GI Joe lurches towards live-action filmdom (i.e. G.I. Joe live action)

I also got the feeling that the GI Joe "jumping to dodge missiles in slow mo" was a total rip off of TF movie where Ironhide did that.

But you must admit that the suits are no less cheesy than people with NO ARMOR shooting machine guns at each other at close range and never hurting one another. Or people firing RPGs at vehicles, blowing them up, but having the drivers or pilots jump to safety.

The suits are the only plausible way I can see GI Joe working in live action/real life.

Although it is kind of stupid to consider that Cobra can't come up with GI Joe suit-armor piercing bullets...

Pete

That was a good review. I guess I'm not as excited as that guy was... but it sounds like they took a cue from the first Transformers film not to go too far out left field.
If the movie adaptation comic is as accurate as I hope it is, there is a neat revelation regarding Storm Shadow/Snake Eyes that ties into the Marvel comics.....

The figures have turned out to be surprisingly good, the main problem being the vehicles sans Steel Crusher and alpha vehicles, being far too small.

If the movie adaptation comic is as accurate as I hope it is, there is a neat revelation regarding Storm Shadow/Snake Eyes that ties into the Marvel comics.....

I think that plot point is permanently fixed into the Snake-Eyes/Storm Shadow-mythos now. I've seen it used in various places outside of Marvel Comics's take on the franchise.

Am i the 1st on MW to give a review? :p

Just back from a special preview screening.

I found it pretty awesome....and definately better than Bayformers 2. There was enough fanservice in there to satiate the fans, Baroness is hawt....action was non-stop....Duke was kinda meh but Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow was awesome. Pretty cool movie. Never a dull moment.

As far as SEALs and other special forces level of strength. I can't mention specifics, but I have first hand, on the ground knowledge of just how strong these guys are. Truth is, they aren't really.

There are all endurance athletes. Not powerlifters. Now all of em can do say 20 pullups which is a serious strength achievement, but most weigh under 170.

The real issue is training risk... To gain strength you have to undergo risk in lifting heavy. It costs over $4mil to train one SEAL (at their peak deployable value) , so they are not encouraged to take risks in their weight training.

The only Twitter I check: http://twitter.com/cobracommander

At Home Depot and feeling nostalgic. I don't think I've browsed for homemade bomb components since grade school.

ROTFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!LMAO!!!!! THAT IS GREAT!!!

The real issue is training risk... To gain strength you have to undergo risk in lifting heavy. It costs over $4mil to train one SEAL (at their peak deployable value) , so they are not encouraged to take risks in their weight training.

I should use a similar argument with my girlfriend. See, I'm just starting out with this physical fitness thing. I'm not horribly fat, but I just turned thirty, and noticed the gutt is getting a bit visible and that I haven't moved my sorry butt since high school when I played basketball on the varsity team. So ... having in the past epically failed at sustaining long term work out routines (because I'd go to a fitness club and do everything there was to do for three hours and then everything would hurt the next day and I'd never go back)... I decided to take the slow but steady road. Only 1 kilometer on the exercise bike, 50 sit ups, and using one of those rung/metal things as a temp substitute for weight lifting to get the muscles back to life. But she goes and tells me that I should be doing 10 km a day... and I have been for the last week...but it totally sucks. I feel like I actually don't do anything to loose my gutt, end up being too tired to do my sit ups/ stomach crunches and barely manage the weight rung thingy... Plus - I used to have a routine ever day... but now it's like...10 km..dag...I'm beat... can't do anything the next day... stupid girlfriends :( ... I should maybe stop listening to her and tell her to get back on her diet which she quit like a month ago...

umm... But thank you David for the Cobra Commander twitter link! That is AWESOME!

Pete

I found it pretty awesome....and definately better than Bayformers 2. There was enough fanservice in there to satiate the fans, Baroness is hawt....action was non-stop....Duke was kinda meh but Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow was awesome. Pretty cool movie. Never a dull moment.

Did she have a European accent? :huh: Like the baroness of G.I. Joe: Resolute.

Just saw the movie in Hong Kong tonight. Quite a big turnout... GI Joe is not as well known in this part of the world, but I guess the marketing department has done a decent job in attracting the main crowd.

