It's too late at night to dig up all the threads from the old forums where we criticised Yamato, but I can guaran-damn-tee you that nobody was satisfied with broken VF-11 hips. Just what is your beef with the new 1J anyhow? The toy hasn't even been released yet and you're already starting with the "Worst Toy Ever" routine. Are you going on vacation, and decided to get some preemptive complaining in? Ever consider that you're taking this stuff a little too seriously? These are mass produced toys made in China, not the freakin' Franklin Mint.

Well, we can't all be "discerning toy snobs," can we? It's a good thing you're here to tell us unwashed masses what's what.

It's too late at night to dig up all the threads from the old forums where we criticised Yamato, but I can guaran-damn-tee you that nobody was satisfied with broken VF-11 hips. Just what is your beef with the new 1J anyhow? The toy hasn't even been released yet and you're already starting with the "Worst Toy Ever" routine. Are you going on vacation, and decided to get some preemptive complaining in? Ever consider that you're taking this stuff a little too seriously? These are mass produced toys made in China, not the freakin' Franklin Mint.

Since you're directing your post at me, let me clarify a few points for you, Bsu.

I haven't bitched about the 1/48 VF-1J TOY. It's going to be exactly what every other 1/48 is like, good parts and bad. I like the head sculpt, which is the only really significant value apart from the other 1/48s. What I felt strongly about (but admit I was wrong), was that the pix of the proto showed the 1J with the FPs. It cheesed me off because it looked like Yamato was going to use the opportunity to sell the toy at an inflated price with a pair of FPs that was never used by the mech in the TV series. Now the TV-style FPs looked great, but it would be even better if they were released with Hikaru's VF-1S - then a premium price would be pretty well justified, no? Some of us fans dream of the 1J sold with the GBP-1S, or at least having the opportunity to buy both. It really bites to have to fork over extra for the 1J if it comes with armor you don't want/need.

So - it is not a "Worst Toy Ever" issue at all, thank you very much.

About the 11B hips - you're probably right! We ALL got shafted by Yamato. Some of us just don't feel the pain as much as others. And please don't patronize me - I'm not a toy snob. I can appreciate a beautifully detailed 100yen ZOID minifig as much as a 9800+yen SOC. If the gashapon turns out to be crap, then I'll call it that. I thought the SOC Daikumaryu wasn't worth the asking price - and I never bought it. And that goes for Macross toys as well. Just because everyone else thinks something is cool don't make it so. Good night.

Edited by drifand

Come on guys, let's not make this the first big tussle of the new boards! Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and it seems clear that nothing anybody says will change that opinion. So again, let us agree to disagree and move on....if you like it, buy it, if you don't, then don't...it is really just that simple.

Larry

No one is asking you to do that you know. :huh:

What we are asking though, is that you give the whole "Yamato has too many flaws blah blah" a friggin rest. Let the people who like the Yamato's enjoy what's coming. Let them judge for themselves what sucks or what's cool.

No need to resurrect the same issues all over again. It's gotten really really old and tired.

That's all that we [Yamato Altar Boys] are asking.

Drif - you make valid points but you take it everything to the extreme. Yamato's are expensive but if I remember right, Bandai was selling their Mac7 valks and reissues for the exact same price as Yamato 1/60's. Bandai valks were much simpler in construction and lacked the detail and accessories of Yamato. Jump over the ocean and we notice that Toynami sells their semi detailed MPC valks for even higher than Yamato. Looking around at other collectible, adult geared toys, I see similar expensive price tags. Everything that is cool and something I want, is never cheap. Thus, either everyone is trying to rip us off, or things are more expensive to produce than we think.

As far as Yamato trying to screw fans, you have to agree that Yamato has done far more for Macross fans than anyone else. Sure, there are lots of things we still want them to do but it seems greedy to demand more when they have already done so much. I have received Yamato's with bad QC but it doesn't affect my opinion of every single Yamato ever made.

Truth is that the 1/48 is the most detailed, accurate looking vf-1 toy ever made. There is room for improvement but I doubt you will ever see anything better. I understand some people enjoy the more toy looking 1/55 valkyries but that doesn't take anything away from the 1/48.

Drif - you make valid points but you take it everything to the extreme.  Yamato's are expensive but if I remember right, Bandai was selling their Mac7 valks and reissues for the exact same price as Yamato 1/60's.  Bandai valks were much simpler in construction and lacked the detail and accessories of Yamato.  Jump over the ocean and we notice that Toynami sells their semi detailed MPC valks for even higher than Yamato.  Looking around at other collectible, adult geared toys, I see similar expensive price tags.  Everything that is cool and something I want, is never cheap.  Thus, either everyone is trying to rip us off, or things are more expensive to produce than we think. 

As far as Yamato trying to screw fans, you have to agree that Yamato has done far more for Macross fans than anyone else.  Sure, there are lots of things we still want them to do but it seems greedy to demand more when they have already done so much.  I have received Yamato's with bad QC but it doesn't affect my opinion of every single Yamato ever made. 

Truth is that the 1/48 is the most detailed, accurate looking vf-1 toy ever made.  There is room for improvement but I doubt you will ever see anything better.  I understand some people enjoy the more toy looking 1/55 valkyries but that doesn't take anything away from the 1/48.

Well said.

Besides, Yamato never forces any one to buy these toys, if you do not like the variants just skip it.

Edited by Otaru Ikari