GI Joe lurches towards live-action filmdom (i.e. G.I. Joe live action)

You know what? No you can't tell me that fans hated every scifi element of the comic, yeah most of the space-man looking guys made the "Larry Hates Me" list and died quick deaths... but come on one of the most popular characters who was used quite often was Zartan, the guy who was a genetically engineered shape shifter/master of personal holograms who could assume any form at will... that was scifi in the 80s, it's still scifi today...

That was more on the ninja side of the story if you read the comics. I have no problem with ninjas, as do most fans of the comic. Thats why the ninjas featured a lot in the stories of Hama. The hi-tech guys always got wasted.

The guys who are going to buy the DVDs and therefore provide A LOT of the revenue for this project are going to be mostly the fans from the `80s. Those fans want something authentic, not something dumbed down for Europeans.

btw found this on Youtube, even in the `80s GI Joe was toned down for international broadcast:

That was more on the ninja side of the story if you read the comics. I have no problem with ninjas, as do most fans of the comic. Thats why the ninjas featured a lot in the stories of Hama. The hi-tech guys always got wasted.

The guys who are going to buy the DVDs and therefore provide A LOT of the revenue for this project are going to be mostly the fans from the `80s. Those fans want something authentic, not something dumbed down for Europeans.

btw found this on Youtube, even in the `80s GI Joe was toned down for international broadcast:

I DID Read the comics... I've read every issue of the main marvel series and the main devil's due series up until I finally dropped out after the Sei Tin story arc.

It dosn't change the fact the Zartan did have high tech gadgets and genetic engineering that gave him a super power. And of course there were the holograms he used to disguise his base, cobra helicopter and motorcycle.

Yeah the International Heroes song was also used for the Dic Operation Dragonfly, opening.

I have no problem with ninjas, as do most fans of the comic.

That depends on who you speak to, most casual fans love Snake Eyes, most diehards hate him. I like him but he is over rated, and over used. Naming the comic "Gi Joe starring Snake Eyes" in the 90's was not cool. He is the epitome of a deus ex machina.

Thats why the ninjas featured a lot in the stories of Hama.

Storm shadow and SE featured heavily since they were the only joe and Cobra who had ties to each other. It didn't help that they are amongst Hama's favorite characters. When Snake Eyes was revealed to be a ninja, and stories started focusing around him, and many other characters ended up being ninjas(Firefly), thats when a lot of people started to get turned off.

The hi-tech guys always got wasted.

Not really. BattleForce 2000 did, but most joe techs are still alive in the comic.

The guys who are going to buy the DVDs and therefore provide A LOT of the revenue for this project are going to be mostly the fans from the `80s.

No they are casual movie goers who want to see the next big summer action flick. The diehard fans may provide revenue for the anniversary line, but they will not compromise the majority of the people watching it. Seeing as a ton of people bitch about the movie daily at HissTank, I highly doubt they will be the ones compromising the majority of the audience. Adults, teens, parents and kids will most likely watch the movie. I don't doubt that old school fans will watch it, but I doubt they will be the majority.

Those fans want something authentic, not something dumbed down for Europeans.

I don't think its dumbed down for them. RAH had joes from all over the world, so I don't see why the old name has to be used for the new movie.

That depends on who you speak to, most casual fans love Snake Eyes, most diehards hate him. I like him but he is over rated, and over used. Naming the comic "Gi Joe starring Snake Eyes" in the 90's was not cool. He is the epitome of a deus ex machina.

Storm shadow and SE featured heavily since they were the only joe and Cobra who had ties to each other. It didn't help that they are amongst Hama's favorite characters. When Snake Eyes was revealed to be a ninja, and stories started focusing around him, and many other characters ended up being ninjas(Firefly), thats when a lot of people started to get turned off.

Not really. BattleForce 2000 did, but most joe techs are still alive in the comic.

No they are casual movie goers who want to see the next big summer action flick. The diehard fans may provide revenue for the anniversary line, but they will not compromise the majority of the people watching it. Seeing as a ton of people bitch about the movie daily at HissTank, I highly doubt they will be the ones compromising the majority of the audience. Adults, teens, parents and kids will most likely watch the movie. I don't doubt that old school fans will watch it, but I doubt they will be the majority.

I don't think its dumbed down for them. RAH had joes from all over the world, so I don't see why the old name has to be used for the new movie.

Well I don`t agree with anything you`ve said. But everything you say and I`ve said is just opinion, not fact so I`ll let it rest. We`ll agree to disagree?

I don't get it, what do you mean?