As a casual fan, I only know some of the history, and did not have the baggage that many die-hard fans have. Thus, I was able to enjoy it much better than Transformers. Here are some thoughts (spoiler-alert)

Things I don't like:

- The whole idea of Snake-eyes taking a vow of silence is silly; I personally think a disfiguring injury would have been more effective

- The backstory of Baroness, somehow I find her being mind-controlled kind of lame

- The lips on Snake-eyes' mask, again, very silly and takes away from his coolness

- The accelerator suits!!! In any other science fiction movie, they would have been okay, but not in GIJoe, please... reminds me too much of Iron Man

Things I do like:

- Storm shadow was bad-ass

- Destro and Cobra Commander were cool villains

- All the jets and vehicles... they were awesome. Now if only the night raven could transform

Overall, the movie is very entertaining and not campy like I was afraid it would be. I enjoyed it much better than TF2.

Edited by Ivan

Well, the nails in the coffin are finally hitting down hard....

GI Joe won't screen for critics

*chortle* :)

Did you know most of those blogs and website owners have received toys and promo gift packages from Hasbro? Majority of them like the perks they get and won't bite the hand that feeds them. Movie could still be fun but I bet it will still be bad movie. Dumb stupid fun.

I hear that it's open for a sequel. Any truth to the speculation?

I hear that it's open for a sequel. Any truth to the speculation?

Yea it is.....it was known since the filming that its called the "Rise of Cobra" and the organization wasn't formed during the movie's timeline.

Well, since Paramount is denying me the entertainment of a good movie, it's up to the critics to provide the entertainment by making me laugh at a bad movie. :)

First up, Empire Magazine

Bond without the style and Team America without the bellylaughs. The moronic script and nonsensical plot are good for a snicker, though.

Not bad, but I want more :)

Did you know most of those blogs and website owners have received toys and promo gift packages from Hasbro? Majority of them like the perks they get and won't bite the hand that feeds them. Movie could still be fun but I bet it will still be bad movie. Dumb stupid fun.

Paramount can buy as many shill reviews with free toys as they like, G.I. Joe doesn't have a chance in hell of beating Team America!

I could care less about no screenings for critics. I rarely agree with critics.

If I watch it and I think it sucks, then to me it sucks. If I like it, then I like it.

But seems like most people will bitch about it sucking before seeing it, then pay to see it, whine about it, buy the DVD when it comes out, and bitch about it raping their childhood. They'll probably buy all the toys supporting it, and bitch about that too.

Edited by Gaijin

The worst part about not showing a movie to critics is that it makes all the critics decide the movie will suck, then the critics go to see it and announce that it does, indeed, suck just like they knew it would. Besides that, the movie is friggin' GI Joe, there were very slim odds any critic was going to love it, they'd lose all their critic cred in the critic circles they run in. Of course, most movies that don't screen do indeed suck.

Edited by jenius

Reviews for this film are emerging. Garth from Dark Horizons seems to be fairly kind to it to me. The last line of his review, however, is VERY funny......

"As a cheesy, mindless kid blockbuster it's perfectly mediocre, those already labeling it a highlight of the Summer though need to seriously get their heads examined."

Here is the rest, enjoy.....

http://www.darkhorizons.com/reviews/949/G-...e-Rise-of-Cobra

Taksraven

Reviews for this film are emerging. Garth from Dark Horizons seems to be fairly kind to it to me. The last line of his review, however, is VERY funny......

"As a cheesy, mindless kid blockbuster it's perfectly mediocre, those already labeling it a highlight of the Summer though need to seriously get their heads examined."

Here is the rest, enjoy.....

http://www.darkhorizons.com/reviews/949/G-...e-Rise-of-Cobra

Taksraven

Not sure....but he may be right. My expectations of the show were pretty low and after TF 2 i thought it may suck more....but was pretty surprised later. Sure it was cheesy and all...but it made hella more sense than TF did. In fact i think GIJOE did not take itself too seriously whereas TF sorta did....that was the main difference. Oh that and also Stephen Sommers seems to be way better than Michael Bay in scene transitions. ^_^

If I watch it and I think it sucks, then to me it sucks. If I like it, then I like it.

But seems like most people will bitch about it sucking before seeing it, then pay to see it, whine about it, buy the DVD when it comes out, and bitch about it raping their childhood. They'll probably buy all the toys supporting it, and bitch about that too.

:lol: :lol:

Quoted for truth!

I think thats mostly people here and other boards like this.. but yes. Great post.