I mean, I don't like Snake-eyes himself as a character. I only like him at all cause he's Storm Shadow's opposite number, and because of the character interaction between the two of them (I know it's supposed to be the other way around... you're supposed to like Snake-eyes and by extension be interested in Storm Shadow's plight because it affects him). But yeah... for me Storm Shadow is the much more interesting of the two, and without Tommy A. I wouldn't care about Snake at all.

I mean, I don't like Snake-eyes himself as a character. I only like him at all cause he's Storm Shadow's opposite number, and because of the character interaction between the two of them (I know it's supposed to be the other way around... you're supposed to like Snake-eyes and by extension be interested in Storm Shadow's plight because it affects him). But yeah... for me Storm Shadow is the much more interesting of the two, and without Tommy A. I wouldn't care about Snake at all.

I think Snake-eyes is way more interesting. Deformed and muted in one of GI Joe`s earliest missions he has to overcome that.

Snake Eyes wasn't actually a mute, he just didn't talk.

I myself liked Snake Eyes from day one up until the point he became an uber ninja. He was just so much neater to me when he was an elite commando... then again I'm not a big fan of the "white ninja" story arc that was heavily overused in the '80s. Back then it seemed like any white guy with a Michael Dudikoff haircut could become a ninja.

Snake Eyes wasn't actually a mute, he just didn't talk.

I myself liked Snake Eyes from day one up until the point he became an uber ninja. He was just so much neater to me when he was an elite commando... then again I'm not a big fan of the "white ninja" story arc that was heavily overused in the '80s. Back then it seemed like any white guy with a Michael Dudikoff haircut could become a ninja.

Oh no, he was actually mute at one point then he got surgery that fixed it... but still didn't talk.

Oh no, he was actually mute at one point then he got surgery that fixed it... but still didn't talk.

Seriously? In the Marvel run I don`t remember that. I remember him getting surgery so he didn`t have to wear a mask but they couldn`t give him new vocal chords after they were burnt out by AV-gas in that accident.

Seriously? In the Marvel run I don`t remember that. I remember him getting surgery so he didn`t have to wear a mask but they couldn`t give him new vocal chords after they were burnt out by AV-gas in that accident.

it's been a horribly long time since I read it, but I remember the Baroness (or someone, maybe it was Dr. Venom was he still alive at that point?) saying how she was going to undue the surgery... or something. I need to recollect and re-read all the comics.

From what I recall, Snake Eyes is undergoing the surgery when the Baroness abducts him and Scarlett takes a bullet in the process. Stalker and Storm Shadow set off to rescue him while Scarlett is in a coma. After Snake Eyes recovers, escapes and does some damage he comes back and "revives" Scarlett from her coma by speaking her name.

Storm Shadow is the better of the 2. I have always liked him more, and thought that he always got the shaft, in favor of Storm Shadow, by the way he is treated in the comics, as well as Hasbro treats him in the toyline(moreso a few years back, anyone remember not getting a new sculpt O-ring Storm Shadow until 2004?). See Storm Shadow has to overcome his own inner demons as opposed to Snake Eyes' innocent personality but tragic pattern of life. Storm Shadow had to live a lie to find the truth. He got framed for a murder he did not even commit, and some of his own family thought he was the perpetrator too. He invited an outsider to the clan as an act of kindness, and ends up being overlooked for the outsider(Snake Eyes). He had to deal with his animosity towards Snake Eyes, the man whose live he saved, and in the end Snake Eyes still won the favor of Storm Shadow's uncles. As a result of Cobra Commander blackmailing Zartan into making the hit, Hard Master dies, and Storm Shadow is framed. All this would have never happened had he not extended his hand of friendship towards Snake Eyes. Not to mention, eventually Storm Shadow overcame the multiple brainwashings he endured under Cobra, and made his way back to the joes. He is a lot more interesting, due to the fact that not only does he have to fight his own internal struggle, but many of the people around him.

Now Snake Eyes is interesting too, but his character is basically the nice guy who fights well, and is mysterious, but has all kinds of bad stuff following him. He doesn't have to overcome nowhere nearly as much as Storm Shadow. Snake Eyes doesn't have to work to gain anyone's trust, he doesn't have to prove to anyone how loyal he is.

Storm Shadow is the better of the 2. I have always liked him more, and thought that he always got the shaft, in favor of Storm Shadow, by the way he is treated in the comics, as well as Hasbro treats him in the toyline(moreso a few years back, anyone remember not getting a new sculpt O-ring Storm Shadow until 2004?). See Storm Shadow has to overcome his own inner demons as opposed to Snake Eyes' innocent personality but tragic pattern of life. Storm Shadow had to live a lie to find the truth. He got framed for a murder he did not even commit, and some of his own family thought he was the perpetrator too. He invited an outsider to the clan as an act of kindness, and ends up being overlooked for the outsider(Snake Eyes). He had to deal with his animosity towards Snake Eyes, the man whose live he saved, and in the end Snake Eyes still won the favor of Storm Shadow's uncles. As a result of Cobra Commander blackmailing Zartan into making the hit, Hard Master dies, and Storm Shadow is framed. All this would have never happened had he not extended his hand of friendship towards Snake Eyes. Not to mention, eventually Storm Shadow overcame the multiple brainwashings he endured under Cobra, and made his way back to the joes. He is a lot more interesting, due to the fact that not only does he have to fight his own internal struggle, but many of the people around him.

Now Snake Eyes is interesting too, but his character is basically the nice guy who fights well, and is mysterious, but has all kinds of bad stuff following him. He doesn't have to overcome nowhere nearly as much as Storm Shadow. Snake Eyes doesn't have to work to gain anyone's trust, he doesn't have to prove to anyone how loyal he is.

Interesting. Good points, I can see why you like Storm Shadow more now.

As for Snake Eyes talks its slowly coming back to me. Almost every issue of the marvel series is sitting in my parent`s garage and hasn`t been touched for 10 years. Time for a re-reading next time I`m back in Australia.

yes, exactly thats why I love Storm Shadow... you forgot to point out how Snake got all huffy about Storm Shadow killing animals to hone is super-ninja-hearing what let's him shoot through walls. It's like if I moved in with a friend who played the drums, and told him if he practiced his drums I'd hate him forever!

Seriously though, Tommy A. is just a much more human character and more interesting where Snakey is just too perfect.

Even in a silly side story like Arashikage Showdown, Tommy shines much more brightly where he personally disposes of the sun stone to keep it out of the hands of people who would abuse it...

But then there was that horrible Ninja DVD where Tommy just acted like a total arse during his and Snake-eye's final tests and betrayed the clan, just because he was jealous.

but yeah, over all Tommy A rocks.

Edited by lord_breetai

But then there was that horrible Ninja DVD where Tommy just acted like a total arse during his and Tommy's final tests and betrayed the clan, just because he was jealous.

I have that DVD and yes it does suck. Haven't read Arashikage Showdown yet, I haven't seen it in my area. Storm shadow has way more to be angry about than Snake Eyes. Snake Eyes is the result of misfortune, Storm Shadow is the result of betrayal. Storm Shadow has to temper his desire for revenge, and his animosity/jealousy towards Snake Eyes. It doesn't help that Storm shadow saved his life in Vietnam and welcomed him into his own family afterwards.

You should check out the Storm shadow comic, the issues by Mark Robinson have horrible artwork, but the 2 guys that subbed in did a way better job. Storywise, its the meat of the series, and its by Hama. Its great, by the middle there is something resolved with Zartan. If Zartan goes against what was brought to him in that issue, he gives Storm Shadow all reason to finally kill him off.

Sorry going off topic to talk about GI Joe America's Elite again... there was one part of the comic up until where I dropped off that I really liked... that was the side-story about Zartan returning to the everglades to get a briefcase that contained reminders of his real life... since he needed them to keep his multiple personae straight, I thought that part was brilliant.

Yeah not sure this power armor is going to turn out well.

I think this is going to end up more like Transformers than anything. We'll get alot of the basic elements but it won't remember the source material much at all, except in the names and vague similarities in the characters.

Optimus Prime of the cartoon/comics would have never been punked by Megatron like he was in the movie, for example... not without dishing it out just as well (if not having it caused by a foolish minion getting in his line of fire). :D Similarly, I am fearing we'll get a mostly silent Snake Eyes, but he'll be far more like Snake Eyes of the cartoon than the main character of the comics. It's not a travesty unless they make him a Governator-style with one-liner quipping throughout. :ph3ar:

Sorry going off topic to talk about GI Joe America's Elite again... there was one part of the comic up until where I dropped off that I really liked... that was the side-story about Zartan returning to the everglades to get a briefcase that contained reminders of his real life... since he needed them to keep his multiple personae straight, I thought that part was brilliant.

I thought so too, since Storm Shadow was involved, and Zartan had to make a truce with him.

Yeah not sure this power armor is going to turn out well.

I actually like the power armor, we haven't seen Snake Eyes in his yet, and I hope Storm Shadow gets a set too.